• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 669.
#4151 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

If your're going to post something divisive, it shout at least be funny.

Divisive? Really? If you choose that this is divisive that's your problem...

#4152 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Final update from me regarding who we can and cannot mock. I/we will not be given a list of those considered untouchable and of such elevated status/celebrity, they are above reproach by us commoners. Given my previous lack respect for those of elevated status/celebrity, I suspect I will be reported at some point in the future.

Lets see some pins deeproot!!

#4153 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Final update from me regarding who we can and cannot mock. I/we will not be given a list of those considered untouchable and of such elevated status/celebrity, they are above reproach by us commoners. Given my previous lack respect for those of elevated status/celebrity, I suspect I will be reported at some point in the future.
Lets see some pins deeproot!!

Oh get bent. You know it's political. Not everyone thinks the guy is a clown because he was willing to give up his career to point out that some cops are fucking assholes.

It's a political joke that even Jay Leno would call lame. It added nothing to the conversation. No one is really offended but you. You're the one who wants to complain about some downvotes because people don't laugh at the same 8 year old level comedy.

#4154 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I can’t imagine backing out now unless it’s a cash needed situation.

I'd take whatever I could get right now and get out. I haven't seen anything that would make me confident in ever receiving a pin. But then I've always been one to cut my losses and I would probably never get involved with a startup in the first place.

#4155 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Not everyone thinks the guy is a clown because he was willing to give up his career to point out that some cops are fucking assholes.

Get this bullshit out of here! .. let’s get back to pinball, anyone have any thoughts on Octo-manufacturing?

#4156 4 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

he was willing to give up his career to point out that some cops are fucking assholes.

I disagree with this, hence the downvote. I believe his career was in the shitter regardless of his political views. He didn't 'give it up' because of his cause.

...but sure, let's get back to the absence of DeepRoot updates.

#4157 4 years ago

I always think of octomom when i hear octo manufacturing lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/15/style/octomom-kids-2018.html

#4158 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

anyone have any thoughts on Octo-manufacturing?

Oktoberfest manufacturing is going great, thanks for asking!

#4159 4 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I don't choose anything, just pointing out the obvious. It sounds like it's your problem the way you're melting over all this. You have proven that snowflakes are not politically affiliated to one side. Relax, and let's get back to whatever this thread is supposed to be about.

#4160 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I haven't seen anything that would make me confident in ever receiving a pin.

I initially had Jpop ONLY. Why in the hell did I think that would work out is another story.
When I now look at the Deep Root team that has been assembled, I think that if this is a total disaster there will be a lot of mud on the faces.

#4161 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I initially had Jpop ONLY. Why in the hell did I think that would work out is another story.
When I now look at the Deep Root team that has been assembled, I think that if this is a total disaster there will be a lot of mud on the faces.

History isnt on your side, but I wish you luck. It sounds like DR has a talented team from what I've been reading and some deep pockets too. I think most of us on this forum are very interested in seeing what they've come up with.

#4162 4 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I think most of us on this forum are very interested in seeing what they've come up with.

"Magic Girl Home Edition"

#4163 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

This forum would implode.

#4164 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

You went from no hope, to some pretty good hope. If all things were equal, I'd be right there with you.
I like your chances.

#4165 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I thought it already was, just a very very expensive and basic box of lights!

#4166 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

a list of those considered untouchable and of such elevated status/celebrity, they are above reproach by us commoners. Given my previous lack respect for those of elevated status/celebrity,

how about starting your own list?

untouchables03 (resized).jpguntouchables03 (resized).jpg
#4167 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I can’t imagine backing out now unless it’s a cash needed situation.

A number of pundits are predicting interest rates being cut to 0% early next year and then full blown recession by this time next year in the US. If that holds true, are you really expecting to be receiving anything?

If it's more than a blip, it's odds against most of these new entities surviving.

#4171 4 years ago

An update would be fantastic actually. I'd sure have to speculate that there are more pro DR folks than anti. I think the silence speaks more volume than the few words and certainly doesn't help their cause. I'm itching to buy an AIW - but the money is burning a hole in my pocket and I need to unload soon.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#4173 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I thought it already was, just a very very expensive and basic box of lights!

Featurewise yes,... pricewise... uh.

#4184 4 years ago

Good evening. Next person who continues the political discussion in any way will be ejected from the thread. Stop snipping at each other, both sides...thank you.

#4185 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Good evening. Next person who continues the political discussion in any way will be ejected from the thread. Stop snipping at each other, both sides...thank you.

Does that mean we have to get back to talking about Deep Root? Awe right!

#4186 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think Deeproot should be ejected. I mean, if they weren’t so late with their games, we wouldn’t bring up so many off topic subjects.

#4187 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I think Deeproot should be ejected. I mean, if they weren’t so late with their games, we wouldn’t bring up so many off topic subjects.

Couple of others bet them on the ejection list.
You can tell. Iiii

#4188 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Whom?!

What about cooking recipes?

#4189 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Couple of others bet them on the ejection list.

toteboard03 (resized).jpgtoteboard03 (resized).jpg
#4190 4 years ago

Here's a deeproot topic:

Some pin friends and I were discussing that the only plausible explanation for the number of games under development there is some sort of modular swap system. Otherwise the cash being spent is being wasted. Discuss.

#4191 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's a deeproot topic:
Some pin friends and I were discussing that the only plausible explanation for the number of games under development there is some sort of modular swap system. Otherwise the cash being spent is being wasted. Discuss.

The patent may be a clue on that. I cannot fathom what they are up to.

#4192 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's a deeproot topic:

If that were to be the case, what would that mean for people who didnt cash out in this settlement?

I havent followed it too closely, were they promised two games down the line? Could that mean one cabinet, and two playfields?

#4193 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's a deeproot topic:

I hope this means it will be easy to remove and clean the playfield, just like on the P3 system.

#4194 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here's a deeproot topic:

If they believe they are launching some kind of entirely new 'must have' home entertainment product like the Atari 2600, their approach makes more sense.

But if this is some kind of new home entertainment system and not a high-end niche product, I wonder at the cost. It can't be priced so low as to compete with a video game console. And sure people routinely drop $3k on a gaming PC, and more to add VR gear, but that is an enormously flexible device with a vast industry supporting it.

If they are 'only' a pinball company their approach feels dangerously watered down in a Star Citizen kind of way.

The video game development field is piled high with the carcasses of game studios infused with a lot of cash that bring on talented artists and crash and burn a couple years later. I have worked with people who have experienced this first hand, and done work for with companies that have taken this approach and augured in leaving nothing behind but some articles and a smoking crater.

tl;dr: having talented people is merely one of many requirements; it is by no means a guarantee of success in the entertainment industry.

Speaking broadly about interchangable playfields, as an operator, I don't want to store playfields that sit around and don't earn, no matter how easy they are to swap, and I don't want to pay a premium for the extra hardware/engineering required to have swap-out capability that I will never use. When it comes time to sell a machine, with a swap-out system I can only sell to those with the proprietary swap system, vastly reducing the available market.

#4195 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Speaking broadly about interchangable playfields, as an operator, I don't want to store playfields that sit around and don't earn, no matter how easy they are to swap, and I don't want to pay a premium for the extra hardware/engineering required to have swap-out capability that I will never use. When it comes time to sell a machine, with a swap-out system I can only sell to those with the proprietary swap system, vastly reducing the available market.

Maybe it's different with pinball because the most expensive part is the playfield. But in the early 80s with the invent of the Jamma connector, video game operators were gutting any cabinet they could find to put in the next pcb to earn again, often re-using the same buttons/joystick. This was especially true in the late 80s when fighting games brought back the interest to arcades and they were coming out so fast with street fighter and mortal kombat. It's why you now see so many retro arcades with the wrong cabinets and control panels. I don't know the history of Stern / JJP / American Pinball is, but it would sure be nice if the harness connectors were standardized to be the same (like a JAMMA). Don't use all the pins? fine, don't use them. I mean how much more could it really cost to have longer connectors/headers? Not necessarily to say swap playfields, but maybe troubleshoot boards. Game having boot issues, swap the playfield into another cabinet. Not saying play it (though if it were the same board set I suppose you could swap out the code). Just saying it could help figure out if it's the board or something on the playfield. I don't know how many times I've lucked out I had a similiar system Williams game and I could simply pull a cpu, driver board, or power supply from another game to see which board is having the issue.

Wasn't it Heighway that not only had swappable playfields, but the flipper mechs could be pulled off in a matter of a minute because there were flipper holes in the playfield so you didn't have to loosen the bat screw? Guess it depends on the operator, some don't mind working on games right there but in a crowded dark bar I would imagine that could be frustrating, and simply swapping in a new mech would be easier (and you could rebuild it later in a well lit workshop).

#4196 4 years ago

Modular is the key on so many levels. IIRC there"s an Italian pin company that made their games modular so operators could literally go onsite, unplug and drop a complete mech and replace with a complete mech. Sling shots, pop bumpers etc. No longer spending hours ... just freaking brilliant. Playfield swap times severely decreased as well. VERY cool.
Now if DR has a "brain" that runs every single game with a simple change of a USB stick/sd card/ssd ... and swap the playfield out by removing a couple plugs .... THAT would also be huge for operators. No more lugging games around from location to location. Install a kit and done. DR could potentially cripple the SHIT out of Stern or JJP if they used this and of course the games were actually good. Who in their right mind wouldn't spend ~$3000 for a kit that gave you a whole new game?

#4197 4 years ago

Wasn’t this concept Pinball 2000? Was JPOP involved with P2K?

#4198 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Wasn’t this concept Pinball 2000? Was JPOP involved with P2K?

Some what but not the modular mechs. IIRC the Star Wars release did so horribly and was their demise so in essence RFM release couldnt save them. William's never got the chance to prove/disprove the kit route is the way to go.

#4199 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Modular is the key on so many levels. IIRC there"s an Italian pin company that made their games modular so operators could literally go onsite, unplug and drop a complete mech and replace with a complete mech. Sling shots, pop bumpers etc. No longer spending hours ... just freaking brilliant. Playfield swap times severely decreased as well. VERY cool.

And it was a huge success and this Italian company is now a household name that dominates the pinball industry!

#4200 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

the Star Wars release did so horribly and was their demise so in essence RFM release couldnt save them

Neither title did "bad", they just didn't do "enough" for WMS to justify keeping the pinball division open because slots were more profitable. Just look at the end of williams:

4,414 - 3-97 NBA fastbreak
4,016 - 6-97 Medieval madness
2,704 - 10-97 Cirqus voltaire
2,711 - 12-97 no good gofers
1,369 - 04-98 - champion pub
3,361 - 07-98 monster bash
903 - 10-98 cactus canyon (don't know if this counts, they cut this off the line early to make production space for Pin2k)
3,525 - 06-99 star wars episode 1
6,878 - 01-99 Revenge from mars

RFM sold more units than the original attack from mars. It sold more than any WPC-95 game. I think think there were 2 things holding back Pinball2000:
1. The monitors made them heavy as hell
2. The dark glass needed to make the holograms show up made everything on the playfield dark.. it was also special glass that had to be ordered.

A modern modular hologram pinball today would probably do pretty good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.