View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Late 2016 – 2017
deeproot begins reaching out to several pinball designers. After spending significant time weighing pros and cons, deeproot decides that pinball designer John Popadiuk (“JPop”) is the best option available. They decided this knowing there would be backlash from some in the pinball community, and knowing they would need to address John’s past mistakes with Zidware.

I've never understood the calculus that would arrive at this determination, especially after American Pinball attempted to use JPop. If a start-up wanted an established designer (makes sense, the start-up would not have the institutional knowledge to train one internally), there are a number of options devoid of baggage that could either be contracted with (Nordman does this) or hired (Oursler just was, last I heard Jon Norris remains interested in designing).

JPop's advantages I assume would be his stable of well-known/liked machines from the Williams years (though a real coup would have been to go after Brian Eddy or Mark Ritchie, if the "name recognition" angle were the primary motivator) or the desire to take advantage of a stable of existing designs (a time-saver of sorts, though obviously you take on baggage with the Zidware designs). I just couldn't figure how this outweighs the need to address the Zidware situation, the number of collectors who will likely never buy a new JPop design (regardless of the Zidware outcome, given how it was handled for years), and the quantity of design talent (both old guard and fresh blood) presently in the hobby.

But, I'm not an entrepreneur and perhaps I'm overlooking something. Just seems like more trouble for them (or any start-up) than it is worth.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

The first question in the interview is this:
Hiring John Popadiuk meant deeproot would either have to attempt to help the Zidware customers or face backlash from some in the pinball community.  Why start in pinball with that burden, why not go with a different designer?

Your overall topic outline is solid and I look forward to reading it!

#58 6 years ago

I'd rather Zidware had declared bankruptcy, given pennies on the dollar to all their creditors, sold the IP to interested parties, and formally closed out the situation years ago (rather than sit and spend everything, when it was clear things wouldn't work; not to mention the pyramiding of RAZA and AiW into this mix of bad choices). But, I'm not a Zidware customer, either.

2 months later
#472 6 years ago

The TWIP interview noted that deeproot Pinball would have an interview with Tony and me on our February 11th podcast episode, so I figured I should provide a bit of an update. I conducted the interview today, so the release is date-certain now. Topics we discussed include software, hardware, the Zidware Good Will terms, and assembly. I'll post the link here when I have the episode live (we still have to assemble most of it, and I can't do that until the 11th). My thanks to those who provided question suggestions, they were very helpful (and I tried to monitor this thread for ideas as well).

#483 6 years ago

Alright, the podcast episode just released, here is a link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-465086826/episode-55

The interview is just after the introduction segment (jump ahead to 4:30 to get just before it starts), and runs a little over 50 minutes.

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Listening now and you had me when you announced your broadcast is the only explicit one. Well that and after learning Dennis has a buttery smooth voice!

Sadly, I think you misheard (or if I said it wrong then I guess I have another correction to make!). We are not explicit, Flippin' and Mashing is (Brokentoken, Game Room Junkies, and us at EGP are clean-lyics... at least I think the others are). So if you want the f-bombs then Flippin' is what you want for mixed gaming! But if it helps Tony and I do swear a lot, just off-air.

#494 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Thanks for your preparation and great questions asked. I learned a bit and it actually peaked my curiosity. Any chance for a mini interview with follow up questions (and some strong language)?

If they are interested after the 5 Days, sure, we left that option open. Tony and I actually don't do many interviews (we prefer having guest hosts on instead), so I'd want to wait a while regardless.

Quoted from solarvalue:

Great interview Dennis! Pretty interesting stuff, especially the part where Robert said that he thought the Multimorphic P3 wasn't innovative and that they would be taking things in a different direction. Looking forward to seeing what that looks like.

In an interesting coincidence, Multimorphic is actually the only other manufacturer we've ever interviewed, and it focused a lot on the technological differences between the P3 system and a traditional pinball machine. So I'm also very interested in seeing the differences.

4 years later
#32049 1 year ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

I hadn't heard before about the pinball brothers deeproot connection as mentioned on the most recent Eclectic gamer's podcast. Dennis mentioned that the two companies were in talks about potential license purchase/transfer. He said Queen was offered for 500K and Playboy was offered for 75K. Possible that the queen layout and design done by Barry was part of the bigger purchase price. If this was previously mentioned, feel free to ignore.

I misremembered the figures, I've gone back and checked the message I received. Per the deeproot person, Pinball Brothers wanted *over* $500k for Queen and wanted $125,000 for Playboy (not the $75,000 I stated on the episode). My apologies.

I was also told that at the time deeproot was budgeting $85,000 per machine in development costs. This was all early May 2018.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DennisK.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=DennisK and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.