pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 2.00.36?PM (resized).png
IMG_0119 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 3.49.27?PM (resized).png
IMG_5406 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

370 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,685 posts in this topic. You are on page 671 of 674.
#33501 3 months ago
Quoted from jamesmc:

This federal district in Texas has had 2 different US Attorneys who haven't indicted him criminally. Only logical reason to me that he hasn't been criminally indicted would be the SEC is funded separately than DOJ. This district seems content to let the SEC do all the legwork and wait. They will be able to use the same prosecutor. This district seems beyond lazy to indict until after this Civil case. Its ridiculous. Or just a money issue. It's quite possible to me that this district is OK with these timelines.
I was talking about this case to an attorney here after the SEC filed. Like a couple years ago. He was absolutely blown away that he hadn't already been convicted when I spoke to him recently. And that he hadn't even been criminally indicted. He just said cases like this seem to get much more of a priority here in the central district of CA than what we've witnessed in this district. Bankman- Fried has been sentenced, yet this guy hasn't even been indicted in what should be an easier case.

Time for a citizen's arrest?

#33502 3 months ago

It's been a while. How about some good old Robert Meuller talking about RAZA.

#33503 3 months ago

Somebody rebooted an 8 year old thread and I found this there. Comment number 3. Made me laugh a little.

Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-know-manuel-metsikas-in-philly-area

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#33505 3 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

It's been a while. How about some good old Robert Meuller talking about RAZA.

Something tells me Robert would give anything to submit that video as evidence that he would have pulled this off if not for the SEC.

#33506 3 months ago

An irony is that, if for some reason the viability of the pinball enterprise did matter and could be argued in court, with a little research, cross examination, and expert witnesses of their own, the SEC win their case even more decisively

#33507 3 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

An irony is that, if for some reason the viability of the pinball enterprise did matter and could be argued in court, with a little research, cross examination, and expert witnesses of their own, the SEC win their case even more decisively

Nah... this one to show economic viability of deeproot.

#33508 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bobby is too pretty for prison!

He'd be worth what, 5 maybe 6 cigarettes?

#33509 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I know you already know this, but Bankman-Fried was a media sensation and the government fast tracked him to broadcast a message. Outside of the people that lost their investments and the pinball world, Bobby is a fly in the ointment.
I hope they get him soon.

To bad he didnt name names..

#33511 3 months ago

What is dead may never die

#33512 3 months ago

Wow. This is nuts. Here is the running order of attempts:

1. Zidware
2. Pintasia
3. American Pinball
4. Deeproot
5. Dutch Pinball “exclusive”

#33513 3 months ago

And coming soon, Pinball Company TBD

#33514 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What is dead may never die

IMG_2583.gifIMG_2583.gif
#33515 3 months ago

Well, if RAZA doesn't come with a PinBar (and shipped in a PinPod), I'm not interested...

#33516 3 months ago

I'm confused.. I thought Bill Brandes (pintasia) owned the rights to both of those games (it's been 9 years, not 15)... Or did he sell his rights, but they don't transfer (so they have to file the IP under the new name)? Either way, the fact that yet another company wants to try making either just goes to show there's always someone who likes to lose money.

#33517 3 months ago

Well let’s just recap a bit.
After his Brother left the business, it seemed we started expanding and moving offices. I still suspect his brother wasn’t on board with the Pinball plan and quit being Roberts brakes.
Craig was a remote worker before Covid made it and Robert would fly him to the San Antonio office last minute to put out fires. His role as a VP was more of management from another state. He was at some point in charge of approving purchase orders and having monthly video conference to update him on the progress.

Sean G. is Robert yes man, who would do whatever Robert ask in return for having a C title job. He was responsible for facilities and planning out the manufacturing layout even thought his claim to fame was being able to powder coat metals and displaying his piece so everyone knew he was loaded. He also held back production as they purchased very expensive machines which was never used as demonstrated in the auction.

IMO none of the witness are qualified experts or engineers, with Craig being the only one who might actually have a degree.
I would be very curious to hear what they have to say about Roberts character and the success of DPRT considering the multiple missed payrolls, layoffs, PPP loans. Heck! All that equipment and supplies from the auction looks impressive until you realize they could only make about 20 games. They might have used the last bit of money as a prop to showcase the potential and progress being made. Pallets of unopened boxes and work stations furnished with new tools. Yet their workers weren’t being paid and they had more cheap work station than staff.

The DOL was called when Robert failed to pay employees the second time and Robert made a point during an internal meeting that he couldn’t meet payroll because he had to pay a fine to DOL. Had nothing to do with his recent honey moon.

There were a few times Robert would bring in random people to have a Q/A with the engineers working on making the pinball machines, this became less frequent as the money dried up. It has always been my suspicion that these were investors and Robert would convince them it was a legit. I would guess he used the expensive equipment as collateral to say, even if we fail, you'll get your money back.

Considering that there were real engineers working there and they weren’t on his list, it makes me think he is just focused on dragging it out as long as possible.
My personal fav is when Robert brought over the Utah office for a day to San Antonio and ordered chicken tenders for lunch. The San Antonio office asked if we were getting chicken and Craig would not answer the question. Lunch time came and went and then we were told we could have the left over. Mind you, the lunch area had enough tables to accommodate everyone. I think this was done intentionally to keep the bitter, unpaid hobbiest from his newest naïve employees.
Side note: someone mentioned he could have just bought a share in X company and made it all back, well he once told a tale to a group of us that he tried to do just that and that they turned him down. So he was going to have his revenge by making his own company and running them out of business.

#33518 3 months ago

Zidware, truly the Oak Island of pinball.

Really wish someone else would make a colorful, effeminate game and lure the lemmings away from the cliff that is JPOP.

#33519 3 months ago
Quoted from theFeels:

it makes me think he is just focused on dragging it out as long as possible.

"Every day above ground is a good day".
Mel Bernstein from Scarface

Every day you litigate with the SEC instead of the justice dept is a very good day. When your punishment is being referred to the department of justice and a possible fine vs prosecution by the department of justice which includes prison time AND a possible fine, I'm choosing the SEC and hoping to spend as much time in their venue as possible.

#33520 3 months ago
Quoted from theFeels:

Side note: someone mentioned he could have just bought a share in X company and made it all back, well he once told a tale to a group of us that he tried to do just that and that they turned him down. So he was going to have his revenge by making his own company and running them out of business.

Yeah he tried to buy into Spooky didn't he? Thank God Charlie knew better than that.

#33521 3 months ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm confused.. I thought Bill Brandes (pintasia) owned the rights to both of those games (it's been 9 years, not 15)... Or did he sell his rights, but they don't transfer (so they have to file the IP under the new name)? Either way, the fact that yet another company wants to try making either just goes to show there's always someone who likes to lose money.

Brandes is typically cagey when it comes to this, but I believe he has indicated he does not think he ever transferred away those rights, despite Robert/deeproot claiming / believing they owned them. However, I recall Brandes indicating at one point he would not try to use the courts and that ownership to stand in the way of an entity trying to make these games (at the time, this was not in reference to Dutch).

However however, I believe the judge in the bankruptcy hearings was of the belief that deeproot owned these ips. I think they were part of the pinball ip that Turner purchased from the trustee. So I think Turner likely also thought he owned them. So perhaps he either could have sold or licensed them to Dutch. He did say that he didn't want the raza work to go down the tubes. Even that perhaps he'd bundle up the assets and open source them so the community could make their own games if they really wanted. Providing them to Dutch for manufacture would certainly increase the chances over that of Razas coming into the world.

However however however, on the most recent pinball news/ magazine podcast, speaking only about AIW, they said a Melvin (who is referenced in the Knapp article), was one of the victors in the litigation against jpop/ zidware and individuals who took possession of the contents of John's storage unit more than a year ago. So it's not unlikely that he too thinks he is the owner of the same ip. His involvement with AIW and now trademarking Magic Girl and RAZA suggest this could be the case.

But presuming Melvin thinking he owns the ip and being the one working with Dutch on AIW and perhaps the other games, it will be interesting to know what Bill and Chris think about it and if either / both had any involvement. Perhaps they will let us know!

#33522 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Yeah he tried to buy into Spooky didn't he? Thank God Charlie knew better than that.

For zero dollars, if I correctly recall.

#33523 3 months ago

Just re-read the Knapp article to see that the Melvin is the head of DPX and that DPX filed the new trademarks. So it would seem Dutch elected to create a new company to build jpop games. DPX = Zidware 4.0!

Or 5.0? Depends how you count.

#33524 3 months ago

Melvin (who is referenced in the Knapp article), was one of the victors against jpop/ zidware litigation and who took possession of the contents of John's storage unit.

Hmmm, yes and no.

Melvin was not a part of our winning judgment against Jpop. We sold the storage contents to Melvin after we legally took possession.

And that's how the lawsuit concluded.

#33525 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Hmmm, yes and no.
Melvin was not a part of our winning judgment against Jpop. We sold the storage contents to Melvin after we legally took possession.
And that's how the lawsuit concluded.

Thanks for the clarification, Kim. I was just going off what the pinball news / magazine podcast guys shared.

#33526 3 months ago

Per Kineticist regarding Turner:

"Probably going to expand on this in tomorrow's This Week In Pinball newsletter (sign up here: https://twip.kineticist.co/) but DPX/Dutch Pinball registering RAZA and Magic Girl (https://www.knapparcade.org/post/dutch-pinball-s-new-brand-dpx-files-trademarks-for-magic-girl-and-raza) is so flat out bonkers to me.

Also slightly confusing because last we heard Turner Pinball had those rights. However, we were able to confirm directly with Turner that they had come to an agreement with Melvin Williams of DPX where DPX would acquire the rights to Alice in Wonderland, Magic Girl and RAZA. So at least that part is cleared up!"

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/ghV9xd9iefcVLLRE/?mibextid=oFDknk

#33527 3 months ago

RAZA is truly a zombie game…it refuses to die. Was it even that good of a game to play?

#33528 3 months ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

RAZA is truly a zombie game…it refuses to die. Was it even that good of a game to play?

Not according to people who played it

#33529 3 months ago

I wonder if that RAZA is going to be made to original specs? Does Turner own some or parts of the "pinball" tech stuff like the hydraulic glass etc? Basically could Turner be licensing the tech aspects of their DR assets?

#33530 3 months ago
Quoted from benheck:

Zidware, truly the Oak Island of pinball.
Really wish someone else would make a colorful, effeminate game and lure the lemmings away from the cliff that is JPOP.

If it’s got boobies then that rules out AP.

#33531 3 months ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

If it’s got boobies then that rules out AP.

Find the monkey and what he's doing. AP is kinky.

#33532 3 months ago

Is user AMSNL Melvin? He owns the Capcom Kingpin assets too.

#33533 3 months ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

No it was a horrific joke of a game that was awful in every way.

After all the buildup and money stolen, spent, and wasted, it truly was outrageous when the "finished" game was finally presented. The idea that someone wants to bring it back, again, is insane. RAZA is an embarrassment to pinball.

#33534 3 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Is user AMSNL Melvin? He owns the Capcom Kingpin assets too.

yes

#33535 3 months ago

Will RAZA have the authentic ramp that is only able to be made with the playfield slope set to like 2.5 degrees due to the horrid geometry? Front leg adjusters all the way out and the rear all the way up give me these vibes-

#33536 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No it was a horrific joke of a game that was awful in every way.
After all the buildup and money stolen, spend, and wasted, it truly was outrageous when the "finished" game was finally presented. The idea that someone wants to bring it back, again, is insane. RAZA is an embarrassment to pinball.

On that, you and I definitely agree.

#33537 3 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Will RAZA have the authentic ramp that is only able to be made with the playfield slope set to like 2.5 degrees due to the horrid geometry? Front leg adjusters all the way out and the rear all the way up give me these vibes-
[quoted image]

Im surprised John didn't add a magnet to fix his bad design.. he sure loves magnets (and lightning bolts)

#33538 3 months ago

Brandes is typically cagey when it comes to this, but I believe he has indicated he does not think he ever transferred away those rights, despite Robert/deeproot claiming / believing they owned them. However, I recall Brandes indicating at one point he would not try to use the courts and that ownership to stand in the way of an entity trying to make these games (at the time, this was not in reference to Dutch).
However however, I believe the judge in the bankruptcy hearings was of the belief that deeproot owned these ips. I think they were part of the pinball ip that Turner purchased from the trustee. So I think Turner likely also thought he owned them. So perhaps he either could have sold or licensed them to Dutch. He did say that he didn't want the raza work to go down the tubes. Even that perhaps he'd bundle up the assets and open source them so the community could make their own games if they really wanted. Providing them to Dutch for manufacture would certainly increase the chances over that of Razas coming into the world.
However however however, on the most recent pinball news/ magazine podcast, speaking only about AIW, they said a Melvin (who is referenced in the Knapp article), was one of the victors in the litigation against jpop/ zidware and individuals who took possession of the contents of John's storage unit more than a year ago. So it's not unlikely that he too thinks he is the owner of the same ip. His involvement with AIW and now trademarking Magic Girl and RAZA suggest this could be the case.
But presuming Melvin thinking he owns the ip and being the one working with Dutch on AIW and perhaps the other games, it will be interesting to know what Bill and Chris think about it and if either / both had any involvement. Perhaps they will let us know!

Why cagey? I've said it a million times, Pintasia bought all the IP and games and everything he had in contracts signed and witnessed by jpop and the people from Pintasia. The only way he got it back is if he delivered a "fully working pinball machine to who he owed" obviously this did not happen however Blowburt, if you recall, just stole it and threatened to sue Pintasia if they did a thing about it. At this point, I suggested to Pintasia that it is never worth getting into litigation in 2 instances. 1. YOU NEVER FIGHT THE GOVT AS THEY USE YOUR OWN TAX DOLLARS AGAINST YOU AND HAVE UNLIMITED FUNDS. 2. NEVER PURSUE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST LAWYERS NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR BAD THEY ARE BECAUSE THEY ALL KNOW HOW TO GET YOU TO SPEND MILLIONS WITHOUT GETTING ANYWHERE! . They took that advice and decided in the interest of money that it was not worth the time nor the money since the games were a piece of shit anyway.
All the subsequent bullshit was based off everyone thinking Blowburt owned the IP which he did not. Clear enough? Now I have no clue what the courts would say but I can guarantee they are the ones that have the original ip bought and paid for. Anyone else that have it after the fact because of blwburt stealing it .. well who knows how courts would deal with it but in my humbling experiences in the court system to date is this. Signed contracts with money transactions with dates before any one else ? Well they usually stand up very very well! That's as clear as I can be about Pintasia.

#33539 3 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Why cagey? I've said it a million times, Pintasia bought all the IP and games and everything he had in contracts signed and witnessed by jpop and the people from Pintasia. The only way he got it back is if he delivered a "fully working pinball machine to who he owed" obviously this did not happen however Blowburt, if you recall, just stole it and threatened to sue Pintasia if they did a thing about it. At this point, I suggested to Pintasia that it is never worth getting into litigation in 2 instances. 1. YOU NEVER FIGHT THE GOVT AS THEY USE YOUR OWN TAX DOLLARS AGAINST YOU AND HAVE UNLIMITED FUNDS. 2. NEVER PURSUE LEGAL ACTION AGAINST LAWYERS NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR BAD THEY ARE BECAUSE THEY ALL KNOW HOW TO GET YOU TO SPEND MILLIONS WITHOUT GETTING ANYWHERE! . They took that advice and decided in the interest of money that it was not worth the time nor the money since the games were a piece of shit anyway.
All the subsequent bullshit was based off everyone thinking Blowburt owned the IP which he did not. Clear enough? Now I have no clue what the courts would say but I can guarantee they are the ones that have the original ip bought and paid for. Anyone else that have it after the fact because of blwburt stealing it .. well who knows how courts would deal with it but in my humbling experiences in the court system to date is this. Signed contracts with money transactions with dates before any one else ? Well they usually stand up very very well! That's as clear as I can be about Pintasia.

Very clear. Thanks for the accounting! Did not mean cagey to be an affront. I had just noted you typically respond to questions about such things with brevity and sometimes perhaps a touch of mystery

#33540 3 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I will suggest the Mods pin this post.

#33541 3 months ago

Very clear. Thanks for the accounting! Did not mean cagey to be an affront. I had just noted you typically respond to questions about such things with brevity and sometimes perhaps a touch of mystery

Thats because the whole thing is a three ring circus and I just can't believe how many people in this industry ignore rights and ip of other individuals and just plow ahead with 0 fears of repercussions. It's like it's a part of the pinball industry norms and can totally understand why people like Rowlings wants to stay clear for the most part. ! The industry is stuck in the wild west

#33542 3 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Well they usually stand up very very well! That's as clear as I can be about Pintasia.

Well... when someone is able to register a trademark in the same exact space, with the same exact name... That suggests to me that Pintasia probably didn't have an active Trademark registration for the titles? And failing to protect your trademarks will undermine their claims too.

I can't see how they would be able to lift the game or art directly from RAZA.. but AIW...

And if Pintasia isn't going to fight Robert.. they're gonna fight an overseas company?? Dunno what they 'paid' but certainly doesn't seem like they are that defensive of it.

#33543 3 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well... when someone is able to register a trademark in the same exact space, with the same exact name... That suggests to me that Pintasia probably didn't have an active Trademark registration for the titles? And failing to protect your trademarks will undermine their claims too.
I can't see how they would be able to lift the game or art directly from RAZA.. but AIW...
And if Pintasia isn't going to fight Robert.. they're gonna fight an overseas company?? Dunno what they 'paid' but certainly doesn't seem like they are that defensive of it.

Did you even read the post ? They were not interested because the games were a piece of crap. Trademarks? Who's gonna register trade marks of games that have 0 ability to make money? Trademarks and ip are two totally different things. Pintasia bought all the ip. Roughly 70k US. Art is IP. Maybe zombie yeti can chime in, he knows Pintasia paid for all the ip or should, as well as paid his balance from jpop that jpop was not giving to Jeremy for his art work. Jeremy is the most stand up gentleman you will meet and Pintasia felt it was not only important to pay for his art and work but since he was such a stand up guy it was something Pintasia wanted to do! The rest after this I do not even want to get into but Blowburt just stole it and then sent a big finger and said will sue the shit out of you and tie up in court forever. Don't know why even rehashing all this cause the games, after I had Butch Peel and Joe Abate and PDX monkey pull the games all apart, it was everyone's conclusion the games or at least MG was just a pile of blinking lights with 0 worth.

#33544 3 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Maybe zombie yeti can chime in, he knows Pintasia paid for all the ip or should, as well as paid his balance from jpop that jpop was not giving to Jeremy for his art work. Jeremy is the most stand up gentleman you will meet and Pintasia felt it was not only important to pay for his art and work but since he was such a stand up guy it was something Pintasia wanted to do!

Nice, Bill, very nice. I had no idea you did that for Jeremy and I salute you for it.

#33545 3 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Nice, Bill, very nice. I had no idea you did that and I salute you for it.

Thanks Kim means alot coming from you cause there is one thing in this world that is left totally up to one self, integrity. If you don't have it then I for one will not deal with you or the Corp etc etc.
You have it in spades and it is very easy to tell who doesn't. Regardless of who makes money off the ip, they have integrity or they don't. We will see. Jeremy has it in spades as well and has been very good at stating his opinions on this whole shit show.

#33546 3 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Did you even read the post ? They were not interested because the games were a piece of crap. Trademarks? Who's gonna register trade marks of games that have 0 ability to make money? Trademarks and ip are two totally different things. Pintasia bought all the ip. Roughly 70k US. Art is IP.

Art is just one TYPE of Intellectual Property. Intellectual Property (IP) is an umbrella term. When someone keeps saying 'bought all the IP' that would infer one secured not just the creation itself, but also all the legal rights, commercial rights and exclusive control of said creation as well.

'All the IP' would suggest not just ZY's output, but the ownership of copyright to the works, as well as the legal protections one would normally setup to produce the commercial brand and product... like trademarks for the brand, title, etc. You've said for years they bought everything of Zidware and the games. Now it's just the art?

If Pintasia gave JPOP 70k just to own the art... but didn't bother to secure the actual commercial interests of said properties... maybe they should have just saved themselves a ton of money and just commissioned some personal art from ZY? Because this makes their deal look even more foolish if they were just going to abandon any commercial interests in what they overpaid for.

#33547 3 months ago

Also slightly confusing because last we heard Turner Pinball had those rights. However, we were able to confirm directly with Turner that they had come to an agreement with Melvin Williams of DPX where DPX would acquire the rights to Alice in Wonderland, Magic Girl and RAZA. So at least that part is cleared up!"

This is amazing. The rights to these games have been paid for and sold more times than actual real games have been made. Zombie Yeti was paid, Pintasia was paid, Turner was paid, customers paid for preorders, literally this thing generates tons of money for people yet has made zero actual pinball machines.

#33548 3 months ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

This is amazing. The rights to these games have been paid for and sold more times than actual real games have been made. Zombie Yeti was paid, Pintasia was paid, Turner was paid, customers paid for preorders, literally this thing generates tons of money for people yet has made zero actual pinball machines.

Some corrections: Yeti was hopefully eventually paid for his work; don't know if anyone paid him for rights, because he presumably didn't own them when doing contact work for jpop. However, I feel like maybe at some point post zidware collapse he did receive additional consideration from someone?

Pintasia PAID $70k, per Bill.

Turner paid to purchase the ip from the trustee in the bankruptcy proxeedings, and now apparently was paid for them by DPX.

Detail quibbles aside, your point is right: a decade+ of money changing hands for these nonsense not-games (don't forget all the original zidware customers plus those who forced that bankruptcy and sold the storage unit to Melvin more than a year ago) is the height of absurdity. And with no sign of end in sight!

Hopefully when this and deeproot reach a conclusion (2030? 35?) the documentary, novelization, children's show, and whatever else about it can make everyone whole and provide the opportunity for some of us adjacent parties to cash in as consultants, talking heads, and with personal appearance fees.

#33549 3 months ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Did you even read the post ? They were not interested because the games were a piece of crap. Trademarks? Who's gonna register trade marks of games that have 0 ability to make money?

I can think of at least a few people, as documented in this thread and others over the years

#33550 3 months ago

Bill, Thank you for your clear synopsis. It conforms completely with my own memory of this fiasco, having followed this thread and the Zidware one before it. You at least got a game to a show, which is a lot more than JPOP can claim! I don't blame you for pulling the plug. It would have been good money after bad. I am very impressed that you were able to make Jeremy whole. I have been a starving freelance artist before, so I can relate to his plight.

Best wishes for your future endeavors. You sound like a standup guy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,685 posts in this topic. You are on page 671 of 674.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.