View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2788 5 years ago
Quoted from billyboy:

The hobby isn't big enough for all these manufacturers. There's only so much money and space.

Deeproot is still a paper tiger, but... If these guys actually put out some good games designed by Dennis and Barry and the crew they have on board, it will take a bite out of other companies. A company like JJP that is holding on by an angel investor thread, might just go under. A smaller company like AP might have issues too. Now that MM, AFM and MB are out, the remake industry will probably slow considerably anyway and even more with another big player around.

#2838 5 years ago

I am pretty darn negative on Deeproot because of their work with Jpop. That said, I am a huge fan of Dennis Nordman both as a person and a pinball designer. Neither of those two points are what made me post in this thread tonight though. I'm posting because that video posted on the previous page is DAMN impressive. The production value is miles ahead of anything JJP or Stern has done. If that is even close to the level of production that actually incorporated into their games, I could see them really hitting the ground running. Also, I like the widescreen. This will hopefully allow them to have a full backglass/translite unlike the screen on JJP games that is way too big and hogs the backbox. Hopefully the display is above and not blocked by ramps and playfield components as some are speculating. That would make no sense.

#2844 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's really interesting to see a reaction like this. What is it about it that strikes you so much, out of curiosity?

Not sure how to say it. I don't profess to be an art critic, but I know what I like when I see it. Things like fonts not being proper, I would never notice in a million years because I don't look with the critical eye of a designer. Despite a predisposition to dislike anything to do with Jpop; this seems more professional and cinema quality "complete package" including the funny scripting along with the great sound/graphics. This compared to the more basic Xbox 360 cut scenes that Stern and JJP produce. Just for reference my favorite animation packages to date are Iron Maiden and Metallica (with color DMD). Those packages just fit the games perfectly IMO. On the other hand the split screen on WoZ is my least favorite.

This may just be a teaser and the real game content could be a letdown. We'll see. One thing for sure is that up until this point I thought the RAZA theme was a mess and could not be saved. They actually made it seem like an interesting, goofy retro theme with this trailer.

3 months later
#4375 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Better designer

Exactly. They are not even in the same league. They will need people like Dennis to finish off Jpop's non functional cardboard mock-ups and make them actual playing machines; otherwise they will be working on fifteen games at the same time and releasing none.

1 month later
#4968 4 years ago

Wow; checked in on this thread because it is once again on fire. Once again nothing new. I'd love to see a new Nordman machine but I'm starting to lose faith. They can throw around all the money and names in the world, but at some point they need to release a game. I could not care less about Jpop games. I'd piss on a spark plug before ever buying a game related to him.

#5042 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

From what I remember JJP used to trash Stern at shows when he was soliciting preorder money.

To say that is an understatement would be and understatement.

1 month later
#5136 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I'm super excited to learn about the "Deeproot package of innovations" that they seem to be licensing out. I've searched extensively and they have only received one patent so far ( https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/28/c2/14/0a5dd78e980396/WO2018183948A1.pdf ), which is the removable playfield mechanism. They don't have any pending, provisional, or even filed patents for review for anything else. So this "revolution" will essentially be a pinball machine that looks and plays exactly the same, but the playfield comes out of the cabinet into a vertical position. I'm sure Stern is shaking in their boots. The cost of building this cabinet has to be at least 2 - 3X what a normal cabinet with simple playfield hinge must cost.
[quoted image]

Good thing they got the patent. I'm sure all the other manufacturers would be stealing and using that design if they didn't.

1 week later
#5224 4 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Anyone else think their statements on Houston are some sort of deception, and the game they show in Houston will be complete and available for purchase?

I'm guessing you are in the minority on this one.

1 week later
#5787 4 years ago

So zero interest in any game Jpop had a hand in... My question is what is the playfield made out of? They hit it with a hammer on video yet?

1 month later
#6942 4 years ago

Wake me up when they have a game announced that had absolutely nothing to do with Jpop...

2 weeks later
#7102 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Most of the owners are rich A holes.

Most of the players are rich A holes too.

#7156 4 years ago

One game that has essentially already been revealed? I thought they were going to have five games polished and ready to go at once? What is going on with Nordman?

5 months later
#8686 3 years ago

So is it true that Nordman is out at Deeproot and in with CGC? That can't be a good omen if so.

#8694 3 years ago

Well hopefully Nordman got in a full design that's waiting to be built. He's one of my favorite designers. I'd love to hear that he's designing Whitewater 2 right now for CGC.

#8698 3 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Why White Water 2? I rather see a pin with a new theme.. With Youssi on art and lots of humor of course
I love what John does with the pencil

CGC does remakes. They are basically done making any 90s game that I would want except Whitewater. Rather than a remake of Whitewater ala AFMr, MMr, MBr; I'd love to see them go to the next level for Whitewater since they have Dennis in house. If not Whitewater 2, then maybe a Whitewater 2.0 with the same layout but RGB LEDs, high res display, updated stereo sound and an appropriately cool topper.

1 month later
#8927 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Throwing Jpop clientel under the bus is no major trustbreak. It’s the curse of the dead gods. You get nothing. You lose.

When they first came on the scene they were throwing money around, sponsoring all kinds of events to get their name out, gaining goodwill and promising to right the many wrongs of Jpop. Looking back, none of that bought them much except deeper cash burn. Dennis Leary says that you can sell cigarettes in a black pack with skull and crossbones on it and label it Cancer and people would still flock to smoke them. Deeproot will win or lose based on putting out products people want, goodwill or not. Make great games at a reasonable cost and they will sell regardless of recent disappearing acts and not updating the website. They could even put out crap games with fancy art and the Jpop crowd will buy them . Before they go belly up, I just hope they surprise us and at least put out a couple of decent games to make our friends whole again with a reasonable facsimile of the Jpop games they thought they were buying however many years ago.

2 weeks later
#9315 3 years ago

I thought the playfield was going to be something other than wood? If it is wood, it will dimple from air balls unless it has a lexan cover of some sort.

2 weeks later
#9822 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

If you want to defend someone like that that's up to you .
I don't care how talented he was .

Back in the 90's, I had two friends from Buffalo who defended OJ's innocence despite the incredible amount of double-think it took. It's hard facing facts that someone you idolize is a sick f'er.

#9902 3 years ago

As much cash as these guys have burned, it is interesting that some people think they are going to be both high quality and low cost. No way can they deliver the bang for the buck of their competitors with boutique sales numbers.

#9982 3 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Thats the prototype, from a year ago. Production game will have art.

Huh? There are 10 hours to the reveal. Why put in a prototype at this point? That has to be the current form of the game.

#10365 3 years ago
43210702 (resized).jpg43210702 (resized).jpg
#10757 3 years ago

So re-reading the note from today. They considered this to be a beta review and are going back to the drawing board on this first game. That certainly implies at least months if not a year before we see another reveal. Not to mention that this is a single game. Hopefully they don't actually have multiple games at prototype stage that need to be redesigned to a new platform... Another reason the five games on day one release thing was an incredibly stupid idea.

And yes, that backbox looks terrible. I can just picture it shaking and rattling on those two small support posts. Whatever that thing is on the lockbar needs to go too. Haha, how could anybody think that is a good idea? It hurts my hands just looking at it and it blocks the view of the flippers for anyone less than seven feet tall.

#11375 3 years ago

I would be down for a WH2O II as long as I could get it without that touch screen gimmick. Nordman works for CG now so maybe they will build one or at least an updated LED version of the original WH2O. That whole touch screen/lock bar idea makes me taste puke in the back of my mouth. How anyone could think that is a good idea on a pinball machine is beyond me. The wrap around backglass is starting to grow on me, though the two posts holding it will never grow on me.

#11641 3 years ago

I assume the shooter lane is shorter and plunger is longer so the view of the ball isn't blocked by the (expletive deleted) touch screen?

#11863 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Stolen from TWIP...
..looks nice!
(LEDs in Neds guns were allready mentioned.)
[quoted image]

What is with those huge opto boards and connectors on the ramp to the right? Those obviously are still in pre-prototype form. Not to mention that hideous split in the ramp?

#11888 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It's called camera zoom. XD

Camera zoom or not, the opto board needs to fit completely underneath the lip on the side of the ramp in order to fit in most places they will need them. Having a connector stick out an inch to the side is definitely sign of a prototype. As for the split ramp. No matter how well it fits, there will always be a transition making it play wonky instead of buttery.

I don't mind plastic ramps, but I am surprised that the plastic ramp police who like to bug Stern so much haven't come out in this thread.

#12137 3 years ago

Certain things are inevitable like moving from EM score reels to SS digital displays to DMD to LCD. On the other had, sticking a piece of technology on a pinball machine just because it exists doesn't mean it is right. A keyboard and mouse would have fit just fine on the lock bar back in the 90s and sure would have made it easy to enter your initials or play video modes all these years. A built in joystick made sense on Cave Man as a gimmick game. (Note the window to see the ball in the shooter lane better.)

A pinball machine is a great thing because it's a moving mechanical game with physical buttons as the interface and most importantly; it is not a video or phone game. Some people, myself included, don't even like video modes on pinball machines. I love my Star Wars, but I would bypass the video mode every time if I had the option. I'm all for cool graphics on the main LCD and even a small LCD on the playfield, but a huge touch screen on the apron that makes service menus or entering a wifi password easier, but adds nothing worthwhile to real pinball game play is never going to be on my wanted list.

image-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg

#12151 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Those screens in refrigerators make me laugh. Such a waste of money.

I have to say that the idea of being able to check a live cam of the inside of my refrigerator while I am in the super market is appealing. On the other hand, I've been grocery shopping from home ever since the China virus became a thing so I have my good old fridge with no touch screen or cameras right on hand to check my stock of ketchup.

#12377 3 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Merkur bringing the heat.
[quoted image]

Back in the day my friends and I used to do SCCA Autocross racing. It was a lot of fun in our Camaros, 280z's, Firebirds, Omni GLH's, etc. One time they had a road race in a new town called Palm Bay back then there were roads, but no houses yet. The local Ford dealer sent one of their mechanics in a brand new Merkur XR4-TI to show off how fast it was in this type of format. Unfortunately for them, they managed to find the only place on the entire road course that sliding off the road meant going down into a ditch and totaling the car on a cement culvert. That day the Merkur went from laughing stock to epic, never ending laughing stock.

1 week later
#12672 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It cannot be overstated how obsessed Robert is with John.

Wasn't it theorized years back that Jpop's dog could hypnotize people into believing anything he said?

#12703 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I understand they had an event this past September, did they provide any info on when it will be released? I looked and couldn’t find.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong; I think the take away was more "back to the drawing board" than anything to do with a realistic release date.

1 week later
#12942 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Stern could charge $1k for this gimmick with Walking Dead: The Complete Saga and people would break their wrists whipping out the wallet.

Not to argue your point; just that you could have picked a better example. TWD has been awful for years. The last five season will make your eyes bleed they are so bad.

2 weeks later
#13106 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

If RAZA release this year the VIPs wouldnt have called off the reaveal. They called it off not only bc it was unfinished then but bc they saw problem(s) they did not see any solution to yet=> 2nd quarter 2021 reveal at best. Production running 4th quarter 2021 at best.

I wonder what the chances are they completely scrap the touch screen? I would imagine they will at least design it to be a little less imposing. They should also probably not inset it like it is. The way it is now with the lip all the way around it makes a perfect drink holder and will also catch spills and pool them on top of touch screen.

1 week later
#13299 3 years ago

Meh. Not for me. Colorful artwork with flashy lights though, but so was Cosmic Carnival. I'm still interested in what the Nordman Whitewater 2 game looks like, but the more I see of the Pinbar the less I like it and I never liked it to begin with.

Is it dimpling yet? The light up cabinet does look good.

#13355 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

What are your thoughts on the Pinbar and how it can enhance the pinball experience? To me, it does not take away from the magic that is pinball, and will only enhance the overall experience and replace an archaic menu, testing, and user interface. The possibilities are exciting!

I feel the opposite. Any gain in menus, testing and user interface would be for the operator and not the player. I was actually cringing while watching the video and hearing them try to justify this as making pinball better to the player. I guess it is yet another case of "to each their own". To me the system menus could easily have been accomplished by a mouse or touch pad on a cable or bluetooth inside the coin door and just use the screen on the backbox. IMO the pinpad is a game stopper and belongs on a pinball machine even less than the camera on every JJP games does. I know people who don't even like an action button on the lock bar let alone having a touch screen. Pinball is about a rolling ball and getting away from video games and cell phones, not integrating them...

At least the pinpad does give the players a nice place to rest their drink or beer and catch any spills, which is yet another reason this will never catch on with operators.

#13392 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Lets face it. You will never get good unbiased information from this thread or anywhere on Pinside regarding this game or DR in general. Most here made up their minds long ago. Nothing but hate for DR here on Pinside and that won't change no matter how well they do. Anyone actually taking this garbage information spewed here is making a big mistake. Pinside regarding DR is sorta like watching CNN for real news... it just doesn't happen. What a joke Pinside and many of its members have become.
Good luck to DR! And anyone seriously interested in getting real unbiased information about them should log off Pinside immediately and check other (much more reliable) sources.

LOL! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Take the above statement and substitute DR with CGC and you described yourself from a few years ago perfectly. In fact you might have understated things considering the crusade you went on blasting garbage information on everything to do with the CGC "refakes".

#13398 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone willing to mix it up, I'm all for. Jury still out though for sure.

One thing that has grown on me for sure is the backbox. The setup they came up with makes the game look great overall. Part of my love to the old EM games is the art on the backglass. The key here on RAZA is the short, wide LCD that they use allows for the wrap around backglass to be huge and maximize the impact of the artwork. DR definitely nailed this compared to Stern, American, Spooky and especially JJP. The LCD on JJP games is way too big and limits the translite into basically a marquee.

As stated before I am not a fan of the touchscreen or the first impression of the gameplay, but to me the real advancement here is finally finding the proper size and shape LCD for pinball back box. The creativity of the wrap around backglass is made possible by it.

#13474 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Exactly what I was thinking - solderless ? How many crappy molex or other new "innovative" connectors they come up with going to do ?
Agree with Levi - that sounds like a recipe for troubles.

You do realize that solderless connectors are the industry standard from medical to aerospace to automotive? Whoever wrote that spiel above knows nothing about connectors or they would not even have mentioned the part about solderless because it is assumed. Anyone mocking the solderless connectors knows even less.

#13487 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I admit I know nothing about those industries. Do they have solderless connections at points that see constant and significant vibration?

The do use solderless *especially* where there is constant vibration. I dare anyone to show me a soldered pin on a connector in a car or a SpaceX rocket for that matter. What happens is that the solder wicks up into the strands of the wire and makes it really stiff. Where the solder stops, the wire is flexible again. That interface between the flexible and stiff part of the wire is a natural place that it will break off after being exposed to vibration.

For pinball coils, I like the spade connectors Williams used on later games or a short pigtail with a molex connector. Nothing wrong with soldering direct to the coil either, but this conversation is about "connectors".

#13555 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

DLC and "Pinball as service" well that's probably how he sold this to investors.

Hopefully the investors don't look at the things that killed Megatouch. Granted cell phone and tablet games were a bigger factor but still the subscription/have to be connected online thing was never a welcome change and they didn't last long after.

#13582 3 years ago

This DR DLC is totally different than the software that Stern provides with their toppers. Stern toppers have node boards that require software to drive the motors and lights and add sounds for the game to support the topper. In the JP case there is an extra mode that takes advantage of lights on the topper. BFD. That is no more DLC than the extra software required to support the features on a Premium/LE vs a Pro. Extra features means extra software. BKSoR Premium and LE download software to support the upper playfield and catapult multiball, so that is DLC? Of course not.

The DLC that DR is talking about goes way deeper and is even worse apparently than these stupid apps that keep nagging for more money. This is paying for updates and modes that Stern or JJP would consider to be your rights to receive as the owner for FREE even years after buying the game. Look at GoT or even POTC. They both had huge updates after the fact.

This DLC is what lets them sell a game for $5000 knowing expensive DLC will make them money down the road. Sort of like selling a game console at or below cost knowing the real money maker is in the royalties for the software that people will buy.

For $50 a month there better be a very well written, iron clad list of what the minimum amount of DLC that will be available each month. What if they just provide a few bug fixes once a month for the next six months? Sounds like you are locked in for at least a year, so that $5000 machine is actually $5600 to start with.

#13643 3 years ago

I still want to see a picture from a short player's perspective to see how much of the view is cut off by the pinbar. Can you see the ball in the shooter lane without leaning forward? How close is it to the bottom of the flippers?

#13740 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I remember some mentions of ads on the Pinbar ™️. I wonder if they are subsidizing the cost of the machine through ad revenue. Or maybe if you don’t pay the sub, you get ads. Or maybe if you watch some ads, it gives you a demo of the sub.

Some really good questions there. The older I get the more I believe and trust in the old saying that if somethings seems to good to be true, it probably is. The price of the base unit just makes no sense on the surface when you look that both machines side by side in the pictures at the recent event. Pealing back the onion a little shows that having to sign up for a minimum of a year subscription even if you pay by the month brings the game to $5600. Advertising is another facet of the app store theory of shaking the customer down for more money that I hadn't thought of. There was also speculation of the subscription add-ons not transferring to a new buyer. This would really complicate resale. Not to mention having one game at $50 a month is one thing. Do they really expect to see people buy four or five games and have them subscribe them all?

Finally, I would hope that if/when DR goes out of business they would unlock all of the machines and provide the latest code to the owners. Imagine owning a game that has been subscribed for two years and suddenly it reverts to the base software load because DR pull the plug on their online service? Just sayin.

1 week later
#14084 3 years ago

I just can't imagine there are more than a hundred people aside from the heritage Zidware people who will buy RAZA given how poor the shot layout and game play is in my opinion. I know we all have different tastes in pinball games and themes, so I wonder is it just me? I like the cabinet and the fish bowl back glass, but I can't stand the idea of the Pinpad. I can maybe see some interest in the Nordman games or maybe the Oursler games once the playfields are revealed. Of course there are always those people who want it for the cool art package and shiny lights and whatever, but that is available in so many other games already. For my upstart pinball company money, I would buy a Rick and Morty or a Hot Wheels over RAZA and it is not even close.

#14226 3 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Food Truck time!

That ought to be good for a few dozen sales.

8 months later
#23565 2 years ago

I wonder how much RM overpaid J-pop? Maybe J-pop saved up enough to start Zidware 2.0?

Seriously though, what a clusterfuck. Nothing would surprise me at this point. It's like the bare metal Terminator rising from the fire at the end of T1. What is next for this saga of the cardboard cutout mock-up games; is it over or will there be another rise from the ashes?

#24829 2 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

I'll take some of that SMT machinery that "doesn't work..."
Aaron
FAST Pinball

That wave soldering machine is some serious money. Looks like a pick and place machine too possibly. Also big bucks.

#24973 2 years ago

Yes it is a fully decked out pick and place machine. Basically it picks up parts like resistor, chips, etc and places them on the circuit board. Then the board runs through the wave soldering machine on the right in that first picture to get soldered in place all at once. This is a hugely expensive setup and it's not cost efficient in any way for this type of business. Looks like it has never been used, so it should get some money at auction.

#25341 2 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I am out of the loop, can someone catch me up on what is going on here?

Go to the first page and start by reading all of the key posts listed for the last two weeks...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution

1 month later
#26305 2 years ago

Mueller has squandered all but roughly $400,000 of the more than $60 million raised from investors

Just stop and think about this for a second.

1 week later
#26431 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Remember the good old days when there was nearly too much deeproot nonsense to keep up with? I miss them.
Anyway, minorest of minor updates: many deeproot folks have finally been updating their linkedins to officially call it a day. The most recognizable names among them are Quinn Johnson and Jon Norris. Quinn added an end date for the deeproot entry. Jon erased disappeared that part like a magical jpop poof. One facebook too. Probably a good idea.

Are these people on some sort of NDA or are they allowed to speak out at this point? I might actually listen to one of the more respectable pinball podcasts to hear some of the bigger names from DR interviewed and speaking truthfully about what went on behind the scenes.

2 weeks later
#26768 2 years ago

Just that soldering machine and pick n place machine were 6-digits and I doubt they worked hard to strike bargains on the pinball machines and other items that are in the building(s). Good thing the Banning auction didn't happen back when Robert's pockets were lined with money or they probably would have gone broke a year sooner.

#26856 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

This thread is also the only place I can finally call my DR debacle "resolved". Still not sure why they thought they could contest my refund, but got my money back.
[quoted image]

Wow! That is awesome; talk about a near miss. You are one of the lucky ones for sure.

near_miss.gifnear_miss.gif
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.