Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1736 5 years ago

It was terrible and jpoop not getting applause was top.

5 months later
#2629 5 years ago

you are arguing over a patent?! LOL you know half of them are to fool the competition?

1 month later
#3473 4 years ago

"pinball is easy"

"pinball is easy, sometime soon, honestly, please believe us, hahaha we're laughing at you!"

maybe they should focus on building games rather than reading what folks are posting about them!

#3620 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What does that actually accomplish?
Last year at NYCPC, we had a drunk crash our event. It generated 5 pages of discussion here on Pinside. Exactly ZERO of that "buzz" helped us grow the event, grow our team, or sell any more tickets this year. It was worthless.
This year, we had no such "drama." We had exactly ZERO discussion about the event here, as nobody on Pinside gives a shit about that stuff.The event itself was a huge success, with twice as many people (and income I may add) than last year. Pinside buzz or lack thereof it here had nothing to do with it - but the growth came from everywhere but Pinside.
So stow the "he's a marketing genius" angle, it's total bullshit. He's doing himself no favors with this amateur hour act. This is not how pros behave. This is not how the CEO of any respectable company in any industry behaves. It's doing absolutely nothing to instill confidence in his fledgling company, and it's alienating potential customers. If the product they eventually put out matches the laughable quality of everything else they've shown us so far - from the top - their games will be garbage.
Any "buzz" he's winning here is absolutely worthless. Pinside buzz is the cheapest buzz in the world to buy, but also wafts away quickly like a fart in the wind as soon as something else comes along, or people just get tired of it by lunch time. There's literally nothing easier on pinside than generating thread views through outlandish or ridiculous behavior, but in the end it gets you nothing.
He can talk all he wants. The natives are getting restless, and this is starting to look like every other shitshow we've seen in pinball. Promise big, delay big, talk shit...we've seen it all before. Great if you have a podcast. Worthless if you are trying to launch a pinball company.
If you think this is "marketing 101" you went to one shitty business school.

Hell yes Levi - couldn't have said it better myself.

1 month later
#4280 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

About the time the economy goes in the tank again lol

O-din - nice to see you back on pinside.

1 year later
#9326 3 years ago
Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

I would post the "hammer Tested" logo but it is TM.[quoted image]

I want to send Mr Franchi's excellent quote in!

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.59.53 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.59.53 (resized).png

at least if the game is shit you and your buddies can play shmash-the-playfield

Shipping now!

#9327 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Love the logic: mine has no issues, so all machines have no issues, and the owners know nothing about pinball repair.

All my stern games are issue free also. Had some adjustments to make on IMDN and on NST but they the other than that my games have been rock solid.

If DP really raise the bar on playfield quality that's good news but until they prove themselves they can actually produce a game and produce it in volume I could go get a bit of wood from the hardware store and pummel the fuck out of it and get the same outcome!

Frankly the play field could be made out of freaking cheese, if the ball and flippers part of the gameplay is epic I'll buy it and learn how to repair cheese. deeproot loose if they think the fight is about playfield quality rather than gameplay.

2 weeks later
#9801 3 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

JJ was very dismissive when we met him at TPF and we were just praising our new Pirates. It was pointed out that we were dropped real quick because he ran over to couple wearing thousand dollar outfits. Eric was great to talk to though.

Have met Jack (and Gary) many times and I would not call either of them dismissive at all.

#10380 3 years ago

4frjyk (resized).jpg4frjyk (resized).jpg

#10387 3 years ago

Keefer made me laugh

Screenshot 2020-09-21 at 19.16.31 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-09-21 at 19.16.31 (resized).png

#10436 3 years ago

I feel like the music from that TV show littlest hobo should be playing right now.

#10506 3 years ago

at Expo one of the designers at deeproot predicted this would happen. He'd had a few beers and was basically saying that having designers is a waste of time at Deeproot as they can't build shit.

#10508 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You know Cary didn’t sugar coat his feedback to Robert! I am sure he played the game and told Robert straight out, “I would never buy this game and not will anyone is know in the pinball community”.

I suspect Colin would have given very useful constructive feedback.

#10518 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I promise you I would have. A year ago
Involved in JPop from day one and right in their backyard
They would rather bring in 6 people a year later to embarrass them?
Holy lack of self awareness Batman!

coupled with arrogance - never a good combination.

Trying to be positive. It's so much of a shitshow, at least they didn't try and palm bullshit off on us and carry on selling boxes of turd.

Neil.

#10554 3 years ago

lockdown bar looks like your hands would be on fire from it. Stellar wars?

then look at the angle, if you are a short player you can't even see the freaking flippers!

#10569 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Except swapping a translite doesn't change the side stickers.

or the side art on the cabinet on this.

#10617 3 years ago

wouldn't like to be a TD having to get a stuck ball - this is a JPOP game!!

#10652 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Why hasn’t pin2d chimed in???

NDA i'd guess

#10653 3 years ago
4fs927 (resized).jpg4fs927 (resized).jpg
#10683 3 years ago
Quoted from dugmar:

You seem like a kind, nice guy. Want to get a beer sometime?

Levi is the real deal! a total gent, can't think of a better guy to go out for a beer with!

#10686 3 years ago

4fsdgq (resized).jpg4fsdgq (resized).jpg

#10866 3 years ago

original (resized).jpegoriginal (resized).jpeg

from one of our guys in the UK

#11093 3 years ago

innovation has to be within the game... not the cabinet, or the backglass or the buttons that turn off extra balls. And a touch screen in the world of Covid - holy timing disaster batman.

I do like the crate though.

My heart is filled with dread on the goonies though...

#11095 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nice! Everybody should post their unique and innovative deep root concept. Here’s mine. Be gentle I’ve been working on it for only 5 years so still some conceptual details to iron out:
[quoted image]

surely beefroot pinball?

#11102 3 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I heard Deeproot spent a lot of time getting patents for everything they developed so that might not be the case. However I'm sure Stern will do just fine without any of these innovations.

can't find anything in the patent office with deeproot on it. None of what they have done is new really, so I suspect winning a patent case wouldn't be hard with so many prior works.

#11111 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I see this mentioned again and again but I’m curious how the hell any of you are playing pinball without touching the buttons?

I'm at home - nobody is playing my games except me at the moment!

#11153 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

[quoted image]
Apparently Lauren, Cary, Colin, Chris, Krystle, and myself suck at shilling since our feedback helped cause delay of the launch for the company we were supposed to be shilling for.

did they have a manufacturing line?

#11271 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's not in the allowed "talking points" Neil. Not a peep.
We are back into total fantasy land here again. Look at this, look at that, now how do they actually get made, in any volume.
I'm sure Bob has threatened these guys if they go outside the NDA. Well, we know that he has.
The NDA is as worthless as the paper it's written on. While i would try and comply out of courtesy, the DAMAGES as a result of any violation would be ZERO. Any damages are SELF INFLICTED.

and thus unfortunately those present end up being part of a shill process. They may not have chosen to do that but that's sadly the end result. Seen it done many times.

#11272 3 years ago

Cool. I don't have to use flipper buttons to put my high score in!

#11400 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

The word Shill implies something sinister and I find that wholly unfair to Cary Hardy and Jeff at TWIP. I've been following them both for a long time and that is not my sense at all.

to be clear I don't see them as sinister at all. I have huge respect for Jeff - I'm not a fan of Cary's youtube but I respect that others do. They've been played.

#11900 3 years ago

What a total shitshow this has been.

1 month later
#13247 3 years ago

is it just me or is this totally nuts? Texas has 20K people dead, 1M or so cases and an R rate of 1.2, yet someone is putting a new pinball machine at a location to generate demand for masses of people going to that location?

4naqws (resized).jpg4naqws (resized).jpg

#13375 3 years ago

I erased all the history in my mind and because I love Steve and wanted this to be a great game.

but sadly but from a ball and flippers this was a complete fail from my point of view.

Code/rules - none
Shots - bricky with a floaty rattly return. very little "kinetic satisfaction" there was no shot that made me think, mmm tasty,
Light show, sorry but after the recent shows on GNR, AIQ, Turtles this was very lacking in my view and the pinstadium did nothing but highlight how poor those plastic Ramps look, imagine them as rails...
couldn't really gauge the quality of the sound but some of the music felt too repetitive.

pinbar, felt like a big distraction and alot of it seemed the same as on the DMD - still looks like torture for your hands.
cabinet, looks nice but thats not what sells game.

Won't buy this until I've played it but I'd say deeproot have built a game for the 90's when the rest of the world has moved on using top players to design games and having a multi-dimensional rule set and real satisfaction on shots.

Neil.

#13377 3 years ago

they've built a 90s game (and not even a good 90s game), sadly its not the 90s anymore.

#13599 3 years ago

honestly a chimpanzee and two trainees will be able to hack the DLC - like the massive use of upgraded stern code with audio and video assets.

but honestly you bozos saying pinheads will pay anything - its just nonsense.

its like saying petrolheads will buy anything - so if only Bugatti sold their car for 4500 those bastards!

beatles sales were poor.

topper sales would be factored into the overall plan for JP2, Elvira etc.

2 months later
4 weeks later
#16145 3 years ago

When I saw the timeline for CE certification I knew they’d miss it. Having gone through this several times with far less complex products they were insanely optimistic.

3 weeks later
#17086 3 years ago

must be getting close to letting JPop go time and blaming all the delays and shit on him? That'll buy them 6 months of sympathy no?

#17103 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

To be fair, worldwide supply chains are F**KED up at the moment. Major integrated circuit shortages, car plants are shut down waiting for chips to stick in.
It's probably worse for DR as they are new and thus not a priority for vendors scrambling to help long time customers.
It's obvious COVID was much worse in China than their evil government let on, and now we are seeing the reality echoed in production.

chips aren't made in China though, their silicon technology is years behind. TMSC in Taiwan (not strictly China) is suffering from changing of demand cars->computers/tablets/webcams->cars and then Huawei bought up a huge amount of supply for their needs and then a shortage of water which is required in the process. Underinvestment outside of Asia means there is few places to have chips fabricated other than Asia. Intel today announced plans for a new fab in the US and Europe which is great news.

1 week later
#17361 3 years ago

it just shows a lack of experience. pinball has so many skill requirements and dependencies what this has show is how poor Robert is. sure you can blame JPop but Jpop is Jpop.

Next stage of learning for deeproot is actual scale manufacturing which given the lack of photos feels like its starting at zero... this shitshow has got many chapters still to be written.

At least on the certification if they stick with the same cabinet/power/cpu design they won't need to do that bit again. This is why Stern are able to roll games out in record time.

#17446 3 years ago

just remember that the failure here is Robert; and he has out failed every other pinball fail added up together.

The start, the middle and ultimately the mega end that is coming only one person to blame -> Robert.

#17467 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Is this going to harm Steve bowdens reputation

absolutely not, Steve is absolutely epic.

#17504 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

But does it ? Behind every failure is some degree of failure to execute. Oftentimes it doesn’t matter how much money one is has. In fact more money often leads one to be even more sloppy and do a worse job not better because there is seemingly no financial pressure to complete each step in a timely and competent manner

I think King Fail #1 Andrew Heighway tells us otherwise. He had no money but what he did have he spent it stupidly buying machines to make their own hex posts and crap like that. Then tried to exit and blame it on other people (who were as equally to blame for the fail as he was but are about to rip off a new generation of stupid people). I fully expect the same thing with Robert.

1 month later
#18288 2 years ago

yikes - this feels like Déjà vu

1 week later
#18393 2 years ago

Dear RAZA Customer:
First, I want to wish the amazing Mr. Bowden a very happy birthday. I'm honored he has decided to spend the occasion at work writing up more cool tips for his FunwithBonus.com website. It was nice to catch up with him this morning about RAZA.
While it has been six weeks since our last update, we wish there was more to update on. We are dealing with the same issues most other small and large businesses are. That is, still struggling with some vendors over supply chain and deliveries, unable to hire staff because of labor shortages, and dealing with inflationary increases in parts since we have not been able to execute quick enough. We come in every day and are chipping away at the diminishing obstacles to shipping our first RAZAs.
We want to keep communication open. However, it seems sometimes that these periodic updates don't convey the progress that is happening, nor does it solve the real goal of delivering games. At this point we do not expect to send another mass update about RAZA until after the July 4th weekend.
In the mean time, if some RAZA customers wish to rescind their contracts and request their payments back, we will offer those on a first-come, first serve basis starting June 1, 2021. You can reply to this email or use our online contact form on our website. Please include your name, order number, and a request to rescind the RAZA Purchase Contract. Once accepted, your request is irrevocable.
For those waiting on the wait list, please again do not contact us to check on if you have a machine or not. We will do our best to fill as many requests as we can from the rescinded machines, in order on the wait list, at the end of the RAZA run. Since the list has grown from the last mass email, we cannot guarantee to be able to accommodate everyone.
Best!
-Robert J. Mueller, Principal
deeproot Pinball

#18396 2 years ago

4kb6cv (resized).jpg4kb6cv (resized).jpg

#18413 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not sure what to make of this? Seems like they are saying that if you want a refund, you need to ask for it sooner rather than later.

I wondered about that also, seems very strange way of putting it.

1 week later
#18741 2 years ago

surely the code for the pinbar not being there would have be done anyway for when some asshat^wjpopgroupie spill's their pint of Guinness on it and kills it?

If UL isn't needed why do Stern do it?

1 month later
#19428 2 years ago

just watching those two deeproot videos again and the expressions of the guests cracks me up - especially Cary

3 weeks later
#20604 2 years ago
Quoted from Mogg:

Did Dennis Nordman really say that?
I’m paraphrasing, ‘how amazing it is at Deeproot compared to the Bally Williams days’

pretty sure not.

#20644 2 years ago

https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/deep-thoughts-by-deeproot-part-2

the pinside comment is classic - I'm not going to listen to my potential customers. What an idiot.

#20691 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Didn't people hear all this the first time around?
I'm still amazed people find this eyeopening... it's literally a 'greatest hits' compilation of the content we all have had for years.

yeah but its all in the timing! with a little bit of remastering! like all good bands!

#21013 2 years ago

What a total shitshow for the poor suckers^wpinheads who have put money down on this. Basically a FU and we will tell you when the FU no longer applies.

The three cases listed about don't look like they would be the reason not to ship, so it must be all letters before action type shit.

lets hope he can "out legal" better than he can "out business" and "out manufacture".

#21014 2 years ago

just thinking about this.

The only action that this can be is related to IP.

Right now DR haven't shipped anything so the impact to any IP ownership is pretty much zero.

However if someone has IP that RAZA impacts then by shipping it could create a damages situation.

Wildly speculating but based on the most legally active pinball IP owner - I wonder if this might be related to WMS IP ? Is RAZA on some bit of paper that the WMS IP holder has? Its the sort of JPOP bullshit that wouldn't surprise anyone.

Neil.

#21016 2 years ago

ah yes just seen these:

Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.48.37 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.48.37 (resized).png

Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.49.44 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.49.44 (resized).png

but has to be IP related.

#21294 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:"manufacturing is underrated, and design is overrated"
Listen to Elon Musk talk about how much effort the put into production/manufacturing vs coming up with the thing in the first place

Not anything new - take a look at how BMW or any of the top car makers or largest manufacturers have built their design shops now, designers and production assembly designers in the same team in the same room. I studied how BMW’s design house “Projeckt Haus” was built and every job (not person) has a specific seat. The approach saved them as an independent cat manufacturer reduced recalls by more than 35% and enabled them in ten years triple the number of car models they can produce.

I can think of two optimisations in design to manufacturing 1: playfields and digital printing (and what a fail that has been) 2: Stern’s move to Spike 2 architecture which initially had some quality issues but I personally think has been a huge success for them. Beyond that - very little.

Regards,
Neil

#21295 2 years ago

Standard cabinets with standard PSU / sound / display you could argue is three but that’s so obvious a blind man could see it with his cane.

#21495 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

How have we not heard a thing from Steve Bowden through all of this?

because Steve is a total gentleman and a stand up guy.

#21496 2 years ago

i noticed on the website that the raza online scores hadn't updated since december 2020 a few days ago and thought that was strange.

#21584 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Cough, yelobird, cough. $20k up front I believe.

wow - thats nuts. Yelobird hope you get it back but I seriously doubt it.

#21586 2 years ago

proud to have told them how it is and have that fuckwit Robert respond !

#21829 2 years ago

I have to say Ice I don’t think the best code breakers could read this thread and figure out what your meaning is

1 week later
#22834 2 years ago

Look like it! If you didn’t think it was game over before surely this is the final nail!

#22835 2 years ago

This first time ever Mueller kept his mouth shut:

9. Mueller also used more than $1.5 million of the Funds’ assets to pay hundreds of personal expenses, including his daughter’s private school tuition, vacations with his family, his second wedding, his second divorce, his third wedding, jewelry for both his second and third wives (including engagement rings and wedding bands for both wives), other lifestyle spending for and by his family, and to buy a condominium in Kauai, Hawaii. When asked by SEC counsel during investigative testimony about his use of the Funds’ assets to pay for these personal and family expenses, Mueller asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

#23429 2 years ago

5kg2xf (resized).jpg5kg2xf (resized).jpg

1 week later
#25209 2 years ago

Jeff and TWIP being threatened is not ok.

1 month later
#26255 2 years ago

It just goes to show how we need to change the world so that a total psychopath like Mueller can’t take advantage of some really good people - I imagine some folks felt trapped in the circus not wanting to take the risk of his bullying if they left or they felt they couldn’t leave for fear of the told you so’s. He is exactly the same as Heighway - I hope to god the community has finally learned.

Neil.

2 months later
#27784 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also home addresses to a lot of recognizable people. Maybe some things should be redacted from public court filings

Agreed.

Quoted from Inside:

So there's a full list (70 pages) of creditors. JPOP is in there!
The grift continues
removed

I would like to ask the poster or one of the moderators to remove this link please. Whilst it doesn't make the document go away the posting of this (whilst clearly well intended) is causing many of our friends (And others who didn't sign up for this either) in the community serious cause for concern and anxiety and I implore, in fact I beg, that it be removed from pinside and I ask kindly that the community considers the security and well being of all of our family in this community.

In 2016 I was not in a great place and I stumbled into this community and many people, including many on that list, where truly welcoming and friendly and maybe even saved me from myself. I ask with respect to our community that we walk in the shoes of those who have already been negatively impacted by the deeproot farce to do them one more service and not make a terrible situation any worse by making personal and private details public.

Many thanks,
Neil.

1 week later
#27880 2 years ago

Your pinball dollars hard at work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider NeilMcRae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=NeilMcRae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.