Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#423 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

This does look more and more like a play to ensure that their holding company / insurance business doesn't make a profit, in order to avoid tax.

*cough* CAPCOM *cough*

#449 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The owners (money depositors into JPop inc.) should collectively seek legal advice on the terms of the deal that's being offered, before anyone accepts anything.

Didn't realise that was the idea behind their pinball unit, if indeed it was.
Guess they got rather more than they bargained for, with Python's profligacy and taking the piss with Zingy Bingy etc ...

From what I've been told in the past, Capcom knew *exactly* what they were bargaining for *because* they put Python in a high ranking position.

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

The Who's My Generation:
"Hope I die before I get old"
Then I wouldn't have to read this nonsense......

Don't get me wrong, giving Eric M. his shot was a great decision by JJP. Nothing against new talent. Scott D. has created something great.
Throwing away lifetimes of experience is unwise.
ddt

I can personally vouch for Barry's ability.

1 year later
#5626 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Admit it, you miss it! It hasn't been in a pinball since 1976 or so with Space Mission/Space Odyssey!

Thunderbirds has one. :p

1 year later
#16605 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I make new videos on occasion, channel is called Ben Heck Hacks.

Here's a question: what are the differences between RAZA now (other than 'it exists') and the game it was planned to be back when it was Ben Heck's Zombie Adventureland? I assume the original under John's watch would have been more ambitious... maybe 'Magic Girl' ambitious (i.e. 'lol no')?

#16630 3 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That ramp shot to the upper right corner checks out.

Classic John. Still allergic to straight lines.

#16639 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

John just slaps shit in a box to give the IMPRESSION of a pinball machine. His Houdini was the same thing.
Robert (like AP before him) couldn't sniff the BS and dove in.

I know that both of us entirely independently from each other took one look at his Houdini playfield from a geometrical perspective and went 'not in a million years'.

Anyone know what his KISS 'proof of concept' looked like? That's the one I've never seen pictures of.

#16649 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How about just using a regular steel lockdown bar that doesn't have a tv screen in it like ever other lockdown bar of the past 60 years?
Just a thought.

Or if you must have a screen near the bottom for player reference, stick it on the left side of the apron. That's where I've always figured a useful one could go.

#16753 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If we would have partnered up with Steve Jobs in his garage back in the 90s we would be much better off too. Lol

No you wouldn't. He'd have ripped you off just like he did Wozniak.

#16800 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I bought myself a scalped 3070 for Xmas. I just REALLY wanted it. Between Amazon card points and selling my 980 on eBay (still valuable) I was only about $200 out of pocket.
Here's a pic of Houdini from Expo 2016. Looks awesome but yeah, just a bunch of "shots to nowhere" and laser plastics instead of toys. Oh an of course YET AGAIN another "lamp spinner"
RE: DR distributors... if they bought some that means the actual new sales to individual customers is even LOWER. (whop whaaaa trombone sound)[quoted image]

Key element of design is structure. Every shot should feel like it has a purpose, be distinct from all the others, and sometimes to achieve that, less can be more (eg. AC/CD).

#16844 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

A personality disorder. He believed (and said) zidware already was successful bc it collected all that preorder money. He believed (and said) he is a perfectionist who can finish a game on his own. He believed (and said) at B/W he was head of the team controlling and leading the whole built process.
All wrong. He even sued 26 zidware customers for 100k total outstanding payment bc he believed with that money he could finish the games.
RM is the perfect impressario for Jpop to let his genius shine. As fan of Jpops he was willing to lift him up to burn a lot of money and manpower to finish a game for him. AP was not a fan of JPop they were disappointed frustrated and angry about all his gaslighting and exuberance and threw him out.

JPop, I'm fairly sure because I recognise the traits, is ASD, as am I. And most likely many past and present creatives who get on this Alice In Wonderland rigmarole. That's not a criticism, merely a thing. "We're all mad here, you must be or you wouldn't be here."

#16992 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:Can we discuss Zizzle? Does Deep Root own those as well?

Assuming that's a serious question, those were made for the toy market, which is very VERY different. Low cost, high volume, and it's the responsibility of the manufacturer to bear the losses rather than the retailer when stock doesn't sell and gets returned (unless things have changed significantly since Nintendo got burned that way initially with the Game & Watch). Even if they had the option, and I'm pretty sure they don't, Deep Root wouldn't want to touch it.

2 weeks later
#17564 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A truly innovative pinball wouldn't have very many wires under the PF at all.
But again, deeproot put their "innovation" everywhere BUT the playfield itself.

Well, we tried it. But it created new problems we hadn't foreseen, most notably how cheapass components and connectors would get shaken loose during international transit.

#17695 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:Our friend here, Dave Sanders survived Andrew Heighway very nicely and I've grown to respect him a great deal on many different levels.
If I were Stern or JJP or any established company, I would float an offer to Steve Bowden to come interview with me whenever the time is right.

I survived *barely* and I'm still crushed by the weight of it. This may not be the right thread for such a response - it's one I've had to think a lot about and work up the nerve for a long while, but if I seem soft-spoken on here it's a reflection of my own sense of fragility and how easily I can be downtrodden. People have wondered how I stuck it out with Andrew Heighway for so long, but my back was against the wall - I still have recordings of the kind of emotional blackmail he'd pull on me, wielding my own ASD as a weapon and making it out like I was putting everyone else's jobs in jeopardy if I tried to assert myself over what I was expected to get, even it was as little as a contract just to make everything official. The situation improved once he'd gone and some trust with the Pinball Brothers was able to develop, but I've never done anything with those recordings, I didn't think they'd ever help or not bring further stresses on me that I wouldn't be able to handle.

3 months later
#21018 2 years ago

RAZA: Robert Accedes Zero Assets.

#21068 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It could use a big musical number.

I can't be the only one who instantly remembered the premise of The Producers.

3 weeks later
#23143 2 years ago

Guess the only thing Robert Mueller is going to be quad manufacturing now is license plates.

#23336 2 years ago

Six months from now, Charlie Brooker will have made a Black Mirror episode about this whole sordid affair.

#23424 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#23463 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

How about we stop sending money before pinball machine is made by a real or fictitious company. This would be better for the hobby and Pinside.

That's the first thing any new venture or project has to do now: STOP calling yourselves a 'manufacturer' straight out of the gate with your first announcement or game reveal. Even if you have the best of intentions and know you can actually make the games. With a few notable exceptions, damn near everyone makes the same error. All you're doing is putting yourself up early on the same pedestal as Stern, inviting comparisons of equivalence from the whole community, and without demonstrable ability beforehand of the niche you are carving out, that is not a battle you can survive.

#23477 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bill has stated DR never had the rights to make RAZA or MG in the first place.
So I guess that leaves SUPER CLEAVAGE ALICE IN WONDERLAND?

Chris is adamant that the RAZA prototype should be destroyed and put an end to any speculation, rarity or 'value' once and for all.

I say give it to Bill. It's his IP, and if he feels the same way about it, he should be the one allowed to smash it.

#23538 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Bill can chime in his intentions or wait to see what happens. No different than Heighway & Dutch Pinball revival. Even Stern & JJP almost went under. Pinball is HARD!

Heighway Pinball: -$2.2m. Deeproot: -$58m.

#23539 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"Future events such as this will impact all of us in the future"
-Criswell the Great

"My friend, you have seen this incident based on sworn testimony. Can you prove that it didn't happen? God help us... IN THE FUTURE."

#23767 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Robert must've worked hard in little old lady land to get all that investment money.[quoted image]

Ewwwwwwww.

#23768 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So Blobert didn't pay 88 people's salaries for 3 months? WOW.
Also 88 people... As I mention on Chris's show deeproot Studios could have been an even bigger money sink than the pinball.
88 people is about halfway to a AAA game studio team size. That's.... pretty insane.

$58m is also about halfway to a triple-A MMO. Which is why nobody makes 'proper' old-school MMOs with complete worlds, characters, content or intricate player interaction potential anymore when there's an investment that needs making back quickly and then paying dividends forever through grind-timesavers and loot boxes. That's probably not unlike how Robert thought of the overseeing of his companies in relation to himself.

#23769 2 years ago

What the hell is THAT thing? It's a soapbox derbymobile!

#23770 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

The Andrew Heighway send-off was anticlimactic, this one promises to make up for it.

And to think, if we'd waited barely a *week* or so more for pressure to be put on him to be paid off to go on his merry way, it would have been a lot LESS anticlimatic.

#23772 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

Me thinks he's autistic...or something. That's kind of why I got triggered when you said dumpster diving will be his future. I don't think he's a bad guy or deluded in the same way as Robert. Just not inclined to adapt. So, yeah, not chameleonlike in the way Python Anghelo described him.

He seems to tick all the ASD boxes - the classic one being endlessly starting projects but never finishing them - and many that I see in myself.

#23777 2 years ago

Oh dear... listening to Ben regale about Robert's infatuation with John, I'd say 'get a room' but they went and actually did. A fucking great empty one.

#23778 2 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Seriously, the best part of today was hearing Ben Heck do his jpop impersonation.
I would seriously pay money to hear more of that.

I LOST IT at that. "'Ooooh Bally Willams days pinball college' and fuck that."

#23786 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

He probably bought a mercedes, but he didn't let anyone eat ice cream inside
https://arresteddevelopment.fandom.com/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W126_S-Class

More like this if you want my opinion.

#24095 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

He wanted to buy a pinball company and Pinball Life and then sue everyone who wasn't him. He called them "nuisance lawsuits", intending to "slow other companies down".
The guy is scum. Nobody said anything earlier because he threatens anyone who blinks with a lawsuit. It's why you won't hear much from employees until NDAs expire.
Enjoy prison asshole.

Robert buying Pinball Life would have hurt.

Was that an attempt at 'revenge' because Spooky and Gerry blew him off?

#24103 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

I literally laughed out loud when I read the thing that K posted today about the Raza catching fire when first turned on. In my mind, the actual powering on was conducted with great fanfare and excitement by all involved, and I can only imagine the ensuing panic and gnashing of teeth once the fire burst forth from the cabinet.... hahahaha

Could happen. All it would take would be something as inept as failing to put an end-of-stroke switch on their own flipper mechs and have the flipper coil burn the playfield out.

Don't laugh. New Canasta did this. I still remember seeing the scorch marks under the flipper area at the London amusements trade show years ago.

#24112 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hey what can I say except I TOLD YA
That deeproot would go down in flames
I don't even feel bad because I TOLD YA
They never would ship any games!
I Told Ya
I Told Ya

#24179 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Pinball Wizard: Trials, Tribulations and Tilts

You could turn the Deeproot saga into an Ace Attorney case and players would say it's too convoluted and far-fetched.

#24182 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Let's workshop a name for the inevitable documentary!
Pinball terms the public knows: wizards, tilt, game over
Go!
Pinball Ponzi: The Fall of deeproot
Full Tilt Ponzi
Pinball Ponzi Wizards

Quoted from Manimal:

How about "No Ball save.....the Deeproot Story"......

Quoted from EasternBloc:

Deeproot: For Bemusement Only

Quoted from yancy:

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness
Pinball Wizard: Trials, Tribulations and Tilts

The perfect title exists already: it's called The Producers.

#24196 2 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Oh yeah, real or digital? Look closely at the picture and zoom in. You can't tell the difference. Even has the silk screen dots on the graphics. Its actually better than this without down sizing and taking a pixel photo causing a wavy pattern.
[quoted image]

I'd have to see how the playfield handles distance perspective. The paradox there though is that any photo of a real machine that shows the whole playfield won't give you the correct distance perspective anyway; you have to take the shot back from where you would normally stand, and from the playing position you would be tracking only a portion of the playfield at any time.

#24206 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Barry? Dennis? SAVINGS?
hahahahahahahahaha
Why do you think they were at deeproot?

Well in Dennis' case it was because there was barely anyone else left. Deeproot was hardly the first time his bullshit detector alarm went off.

#24213 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have now played 5 physical, virtual pinball machines. Every single one of them has felt like crap. I played the ones brought to the York show in 2019, I've played the one's at Spinners, I played the upright ones and pinfest, and I've played one in a rando's basement I picked up a pin from off of craigslist.
The graphics look awesome and are getting better every day. My problem is I have yet to play one without any flipper lag.
The exception to this is that it seems to play just fine on my phone when I do the free williams tables. I don't know how or why, but the flipper buttons on virtual pinball machine builds... suck.
When I find one that works I think a virtual pin would be an awesome addition to a game collection, but so far they are a poor substitution.

That sounds like screen latency. You're not getting that on a small phone screen, but even milliseconds between frames on a big screen will throw your timing off. The more the latency, the less you'll be able to get used to it - not because of the inherent lag between what you press and what you see, but because it's the time equivalent of racing the beam on an old Atari game. The time between frames will be constant. The time between presses and the end of the frame update won't be.

#24217 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I love the guy but to paraphrase Rickey Gervais Dennis would work for the Taliban if the started a pinball company.

On the subject of bullshit alarms: when Joe 'I Made Everything In The World' Kaminkow is berating you for downplaying other people's work, you done fucking up, matey.

#24222 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What's this in reference too?

Well the impression I get from the stories I've heard is that Joe would take credit for anything he could, like pinball's Bob Clampett.

A few pages back showed a 'how very dare you' social media post by Joe attacking Robert's (far, far more apalling) attitude and disparagement of industry figures.

#24227 2 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Isn't it time to shut this thread down and return it to the shareholders?

Send it to Cointaker to burn it.

#24257 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I was going to do that after I rage quite Spooky 3 years ago. Then at almost the same time Blobert announces he is making it.
Was very sad. Because I knew Blobert is the kind of slime who would sue me for doing the same public domain theme as him. And also because he'd completely fuck up the concept.
But now? Maybe I should.

This'll make you laugh then. Guess what I nearly ended up working on. I'm not even joking.

wtf (resized).jpgwtf (resized).jpgwhussis (resized).jpgwhussis (resized).jpg
#24274 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Bwaaaaahahahaha!!! OMFG.

And it wasn't Andrew's idea. It apparently was Aranovsky's. He wanted somebody to make it, obviously as a vanity thing, and Stern and JJP must have already turned him down (this being around 2013).

It fell through when the personnel in the licensing department were changed around, and Aranovsky had lost interest. I had done some playfield concept and geometry work on a widebody split-level playfield, which I held over as the first idea to make into Queen, with a third-level cross-playfield shot between the split level, but the Queen licensors had a different direction in mind which wasn't compatible with it.

There's one other license that I'm sure it would fit around, but Ben's already called dibs on it.

#24291 2 years ago

Does Robert know *how* expensive? And... wouldn't relying on ill-gotten gains you're charged with to pay him count as, you know, 'evidence'?

#24293 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Noah? Bah! Merely a single mode in Bible Adventures!

Yes, but it takes forty days to complete.

#24318 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Good question! This whole sordid affair was what, 5 years tops? And he has a wedding, divorce, and another wedding during this time? (paid for by little old ladies)
At TPF 2015 he had divorced "a wife" and was late for a Tinder date after stealing Bible Adventures from me. Did this become wife #2 or #3?

All this business makes it sound like his personal Pro, Premium and LE models.

#24373 2 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

5 and counting

Quoted from Mbecker:

Losing steam tonight.. maybe tmrw morning

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO

thunderbirds-pinball-machine-full-uk (resized).pngthunderbirds-pinball-machine-full-uk (resized).png
#24377 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm really sorry that your time was so wasted, Dennis.
I'm glad you being under contract there did not stop EHOH from seeing its release. You can be proud of that work.

Alien wouldn't exist in its current form either if Dennis hadn't given me the foundations in the first concept CAD image; even though the entire draft was subsequently tweaked, revised, adapted or changed in some way, many of the raw ideas are still there.

#24498 2 years ago

I'm getting confused. In 2014, Dennis was doing the preliminaries, concept drafts and mech ideas for Alien until he figured Andrew's sense of timescale was unworkable. After that, he must have had some degree of involvement in Stern's licensed overseeing of the game he had Greg Freres had made pretty much by hand. Dennis was one of the first to be recruited by DP? Because unless I'm missing something, the DP timeline as being stated by multiple thread sources seems all over the place. Depending on who you ask, John himself could have been in three places at once.

As for John: managing someone involves getting them from point A to point B as efficiently as possible. How, then, does one manage a guy whose design trademark and philosophy haven been a increasingly visible allergy to straight lines since around 1995?

#24522 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Yes JPOP can still be plinky plonky dingy dangy argle bargle

OK, being sensible for a moment. Suppose John gets yet another chance, his name doesn't go down as the most monkey's-paw infamous designer in the industry. You still can't manage him.

Do you know why Popeye Saves The Earth got made? Because Python Anghelo had WMS management's ear, could bend it by talking the legs off a donkey and get anything he wanted greenlit. It's probably thanks to Python that King Features still believes Popeye is a property somehow worth umptyjillion dollars.

Do you know why Barry got lumbered with designing Popeye? Because Barry was a leash who got stitched up by no other sod at WMS prepared by then to go anywhere near a lunatic auteur who could not and would not talk no for an answer. Popeye was otherwise all Python, all of the time, and Barry was the poor old workhorse strapped to the front. Even Barry considers it the worst game he ever made.

What happened when Python had no leash, no teammates, no self-restraint and spent design budgets like a drunken sailor? Pinball Circus is what you got. All both of them. (NB: before you shout BUT CAPCOM PINBALL, that was a vanity tax write-off from minute one of its conception to year two of its shutdown.)

John has proven himself over and over since WMS became We Make Slots to have morphed into another Python. That's why you can't manage him.

#24539 2 years ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Saddening that didn't happen more often then because Pinball Circus is fucking amazing.

But utterly unviable as a 1994 product. So if you can't make it and turn a profit, why let him do it?

You want to know what the single highest-budgeted production machine was, prior to The Pinball 2000 gambit? Circus Voltaire. In 1997. And notoriously unreliable to operate.

#24542 2 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

WHOA! You're right! He totally copied this!!
[quoted image]

Just the fact that he art directed that tells you everything about how his vision of AIW was likely to turn out. You don't 'create' a complete art package and then try to fit the game around it. The hierarchy doesn't work.

#24551 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

We pointed it out above. It's obvious whoever drew this AIW playfield mockup...traced over the J Scott Campbell drawing from above.

Wait, then who copied whom? When was the image on the left created? That playfield mockup is at least seven, maybe eight years old.

#24639 2 years ago

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Aliceman remarked.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Heckire Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

"How do you know I’m mad?" said Aliceman.

"You must be," said the Heckire Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come into this thread.”

#25118 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

But what does the world do with Jpop now ?
Would a Starbucks give Jpop a job ?
Or would there be too much noodling with the coffee grounds ?

From what I'm hearing, John would write his own name on every take-out cup.

#25120 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Anyone who has worked in high tech knows exactly how this went.
Engineers: we can do a quarter of what you asked for in 9 months
Exec: great, look forward to 110% of the functionality in 3 months, plus I already sold it; thanks for your passion, you can expense pizza for weekend evenings
We all know whose fault it is when the project fails.

Two weeks.

#25128 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I asked for better resolution pictures of the inside and this is what I recieved. If I hear anything further I will pass it along.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

"I'M CRAZY BOB AND YOU'RE TRAPPED IN MY JUNK YARD"

#25254 2 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Is there another imagine that more accurately describes this entire shit show of a thread?
[quoted image]

flibble (resized).jpgflibble (resized).jpg
#25344 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh boy. If Robert thinks the SEC is harsh wait'll he gets a load of the gaming news media.

ddpb (resized).jpgddpb (resized).jpg
#25349 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh Christ. Jim Sterling.
Who funds himself through a billion dollar company.
To puts videos on a trillion dollar company.
To tell us capitalism is bad.

Telling though how much crossover there is between what Jim and Chris are both saying about artificial scarcity and value, about what you get for your money versus what you should expect, warnings of what may happen if the cycle continues unchecked, and now about the potential for microtransactions and the abuse thereof; these all being more universal to the core of the respective markets. Because 'pro-consumer' doesn't have to mean 'anti-capitalist'.

#25418 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Gaming "journalism" was dead before the internet blew up in the 2000s. It had been corrupt since the 1980s.

It was better in the UK, much more independent and less biased until the 'new wave' started around the PS1 era with the likes of Edge magazine. But it's all opinion-based, and as with all media being able to differentiate between opinion and actual news is vital.

1 month later
#26622 2 years ago

Why is this still going?

1 week later
#26846 2 years ago

The leaked correspondence (i.e. legal threats) that Robbie Rotten was forwarding to ex-employees not to tattle is a blanket admission that his ultimate goal was to be a patent troll; that's where he saw the money.

Again I ask the *entirely* rhetorical question... "why is this still going".

1 week later
#27066 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Mueller and the Brownnosers

Quoted from littlecammi:

That sounds like a band name for the next music pin.

Nah, it's a Hanna-Barbera series from around 1973.

#27068 2 years ago

Copying Space Cadet Pinball off Windows '95 and making that a 'selling point' is, to coin a phrase from Yahtzee Croshaw, when all the ideas people have gone home and you so cannot be arsed that your arse occupied a different plane of existence.

#27079 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

And what is it when the layout ends up not even matching the original and the game is themed around gladiators instead of outer space?

Evil mirror universe arses with goatees.

#27082 2 years ago

Happy Wednesday.
Robert wanted to get the pinball machines THX certified just so it could have the THX sound effect thing on startup.

THE AUDIENCE IS NOW TONE DEAF

#27144 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

But THE META VERSE!

'Metaverse' is a bloody awful name: it implies self-awareness.

3 months later
#28397 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“We should pool our resources and bring these designs to completion!! A tribute to Barry O!”

No need to go there. I have a clutter of semi-complete CAD files that Barry and I worked on together from the Heighway days. If anyone is in a position to potentially bring out a tribute in some form of another (not necessarily physical), it would most likely be me. Besides, Barry's name should be on Queen when that gets released.

#28398 2 years ago

benheck so how much design ripoff did brimstone actually achieve?
[quoted image]

Oh cock all this noise. Where *is* Food Truck anyway amongst that lot?

#28399 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bible Adventures was always just a concept. We had discussed rules more than layout.
John stole the idea from me first. We found a "creationpinball.com" among his many registered URLs of BS.
I had a short meeting with Robert at TPF 2015 (this was after the first Spooky meeting and before we said no) We are discussing ideas, and I bring up Bible Adventures.
His eyes lit up. Big as saucers. "Yes! I love it! We'll call it FIRE AND BRIMSTONE!" and I'm like "That's not a very good name"
"It's a great idea! Well, I'm divorcing my wife because she got too ugly and I need to go meet my online dating match. Goodbye!" (I shit you not this actually happened)

Do your JPop impression again, that always raises a larf.

#28585 2 years ago

"This isn't a real millionaire, it's a cardboard replica with a hidden tape recorder."

#28621 2 years ago

Kaneda is absolutely guaranteed to have this topic brought up on the Facebook Live tomorrow.

Everybody start pleading the fifth in the chat when it does.

#28624 2 years ago

MODS ARE ASLEEP
POST PLEADING THE FIFTH

#28787 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

In my experience, people with "f*ck you money" are highly intelligent but a lot of their decision making doesn't make sense to "normal" folks or even "rich pinball people" who compared to the rest of the country spend a fortune on games.
People spending $15k on a pinball machine would shock 98% of the country. Paying $100k for a pokemon card is the same. Art, classic cars, NFTs etc. all have dumb money in them. I may not agree with how they choose to spend their $$ but typically they did something smart to get it in the first place.

Indie Gamer / Pinball Chick, herself with venture capitalist experience from a wealthy family, says that being rich isn't just something you *are*. It involves a whole new skillset that you have to *learn.*

#28788 2 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Who the hell are you talking to? Harry Williams and David Gottlieb through the Dione Warwick psychic friends hotline? Make sure you tell them to welcome Barry and Lyman.

Barry at this very moment will be advising them all "No, no, none of us need the money anymore, really really DON'T go anywhere near this."

#28789 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well regardless, they certainly aren't going to be destroyed. Their ultimate fate is likely to function poorly and intermittently and end up in storage or non-working on display. And sure I'd love to caress the pinbar with my own hands. Maybe they'll end up getting toured around various spots, like Bonnie and CLyde's car.

So... riddled with bullet holes then.

#28794 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I don’t disagree with you. I guess it comes down to what is “rich”. I wasn’t referring to multi millionaires who are “rich” by almost every standard imaginable but most that I know are pretty standard humans whose lives aren’t that different, everything is just a little extra.
The few people I know worth hundreds of millions live in a complete different world Ana their perspective is unlike anything I’ll ever understand.

One of the hardest things, apparently - and this is one reason why rich guys can come across as callous - is learning how to say 'no' and not hate yourself for it. It's not because you're training yourself not to care, it's because once you get into the habit of saying 'yes' to people you will never, ever stop, and everyone will know it.

#28801 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

And there's a secret passage into a disused Tube station where Q tests Bond equipment. Everything must go! It looks empty but that's invisible cars for you.

#28900 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Going through the lots, a ton more unused playfield switches, rubbers, different solenoid plungers and mechs (looks like maybe some up posts, knockers, slings, etc), coin doors, etc
[quoted image]
Looks like a early foam core layout of a game we’ve seen in a more advance stage (which we were told was to be the Space Cadet/Gladiator, but it seems like they were mistaken based on the white wood that showed up yesterday)
In the middle I’m guessing is Nordmans Yukon Yeti. Several months ago he confirmed his white wood was leaning up against the wall in a photo. Pretty sure this is that wall
On the right yet another RAZA scrap playfield. Not sure about the far right.

Jaysus Chroist, all those HOW many whitewood ideas? There's putting all your eggs in one basket and then there's trying to squeeze in an entire battery farm.

2 weeks later
#29984 2 years ago

Fire and Brimstone in four words: 'you had one Job'.

#29985 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Fire and Brimstone looks like a Jpooper game.

Can't be. It's got straight lines on it.

#30003 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

My Bible Adventures (which I guess I can make now?) the "dumb dumb" easy shot was going to advance the Plagues of Egypt. 10 plagues, 10 shots to start Exodus. None of this "spelling Pharaoh" nonsense (that's so Jpop)

I AM THE PHARAOH, DEFEAT ME FOR THE RED SEA MARVEL

#30026 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Jpop is pestilence.

Obvious punchline was obvious.

#30040 2 years ago

The latest K episode is an employee interview who spills the beans about what was happening at the end and how letigiously hostile Robert was prepared to be - the word 'cronies' is used - and all I can say is holy. Effing. Shit.

#30041 2 years ago

The man and his completely blinkered sky's-the-limit attitude was, and still is, a MANIAC.

If I were to ever see him face to face, the only thing I'd do would be to say flatly to his face, "you destroyed Barry Oursler's family." And then walk away.

#30078 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh God I just has a horrible thought - what if Jpop shifts into NFTs?
It's PERFECT for him.

Isn't that what he's been doing for the last ten years now?

#30080 2 years ago
Quoted from twazu:

Does anyone know where this playfield ended up? It was in the lot I won, but was mysteriously missing when the lot was picked up.
[quoted image]

That's the early Fire & Brimstone. I guess God took it back.

#30081 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

As for The Who and Black Hole playfields. I was gonna try to take some better pics. I can say, since I packed it up, Black Hole is very bare and not much underneath. The Who definitely had some major headway done on it. Lots underneath. There’s two other playfields not pictured yet, but I haven’t been back to my brother’s to sift through it yet.

Least we know who was doing the Black Hole one. I can see a lot of Barry Oursler in The Who as well, variations on ideas and shots that were in his unused Heighway work.

#30082 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Title TBD aka Black Hole 2 is amazingly complex. I love its excess
It also seems like when it rotates a lot of stuff is in the way to shoot the black of the playfield? Maybe stuff would move up and down?
Just a super wild idea.
It’s crazy how people just bounced between very ambitious projects and not focusing on finishing a single one.

I don't think it rotates. It looks like one great big lower playfield, angled backwards like the original BH has.

#30101 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

It would have to rotate and tilt. Looks like it rotates 180 degrees and can be used as shown ( a smaller play field with flippers hitting back at the player) Then it has to rotate 180 degrees from the position shown and tilt up to mate with the rest of the playfield. Then the flippers shoot away from the player and the upper half of the playfield is available to the player. It has to start in a position opposite of what is shown and it has to rotate otherwise the game has no shooter lane. It would only have a shooter lane when the flippers are rotated to the bottom.

I not so sure. Look how deep the cabinet is. To my mind, the main playfield must be raised and supported much higher up with a perspex window over the lower field area. That would let you attach the rest of the shooter lane to it. It would also have to be high enough up for an extra pair of flipper mechs to attach to with no clash (unless they use the P3 method, not likely). But unless I'm missing something, the sticking point for a turning playfield would be that if you rotate it 180 degrees you have no way of shooting past that playfield area. It's all self-contained. I see no additional flippers on the main field either. So after you launch the ball into play, what does the game do?

Perhaps instead the idea was for that large area to have two levels and to raise up and down, like Zaccaria Time Machine.

#30102 2 years ago
Quoted from IMI4tth3w:

A little tidbit behind the electronics: The idea was that it would be modular and games would share 90% of the hardware/wiring. We would be able to mass order the cables at certain lengths to save costs and eliminate game specific custom harnesses. You lose on having a lot more connectors and more wires under the playfield but you gain in modularity. Whether or not this was the correct route to pursue is debatable. But that's the route deeproot went.

Oh no, not again. The modular playfield idea was a bust for us at Heighway, Spooky has discovered the pitfalls of two similar games with 'identical' playfields, Andrew McBain floated the same idea before Spooky showed us it but was easy to convince why it was impractical from a design standpoint, and Stern only 'reskin' games long after the fact (Family Guy / Shrek excluded, which they managed to make work). Only P3 has successfully demonstrated the potential of such a model, and that's purely because of what P3 is and it's been and long and very hard sell until Gerry struck gold with Weird Al.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=EalaDubhSidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.