Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TaTa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14922 3 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

Anyway thinking about their business model and trying to make sense of it, I'll write here my thoughts and wonder which scenario will happen
The scenario that will happen imo is that games will get made, it will only take a lot longer than most think and will not be an easy path.
It's possible John pulls out a rabbit out of his magic hat and producing the games is outsourced to AP. AP has the line and experience, and had stated in the past they could do contract work ? They've worked together with John in the past, so they know each other.
That would explain why DR doesn't talk about their production line. And if everything is already planned, you could produce games fast and deliver in a few months. That's what Pinball Bros are planning now. That is feasible.
CGC is another option, but I doubt they are involved.. They're busy with their own line of games, Bens game, I doubt they would want to get involved.
However I doubt this path of outsourcing will happen - then we would have heard about the AP contracting already. DR only gives the idea they will produce everything themselves. The relation between AP and John didn't end well, I don't think they want to get involved anymore.
Getting involved for the money is one thing, but DR/JPop don't create many goodwill and more burn bridges. If you get involved with them and something goes wrong (as a subcontractor) it'll be a messy legal end (similar to what happened with DP and Ara), and most people want to avoid this if they can.
Except if DR has some patents that CGC or AP want to use and they'll have no choice but to work together (I believe Gene C did something like this to get his playfields produced ?).
Johns history shows he's also not interested in the producing part. He's a designer. I doubt he's interested in spending hours to rework every part, optimise it for production and talking in detail to a contractor telling how it is best done - like DP has done.
As far as we know, DR didn't have anyone that fits this profile (AP hired someone experienced for this to create Houdini).
Thinking about the DR business model, it doesn't make sense. Because it's not setup or ran as a real manufacturing business.
Stern has a large production line. Their margin is probably low (maybe $1000 on a pro machine) but they make this up in their huge volume.
Spooky started manufacturing small, increased and grew small, but seems to know very well what their costs/profits are and can survive.
JJP started with investments, set up a huge line, and it seems they didn't know well in advance their real production / overhead cost and had to increase prices to stay in business.
Dutch now probably has a very high margin and are laughing each time a game leaves the factory - ok they maybe don't make much profit but the margin must be huge at the price they are selling because they can afford to make extra EA games now. I don't know for what price they expected to launch their next title, I hope it's less because Pinball Bros now shows contact games can be done much cheaper.
Pinball Bros probably also has a good idea what a pinball machine costs if you subcontract it and still want to make a profit.
Making games for $5000 and continue doing this ? If you're not Stern it looks impossible. There was the Nemo machine but that was a very small hobby project and the guy probably did it for the love and didn't pay for all the hours he put in. There was Gene, but he had parts, help, it was a long time ago (prices increased now) and it was a long project.
Hiring people, a huge factory, .. ? The numbers don't make sense.
It wouldn't surprise me that Robert at the moment has no idea what all his costs are to produce it (maybe raw material cost, but not total overhead costs included). And now that +200 games need to be produced, it's not something they can do like the Nemo guy. This is a much bigger scale.
The cost of setting up a large production line to make them all will become higher than they thought.
They are in JJP / Spooky size now.
And if they don't optimize every part of their game to save costs, they can produce them but it will cost them much more than was necessary.
It wouldn't surprise me if in a few months they'll conclude they produce RAZA for a loss. And then what ? Will they do so, will they try every legal trick they know to turn it around in a profit ?
Talking about Gene - this is who John and Robert remind me of.
It's also posted here he sometimes he didn't want to sell parts and seemed to want to brag he had something that no one else had.
John and Robert are also big egos who want to show who they are.
They are not into the business to produce games and make a profit, it's just a hobby project to stroke their ego.
That's why I think (just like with Gene), RAZA will be produced.
After all they've said and done, they cannot afford to bail out now.
It may take years, it may cost them much more than they thought, the games may have problems (which maybe won't be taken care of correctly), .. but I'm pretty sure that games get produced this time.
If they will exist for many more years and be able to produce 10 other titles ? I doubt this very much, overhead costs and investments need to be repayed someday by making a profit..

Are there Cliff notes for this?

#15005 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I like what I see. I like that they are making some changes to things that have been 'this way' forever. I think RAZA itself and gameplay wise looks no worse than any number of games released in the last 5 years. I think the low end model is decently priced for what you get. I think DR as a company has a lot to prove before people are going to jump behind them. Hope all goes well and I see one of these out in the wild sometime.
We can always use another pinball manufacturer.

AMEN!!!!

#15096 3 years ago

Blah blah blah. Blah BLAH blah blah blah BLAH! Blah blah blah BLAH blah BLAH.

#15165 3 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Same shoes here. GNR CE and RAZA.

Me too

#15180 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

So I posted in the preorder thread and got a ban on that thread. However, it is okay for someone over there to call me a jerk off. Unreal. I asked about the five days of Deeproot. I will acknowledge that i am not thrilled with the lies and downright deception of Deeproot.
I’ve been following that thread. However, this censorship is not okay in regards to being called a jerk off by TaTa. Sorry, I’m just not okay with it.

I will say I was wrong in calling you that. So I do apologize. It's funny how these threads get you wrapped up in behaving ways you normally wouldn't. But I do feel there's a time and place for your comments and it's not in that particular thread.

#15192 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

If that's true, they should change the names of all owner's threads to "circle-jerk celebrating [insert machine]". I've criticized many things about games I own in owners threads. Just how protected are they? Please enlighten us.

Kind of answered your own question. You were an owner in a owner's thread.

#15196 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

How is an honest accounting of past behavior shitting on someone?

It's not. But I think what he was trying to say is that there are those that are excited as those who came before them. I believe that history can repeat itself. But sometimes it does not and the faith in those such as myself in this company should not be dampened by those that who have walked before us

#15200 3 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

"Sharing bad news"? If you weed through at least 90% of posts, it's not "bad news", it's negative opinions, internalized anger/resentments, and even just flat out liking to stir the stink.
Review back on the Zidware/Jpop thread. 24K+ posts .... for at least a couple years it was Camp Kumbaya until it was clear the shuffle game was falling apart.
That vitriol has continued through till today.
I'm a "pre-order" and have been "paid up" since 2013.
Sit back and enjoy the show. I'll be posting you some pics when the PinPod arrives.
And if it it doesn't, well.... my money was gone in 2015 when John P decided to throw in the towel and turn off his communications completely.

And I too am a pre-order buy. If my pinpod doesn't show up with my Xtra Raza... then I'll eat crow

3 weeks later
#15548 3 years ago
Quoted from pudealee:

A first for me...no Deeproot posts whilst I slept.

don't wake the naysayers

#15558 3 years ago

My buddy purchased one who's not on Pinside. So who really knows

#15578 3 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

RAZA’s will begin leaving the factory as soon as tomorrow people!!!!! RM said 4-6 weeks from end of order (during pinball news interview) - so excited!

Link to interview please

#15600 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

So....what's with the pricing here? $8k for the Arcade Edition and $13k for the Xtra Edition?! I hope that's just you snooze, you lose pricing, and not indicative of DR's pricing model going forward.
Because, at this new pricing, the Arcade Ed. is $500 more than a Wonka standard, and I don't know that I see $500 additional value added here over a Wonka Std. Plus, that 8k doesn't seem to include any extras either since it says "starting price".
At $6k starting price I was very tempted, but at $8k...no way. If future titles stick with the $6k base price of the ordering window, then DR could compete very favorably with Stern, provide they actually had a desirable license with exciting gameplay and rules. This new pricing has them competing with JJP, and which would you rather have, a GNR CE for $12.5k or a RAZA Xtra for $13k? I mean that's no contest at all.

I wouldn't know... I bought both with equal enthusiasm

#15619 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Omg what a mess. If you read this and conclude anything positive, your brain broke. I can't believe people can still believe in this company after countless failures.

I guess I'm brain dead then

#15712 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

Unfortunately bad timing for Deeproot. Launching a game at the same time when JJP a proven pinball manufacturer is selling and producing a massive hit. Let’s face it who doesn’t want GnR!

True. That's why I bought both! GNRCE & RAZA Xtra. They'll look gorgeous next to one anther

#15718 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Earth to you. You didn’t buy Raza.

Blah blah blah

#15789 3 years ago

Blah blah blah to the naysayers

#15795 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

You know what would be cool, if we could say "blah blah" to all the pre-orders who have actually gotten a machine from any # of wannabe pinball co., but that story has been told many times, 3 X now with JPOP. I hope you get a happy ending though!
In an effort to change the tone, what has led you to think differently than so many before you? Any specific quotes from DR or Robert? Some pre-production pics never before seen? Some insight to the original 6 who saw the game in real life? Production lines, marketing, vids and pics? # of cars in the parking lot. ANYTHING MAN!
If you have something, ANYTHING, we and DR would be greatly appreciative. I hope I am proven wrong..

Blah blah blaaahhhhh
Have you purchased or put money down on a RAZA? If not, I don't give a crap what you say. All I here from the naysayers is Blah Blah Blah

#15796 3 years ago

It's my decision to have taken the risk like every other RAZA buyer. Why do you care so much? We're grown adults. I was about to purchase a pin through Zidware But after speaking to him for 5 minutes I realised it was never going to be built. But this time I feel differently and I have every right to feel that way. So all you naysayers that have no money invested into this business right now get bent. Or as my inner child would say.... blah blah blaaahhhhh

#15798 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You seem to care enough to keep dissing other posters for having their own opinion. Seems you can’t follow your own schtick.
This is a pinball discussion forum... not a deeproot site. Having money on the line doesn’t earn you any greater access here.

Typical broken record response....blah blah blaaahhhhh

2 weeks later
#16030 3 years ago
Quoted from spoke:

despite plenty of money, plenty of staff, and plenty of time, the question to be is, is there anyone in the company that knows how to take a design on paper and turn that into machines coming off the line?
If the answer is no, which it seem to be, then it should come as no surprise that they are where they are.

They did put a design on paper and produced a game. As for mass producing is another question. I'm in on an Extra. I took the risk knowing full well that it may never be built. But that was my personal decision to do so as with all the other pre-orders purchaser's as well. We all took the risk, whether from Zidware or Deeproot. I personally believe ,unlike Zidware which I ran from when speaking with JPop on the phone, that this will be delivered. I like other depositors, know that there will be delays from the original shipping date. We are in the Covid Era and understand what comes from doing business during it. But I must stress that most in this thread at this point have no skin in the game but continue to put us, that do believe, into some sort of cult. We are educated, hard working, informed consumers and free willing buyers for our desire to own a game from Deeproot. I would also add that before you see them coming off the line, which may take some time, that most of us that have put money into it understand, to give them the chance to do so. If not, egg on our faces on smiles on yours.

1 week later
#16095 3 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

#waiting for deeproot to fail.
It’s only a matter of time.

A......hole

1 month later
#17808 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:By now, finally, most everyone realizes this might be the most investor elaborate pinball Ponzi scheme ever created. It now appears DR has never had any REAL intention of manufacturing very difficult to make, pinball machines. This is Zidware 2.0 and always has been. Nearly 18K posts about vaporware.

#17874 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
It's not over until RM stops threatening to sue people.

Technically the Germans did bomb Pearl Harbour. They were the Axis powers at that point so in essence the Germans did bomb PH! Get a life and realize that the game is going to get made and you can all SUCK it afterwards!!!

3 weeks later
#18553 2 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

[quoted image]

Yes it is! As a pre order buyer whom had contact with j-pop aka Zidware but chose to not to invest then, felt that this was going to be something different. I'am realizing now it's not.... and will concede to those in the thread, that I was wrong and will be going for the first come first serve refund.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TaTa.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=TaTa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.