Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 672.
#4751 4 years ago

I seen Deeproot had several new posts, and I was hell yeah, must be some new news. Then I click and read all about dimples.

Quoted from dnaman:

no dimpling?

Quoted from Richthofen:

Every playfield dimples

Quoted from EricHadley:

My TSPP, no dimples, my Tron LE, no dimples.

Quoted from dnaman:

Those that say the dimples just flatten out the playfield perfectly is full of BS.

Quoted from CLEllison:

Dimples are NOT normal.

LOL the deeproot thread is the new dimple tread!

#4752 4 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Not this again. Every playfield dimples. Steel balls are harder than a wooden playfield.

As with hardness testing of materials in engineering, it is the Size of the dimple that is important. There will always be "dimples", but a very broad range of severity.

The biggest one I measured on my ACDC when I still had it was very close to 5mm, and I don't care what anyone thinks, that is Not acceptable nor is it "normal" (except for some modern and Stern) . A joke, is what it is.

Nothing over about 2mm, as you find on older games, yeah that is normal. Steve... you, of all people, should know better than to call Massive dimpling "normal".

#4753 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I seen Deeproot had several new posts, and I was hell yeah, must be some new news. Then I click and read all about dimples.

Good point. Went back to delete my O/T post.

#4754 4 years ago

It is entirely relevant to the direction of thread discussion: DR playfields; what to expect, what is their manufacturing process? (Skip back and see for yourself)

#4755 4 years ago

I once had an app when the iPhone was still new, that was called pimple popper

So satisfying!!!

#4756 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I once had an app when the iPhone was still new, that was called pimple popper
So satisfying!!!

Are we trying to gross each other out now? There‘s an article in Huffington Post today „if your poop looks like this, you should probably see a doctor“

#4757 4 years ago

....but they still haven't asked for money....
....it was time...

#4758 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

You apparently haven't owned or are familiar with a playfield cleared by Kruzman. Dimples are NOT normal.

Never seen a dimple on a Kruzman field.

#4759 4 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Never seen a dimple on a Kruzman field.

Buh buh buh BINGO! kruzman

#4760 4 years ago

Somebody said this thread was a good place to discuss dimple issues. As a side note, has anybody tried to return parts to Marcos after 3 years?

#4761 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Are we trying to gross each other out now? There‘s an article in Huffington Post today „if your poop looks like this, you should probably see a doctor“

No I just thought of pimple reading dimple.

#4762 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

You apparently haven't owned or are familiar with a playfield cleared by Kruzman. Dimples are NOT normal.
And for the other folks saying Robert should keep quiet - I do absolutely 100% fully disagree. I think he should be giving updates. Who cares if he misses so called dead lines. Being up front and honest about progress "or lack thereof" makes no difference to those who are reasonable. He's human and some things are just out of anyone's control. Honesty and sincerity will bring the people. However making a product, charging an arm and leg for it and have it falling a part and not owning it and fixing it will drive the masses away. Still rooting for AIW.

Yea, because missing deadlines and being dishonest havent been a roadmap for 3 companies crashing and burning(customers $$$ in the past 10 years) , but doesnt matter to reasonable people?

#4763 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yea, because missing deadlines and being dishonest havent been a roadmap for 3 companies crashing and burning(customers $$$ in the past 10 years) , but doesnt matter to reasonable people?

So giving back the money to those who requested it isn't enough? He didn't have to do it but he did and you still want to ride his ass? I'l assume you have no dog in this fight?

#4764 4 years ago

Hey gang, to be fair - I have never seen a dimple on a Deep Root playfield either!

#4765 4 years ago

Too also be fair, I’ve been told Deeproot will take back any pinball machines and parts issued 3 years ago

#4766 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Deeproot's silly announcements and blown deadlines don't bother me -- and I suspect many other people -- because deeproot, at least so far, isn't taking preorder money. How they spend their investors' money is between them and their investors. And if they lose some sales thanks to a series of premature announcements, they've failed to lean anything from JJP but it's still not my problem. Most of us will happily take a look at what they've got if and when they get a game to market.

#4767 4 years ago

Did anybody ever notice Sledge's dimples?

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg
#4768 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Seems to be luck of the draw on wood hardness.

Vid, please come back!!!

#4769 4 years ago

I bought my TSPP NIB and played it nonstop. When I sold it earlier this year, the playfield looked perfect. Not one dimple.

On the other hand my BM66 was a dimple fest to the point that even my non pinhead friends commented about it.

As much as I love Steve Ritchie, the video of him in sunglasses telling everyone they're overreacting was disappointing.

Back to Deeproot tal......never mind.

#4770 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I bought my TSPP NIB and played it nonstop. When I sold it earlier this year, the playfield looked perfect. Not one dimple.
On the other hand my BM66 was a dimple fest to the point that even my non pinhead friends commented about it.
As much as I love Steve Ritchie, the video of him in sunglasses telling everyone they're overreacting was disappointing.
Back to Deeproot tal......never mind.

I also bought TSPP NIB and it never had a dimple or any other issues with the playfield when I owned it. My NIB TWD premium playfield looks like the surface of the moon.

#4771 4 years ago

Neither of my Twilight Zones ever had any dimples nor did my Scared Stiff.... but ain't got crap to do with Deeproot.

#4772 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I also bought TSPP NIB and it never had a dimple or any other issues with the playfield when I owned it. My NIB TWD premium playfield looks like the surface of the moon.

Yes, I think those of us that don't wear the NIB or fanboy goggles have figured out this whole "all playfields will extremely dimple and smooth out with time" is a total crock of shit.

#4773 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Neither of my Twilight Zones ever had any dimples nor did my Scared Stiff.... but ain't got crap to do with Deeproot.

Sand it with 2000 grit paper and a block... you’ll see it’s probably not as flat as you think... (bring back to gloss with compound then polishes)

Old games seem to dent in big shallow depressions or very shallow spots. The modern games instead seems to make the more visible pits that eventually look like orange peel.

I think the new pfs dent deeper easier... and the high gloss makes it more visible.

Look at these tz photos... see all the black dots and changes in gloss when you zoom in? Those are low points in the sanding...aka divots.
C8C1B64F-EFDD-4B55-8DDF-CA5C224DEC94.jpegC8C1B64F-EFDD-4B55-8DDF-CA5C224DEC94.jpeg9F820A6A-6CD0-48CC-A5CA-36E49C9D4D12.jpeg9F820A6A-6CD0-48CC-A5CA-36E49C9D4D12.jpeg

Now look at it after polished... the surface imperfections are more noticeable as divots in the light reflection then they were when the pf was dull
23C13EEC-30E0-49FF-AE22-ABEE495AAE2A.jpeg23C13EEC-30E0-49FF-AE22-ABEE495AAE2A.jpeg

#4774 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

So giving back the money to those who requested it isn't enough? He didn't have to do it but he did and you still want to ride his ass? I'l assume you have no dog in this fight?

What fight? DR has no product to fight over lol. What they do have is the same dishonesty , bluster and promises that exposed and doomed 3 other companies to failure. Deny it at your own peril.

#4775 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Deeproot's silly announcements and blown deadlines don't bother me -- and I suspect many other people -- because deeproot, at least so far, isn't taking preorder money. How they spend their investors' money is between them and their investors. And if they lose some sales thanks to a series of premature announcements, they've failed to lean anything from JJP but it's still not my problem. Most of us will happily take a look at what they've got if and when they get a game to market.

As will I. Its just the fact some posters are so confident, they ignore history.

#4776 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Look at these tz photos... see all the black dots and changes in gloss when you zoom in? Those are low points in the sanding...aka divots.

Is that a repro or did you get that from vid's collection? He must have bought all the seconds and rejects back in the day. But hey, if the price is right...

#4777 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Look at these tz photos... see all the black dots and changes in gloss when you zoom in? Those are low points in the sanding...aka divots

I'd call up Bally and get my money back.

#4778 4 years ago

2019-09-04 22_34_09-Facebook - Internet Explorer (resized).png2019-09-04 22_34_09-Facebook - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#4779 4 years ago

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#4780 4 years ago

. . .and all of these decades I thought that Mars was called the red planet because of its appearance as opposed to the hair color of its female population. My 6th grade science teacher is going to have hell to pay.

#4781 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Is that a repro or did you get that from vid's collection? He must have bought all the seconds and rejects back in the day. But hey, if the price is right...

:p

my game from the 90s which I had fully broken down 2 years ago.

#4782 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

After I looked a little closer a lot of what I saw was actually part of the artwork.

On BM66 it makes it so you can't see the artwork.

#4783 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You got one with bad wood. I’ve never seen a TZ look as bad as yours. I did the same thing with mine and buffed it to a fine shine with Novus 2 and 1 and there were no dimples on it at all. Certainly some of those old Bally/Williams playfields had dimpling, but relatively few and the dimpling usually wasn’t too bad.

#4784 4 years ago

I think this game is going to look great.

However, if it isn't coded well, then who cares?

Deeproot haven't got a Lyman or Elwin so wonder who is doing the rules?

#4785 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Deeproot haven't got a Lyman or Elwin so wonder who is doing the rules?

I believe Steve Bowden is a rules lead at Deeproot, and he is as capable in that role as anyone.

#4786 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Quoted from vicjw66:

Interesting how during the lean years, they were able to put out a better product than now during this boom. Perhaps they had to to stay alive.

And I'm wondering when deeproot is going to show some art beyond these sketches that will actually sell pinball games.

#4787 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Interesting how during the lean years, they were able to put out a better product than now during this boom. Perhaps they had to to stay alive.
And I'm wondering when deeproot is going to show some art beyond these sketches that will actually sell pinball games.

November 15th would be a guess

#4788 4 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

November 15th would be a guess

Hopefully these sketches are just for some comic book and won't appear on expensive pinball machines.

#4789 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

You got one with bad wood. I’ve never seen a TZ look as bad as yours. I did the same thing with mine and buffed it to a fine shine with Novus 2 and 1 and there were no dimples on it at all. Certainly some of those old Bally/Williams playfields had dimpling, but relatively few and the dimpling usually wasn’t too bad.

The point was what people think they see... isn't always what they think it is. The PF didn't look dimpled at all before refinishing the surface. It's only when sanding it were the actual individual ball impressions made visible. The idea of 'the entire PF gets beat down' I don't subscribe to, but sanding shows how the PF is not perfectly flat and you likely have a lot more shallow marks all over.

When you look at the PF before.. it looks dirty and dull, but nothing jumps out as 'DIMPLES!'
IMG_3632.JPGIMG_3632.JPG

But when you get just the right reflections... you an pickout the surface isn't really perfectly flat
IMG_3635.JPGIMG_3635.JPG

And when you compare against more virgin areas.. you can see just how much abuse the topcoat really had taken (look at the mini-flipper area near the orange/yellow lines)
IMG_3637.JPGIMG_3637.JPG

When the PF is glossy and otherwise flat on a new pf... the individual ball marks stick out like a sore thumb.

#4790 4 years ago

I just want to chime in and ask where the f@ck where you guys hiding when I was fighting this dimple battle in the other threads? Well better late than never...pfft

#4791 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I just want to chime in and ask where the f@ck where you guys hiding when I was fighting this dimple battle in the other threads? Well better late than never...pfft

You know I was with you there brother! Back then it was a little tough to out spam the "voice of reason".

#4792 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You know I was with you there brother! Back then it was a little tough to out spam the "voice of reason".

Don't sell yourself short, buddy, you can out-spam just about anyone when you put your mind to it!

#4793 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I made a couple posts but got hammered. Pinside crowd seems to think that you were born the day you joined pinside and having 1y next to your name means you are stupid so it wasn't worth my time.

#4794 4 years ago

I wonder how many of those that vocally denied playfield cratering was a problem, which to me was fair warning, are now stuck with blistering and chipping playfields and are bitching about that. Serves em right!

#4795 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Its very clear you were not properly arguing your dimple issues in the correct thread like this Deeproot one. #Dimpleroot

#4796 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Its very clear you were not properly arguing your dimple issues in the correct thread like this Deeproot one.

Can't say I didn't try.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-discusses-pinball-playfield-dimpling/page/14#post-4382958

#4797 4 years ago

Being the voice of reason, when it comes to dimpling EVERYONE is actually right. If all you've ever owned are games that end up with dimpling you're opinion is right. For instance 3 of my 4 pins are dimple free. One isnt. Oddly enough the one that looks like a damn golf ball surface is The Hobbit. The newest and played the least out of all of em and looks like hammered dog shit. However the one with a Kruzman cleared is proof that dimpleless non pooling playfields are still doable today.
Dont judge the "dimple is normal" crowd too harshly. They just dont know any better.

Anyway to be relevant to the thread DR can't wait to see AIW! I WANT AN UPDATE!

#4798 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The point was what people think they see... isn't always what they think it is. The PF didn't look dimpled at all before refinishing the surface.

Now sure why you would say that. The dimpling is clear as day in all the photos. But, that's what I call reasonable and expected dimpling.

It's been shown scientifically, with a wood hardness tester, that the playfields that "crater" are softer than those that "dimple." It's not rocket science here. But, people dismiss the facts because it doesn't fit their narrative that steel is harder than wood, thus the "craters" are normal rubbish perpetuated by many.

#4799 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Neither of my Twilight Zones ever had any dimples....

Or maybe it was after Neo worked on it? I can't remember... (:

DSC_0006 (resized).jpgDSC_0006 (resized).jpg

#4800 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

steel is harder than wood

Surprised with all the pinballs I've dropped, they don't put a dent in my oak hardwood floor. Or how, although not steel, a 100 MPH fastball won't dent a wooden bat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/96?hl=gunsnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.