Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 672.
#351 6 years ago

Everything in moderation....

#352 6 years ago

American Pinball has recently become aware of statements made by DeeprootTech in an interview. Deeproot's statements misrepresent the situation and in particular the status of any rights of John Popadiuk relative to his work on the first Houdini™ pinball machine concept. In brief, only API has the rights to market or produce a Houdini™ pinball machine.

#353 6 years ago
Quoted from AmericanPinball:

American Pinball has recently become aware of statements made by DeeprootTech in an interview. Deeproot's statements misrepresent the situation and in particular the status of any rights of John Popadiuk relative to his work on the first Houdini™ pinball machine concept. In brief, only API has the rights to market or produce a Houdini™ pinball machine.

dun, Dun, DUN...the plot thickens.

#354 6 years ago

That's cool. They've abandoned their "we'll make a Houdini policy" but glad to see they are standing firm on the "no whitewood or test machine" policy.

You gotta have principles!

#355 6 years ago

In brief, only API has the rights to market or produce a Houdini™ pinball machine.

#356 6 years ago

nevermind, dumb laws

#357 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Anybody could make a Houdini pinball machine

Try it.....

#359 6 years ago

It is like trademarking Alice in Wonderland. It should be public domain.

#360 6 years ago

I don't see why somebody couldn't make a Larry Houdini as long as they got the OK from Disney first.

tumblr_inline_mvmxwcbsds1qiql2z (resized).pngtumblr_inline_mvmxwcbsds1qiql2z (resized).png

#361 6 years ago

In brief, only API has the rights to market or produce a Houdini™ pinball machine.

So you are saying this is not true?

#362 6 years ago

Nice, I thought anyone could make one as well but obviously I was wrong. Good for API.

#363 6 years ago

JPop's cancer spreads wherever he goes.

Also, why is Jpop's attorney representing American Pinball when he was representing Zidware and now JPop is at Deeproot? It seems like conflicts of interest doesn't it?

#364 6 years ago

Just rename it The Illusionist

#365 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

And compromise the true creative vision of the genius?!?!?!

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Or just simply "Popadiuk" He's a legend in his own mind and a master at making money disappear

#367 6 years ago

I say a david blaine parody pinball #cheezits

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

glad to see they are standing firm on the "no whitewood or test machine" policy.

Is it plausible that deeproot has a bunch of jpop pinball dioramas (ala Houdini), and just as American Pinball were led to believe they had a "nearly done" Houdini that they started showing and creating sales flyers for, the reality is jpop is awesome at dioramas and convincing people they are completed games (not needing whitewoods or test machines)?

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is it plausible that deeproot has a bunch of jpop pinball dioramas (ala Houdini), and just as American Pinball were led to believe they had a "nearly done" Houdini that they started showing and creating sales flyers for, the reality is jpop is awesome at dioramas and convincing people they are completed games (not needing whitewoods or test machines)?

I'll admit I thought his StyroKISS was very cool.

I almost sent him $15,000 right then and there.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I almost sent him $15,000 right then and there.

That's why they call you CRAZYLevi

#371 6 years ago

When I read the most recent Deeproot interview, I took it more as they would develop a machine based on Jpop's previous Houdini design (but not necessarily call it Houdini).

They specifically said they are happy to add John's Houdini design to its portfolio of games. That doesn't mean they were planning to make Houdini.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

They specifically said they are happy to add John's Houdini design to its portfolio of games. That doesn't mean they were planning to make Houdini.

Does this mean we may finally be getting that Marshall Brodien pinball machine?

61rsGsPYE0L._SL1001_ (resized).jpg61rsGsPYE0L._SL1001_ (resized).jpg

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Does this mean we may finally be getting that Marshall Brodien pinball machine?

God willing!!

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

When I read the most recent Deeproot interview, I took it more as they would develop a machine based on Jpop's previous Houdini design (but not necessarily call it Houdini).

John has wanted to do a Copperfield for years. Don't be surprised if his Houdini is repurposed. Not hard to come up with another magic theme.

#375 6 years ago

Here's the post from Zombie Yeti about Copperfield, from the other jpop thread:

Screen Shot 2018-01-31 at 4.54.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-31 at 4.54.47 PM (resized).png

#376 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

John has wanted to do a Copperfield for years. Don't be surprised if his Houdini is repurposed. Not hard to come up with another magic theme.

That’s what ToM is (er, was). Getting a Copperfield license may be a bit creepy now that he’s apparently been outed as a pedo rapist

#377 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Getting a Copperfield license may be a bit creepy now that he’s apparently been outed as a pedo rapist

Creepy, for sure, but on the bright side the Copperfield license should also be considerably cheaper now. Remember, these guys hired JPop, so they're clearly not deterred by the potential for a bit of bad press.

Plus, there's great synergy with George H.W. Bush's recently revealed pickup line: "'David Cop-a-feel is my favorite magician."

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

he’s apparently been outed as a pedo rapist

He's had unsubstantiated allegations against him. One of his accusers has been charged with making false claims against another man. http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/01/26/copperfield.accuser/index.html

#379 6 years ago

Our only response to AP's post is that their statements are not true, they contradict their attorney's private statements, they contradict the contract they voluntarily drafted and entered into with John, and (as to the trademark) appear to contradict federal law. We are proceeding with John's original Houdini design but not the Houdini name; which is consistent with our prior statement.

-dP

#380 6 years ago

And people give me a funny look when I say pinball is the most drama filled hobby I've ever run across.

#381 6 years ago

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#382 6 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

Our only response to AP's post is that their statements are not true, they contradict their attorney's private statements, they contradict the contract they voluntarily drafted and entered into with John, and (as to the trademark) appear to contradict federal law. We are proceeding with John's original Houdini design but not the Houdini name; which is consistent with our prior statement.
-dP

No one cares about this, what we really want to know is how much more purple will be added to the design?

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

We are proceeding with John's original Houdini design but not the Houdini name
-dP

so ball paths that go to nowhere then?

#384 6 years ago

I've got your magician right here, can't lose with this guy. Hell, he even likes big shiny silver balls.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#385 6 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

-dP

Cool?!? I'm dying to see what the target switch on the side of the shooter lane is for.

Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

I've got your magician right here, can't lose with this guy. Hell, he even likes big shiny silver balls.

Reminds me of this:

#386 6 years ago

My opinion on the whole Deeproot thing is, that they are just a bunch of idiots, doing nothing with passion for the pinball world.

If you engage in something with jpop you are just stupid or you want to get money the way patent trolls do. Also that Robert seems like an arrogant sob with little to no knowledge of the pinball world.

I sincerely hope that for once the pinball community is using their brain and never buy anything new that is even remotely related to Jpop. Do not reward that guy for everything he did and do not reward the company that pays him.

People that know me know that I am never very negative, even positive regarding all new pinball, but this just is too much. Media should also stop giving them a stage. Nothing positive is coming from that. Pinball should be exciting and fun. Deeproot to me is irritating and frustrating.

#387 6 years ago

My wife was once hit on by David Copperfield a few years before I met her. Fortunately, she was not interested in him.

Copperfield has had various allegations against him by women. There is enough smoke there that a huge creepy vibe comes off.

#388 6 years ago

I once dated a magician. As we were driving, she put her hand on my leg and I turned into a motel.

#389 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Any Arrested Development fans out there? I couldn't help but to think of this when I was reading.

Haha, this reminds me of my old shirt...

ILLUSIONS.jpgILLUSIONS.jpg

#390 6 years ago

I must have a magician pinball machine!

lidsville (resized).jpglidsville (resized).jpg

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Media should also stop giving them a stage. Nothing positive is coming from that.

I read both articles (and this thread) solely for the entertainment value.

I’m looking forward to the next interview and hope people ask hard questions (and document answers) at any shows Deep Root attends. Hopefully it won’t be long until the “5 Days of Laughter.”

Deep Root / Robert Mueller is already on record with statements that other parties have subsequently stated are misrepresentations or untrue. Lots of apparent “puffery” in the things he’s said that haven’t been contradicted yet.

I’d love to ask if they are going to incorporate JPOP’s famed “real quickstep solenoids” and other made up words just to see if his image is so important to him that he goes along with it instead of saying he is unfamiliar with those terms or technologies.

#392 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

He's had unsubstantiated allegations against him. One of his accusers has been charged with making false claims against another man. http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/01/26/copperfield.accuser/index.html

That’s a different person

#393 6 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

-dP

Box of lights: 10k by Christmas!!

#394 6 years ago

A reminder of what JPs Houndi looked like at expo 2016 -

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

ToM is all right!

WCS is the only thing that’s worth a damn and heard he needed a team of people to make that even work.

#396 6 years ago

Isn't it kind of pathetic that DP is using the Jpop Houdini layout and re-theming it? What a F ing joke that is.

I'm sure Jpop the genius already has a few dozen other layouts in the pipeline. Use those.

Stick to trying to make MG, RAZA and AIW work first and let Nordman and Ousler do their thing.

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

A reminder of what JPs Houndi looked like at expo 2016 -
» YouTube video

It's coming back to me.. Left loopback ramp that goes to nowhere, houdini tank that blocked the LCD screen (just like magic girl), and the panhead screws used to fasten down the ramp instead of flatheads (so the ball would bounce). I don't care if it was a rushed prototype, you can buy flathead screws at home depot. Also no spring steel ramp flaps (also easily fabricated if you're even remedially crafty).

HOUDINI_EXPO (resized).jpgHOUDINI_EXPO (resized).jpg

#398 6 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

-dP

Don't mind us, by all means, keep fighting in the forums.

#399 6 years ago

This is quickly becoming my new favorite thread.

#400 6 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

We are proceeding with John's original Houdini design but not the Houdini name

No worries....ya still got "Sexy Copperfield"!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.