Topic Stats

• 3,844 posts
  • 477 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by russdx
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 308 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
myfavoritemartian01 (resized).jpg
C53A4187-21CD-4186-A67C-962D6E8C9D03 (resized).jpeg
DRAngela (resized).JPG
FE298AD4-B51F-454E-BDC2-A810D8F55380 (resized).jpeg
A9C864EB-CEFF-4130-83DB-E3A7793480AA (resized).jpeg
laughing girl.gif
E7BA5BAA-BB49-49B9-9861-C44F5FDF653B (resized).png
FBE4EC0D-EFC9-4C0D-B089-BD8463D0BAC4 (resized).png
BFB261C1-04B4-4B55-B945-F10CEB3EF134 (resized).jpeg
B31643CB-9320-4408-AAF9-1D23A181954E (resized).jpeg
A9223CBF-B3B4-4B50-9E37-516CF2167624 (resized).jpeg
6A40D920-3EDD-408C-9AC6-57D076845227 (resized).jpeg
A2AFA653-4FF4-496B-B8D9-C5E8864BE8CA.gif
ADA9DA2E-B5D3-49C9-861D-7BE379376B38.gif
southpark (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #111 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by applejuice (1 year ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by vireland (60 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 1 year ago

I'm ready for some hot Jpop action for the price of a Kia. Bring that shit on!

What's left for John to rob from the EM graveyard? Rototargets? Flipping Flags?

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from pin2d:

I have no horse in this race - I'm not effected one way or the other if deeproot becomes a major pinball manufacturer or is a total failure, and I wasn't a Zidware customer.
If I were owed something from Zidware though, and knowing that right now JPOP has no funds to pay back Zidware customers and no means to make the machines without help...if deeproot can provide restitution to those effected by JPOP's past mistakes, isn't that a good thing? Or is JPOP so hated that - even if deeproot makes those effected whole - since they hired him, they'll never be accepted in pinball?

I think the issue is the Zidware suckers have already been "made whole" like 3 times and for the most part it always disastrously implodes. It's like a very sadistic Groundhog Day game for these folks.

I'll quote Ben heck "This can only end in tears."

Except for like 18 "lucky" Magic Girl owners I guess.

#86 1 year ago

That interview delivered!!!

Eagerly awaiting this promised "masterpiece!"

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I don't know about you guys but I'm psyched for "the 5 days of deeproot"!!!!

If it's five days of bullshit as tasty as that interview I seriously cannot wait!

#112 1 year ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Hello,
I have only just seen this on the TWIP site (yes i find out this type of thing second hand it seems on a public website....) , and to say the very least am quite shocked to be honest. I have no idea where they've got the 100k figure from, or why the tone is so aggressive???
I was contracted for over 2 years from August 2012 to August 2014 (if memory serves) but i started in June 2012 and i pulled the plug in May 2014 after being 3 months behind on invoice payments. I had 4 visits to Chicago during that time. My contract had a 2 year gag clause in it which i upheld and I even returned all my prototype assets in return for John paying up on the 3 months left which he never did of course.
This type of blatant lie and random statements is just really bizarre. All i've ever wanted was to be paid up in full for what i did and receive a game. That's it nothing more. I even created the magicgirlcode.org site and helped out owners on my own time with issues as i want this game to be a good one. Feel like i've being kicked in the nackers again.... !!
If it comes to it, then i'll just publish all my invoices with the dates and amounts, as i still have all my audited records!

Did Zidware/John at least pay for your flights over here?! A couple meals here and there?

#117 1 year ago
Quoted from stpcore:

"Pinball is hard" seems to be the common consensus of all of the current pinball manufacturers. Deeproot seems to be taking an opposing standpoint on this. I find this puzzling yet interesting for many reasons.
That said if they are selling machines for 5K or less with industry leading quality I would tend to believe that their version of a pinball machine will not be what we are used to playing. Perhaps a modified/simplified version of pinball that's more affordable to manufacture and would appeal to people that aren't familiar with pinball.
The confidence and statments this company brings to the table are shocking. Are the other manufacturers intimidated...I would guess not. It will be interesting to see if they can live up to these public statements and hold themselves accountable should they not deliver.

These guys are a joke and like most of the other Johnny-come-lately disasters this decade they will not be held accountable in any way shape or form. The only dummy who didn't make sure of that was the Predator guy.

#147 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

money and legalese talks.
both jim and jeremy reaching resolutions.
perhaps this new found money and legal team will enable JPOP to enforce any pinball patents he may have acquired during the past few years. another win for innovation.

It's gonna be a big loss for pinball if nobody else can use that ridiculous Magic Girl cabinet design.

1 month later
#179 1 year ago

My favorite Deeproot innovation is the elimination of whitewoods and test machines, which have always been a huge waste of time and money. These guys get it!

#186 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

It is clear JPop is a terrible businessman but that's not his job here. JPop can be an amazing designer but he can never finish anything.

Is there a single "legend" in pinball built upon so little? We are talking about a small handful of games, from decades ago.

#189 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

That's exactly my point. If the formula worked to produce masterpieces, why not try to duplicate it.

The formula DIDN'T produce masterpieces. His games are for the most part poorly regarded by serious players. They are flawed games that some find gorgeous and some find incredibly tacky, with ridiculous, problem-ridden development cycles and BOMs that helped put Williams out of the pinball business.

People need to stop backing this horse already. The most spectacular failure in pinball history is Jpop's true legacy and most of us are completely sick of this horseshit.

#220 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

His next court date is Monday, so we'll see!

LOL. I can see the interview now...

"What John Trudeau just needs is a manager and a dedicated team to make sure he's focused upon designing the most awesome masterpiece pinball machines ever built instead of getting distracted online. We are confident that pinball is easy, and that it's easier still now that we have assembled the greatest pinball design team in the history of the universe."

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from PinB:

Does anyone know who helped tweak/finish World Cup Soccer? Any good stories there?
That's one of my favorite games that somehow has JPop attached to its credits.

I always thought it was steve ritchie but "someone else."

STEVE: Oh, World Cup. World Cup was taken over.

MARK: It wasn't a bad pin, it's still all right, actually we still operate it.

STEVE: In the end it turned out to be pretty Ok, but in the beginning it was handled by a newbie. The game designer was a stubborn newbie, and it had to be taken over by someone else.

MARK: Did this happen very often?

STEVE: Actually it never happened before unless somebody died or got sick.

MARK: Did he abandon the project or did he just get the sack?

STEVE: Neither. He cooperated, learned and latter did Theatre of Magic and some other really good work. But when he first came in he thought he just knew everything about making pinballs and it is just not that kind of thing. You have to live it for a long time, you must have an affinity for mechanicals and you have to be able to work with other people.

#243 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hey! Anything that can POSSIBLY get those poor basturds their money back (or a machine) is worth a look see!

This is like the 3rd time they’ve been promised a lifeline.

At this point it’s past funny and is approaching cruel.

#275 1 year ago

I was skeptical until I realized deep root
Was the brains behind Elvira 3. Impressive.

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Honestly, I just cant figure out WHY he would have Jpop involved at all.

It's a cynical ploy, yet nobody has lost money in pinball recently underestimating the blind enthusiasm of people who can't get enough of "jpop magic."

He knows that even after all of this, there's tons of people just dying to believe that a "properly managed" Jpop can make their wildest dreams come true.

#312 1 year ago
Quoted from SprSnc:

"That we are aware of, no pinball machine ever manufactured has been truly “safe” or “suitable” for a home environment"
Interesting statement. .

There's nothing "interesting" about that statement, it's total unadulterated bullshit like almost everything they've said. A properly serviced pinball machine is about as dangerous in your home as vacuum cleaner or blender.

The absolute worst thing about the "pinball comeback" has been the parade of cynical johnny come lately clowns trying to jump on the gravy train before it derails and explodes in a valley.

#319 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Stick your fingers in a moving Time Expander to experience Dr Who at its finest ...
rd

That warning is great. I wonder who did the voice?

#354 1 year ago

That's cool. They've abandoned their "we'll make a Houdini policy" but glad to see they are standing firm on the "no whitewood or test machine" policy.

You gotta have principles!

#365 1 year ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Just rename it The Illusionist

And compromise the true creative vision of the genius?!?!?!

#369 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is it plausible that deeproot has a bunch of jpop pinball dioramas (ala Houdini), and just as American Pinball were led to believe they had a "nearly done" Houdini that they started showing and creating sales flyers for, the reality is jpop is awesome at dioramas and convincing people they are completed games (not needing whitewoods or test machines)?

I'll admit I thought his StyroKISS was very cool.

I almost sent him $15,000 right then and there.

#402 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can someone please just start a new thread when deeproot does more than hype and talk smack...
Pretty boring till they produce something

It's not THAT boring. I think most of us would be happy enough if they just keep doing what they are doing.

The last thing we need is more Deeproot threads.

1 week later
#469 1 year ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Nordman had a brief encounter with Heighway at one point in time... And check that place out now...

People will rationalize anything.

The fact that they’ve assembled this team of wash ups doesn’t mean the company plan is sound, or the people
They are paying have a firm belief in the company. It doesn’t mean ANYTHING, except that they convinced a bunch of old pinball designers to accept their money.

Sometimes the truth can be sobering.

1 month later
#737 1 year ago

So basically the 365 Days of Deeproot. Fascinating.

#741 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

They have taken a beating on Pinside without people seeing games. They need to change that narrative and let pinsiders get to actually know the company, good or bad.

You don't think they'd have been better off not letting us get to know them?

3 months later
#1001 11 months ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Coming in here very late to this thread but it is very interesting. There are a good number of industry folk who appear to be involved. That certainly has me intrigued.

Don't be too intrigued. Every single one of them was out of work.

#1004 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Probably because you can't afford to F up when you are spending millions of other people's $$$
Where is the "young new design talent" that understands pinball?
Probably making more $$ doing something else.

Stern is hiring people based not upon stuff they did 30 years ago, but on potential.

TNA is a huge hit and I've never heard of the guy who designed it before.

Deep Root is pinning it's hopes on Magic Girl, Gorgar 2 and Dr Dude 2 and AP brought the band back together for those of you who are big Lost in Space fans.

2 weeks later
#1031 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lets wait and see what they actually produce before getting all bent out of shape over nothing. It's called keeping an open mind!

Oh yeah, when I think "pinside" I DEFINITELY think "open minds."

I still can't believe these guys are bringing Jpop back.

#1037 11 months ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What's a bigger olive branch than assuming ownership of JPOP's pissed off customers, and giving them a free game?
Other than Pisiders needing something to be pissed about, I just don't get the angst here. If they hired JPOP and said F U to previous owners by asking them to buy one of his new games, I would totally get it. But that's not what they're doing. They're building games without taking money from anyone (whether that's successful or not remains to be seen) and in the process they're giving restitution to the people John screwed over. What the hell is there in that to be upset about?

I agree with you. Nothing to lose really. But this is like the 3rd JOP Savior to come along so try to temper your hopes..

Charlie-Brown-Football- (resized).jpg
#1060 11 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It wouldn’t help DR necessarily. I guarantee you investors don’t want a tax write off Odiner
They want to pay a shitload of tax. Means they made a shitload of profit

Not anymore. MASSIVE TAX CUT baby!!!

#1078 11 months ago
Quoted from bob_e:

First you have to make a PROFIT for tax write off.

That’s not even close to being true.

2 weeks later
#1236 10 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

but by the same token, absolutely nowhere near JJP games, and particularly Pirates.

LOL ya don't say!

Probably a good advertisement for not going so overboard on LCD development.

#1273 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

If pinball really wanted to attract massive amounts of dollar dropping customers, they’d ditch the entire concept of a head/backglass and look to redemption machines. Put in some super flashy lights, and use the head to house prizes... and make games simple to understand. That would attract attention.

The idea that pinball needs to become a redemption game is ridiculous.

Redemption games have ZERO room for skill, simple as that. They are completely different concepts.

A pinball-style redemption game might be cute but that's as far as it goes. You are never going to cross-polinate actual pinball with redemption because ops don't want to give away free stuff to skilled players.

2 months later
#1765 8 months ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The market WILL crash if there's a serious economic shock ... and one looks due in the next 2 years, and probably unavoidable in the next 3 given levels of debt in major economies. For those not following, US public spending deficit will double to more than $1Trillion this year and continue to worsen as rates rise.
If the market's flooded when that happens, it will be a lot worse.

That’s good news. Do you think prices of original AFMs will be around $1500 or closer to $2500 US when this happens?

#1811 8 months ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I got a good look at Magic Girl at Pinball Madness, and whatever J-Pop turns out with this company, everyone will be in line to buy.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah we’ve all seen pictures of magic girl.

It’s a purple bombed box of lights that cost $20,000 and doesn’t work.

Where does the line form?

1 month later
#1934 6 months ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I can't think of another show that suits a big reveal by deeproot other than TPF, which has become the best show out there, right in their backyard. This is very disappointing. Unless JJP surprises us, there may not be a big reveal of anything at TPF.

Great. I'm going this year and was looking forward to just playing a bunch of cool games, not a dog and pony show of people competing for Pinsiders' attention.

Just as Paul Masson will not sell any wine before it' time, I'm encouraged to see the Deep Root folks also adhering to this formula. Only when everything is just right will these games be revealed.

#2024 6 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ben heck, current VR may be dead, but is it going to stay that way? My experience has seen the equipment getting lighter and less cumbersome. It is just a matter of mass, bandwidth (resolution), and lag... once all three of those problems are ironed out, VR can be fun. I've played Beat Saber on the latest commercial gear, along with a bunch of other VR titles, and they are getting better. Not sure, but resolution and bandwidth and lag will be a problem with trying to play virtual pinball right now, but not that far into the future. You are spot on on the LCD playfield.

Nobody wants to wear that Shit. It’s why 3D TV flopped.

I’m not surprised at all that not a single person I know is into VR.

#2054 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I know lots, including myself. Yes, it has its drawbacks, but it also has its fans. I mean, come on, Pinball was dead too according to the populous and currently even though it isn't cheap it is still cheaper than pinball.

That's a terrible analogy, as I don't think anybody has invested tens of billions of dollars in pinball lately.

People aren't spending that kind of money to turn VR into a niche hobby "that has its fans" that most people don't even realize still exists.

All the commercials I've seen (or haven't seen? They don't seem to be running them on NFL games this year) feature loads of happy families, old ladies, kids, all with these dorky headsets on giggling and rolling around on the couch, joining in on the hilarity and techno wonder as a family, shocked and stupified at the dramatically changed world they live in. I think we can all admit that hasn't happened yet en masse, nor does it appear to be on the horizon, immediate nor otherwise.

#2067 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

. I doubt having a headset on is really ever going to go anywhere until some tech comes along that allows you to just wear some form of contacts.

My mom ain't wearing no dorky visor and she as shit isn't gonna stuff some electro-contact lens in her eyes just so she can roll around the couch and laugh like those dumb ads on TV.

I also won't be doing that.

Just admit it: Pinball is huge and VR is a novelty which will soon be gone forever!

#2079 6 months ago
Quoted from Zablon:

no law suits 30 years later when you are running for office!

I really doubt that.

You think unsolicited dick pics are bad?!

#2090 6 months ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Pinball doesn't need to keep up with something (VR) that has nothing to do with it.

Correct. Pinball has always done its worst when it tries to be something else.

1 week later
#2191 6 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Jpop is bad karma. Period.
Only the lawyers win.

I guarantee you on some laywers' forum there's a whole 500 page thread of people bitching about unpaid JPOP legal bills.

4 weeks later
#2285 5 months ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Speaking of Deep Roots in my backyard (these guys trample lawns when not using hoverboards).....I'm first hearing about all of this now, is a BTTF remake updated version from Deeproot really a possibility ?! I've always loved the theme, but to me the Data East version is lack luster. I recently just got two Boxer Puppies just turned 1! their names are Doc Emmett Brown & Marty McFly ! (Doc's the white one, Marty McFly is the black & white one)
[quoted image]

Yes!!!

It’s a possibility!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 weeks later
#2305 4 months ago

I'm pretty psyched about this game.

SHould the full-size Flux Capacitor go in the backglass? Or a smaller one on the playfield?

I'm guessing Biff sits this one out and all the callout money goes to Chris Lloyd, which is fine with me. he rules.

1 month later
#2468 3 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You guys aren’t really still thinking this is a real company are you ?

It's endearing in some strange way.

#2475 3 months ago
Quoted from brucipher:

If it weren't a real company, you would think a lot of the pinball design veterans working for them would have jumped ship by now.

These veterans were unemployed till DR came knocking, so as long as they are getting paid why would they jump ship?

The fact that they are still getting paid is promising. But wouldn't say it's a guarantee we'll ever see any pins.

#2480 3 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Any pins? Robert told us we would see more pins released from DR in one year than have ever been produced before. Has that statement been officially walked back yet?

No pinball is still easy and they'll still put out more games in a year than has ever happened. That's still the current info I believe.

#2486 3 months ago
Quoted from brucipher:

David Thiel didn't seem to need the job there...

Oh my bad.

Real company!

#2489 3 months ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I am not defending deeproot. Until they start shipping games they are just a bunch of hot air. It just seems to me they have their shit together way more than any of the other startups over the last several years. No need to be a dick.

They hired a bunch of old guys who were on the street, and threw a lot of money around.

I have no idea if they'll ever put any games out, but I don't see why you think they "have their shit together."

They've already starting the "talk big, postpone big" routine we are used to half a dozen times over from the new companies. Clearly it's a wait and see but don't see why you think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

#2491 3 months ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Because at this point they have not taken consumers money, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt. If nothing ever shows up, oh well, nobody loses, and on top of that some old guys collected some paychecks.

Either they'll put out some pins, or it'll turn into a disaster like it always does. My personal doubt benefiting doesn't really matter one way or the other.

They've earned nothing as far as I'm concerned but that's just my opinion.

3 weeks later
#2580 79 days ago

I can’t wait to see the 80 page patent for their on/off switch.

#2582 79 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

And I'm just hoping they can make a more affordable (under $5K) game that shoots nice and fun to play. There is still room to cater to operators and bar-cades.

I can’t see how you’d look at that cabinet patent and think “cheap.”

Stern was selling games with playfield pegs for $5300. What do you think a game with a built in rotisserie system, about 3 sets of rails and hinges, and an elaborate counterweight system to keep the entire thing from flipping over and
Crushing you to death is gonna cost?

#2591 79 days ago
Quoted from NYP:

That's pretty far fetched to think they used a counterweight system, they're probably going to use a hydraulic system to raise and lower the legs to balance the weight.k

Damn! Deep root - hire this man!

#2592 79 days ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

To me it looks like the playfield sits on rails ro make the playfields swappable, my guess is generic cab art or magnetic decals, swap the playfield, translight and side decals and you have a new game. Only one cab needed, possiblydo it with one or 2 connectors for a quick easy swap

This has been an unwanted and poorly
Received feature whenever it’s been tried. Making a game “swap friendly” has sold exactly
Zero extra pinball games in history.

#2601 79 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

We all buy one DR cabinet, then each title comes in its own shipping “Roady” case. These will be packaged so you can take them as luggage, and they will expect we take or “favorite” DR games with us to our friends house, who, having a DR cabinet, allows us to plug it in and play.
Sounds like a viable solution to the problem of “we got to go over to Dan’s house to play the latest DR title he just bought” and could you imagine a parlor of empty cabinets where we all bring are favorite titles and play? Like maybe a pin-alley?
Anyone getting where this is going?

It’s going nowhere because this is a solution nobody wants for a dilemma nobody has ever had.

#2611 79 days ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

If there was a Williams widebody cab with swappable playfields of IJ, STTNG, and TZ for $10k all in, it would sell.

Right, and if my aunt has wheels she’d be a wagon.

You realize that what you propose we’d all buy is completely impossible from a cost standpoint, right?

Would this thing sell at the $30,000 or so it would actually have to cost to be feasible? Unlikely.

#2616 79 days ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

You need to stop buying those $10 cups of NY coffee. It would be closer to 10 than 30 (so less than $20k).
Two words man. Octo assembly. Lol. I guess we will see.
I’m glad you changed your stance on a swappable game not being a good idea and that you agree that it’s marketability will come down to price.

Yes. I’m convinced. Your insane idea that I can one day buy 4-1 classic Williams widebody kit for $10,000 is indeed a good one.

Consider my stance changed.

Speaking of beverages, what in God’s name are you and ICe drinking down there in Texas. Is there something in the water?

#2621 79 days ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Its 4 games now? I love your snarky foolishness. It’s always been amusing. $30k is ludicrous for 3 modular games. We were only talking about the concept, not the exact pricing. Let the mfr worry about that.

The entire swap concept has been ludicrous since it was first tried in the 1990s. Nobody wants this.

Again you can dream up a cheap classic Williams 3 in 1 like I can dream up a 3 way with a reanimated Marilyn Monroe and a Young Sofia Lauren. Doesn’t mean it will ever happen or is even in the realm of possibility.

#2635 78 days ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I think you are all crazy, swappable playfields makes so much sense on so many levels. I hope that is what the patient is all about. We are all running out of space and I am tired of having to sell my favorite games for space reasons.

I beg to differ but I’m an open-minded guy, id love to be convinced. It certainly makes Zero sense for the pinside crowd.

“Hey who wants to come see
My rad pinball collection?”

Vs.

“Who wants to come see my one game and stack of playfields?”

#2639 78 days ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Oh so now we are saying you can only own one or the other??? Oh I forget,if I buy a interchangeable pinball machine, I will have to sell my collection? Are you people for real??

You can use as many question marks as you like but that does nothing to change the fact that 45 years of attempts At the swap playfield thing has never borne success.

Right???

#2640 78 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well you and Kaneda of all people should love this concept with the limited expensive space you have in New York City

I don’t know about him but I got 15 games set up to play.

Not an issue for me.

Besides have you seen how we live?! Where am I gonna store a bunch of playfields in crates?

#2678 77 days ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I disagree. The negatives have already been addressed and shown in reality. Game hardware (boards) become restrictive and cannot be updated with new games. Traditional cabinet artwork will not be possible. You will save some money but not that much. Populated pf's are heavy and cumbersome. You will need somewhere to store them safely and easy way to swap them. Not many people are physically able or will want to do this. When selling a pf, it will be impossible to demonstrate everything works. Even if you drop it in your cab to show it works, what happens when it does not work in another cab? It will add cost and complexity to something most people are not asking for. Most people just want a great game with awesome playfield features for a competitive cost. If this somehow makes pins cheaper or easy to maintained then that would be cool. On the surface it just looks like it adds complexity, costs, and more issues to deal with.

I love how people read something like this and then say:

"I can't believe you wouldn't be into a swappable playfield! It makes so much sense! Give me one reason it's a bad idea!!!"

Err...ok...

#2681 77 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Actually I‘m kind of still waiting for somebody to give a good reason. All I‘m reading is that people wouldn‘t want it.

Yeah you are right. Not a single good reason has been posted stating why it's a bad idea and has consistently failed whenever tried for the past 45 years.

These pinball companies are morons! Been leaving money on the table since Nixon was president!

#2682 77 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Why are you guys discussing swappable playfields when there are none?

I'm sorry did I miss out on all the other fabulous Deep Root news we should be talking about instead?

#2686 77 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You did miss out that (all of) you are disussing some feature wich doesn't exist/ is not mentioned in this patent.
That said, feel free to continue discussing off-topic stuff. *insert mom-joke*

Speculation in a Pinside thread?

welli-never (resized).jpg
#2688 77 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Sorry, I forgot why no major manufacturer posts here anymore...

That's ok! Deep Root still does.

#2690 77 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

"Major manufacturer"
Let's discuss haircuts!
I have one.
(At least partially.)

Dude that's a low fucking blow.

Not all of us have hair.

1 week later
#2793 64 days ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

No doubt the industry needs a pricing shakeup, because MSRP is getting way out of hand (going up and up with no sign of stopping in sight). If DR can change current craziness and do it, through their motto of “Pinball for the Masses”, this’ll be a new era for silver ball entertainment. Here’s hoping DR can bring some balance back, through decent pricing for the consumer, of top designs with fun and unique tables. Other industries figure this out, so why can’t pinball?

The industry has figured it out. A Stern pro provides everything you are asking for.

#2812 63 days ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

That is a very wide aspect ratio!

Looks
Like they plan on using a screen like the one on afmre

Does this count as 1 day of
deep Root?

#2904 62 days ago

I’m a little hung over and sun-baked from a few days in Florida...

But ball tracking cameras instead of switches? What in God’s name are you people going on about?

Why not train hamsters to follow the ball and register switch hits? Sounds even more innovative!

#2947 61 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Modern" pinball machines are laughably primitive compared to most other things.
If a large tech driven company bothered to do anything in the realm of Pinball they would squash every company like an elephant on an ant.

Don’t you think they’d just do something else besides fuck around with primitive pinball machines?

#2959 61 days ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Any word on when the reveal is supposed to be?

You missed it!

It was at TPF.

#2982 61 days ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

And his games are still better than any pins released in the last 20 years.
f

His games suck ass.

The best one he ever made he didn't even finish (World Cup Soccer - thanks to whomever at Williams took that project over).

There's never been a single more overrated "classic" pinball designer than Jpop. I do not and never will understand the cult.

#2986 61 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I own 3 of his games. My collection is mixed and TOTAN is a great game. All his games shoot smoothly. Hated TOTAN, wife loved it, couldn't sell because of her, glad I kept it as it is a phenomenal game.

Yeah it's a dumb ass game with bad software and gimmicks he stole from ancient Williams EMs just like the rest of 'em.
Looks pretty though!

#2994 61 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

Come on now.
If TOM or TOTAN had better code they'd be Top 3 pins instead of Top 10 pins.

And if my grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon.

You really like those games that much? Top TEN!?

Still under the Jpop magic spell!

#2996 61 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

The guy who designed Cirqus Voltaire needs to bring out more games. Bring 'em on, please !

Just send him $15,000 and I'm sure he'll whip something up for you.

#3050 60 days ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think that is really dismissive of some of the very smart engineers that work at Stern for example.

Of course it is. I've seen this argument before and it's always stupid and offensive.

There are PLENTY of people who work at Stern because they WANT to. They'd rather work in the pinball business than somewhere else. Many people have turned down higher-paying jobs to work in the pinball industry.

Most pinball companies aren't just hiring people who are otherwise unemployable off the street. They are hiring talented people who want to work on pinball machines.

#3073 60 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

I found an image of what your smart phone would look like if it were limited to 35 year old tech like a pinball machine.
[quoted image]

Exactly.

That's why people like pinball, because it's basically the same as it was 30 years ago.

For everybody else there's Lexy Lightspeed. Don't exactly see those flying into everybody's collections.

People who want "innovation" should find a new hobby. People like pinball because it's pinball.

I cannot believe how many of you are taking this ball tracking camera to replace all playfield switches idea seriously. Why are you even into pinball if "old tech" isn't good enough for you?

#3088 60 days ago

I advise all of you innovation fiends to buy the Multimorphic product. It's the most innovative pinball machine in the market.

They are giving you what you claim to want, and what you aren't going to get from companies like Stern any time soon. Support them.

#3129 59 days ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Could we please keep this thread on topic? This thread should be about deeproot and any associated updates, reveals, etc. This thread has in large part turned into a thread about new technology that could be incorporated into pinball. I feel there is plenty to discuss regarding new pinball technology to warrant its own thread. Just my thoughts and very much looking forward to what deeproot has to offer...best of luck to them...thanks!

If you truly love a thread, you must set it free.

#3139 58 days ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Im not trying to stir the pot but as someone who was extremely upset at having missed out on preorder of the first two of the three games I am very curious as to specifics of the lawsuits filed by Jpop against those who filed suit against him.
what did they do to him do?
Defamation/slander?
On a positive note I Hope deeproot will produce these machines and deliver something to the people who preordered.
Wayne’s MM fiasco went on for many years (almost 10?)and amazingly the games finally got made.
hopefully another miracle will happen!

Wayne was a lot of hot air but he never stole anybody’s money. Hard to call it a “fiasco”.

#3198 57 days ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm surprised how little discussion there is of how JPop absolutely screwed and took advantage of American Pinball.
The shenanigans didn't end with his Zidware operations.

Is this a joke?

You’d think bored rich guys trying to jump on the Pinball gravy train and milk some cash would be smart enough to do a “google search” as the kids call it before basing their entire launch on one dude?

People do a google search before buying a toaster much less throwing millions into making bad pinball games.

Zero sympathy. Probably why there’s been so little discussion, pretty open and shut case of idiocy.

#3219 55 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok I thought it was some proto that was being converted. Would have been so sick.

Man if you like that cardboard Alice in wonderland you’ll LOVE that foam core KISS!

All of jPop’s paper games Are totally Sick.

#3271 49 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Apparently John took deposits on a "Space Mission X" game that is part of the claim?

I’m pretty sure there was a point where John would promise anybody any game they wanted with any features they wanted within any time frame they wanted and he would accept a cash deposit for it.

#3292 48 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes like a doctor reading an xray, a dentist poking your teeth or a contractor looking at your walls.
Just because you don't notice something doesn't mean it's not wrong.
But hey it's art, easy fix.

In the end tho, the letter H hasn’t been changed and almost nobody cares. The gradient fill in game of thrones hasn’t cost a single sale of that title.

I think we all appreciate the efforts of the artisans involved in making our pinball machines what they are. But it’s undeniable that some things are more important than others.

And some complaints tend to seem a little more nit picky than others.

#3377 45 days ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

CV did so bad on route the games were sold alright ..... NIB at fire sale prices

For real.

None of his games were big sellers. Where do people come up with this stuff?

2 weeks later
#3423 26 days ago
Quoted from JodyG:

More hype.

Sit right back and you'll hear a tale...

A three hour tour!

A three hour tour!

#3503 25 days ago

So a problematic TNA is responsible for the "promise big, delay big" routine reminiscent of every other failed pinball start up?

Believe me, I hear that. I once had a janky lawnmower that kept me from filing my taxes on time.

I gotta say I was skeptical until he said those magic words, "dimpled like the moon." Are we finally gonna see some dimple-free pinball machines?

BRING. IT. ON!!!

#3530 25 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

If you are writing about deeproot, you are doing exactly what he wants us to do, talk about deeproot. Good, bad, ugly, it doesn’t matter to him, piss you off? Why not, you will still want to look behind the tent flap at the side show and see the new shiny things if and when (and when is really the big IF) they show up.
I think it is all pretty much Marketing 101... the more they talk about you, good or bad, at least you are on their minds.
If I was him, I would come on here and stir the pot every time this thread goes dormant... or wait, isn’t that what he is doing?

What does that actually accomplish?

Last year at NYCPC, we had a drunk crash our event. It generated 5 pages of discussion here on Pinside. Exactly ZERO of that "buzz" helped us grow the event, grow our team, or sell any more tickets this year. It was worthless.

This year, we had no such "drama." We had exactly ZERO discussion about the event here, as nobody on Pinside gives a shit about that stuff.The event itself was a huge success, with twice as many people (and income I may add) than last year. Pinside buzz or lack thereof it here had nothing to do with it - but the growth came from everywhere but Pinside.

So stow the "he's a marketing genius" angle, it's total bullshit. He's doing himself no favors with this amateur hour act. This is not how pros behave. This is not how the CEO of any respectable company in any industry behaves. It's doing absolutely nothing to instill confidence in his fledgling company, and it's alienating potential customers. If the product they eventually put out matches the laughable quality of everything else they've shown us so far - from the top - their games will be garbage.

Any "buzz" he's winning here is absolutely worthless. Pinside buzz is the cheapest buzz in the world to buy, but also wafts away quickly like a fart in the wind as soon as something else comes along, or people just get tired of it by lunch time. There's literally nothing easier on pinside than generating thread views through outlandish or ridiculous behavior, but in the end it gets you nothing.

He can talk all he wants. The natives are getting restless, and this is starting to look like every other shitshow we've seen in pinball. Promise big, delay big, talk shit...we've seen it all before. Great if you have a podcast. Worthless if you are trying to launch a pinball company.

If you think this is "marketing 101" you went to one shitty business school.

#3533 25 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Noise and legit interest are not the same thing
Pinball is small enough if you are making games... you don't really need to rely on drama to bubble your name to the top. A good product will get talked about enough on its own.

So sick of people quoting PT barnum.

Barnum was selling tickets to freak shows and circuses. He wasn't selling ridiculously expensive consumer products.

People just parrot this stuff without even thinking. "Duhhhh...it's marketing 101!!! He's getting you suckers to talk about him!!!"

Who gives a shit? Worthless. Especially when the tickets to this freak show are free (so far).

#3536 25 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I don't get what you're writing (seriously).
First you write last years "buzz" didn't help with ticket sales & stuff this year.
Next you write this years event was twice as big.
As for me I never heard of the tourney before incident and know what it was this year. (With no effect for you of course since I'm halfway around the globe of course.)

I'll concede it's not the clearest point

I'll just say there was five pages of discussion. Zero of the people in that thread bought an NYCPC ticket (trust me, I have the registration list) nor will they ever. The buzz provided nothing but a distraction.

#3546 25 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

You missed the point. Your event did not stage the drunk crashing the event, you did not purposefully use this event to promote it the next year, you didn’t do anything PT would have told you to do, and you wonder why no buzz was generated?
Take a marketing course Levi, because anyone will tell you, it doesnt matter what you are selling, high end goods or tickets to freak shows, talk is talk is your name on peoples lips.
PT would have taken out adds the next year saying “come to our event, our event is so famous even the drunks crash our party”
That is Marketing 101.

If making empty promises and announcing countless delays while insulting all of your competition and a large portion of your potential customers is "marketing 101," why don't I see the rest of corporate America pursuing this model? You'd think if it's indeed "101" you'd see this all the time.

Is Deep Root the only company who has figured this out and brilliant enough to take this path? Are they the only ones who bothered with 101 in business school, and were the rest so arrogant they skipped straight to 102?

#3550 25 days ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Taking into account the bravado of Deeproot I would say we will see something really great or absolutely nothing. No middle ground IMO.

I see it differently. I expect they'll crank out some games, if not the "tens" we've been threatened with. But my expectations are dropping daily based upon the entire tenor of this organization and its leadership.

Middle ground is exactly what I expect. I don't think we'll get the spectacular failure nor the mind-blowing success that would make for the two most entertaining alternatives.

Think "Houdini."

#3553 25 days ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

And the pinside keyboard warriors telling that guy how to do his business isn't just talk? So what if they missed a deadline they imposed on themselves? They have not taken any preorders or any money. They owe us nothing. They talk big just like a lot of people here talk big. Why waste the energy getting all worked up? You plan on running off their reps from pinside just like all the rest? Would you feel better to hear nothing until a game is announced to the public? Pinside lives off this drama.

Pinside lives off of people talking about pinball and what's going on with pinball?

vhh9hP3 (resized).jpg
#3607 24 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The funny thing is, outside of Pinside, you ask a random casual player at an arcade, or off the street, “Hey, you ever heard of Deep Root Pinball, and did you know they are going to revolutionize pinball manufacturing?”..

Not sure why that's funny?

Blank stare.

#3613 24 days ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Because the seriousness people throw around in here is pure bullshit on the planetary scale... because on this planet right now, statistically speaking, nobody gives two Hershey squirts about deep root pinball except Pinside. That makes me laugh, har-de-har-har!

In that case you should be drawing equal hearty guffaws from the Black Knight Sword of Rage thread, or in fact every word posted here.

Hilarity abounds.

#3619 24 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Wait, is the logo NOT meant to be a weird bird head? I thought it was a bird as soon as I saw it and couldn't figure out why the bird.

I would have loved to have been in on that "creatives" meeting.

"Ok, we have a terrible logo that reminds people of a butthole, or an avocado slung in a jock strap. Can anybody here make it worse, or at least more exciting?"

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium
$ 279.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside