View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #111 Firsthand information from the Magic Girl programmer. Posted by applejuice (6 years ago)

Post #3026 RAZA promotional video Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5771 First RAZA gameplay video Posted by ZMeny (4 years ago)

Post #5874 RAZA video with more audible game sounds Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5926 First RAZA video with successful ramp completion Posted by zaphX (4 years ago)

Post #5967 Another RAZA gameplay video Posted by flynnibus (4 years ago)

Post #6050 Closeup pictures of key playfield features Posted by Potatoloco (4 years ago)

Post #6133 Video of display animations Posted by LateCenturyMods (4 years ago)

Post #6329 Summary of Robert Mueller's interview Posted by jeffspinballpalace (4 years ago)

Post #6724 RAZA Gameplay video Posted by DS_Nadine (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2052 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

VR = cool tech but nobody wants to wear that when gaming.

I bought a PSVR headset more than a year ago, thinking I would get a few hours of use out of it. I now do all my non-pinball gaming in VR (admittedly that is ~ an hour a week or so).

The VR community is growing, and more games are coming out on a weekly basis than I could realistically play.

Put it this way I am sure VR is is a hell of a lot larger than the pinball community, with a heck of a lot more room to grow

#2082 5 years ago

All I can say is very games like firewall zero hour are a great way to spend an hour here and there.

When in VR your mind creates more solid memories than just staring at a flat screen with a controller in your hand.

People are free to be wrong or will fully uninformed. Or even not enjoy things.

But VR has a bright future, hopefully pinball can keep up!

11 months later
#5580 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I agree!
thank god it’s not a giant screen like JJP uses. Maybe I’m in the minority but I like playing pinball not watching movie clips. I guess they are good for observers but all I think of is the hitler rant video when WOZ was released.
“I’m trying to keep the ball in play...Who cares about a large display!”
I’d always Choose a machine with a few really cool toys on it and a tiny dataeast style display over one that had less interactive/creative toys with a giant screen.

Why not get both? I mean aside from cost. Why is having a fully loaded game with a killer display undesirable?

#6053 4 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Who doesn’t love David Thiel?!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

Arguably David Thiel is the reason I have a Dialed In right now over a Wonka. He knows his stuff!

#6594 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I don't know much about this company or pin but anytime a new pinball is designed and goes into possible manufacturing than it's a good thing. Not sure why people are being so negative about a new pin...let alone a early prototype with some low grade pictures and video. Seems most that actually played it had fun and said it's a good start. Can't everyone just be excited for more options ? If you like it buy it..if not then wait for another new release. Fun or not what a great time to be in this great hobby with so many new choices.

You don't know any of the back story .... and you don't know why people are a bit prickly about this issue.

I wonder if those two things are connected?

#6616 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

And why does it honestly matter? We only become investors if we Buy a game so it seems irrelevant unless he robbed a bank to build the machines.

I think you are confusing the word investor with customer....

1 month later
#7051 4 years ago

All I really need to know is Punny Factory went from being a joke of a joke to something I can apparently buy with money, and probably is more functional than RAZA as shown (disclaimer: I have not played either game yet shockingly).

Punny Mother-duckin' Factory!
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2019/12/16/punny-factory/

Made by the guy who could not put out a pinball book without ruining every step of the process (accidentally duplicating an entire chapter was the runny brown icing on top of the crap cake).

He made a game... that is apparently close to being done. In less than a year or two?

Similar to Skit-B, aside from all the heartache there Kevin K's worst punishment is just stuck being himself forever. Deeproot's punishment might be being shown up by the Punny Factory team.

And I don't say that lightly; they have a lot of great talent there. I really hope the next reveal blows us away, vs. just blowing...

6 months later
#8810 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I can only speak for my company but we receive parts and products from all over the world and there's only been slight delays . Maybe labour is their problem ?

Yeah, definitely their help. Not their leadership. Riiiiiiight.

1 month later
#9350 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Brilliant but...Kaneda said today that the actual construction sheets of RAZA say the game will be 1-2 levels up the prototype. If that is the case I will get one without flipping newly bought AIQLE. To then pay 3 pins end of year (RM, AIQ, RAZA) will attack my crypto savings but cant help it bc RAZA will be limited RM said yesterday. Limited...

Every pinball machine or physical item in the universe is limited. Everything is very special limited run. Act now!

3 months later
#15127 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You can have an opinion and speculate all you want.
If you are correct you get NOTHING other than the satisfaction of watching a failed venture go down the toilet and bringing out the “I told you so” towels.
If you are wrong, you still get NOTHING
But once again, I appreciate everyone’s advice on how I should spend my f ing money. Thank you very little!
Ben is def hanging out the wrong people and that’s just my opinion.
Now, back to more titties Ted!

Definitely not black and white. Discussing clear warning flags is okay, I don't think going the "chest thumping everything's fine idiots" route is really that helpful either (thinking back to a particular Predator and Heighway defender).

I mean if you put your money forward to this venture despite the prior repeated broken commitments, waiver that you have to sign in case you get a crappy barely playable game, admission "our first games are not going to be 100%, we need your help fixing stuff", and more stuff that I can't even remember, you are braver than I am. That does not mean I want them to fail, but the reality I see suggests a much higher likelihood of failure than success.

I mean this company could not even stick the reveal landing; how many different ways did that go sideways. Repeated delays, initially showing off a crappy prototype game "on purpose to get feedback", more delays, bringing in pinball media, followed by more delays, then putting a game on test or something, finally followed by a 15 minute or so video of some people playing and talking about the game. Wow.

Then getting "tricked" into trying to trick buyers into some FOMO by only keeping orders open for a month or so, to get blindsided by at least one major Stern release and other rumored releases to bite into your sales. I mean if you were trying to fail, you could not do a better job.

#15137 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And btw, it’s my opinion that Raza blows away that pos LZ

Your opinion is wrong

And yes, I am just being argumentative... I will say I think the odds of a RAZA selling at above the preorder price (one year after release say) is larger than somehow LZ selling at more than retail. So RAZA wins being a better speculative investment. Yay.

#15144 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Raza wins in every way over LZ except theme

I hope you are right!

Quoted from iceman44:

And hey, I am the first to criticize the pure shit execution of DR to this point

We agree; I am just in the "prove it" camp at this point. I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt (or my money) when everything else is flashing "danger will Robinson".

Quoted from PinMonk:

Cosmic Carnival and Thunderbirds would like a word with you. Rarity does not automatically equal value/desirability.

Agreed obviously; there are some pins that I would have trouble taking for any price as I would not wanting them to take up one of the slots in my collection for more than a few plays. I have to hope that RAZA plays better than both of those (and I have played Thunderbirds a handful of times..., no such experience on Cosmic Carnival).

Given people now seem to be asking near MM money for some of the older JPOP games his games have their fans. If somehow RAZA is limited to 100 to 200 units, it can play like crap and have terminal hardware issues and still have collectors fighting over owning it for bragging rights.

#15164 3 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

What's that kid doin in the bottom left corner?

And that teacher looks overjoyed to be there!

And re the statement below it could be true for some. Others are tired of watching people fall for the same old same old. And RM made himself a target with his grandstanding and "optimistic" overpromises. I think that is a lot of it, combined with JPOP stink.

Quoted from wesman:

I've asked the same thing, over and over again.
None of these people will acknowledge this, but it's not for reasons of looking out for other's well being and cash.
It's ego versus ego.
They see these people aim, often wrecklessly and foolishly, very high, and it's an easier thing to shoot down at them (in their mind) when in reality they're shooting up at them. These people are attempting to reach for greatness, and others that attack them as a second career.....aren't. They aren't capable, didn't take the risk, don't have the ability.
Ego.
The biggest naysayers here aren't realists. Realists acknowledge two possible outcomes. Success or failure. Wounded egos only wish to break, tear, and destroy.
In less than a year, we'll see 1 of 2 possible groups of people in this thread. Those that wish they hadn't "invested" or those that wish they had....

2 weeks later
#15513 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

REAL price? Start up discounts? This is HELLA fishy guys...

Ah, watcha worried about. Not like they had buyers sign away their rights or anything, or anybody involved in the company previously took in a bunch of money and then stiffed people on the goods...

1 week later
#15579 3 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Link to interview please

I am sure it is something like RM said 6 weeks ago when he was asking for money games would be shipping now. No way that could end up being optimistic right?

I mean really...

#15624 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

How on earth does company make promises about shipping schedules before they even have:
- UL/CE testing approved
- Working production line, including workers
- Required parts on the table

Answer: Derproot.

#15663 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Really! I know some here just love to see themselves talk and try to show their butt buddies here how smart they supposedly are but its time to put your keyboard aside for at least 24 hours, get a job and see what happens instead of rambling on about something you really know very little about.

Nice!

It actually takes a lot of restraint to not just open a can of whoop ass on this company every time they do something that anybody with a dollop of sense seems crazy. I could itemize every crazy or bad decision they have made, but spoilers, I would just be regurgitating this entire thread.

Most of us legitimately hope they deliver something cool, and somehow don't wipe themselves out before at the very least delivering games that they have received money for. But after watching them set a rake on the ground, then obliviously walk into it and be surprised that it smacks them in the face what feels like a dozen times now, it seems really far fetched they somehow have it figured out now.

I mean wait until they realize that screwing a game together "is hard", and even harder is when you make each game a one off custom jobbie. WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS GOING TO BE HARD!

And there will be the common sense face palmer's here, and others who will say "shut up, you don't know how hard this all is". We didn't say it was going to be easy peasy. This company did.

#15692 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

PinSanitizer(tm) add-on gently sprays the flipper buttons with a disinfectant mist (which is, of course, purple colored) after each game.
To reload the PinSanitizer(tm) simply swap out the PinPerfumeCartridge(tm) which contains an RFID locked pump mechanism, enough fluid for 25 sanitations and is, of course, molded in purple plastic.
You can order new PinPerfumeCartridges(tm) from deeproot. Each cartridge costs $500, $250 of which is the core charge to return your empty unit because we care about the environment! Or, for an even better savings, customers subscribed to PinCare(tm) will receive a 10% discount(tm) on each PinPerfumeCartridge(tm) and deeproot will waive the core charge.

There is too much truth here...

#15700 3 years ago
Quoted from waveman:

Remember all the talk about DLC and a subscription model? That makes no sense when there are only 160 machines.

It's ALMOST like they don't know what they are doing.

#15732 3 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Question is why does Deeproot keep slipping.... this far into things.... this last missed call is honestly a bit baffling. How could they take cash, tell people they are going to have their games shortly with this much unknown....it just does not add up... potential explanations:
- They need the cash
- investors losing patience, needed to show progress and show the orders in the pin (don’t think the orders helped here if that is the case)
- they lack proper project mgmt. a good project manager can highlight the unknown, risks, dependencies, etc.... having said this.....you don’t know what you don’t know and rarely do the unknowns make thing easier or go faster.....
- company culture, are people saying what they know, or is the pressure so great inside the challenges are not being surfaced...
- supplier challenges which Robert highlighted... I don’t even want to guess the number of suppliers they are trying to manage, especially with all the innovation.
- any other thoughts?
Time to “find the bottom”.... what is the worst case in the timeline., the cost, etc... ask purchasing, mfg, etc...how long it will take...then ask them how much faster can you get it done (most likely you already have best case..), then ask how much longer could it take.... learn from other examples... what was the longest time it took to get a supplier up and running..... then build in contingency.
Still wishing deeproot the best.... hoping they can get this to market soon.
Someone above mentioned jus moving onto the next game... not sure that would make sense financially....
If they already have 70% of parts on hand, and let’s assume that from a $ perspective they are unique to RAZA, they probably want to ship the game as that costs is all sunk... would need to see some more details to really make a pure financial call there..... lots of reasons to ship this game besides the pure financials.

You are confusing them saying they have 70 percent of the parts ordered with them being on hand.

How can they be so clueless? Simple answer is they are clueless.

2 weeks later
#15896 3 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

I'm so close to a BINGO!!!
[quoted image]
Did they officially have the "Five Days of Deep Root" yet?!

Wow, and upvote is not enough for that post. Well done!

#15903 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I have a Black Hole project pin that *maybe* I'll work on someday. It would be neat to see a new version of it.

The only black hole deeptoot has is the one they are throwing investor money into.

#15927 3 years ago
Quoted from pbwizard14:

Robert should have had special pricing for the month of December and limited sales to that month 1 to1.5K below what the game would sell for once they started shipping.

Yes, but that would would have been a good idea and makes sense. Obviously DR would do the opposite...

#15950 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Who needs actual Gameplay when you have INNOVATION?

Who needs actual games to play when you have INNOVATION?

#15965 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Scam people ? No, of course not. Have a potentially dubious cash position and trying to limp to a finish line of sorts ? Quite possibly. Few businesses set out to scam people. Many businesses though go into bankruptcy all the time and take investor and customer money with it on the way down. Again I hope they have some solid financial foundation below them, will deliver, and will prove all the naysayers (including myself) wrong. Everyone benefits from that. But optimistic that will be the outcome here ? Uh .... no.

Exactly; IF Deeproot was a scam it would be an even more incompetent scam than it is a pinball manufacturer. See the recent ASOA thread for a "less expensive" way to get a few hundred thousand from pinball enthusiasts.

Do I think they have shown every step of the way how clueless they are when it comes to assembling over a hundred unique made to order games? Yes. Prototyping, revealing and taking in money is the "easy" part. And they have made that look so very very hard... how are they supposed to get over the manufacturing hump without screwing that up too?

#15986 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Don't forget this gem.
[quoted image]

If they only make a handful of prototype playfields, this could again be legit.

1 week later
#16106 3 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

If this is accurate it would be a fun GoFundMe just to buy this building to throw JPop and RM out on their asses.

#16152 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I know everyone is really enjoying dumping on Deeproot. Just saying didn't JJP take years to get out their first game? It still takes them a long time to get any game out. Spooky still expects buyers to wait up to two years for their game. CGC took s long time to get out MM and years since last game. TBL and Alien same thing. New Alien nothing but delays. Stern may get a game out on time but may have to wait a long time for code updates.

Yes. In other news water is wet...

#16156 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If you have been following this thread you would know it is way more than just manufacturing delays. None of those other company's you compare them to have the *horrible* public relations they have, nor the Inspector Clouseau methods.
Sure those other company's have all had their missteps but their over all conduct and history allows them the benefit of doubt.
For the sake of our Pinside brothers that have a stake in Deeproot, I hope they can turn this all around and give us something to cheer about. As of today I see nothing to hang my hat on.

Yes, thank you for adding this context. What I really meant to say is if you even read back a few pages it should be pretty apparent why DR is getting this special treatment.

The RAZA thread seems to be in full on "shoot the messenger" mode. That most recent update is not particularly confidence inspiring.

#16503 3 years ago

As others have said I would not even make a "donation to pinside" bet , or even a bragging rights bet that "DR will fail". Putting myself in a place to benefit even emotionally from that is pretty distasteful.

Any time where I would set myself up to "win" something and know it would just taste like ash, I know just to take a step back.

As to "why" I think they will fail, this has been documented a million times already.

It would be like coming across a car that says "Toronto or Bust" (thousands of miles from where I live) that is missing 2 wheels and has smoke coming from both ends. It is going to get your attention, and most reasonable people would think "I don't think that car is going to make it".

But then you see them detach their steering wheel while driving and throw it out the window "to increase the odds they will make it".

DR is the pinball equivalent of that sort of horror show, only in this case the person driving the wreck of a car would be blaming the person watching for their failures...

#16511 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I´m the complete opposite. I allways bet against my favorite teams in important matches.
If my team wins', i´m happy as a horse and if my team loses, i get a monetary consolation price.

Fair enough, in this case seeing pinball fans (even if they are rosy optimists) get hosed is not something I want to be rooting for. Sports is fair game

#16551 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The pinbar is absolutely ridiculous.

The pinbar is pure deeproot then.

#16558 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What is the latest ETA from deeproot on customer deliveries?

In pure deeproot fashion they committed to not announcing any more eta dates and said their March eta was a misunderstanding.

Whoop.

#16650 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How about just using a regular steel lockdown bar that doesn't have a tv screen in it like ever other lockdown bar of the past 60 years?
Just a thought.

Eh, I am not anti innovation. Try something new. I am open to be dazzled.

But at the end of the day the company has to produce something, and not take advantage of people to do it.

Just thumping your chest that somehow "you will get a game no matter what" and becoming 2021's Whysnow is really not that admirable. Are you really going to be super proud of your "rare" game if other hobbyists lose out "so you can get yours?".

Even gullible/misled investors seem to be on the short end of this misadventure. And hopefully the staff are actually paid for their work. I am not setting the bar particularly high here...

A reasonable person would want a fun pinball GAME (this is supposed to be about fun after all), and not at the cost of other people's misery.

#16653 3 years ago

The discussions of pinbar production solves are interesting (I wonder if RM would be able to follow them). But come on, does anyone really think it's the holdup and once resolved to expect shipping notices for razas flying out the doors?

Of course, even if they got 100% of the parts, and all parts passed inspection, and the machines were certified (UL/CE?)... they would just hit the next roadblock of "building things is hard".

#16770 3 years ago

I find Iceman entertaining. I do worry for his well being sometimes and I don't wish him unhappiness.

I do find the idea of him talking to himself in this thread humorous though.

It would be the deeproot of pinside threads. Incompetent. Clueless. Unaware. Unrepentant.

#16970 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Regardless, a warranty on something that doesn't yet exist is just as good as no warranty on something that doesn't yet exist. Gotta get over that 1st hurdle before warranty talk is even really warranted.

Stop talking sense!

1 week later
#17393 3 years ago

The only thing crazier than blaming the skeptics for not producing RAZA's will be blaming the buyers for "not wanting the game". "Sorry we had to cancel as too many people backed out".

3 weeks later
#17890 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

All he cares about is art. It's why he hired and indulged Jpoop.
It's also why he hired a bunch of ex Disney Infinity staff so his LCD could have "Disney Quality Animations"
Art > everything else.

I am sure having Haggis score a win with Fathom 2.0 (they will surely sell all their Mermaid editions super fast) should be another wakeup call for the DR crew. Maybe we are doing something wrong?

#17922 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Well, fill us in on what we are getting wrong please

Clearly we are missing the string of shining, obvious, non-stop successes that is Deeproot.

How could we miss seeing something so plain as day?

Quoted from Mark1971:

lmfao I have never seen a bigger group of crying complainers who never put down a penny but know it all. This is defiantly a group of weak men with nothing better to do but bitch and complain. What a bunch of whimp's

I defiantly think wimp is spelled differently....

#18075 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Scam might be a bit far on this one ? Just simple arrogance, ineptitude, incompetence, denial and blindness more like it with Jpop thrown in for excess baggage.
Silence and nothing shown since the reveal debacle not encouraging.

Correct, a scam would be way more organized than this. This is just ineptitude.

If I had the time a "full timeline" of DR stupidity would be interesting..

- promising the world
- repeatedly bungling any sort of reveal
- finally revealing the "production" game with boring as 15 minute or so video that did not generate any interest or excitement
- having orders open for a month, despite previously mentioning a part of their business plan was supporting games with what sounded like paid DLC (this DLC feature was also incongruent with launching a tonne of games in rapid succession)
- being ~6 months into their CE adventure, despite previously wanting to ship games in Jan. 2021?
- apparently pricing their games before getting a final BOM, then going "oh no...".
- having what feels like a million a-la-carte options, to make actually producing any games even harder...

It is just stupid piled on top of stupid... I know the preorder thread says we all are just hating for the fun of it, but really how much of this can just be waived away with "yeah, but I will get my game so who cares?".

#18213 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

tl;dr
Nothing.

Quoted from Bublehead:

From Brink of destruction to going gang busters, it changes by the minute... come back when post count reaches 36k...

My prediction:

By the time this thread reaches 36000 posts DR will have shipped a game. And declared some form of insolvency.

#18281 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Robert's projections for the Zidware games were in the thousands each. Lunacy! That's why I think the money is gone, if he sold investors on the same numbers we saw back in 2015 they can't be too happy with 130 units.

The only thing worse than selling less than 130 units (as I think that includes the discounted or free units given to zidware customoers?) is then losing more money the more you make if you mispriced them. If you did not have your costs in order when you sold them, then you get the joy of now being incentivized to make as few as possible to stop your losses.

Pinball is a manufacturing business... that is where you should be making your money. Not noodling endlessly.

#18327 2 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I'll bet your right. BTW for those interested one betting site has odds on if Deep Root will ever ship a game. You get 30 to 1 if you bet yes they will ship a game in this lifetime. Bet 1000 and win 30000... who would risk the 1000? LOL

How on earth do you collect on a bet where the time horizon is forever?

Deeproot Beta the Crowdfunded Third could ship a game in 2026.

So what? It might even be good.

#18329 2 years ago
Quoted from davjoszie:

With a reasonable timeframe, at 30-1 odds, I'd bet the farm they never ship a game.

It would be tempting!

#18359 2 years ago

FWIW , for ALL of the crazy stupid that is Deeproot, they have more or less kept up with communications since taking people's money (6 months or so ago now!).

They have not gone super secret radio silence, and their communications usually contain some really surprising bits. So good job there I guess.

And given all the crazy stupid, it is easy to lose sight of Robert and JPoP being true pinheads. They are a lot of other things (none of which include being rockstar pinball manufacturers). As noted earlier the stuff they care about seems to be the stuff us crazy pinheads in theory care about. Art, rules, custom themes etc... shame they seem to have so many personality quirks that they have let their pure pinball passion get in the way of delivering a viable pinball manufacturing business to date.

#18382 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder what's the latest on this doozy of a promotion
[quoted image]

Reasonable restrictions reply - the whole contest seems a bit unreasonable if you are having trouble moving 100 games.

And I like how RM got top billing over the other designers; that is classic!

#18683 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Could also be they're going to use the refunds as a way to gauge validity of continuing. But... if they're ok with 130 sales after 30 million invested perhaps there's no floor?

I think after a point it becomes why work hard if you have already horribly failed? e.g. if I was in their shoes, would I bust by butt to make 130 games, or make as few as I could? If the whole thing is a financial boondoggle where the potential revenue is dwarfed by losses, why would you work harder to double your revenue (especially if you lose money on each sale...).

1 month later
#19194 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ohhhhh my Bubble, sounds just like Jpop had planned. It also doesn’t inspire confidence
I wish them well and anxiously awaiting how they will produce 50 games a month.
Show me. Then maybe DR can contract it out to them. Lol

Haggis building DR games seems less like fantasy than DR building their own games at this point.

3 weeks later
#19978 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

They have built nothing.

That was what I was thinking...

#19980 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think you’re waaaaaay overestimating what people in pinball make, let alone people working for a startup. But hey, if Bowden has been able to milk RM for that much, the more power to him.

I think he meant 200k across 3 or 4 positions...

3 weeks later
#21753 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The other thread is tearing itself apart, Lisa!
It's GLORIOUS!

This should be more of a time to stick together, rather than sharpening our pitchforks for each other. We will probably know in a week or so whether this is "really" over, or just another speedbump in the endless DR drama.

Either way a bit of civility is the least anybody should be able to expect. I am not perfect for sure, but I also don't expect any thank you cards for playing the "I told you so, look at how smart I am" card.

#21762 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem with this is its not “I told you so, I’m smart,” it’s “I told you so, but literally any idiot could have seen what’s coming. A 9-year old German Shepard probably could have figured out sending deep root money was a bad idea. A cabbage realized this.”
It’s less of a brag and more of a sense of shock and disbelief.

I can be surprised too that people sent DR preorder money, even with all the red flags a lot of people saw.

Some people were able to overlook those. Some just wanted a cool game, some probably got greedy and thought it would be a good game to flip for a profit. Saying any idiot could have seen it coming is not super helpful to those who were just overly optimistic.

If someone was just in it for the greed, I can't be bothered to feel bad your gamble did not pay off. That is different than actively feeling joy for your loss. A lot more people seemed in it for the urge to see something different. And in their case we all lose because a DR that delivered on their crazy promises would have been an interesting addition to the pinball mix!

#21771 2 years ago

OK gang, here's some red meat: Current deeproot employee publicly posts that in July the company closed down "temporarily" (and gives no indication the company has reopened).

Source?

#22316 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Before I played it, I initially thought JP would be boring because it's always the same thing, catch the dino in the paddock. After getting and playing the game, I realized that was way off... this is a game where the sum is greater than the parts.
The Control room modes, T-rex events, Chaos multiball and Raptor multiball all combine to really mix the game up. If you're in Control Room, you're not advancing T-Rex as much (and vice-versa), so gameplay varies quite a bit there. I've had games where I didn't start the first T_Rex MB til I was on the 4th paddock. The smart missile's ability to instantly award valuable features can change a game dramatically in an instant. And side features like Pteranadon can be huge if played correctly.
Most importantly though, on top of all those other features, is how each dino plays differently. Paddocks are almost never a case of making a set number of shots and finishing the mode. The rescues are scattered randomly, some dinos seek out nearby employees whole others don't, some dinos are fast, some can make special moves, some are immune to tranquilizers, etc. Every paddock is a unique mini-game. Rescues and rescue streaks are important for lighting features and scoring well, so you always have to balance rescuing employees with all those other features. Tougher dinos require trap and helipad shots, which then add strategy - do you use your supertranq to stop the dino on an "easy" shot, then try to shoot the trap, heli and capture before he can move, or do you save the tranq for an employee in danger? Or leaving an employee at control room unrescued til the last minute to lure the dino all the way to the left, then try to get traps and heli going to catch the dino at the easy up the middle shots as he comes back across the island for more meals? Setting up successful traps against tough dinos later in the game requires more forethought than most pinball modes. It all combines to make gameplay unlike any other modern pinball I've played.

Great write up. The gameplay and the movie assets code makes it one of the all round best packages.

I bought a pro and it has exceeded my expectations.

If you don't do the work to understand the game, like most games a person will be like "it sucks and I don't know what I am doing". Yeah, those two things may be related!

#22318 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I love the depth of AIQ and I seem like the minority on that. Although I get why people don't like that game for how relatively poor the audio and LCD screen is on that... Rules wise I love it and thinks it offers a lot of variability.
I don't know what it is about Jurassic Park that hasn't clicked for me. I generally know what I'm doing and it's pretty good, just don't love it like I thought I would have. I still think it's fairly linear even with all that's been said. Maybe if the map/dinos/awards were a bit more random each play through. I love how AIQ randomizes the grid awards.

Fair! I have zero games on AIQ. From the second I saw the reveal trailer I was worried about the voice assets for that game....

#22443 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Legally Bob isn't required to pay them out of his pocket, so it could be that.
Legally, Bob can't rob a cash advance store and pay them, so it could be that.
Legally, it could be a lot of things.

HOW could a company with a million or so in burn rate a month, and years of those months adding up, with no revenue, ever run out of money? Its like the world does not make any sense any more...

#22768 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

You’re already too late, but I am taking additional orders for any extra units I produce for a modestly higher price (until I realize I can’t make any more past the initial)

When do you realize you can't even make more than a ragged prototype?

1 week later
#24727 2 years ago

One of the biggest surprises over the last few weeks was not that DR ended up being a massive failure, but that greatwhichjohn would emerge at the last minute and take the lead of being the biggest troll in this thread!

Truly, a massive upset in this multi-year race.

1 month later
#26441 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

"well you see your honor, I kept getting checks and my starbucks app refilled with money, so I kept sketching new pinball layouts. I had no idea Robert was stealing that money. I once stole a million dollars in pre-order money, but I had no idea you could steal 60 million. Robert is my idol."
[quoted image]

Bravo. I think you win today! The last few lines were perfect!

1 month later
#27365 2 years ago

The "deeproot Growth Runs Deep Fund" has to be one of the most awful sounding names for an investment fund I have heard.

What do they invest in? Uh.... deep Deep Growth?

1 week later
#27485 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

From his 2015 prospectus, he was hoping like 5k Magic Girls and I wanna say 2k ish for RAZA and AIW each.
I tossed that pitch deck (kept the notebook and pen though) so that's from memory. But yeah. Eye-watertingly high goals, pulled from his ass not even having played the games (pre-Pintasia) He only cares about art.
One of the many reasons Spooky told him to pound sand. Told Charlie "he will never sell this many full tilt Jpop games and we will get blamed when it fails"

Wait, did RM say Spooky would get blamed when DR fails? That is not an angle I had considered. Maybe this IS all Spooky's fault after all... 10D chess... maybe Stern is next on Charlie's hit list?

1 week later
#27690 2 years ago

We need to see the goods; no offence to the seller, but interest in these could go way up if they have the DR logo on them

#27745 2 years ago

Yes it is basically a meme at this point. There is a cadre of pinball folk who sit there decrying the lack of original themes.

Then an original theme comes out once in a blue moon and they often cry "I don't know what this is about, this is is stupid, the guy is wearing the wrong pants etc..."

So for some reason "Marvel Pin #12" or "Old Man Band Pin #15" gets made. Because they sell!

#27751 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I agree that we've just been unlucky with original themes. TNA is awesome and sold very well, all things considered. I think a space theme would do very well, but yeah, it would need to be a good game. I'd love to see Keith do one to see if the profit ratio would be different.

The profit ratio would be different in that it would be worse than his other games... barring some once in a generation lightning in a bottle sort of situation.

Saying the "art, sound, layout, rules" has to be perfect for it to sell says enough. The only thing for sure is people would not agree on what is good here.

See "Dialed In's theme is the worst ever" vs. "It is a great homage to prior games". The art on Dialed In is fine/great (ACDC / Iron Man are examples of state of the art "art" from around 10 years ago...). But "he is wearing the wrong jeans", I know the game sucks even before giving it a chance because he is wearing the wrong jeans".

Why would you risk your company trying to launch a one in million game, vs. just rehashing a theme people are fighting each other for LE spots for sight unseen? It literally makes so little sense it boggles my mind how often this comes up.

I wonder if car forums are full of people saying "why don't the big auto makers sell 3 wheeled cars?". With the perfect stability control, styling and packaging the would sell some!". And I am excited about some 3 wheeled cars (see the new Aptera) but I am not sitting there dumbfounded GM is not hopping on board the 3 wheeled "trend" at this point... "if they really wanted to beat Toyota they would for sure start selling models almost nobody wants". If that sounds absurd it is because it is.

#27765 2 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Didn't Legends of Valhalla (an original theme) just sell out their 500 LEs super fast?

Quoted from brucipher:

Didn't Legends of Valhalla (an original theme) just sell out their 500 LEs super fast?

I don't think 500 machines is considered a home run by any of the major manufacturers. Heck even for a spooky game at this point it would be disappointing.

2 months later
#29492 2 years ago
Quoted from Inside:

Who the hell is bidding $305+18% =$360 + 8.25% tax on a large white erase board?
They're $350 brand new: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/96w-40h-mobile-reversible-magnetic-whiteboard

But that white board comes pre-printed trade secrets!

If I had the money and inclination, I would just sweep this auction and sell all the stuff as props to the inevitable streaming series on this. Actually having all the garbage from the actual DR place would add to "authenticity" and should be cheaper than having to go get props for everything

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BC_Gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution?tu=BC_Gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.