New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 203700)

deeproot Pinball thread

By pin2d

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 12,961 posts
  • 845 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by NoQuarters
  • Topic is favorited by 226 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,171 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

1101f1 (resized).jpg
681B9653-14B6-402A-8A8D-B8E313A76F91 (resized).png
wrong (resized).jpg
20201022_224804 (resized).jpg
A864C0E7-DB54-4EE6-9B63-B31D4EB6EA5A (resized).jpeg
Sean Connery Jeopardy (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
3B8D200A-1174-493A-943D-96F0EBC45037 (resized).png
20201021_072532 (resized).jpg
not-easy-button-150x150 (resized).png
ScientificDeepBrontosaurus-size_restricted.gif
petrockbar (resized).jpg
don't use drugs (resized).JPG
9D63D1AC-10D1-4DA4-AC66-3E16FC881D74 (resized).jpeg
febo-dutch-automat (resized).jpg
the-automat-birth-of-a-fast-food-nations-featured-photo (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

15 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (2 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by vireland (1 year ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (11 months ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (11 months ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (11 months ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (11 months ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (11 months ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (11 months ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (11 months ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clempo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Agreed because Jpop. Anything he is attached to is doomed to fail. I sure would love to be proven wrong though!

It is clear JPop is a terrible businessman but that's not his job here. JPop can be an amazing designer but he can never finish anything. The only thing deeproot needs to do is let JPop dream of something and force him to pass the design to a second designer with a team of mechanical engineers to make the thing actually work. Isn't it how it played out with JPop's past masterpieces anyway?

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Who had to be bailed out by several other designers on *every* game

That's exactly my point. If the formula worked to produce masterpieces, why not try to duplicate it.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

His answer to code has to be one of the weirdest things I've ever heard.

When I read this I thought they would make the code open source, or make the system user programmable like Little Big Planet on PS4.

#204 2 years ago

Does anybody have any idea what Quad Assembly could be?

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Hilton.
to help humor your insatiable appetite to know who people are,
let me help you by eliminating four of the staff members for you.

Ha ha, maybe Robert is the one taking the picture!

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's scheme'ing all the way
Be over confident...
Throw out buzz terms to make yourself seem associated with known successes...
Create new terms or ideas that make you seem innovative...
Tease with ideas/concepts that are enticing, yet you can't explain or give too much detail about..
Create links and analogies to well know successes
Associate with some past respected celebrity or well known person to give some impression of credibility...
It's the same psychological manipulation that con men have used for centuries.
People should recognize the formula from every 'as seen on TV' telemarketing ad... it's all the same crap aimed at pulling the same strings

The only people that can possibly be con'ed here are past zidware customers that file a claim and deeproot employees.
For the rest of us, they don't take pre-order money, so anything they say is noise until your distributor shows you the machine in a box.

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

But talk like this explaining their "no assembly line" concept seems especially nonsensical:"Quad Assembly will provide rapid and dynamic on-demand manufacturing abilities that current pinball manufacturers will have a hard time to match. We’ll be able to throttle and provide process fluctuations with flexible distribution. Following this concept allows for cross-functional staffing resulting in higher productivity and decreased manufacturing costs."

Now that I read it again, this sounds like on-demand manual construction in China in small batches with employees trained for many different tasks.

2 weeks later
#447 2 years ago

This deal cannot be evaluated until they define what the shipping costs will be. Otherwise they can say shipping & handling is worth $5K extra. I understand they cannot specify a specific amount, but they could declare shipping will be the same cost the carrier charges, or they could let the buyer choose his carrier.

#457 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's easy to spend other people's money...
I don't think anyone is 'angry' at deeproot for trying. What the anti feelings are about is the televangelist, 'as seen on TV' snail oil speak and dismissive nature towards things people know as credible ways to achieve success.

Haha, my concern about shipping cost is exactly related to this 'as seen on TV' sentiment.

#521 2 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

You misunderstood. We will be taking a hammer to every PF.
—dT

I get it, the playfield will be nailed to the cabinet

1 year later
#2760 1 year ago

With so many machines in the works, obviously their catalog will include many games available at the same time. Could it be that octo manufacturing means they can produce up to 8 different titles on the same line, constantly mixing what is built depending on current orders?

#2775 1 year ago
Quoted from Netzley_Crunch:

His best guess was a machine 14-16 months from now contingent on the manufacturing guys making sure everything works. Sorry if this is cumulative with all knowledge already out there.

If this is true and they honor the Zidware claims, it means a boatload of cash is about to leave the ship at the end of June. Ouch.

2 weeks later
#3244 1 year ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Like when they said they’d ship more pins than all other manufacturers combined in 2019? :p

Tough but still feasible. All they have to do is ship 1 unit each of 12 different titles.
Robert says that would put a dent in the backlog of whitewoods but not deplete it.

4 weeks later
#3668 1 year ago
Quoted from jorro:

Why would a bird appear from an ahole?
Thats a weird logo
And why the cracks?
Oooo crack... i see
Whell thats just eggceptional

An homage to the first pinball with flippers?
Conversely, if those are supposed to be the roots of a tree, why the pinball meteorite?
Personally, I see an eye injury caused by an air ball breaking the backglass.

5 months later
#6290 11 months ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

OMG!! Robert’s interview on Kaneda is blowing my mind away!! He just called Stern “weak”! Is this guy crazy??? No doubt he is!! Who wants to bet this company goes belly up!

He said Stern's business model is weak. He said they have high fixed costs and they might have a hard time adapting to the next economic downturn especially with increased competition. Can you really ship 3 cornerstones, 1 vault and 1 boutique machine per year during a recession? He needs to polish his message but he may have a point. Only the future will tell.

#6324 11 months ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

21 TITLES! Lol

RM said many of those are only 15% done. It just means that's how many titles they have dreamed up or secured.

Gomez said Stern plans at least 3 years in advance which makes it 3x(3 cornerstone + 1 vault + 1 boutique) = 15.
I bet they juggle with more licenses than that at any one time.

1 week later
#6779 11 months ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If they've designed it so you can only hit the ramp with the ball in Motion that's alright it's a little bit different and more challenging . Some people will like it , some won't . No one ever said you have to like every game . This game doesn't have the " buy me now " factor for me but hopefully future ones will .

I think people complain because the ramp cannot be made from a trap AND there is nothing to reliably feed the inlane to shoot it in motion.

9 months later
#9496 46 days ago
Quoted from denoument:

You must be from the future. The site hasn't actually updated for me. It still shows the 3rd teaser.

Same thing happened to me. Just click the browser reload button to see the new content.

1 week later
#11067 35 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No mention of production capabilities
Seems to me you gotta be able to actually assemble games and put them in a box
How is that gonna happen?

This idea is brilliant. Sell the machines as kits and you don't need an assembly line.
It's easy to have many machines titles on the line if there is no line.
Seriously, the only way I can afford a NIB is if the price is much lower and I assemble it myself.
I tinker with my machines as much as I play them already. It would be a fun project.

#11289 34 days ago
Quoted from proco:

Also I don't quite understand the layout at the bottom ... like this is what I would expect a "macbook touch bar" integration to look like if they still want to sell this as a pinball machine ...
(sorry for the low effort photoshop image )
[quoted image]

Yes, that half-height screen looks much better. The 21in display is available at just above 1/3 the height, so you could keep the shooter gauge to the right.
Change that and add rounded corners to your photoshop image plus triangle stickers on the apron and we are good to go.

#11290 34 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

The backbox looks great, however it will not be able to show movie-clips, so less integration. The ipad seems really odd, and not that useful, and since it´s not standard size, you are probably f****d if it breaks in the future.
The colour and design of the machine seems really cool.

That screen size is for advertisement and is very common in Asia apparently. Aliexpress has many suppliers.

#11292 34 days ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The fact that Robert talks about octo manufacturing, and now we see the bottom side of the playfield printed like a schematic (every single component and wire labeled IN COLOR) which adds cost, I'm guessing manufacturing is going to be contracted out. The playfield in a sense becomes a giant drawing to follow along. I know gottlieb used to print on the underside, but gottlieb also built over-engineered tanks (and were the first company to go out of business in the 90s).[quoted image]

In the 90s, Gottlieb may have over-engineered the hardware but it is well documented they were rushing the design process compared to Williams and it shows in almost all titles. If the game play sucks, it's not a good plan to stay in business.

#11301 34 days ago
Quoted from proco:

Just for you - 5 more minutes of low effort photoshop editing
(Yes, the lockdown bar looks bad when I just use the smear tool)
[quoted image]

Nice.

My mistake, they are already using the smaller 19in x 3.5in screen in the pinbar. They could use 16.3in x 2.25in to reduce the height. At that width, they would need to add a shooter gauge to make it look good.

#11775 30 days ago

They should sell the shipping crate now to make some coin.
And the lifting accessory too.

#11776 30 days ago

Can someone with manufacturing background estimate how long it can take to procure pinbars with rounded corners in sufficient quantities?

#11807 30 days ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Again...not knowing much....why can't the lock down bar and even the whole body be made out of fiberglass? (it's good enough for a corvette)
It also seems that there are plenty of materials out there that would stand up to a metal ball better than wood.
Why can't the backglass and wraparound be a big screen so you can change images? (and make animated backglasses neat)
It would be cool if there could be a projector that could project an image on the bottom of the glass.
There's GOTTA be a better way to raise and lower legs than that screwy pad thing on the bottom...
I like wires that have snap in connections and no solder. The easier it is to replace things the better.
Just things off the top of my head as I drink coffee getting ready for football....

The problem with screen backboxes is they are unattractive and undescriptive when turned off.
Connectors are neat but they are also a frequent point of failure.

#12054 27 days ago
Quoted from metallik:

If it's true y'all fixed the ramp, let's see gameplay vids instead of crate demos.

You can see for yourself in Cary Hardy's latest video. There is a short amount of gameplay video around the 20:06 mark. They shoot the ramp successfully multiple times in rapid succession.

#12083 26 days ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

If RM really wanted to make pinball, which he’s proven he doesn’t, he’d contact Gerry and offer to buy him out. Judging by Gerry’s passion, he’d refuse the offer to keep control of what he’s started, to keep on improving.

On a K-man podcast, RM stated he's willing to contemplate deals with other manufacturers except for Gerry. He said that bridge was crossed a long time ago. There was no explanation of what happened.

#12556 21 days ago
Quoted from djd9617:

Honestly I think DR's efforts are not going to the game specifically, but instead going toward turning pinball machines into IOT smart devices... that may or may not be an avenue for ad revenue, microtransactions, etc. I hope not, but the spidey senses are tingling.

I heard this is the business model for some smart TVs and the reason they could lower the price. It's not enough that Google is spying on you when you watch YouTube, now your TV is doing that too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Various Other Swag
Shoot Again Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 18.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 5.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rods Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clempo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside