Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 638 of 672.
#31851 1 year ago

IMHO one of the best things about 90s era WMS games were their callouts. I don't think any manufacturer today has the consistency of crisp, entertaining, well-worded callouts that were found in those games. (With Medieval Madness still being far and away the leader in that regard, though it helps when you have Second City cast lending a hand!)

#31852 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

IMHO one of the best things about 90s era WMS games were their callouts. I don't think any manufacturer today has the consistency of crisp, entertaining, well-worded callouts that were found in those games. (With Medieval Madness still being far and away the leader in that regard, though it helps when you have Second City cast lending a hand!)

Rick and Morty callouts are amazing.

#31853 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

IMHO one of the best things about 90s era WMS games were their callouts.

My favorite overall callout package is ... Stern's Avatar. Not only did they get the actor who plays the villain from the films to do them, but they're just very high energy and when the dude says "AMP SUITTTTT JACKPOT" I just love it.

Even so, if people like JPOP are trying to sell you "90s magic", it can't be that callouts are what is going to sell a game, right? did JPOP even have a title with good callouts? The best 90s callout game was I think AFM and then MM after that. Otherwise, Good quotes from STTNG but its not like the callouts are that energetic. I dunno if the premise is: existing games suck and I'll give you 90s magic, via CALLOUTS, I mean, that's a lame selling point IMHO.

#31854 1 year ago

Hopefully no one is suggesting that modern games suck. There are some really nice titles from all the manufacturers.

#31855 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

My favorite overall callout package is ... Stern's Avatar. Not only did they get the actor who plays the villain from the films to do them, but they're just very high energy and when the dude says "AMP SUITTTTT JACKPOT" I just love it.
Even so, if people like JPOP are trying to sell you "90s magic", it can't be that callouts are what is going to sell a game, right? did JPOP even have a title with good callouts? The best 90s callout game was I think AFM and then MM after that. Otherwise, Good quotes from STTNG but its not like the callouts are that energetic. I dunno if the premise is: existing games suck and I'll give you 90s magic, via CALLOUTS, I mean, that's a lame selling point IMHO.

The woman/women in totan and theatre of magic did a wonderful job. Also, sttng Picard whisper of encouragement is over the top awesomeness.

#31856 1 year ago

I'm one of the few people here who actually realized the 90s Williams games were magic WHILE cast under the spell of the magic!!!

When I was in college, in CLemson, SC, in 1995, putting money in TOM, CFTBL, and TAF for a semester, I swear on my balls I paused more than once and said to myself - probably right after Thing grabbed the ball, or I activated the hologram for the first time - "Wow...this is the golden age of pinball. I'm currently living through it!!!"

I shit you not. I had really started following pinball around High Speed / Cyclone, and loved those games, and couldn't believe how good they had gotten by this time.

WHere am I going with this? Jpop sucks and his games are mostly terribly overrated by the modern crowd. And whether or not you think CV or TOTAN is as good as pinball gets, RAZA was, is, and always will be an awful attempt at...something. Magic it ain't.

Abracadabra fools!

#31857 1 year ago

I feel kinda bad for Ice and John. It reminds me of the saying ‘crazy people don’t know their crazy’

#31858 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm one of the few people here who actually realized the 90s Williams games were magic WHILE cast under the spell of the magic!!!
When I was in college, in CLemson, SC, in 1995, putting money in TOM, CFTBL, and TAF for a semester, I swear on my balls I paused more than once and said to myself - probably right after Thing grabbed the ball, or I activated the hologram for the first time - "Wow...this is the golden age of pinball. I'm currently living through it!!!"
I shit you not. I had really started following pinball around High Speed / Cyclone, and loved those games, and couldn't believe how good they had gotten by this time.
WHere am I going with this? Jpop sucks and his games are mostly terribly overrated by the modern crowd. And whether or not you think CV or TOTAN is as good as pinball gets, RAZA was, is, and always will be an awful attempt at...something. Magic it ain't.
Abracadabra fools!

Random random side note….you were at Clemson in 1995? Small world, I was a freshman there in ‘95 myself….spent many a night at Keith Street and TTT.

#31860 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But the mob geniuses knew it all along.

Literally we did.

Quoted from Richthofen:

The 90s magic is just how we felt when we were 15 and played CV at the arcade. Kids raised in the 2000s feel the same way but about Pokémon cards or whatever. There’s no magic in 90s pinballs that doesn’t exist in Stern games today IMHO. I’m thankful I got to experience arcade culture as a kid and got to grow up playing those games. But there’s nothing magical about those games. There were good ones and turds just like today.

This is probably considered a hot take but it shouldn't be.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Rick and Morty callouts are amazing.

and deadpool

#31861 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

The 90s magic is just how we felt when we were 15 and played CV at the arcade. Kids raised in the 2000s feel the same way but about Pokémon cards or whatever. There’s no magic in 90s pinballs that doesn’t exist in Stern games today IMHO. I’m thankful I got to experience arcade culture as a kid and got to grow up playing those games. But there’s nothing magical about those games. There were good ones and turds just like today.

As someone who got into pinball in 2012 as a young adult and primarily plays on location, I respectfully disagree. It may not have been magic, but I think we saw a lot of pinball designs peak and plateau in the 90s. Now that we're seeing new designers join the industry, we may be entering another "magic" age.

#31862 1 year ago
6pb9c8 (resized).jpeg6pb9c8 (resized).jpeg
#31863 1 year ago

I have applied for and received a patent for the following, and thus, have singlehandedly foiled the entire Turner Pinball business plan.

CandyPatent (resized).pngCandyPatent (resized).png

#31864 1 year ago

New filing: Trustee receives another $1k from post-auction sales.

136.pdf136.pdf

136-1.pdf136-1.pdf

Nothing particularly exciting in the bonus lots. Here are a screenshots (since the filing itself contains contact info for the purchasers).

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.36 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.36 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.50 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.56.50 PM (resized).png
#31865 1 year ago

Wow! A thousand dollars! Only $59,999,000 to go!

#31866 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Wow! A thousand dollars! Only $59,999,000 to go!

$1,121. To be precise.

EDIT: And they previously recouped something around $1.5m from the insurance policies sales and the original auction.

#31867 1 year ago

Pennies on the dollar.

Also $1.4m from snack delivery? We used to have that at my old job. Guess I was in the wrong line of work.

#31868 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Pennies on the dollar.
Also $1.4m from snack delivery? We used to have that at my old job. Guess I was in the wrong line of work.

People were eating a lot of snacks. What else was there to do all day? Make pinball machines? *scoff*

#31869 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

People were eating a lot of snacks. What else was there to do all day? Make pinball machines? *scoff*

From the looks of Robert he kept that snack guy quite well employed!

#31870 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

From the looks of Robert he kept that snack guy quite well employed!

If Robert was two inches taller he'd be perfectly round.

#31871 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If Robert was two inches taller he'd be perfectly round.

If you want to understand pinball, first you must become a pinball - JPop to Mueller at some point (probably)

#31872 1 year ago

I don't think it's right to shame Robert because he's round which implies he's fat. There are plenty of better reasons to shame him without fat shaming, or possibly offending the many fat bastards that are on here! I am one of them so I can say that without prejudice!

#31873 1 year ago

I don't like fat shaming either. I'm fine with fat people who are content with being fat (I'm one).

But I will fashion shame him for trying to squeeze into a polo shirt that's two sizes too small

#31874 1 year ago

Cheers to all you fat basturds!

park and orchard ted (resized).JPGpark and orchard ted (resized).JPG
#31875 1 year ago

Look at Ted wear clothes that fit him. Good job, Ted

#31876 1 year ago

I wasn't fat shaming, I was height shaming.

#31877 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I wasn't fat shaming, I was height shaming.

I'm not fat I'm vertically challenged! I like it!

#31878 1 year ago

Ted is looking good!

Also he's not trying to smuggle a Yoga ball under his shirt like Blobert.

#31879 1 year ago

Maybe Robert is pregnant? And the twist? IT'S JPOP'S!!!!!

#31881 1 year ago

Bought some items on eBay from a guy who bought stuff from the deep root sell off. Got this little guy with the stuff I got.

Got a bunch of mechanics for my custom pins I’m building, some rgb pixels, a ton of metal brackets and pieces.

E766E3A5-ACF3-4E4E-99F3-5A32A4BDBE3B (resized).jpegE766E3A5-ACF3-4E4E-99F3-5A32A4BDBE3B (resized).jpeg
#31882 1 year ago
Quoted from Octomodz:

Bought some items on eBay from a guy who bought stuff from the deep root sell off. Got this little guy with the stuff I got.
Got a bunch of mechanics for my custom pins I’m building, some rgb pixels, a ton of metal brackets and pieces.
[quoted image]

Dizzie Doozie!

#31883 1 year ago

Anyone know which way these rgbs are wired? Trying to figure out and have tried multiple ways but no dice. The other ones I got are 12v and 5v, these have no markings.

2B1BF3D5-102E-4D16-9B50-237C9E34B1E5 (resized).jpeg2B1BF3D5-102E-4D16-9B50-237C9E34B1E5 (resized).jpegC7D6EE63-3423-4096-AD3B-B7B69DC9189B (resized).jpegC7D6EE63-3423-4096-AD3B-B7B69DC9189B (resized).jpeg
#31884 1 year ago
Quoted from Octomodz:

Anyone know which way these rgbs are wired? Trying to figure out and have tried multiple ways but no dice. The other ones I got are 12v and 5v, these have no markings.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Mind zooming in on the black IC so we can read the part number?

#31885 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

T4M
ACL7

#31886 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

5304FD3F-9780-4833-A73A-0FDF4BE861D6 (resized).jpeg5304FD3F-9780-4833-A73A-0FDF4BE861D6 (resized).jpeg
#31887 1 year ago
Quoted from Octomodz:

[quoted image]

So I think that chip is this: https://www.ti.com/product/TLC59731?keyMatch=59731

You need to send it serial data on a single wire, then the chip decodes the info and can turn on the LED's
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#31888 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So I think that chip is this: https://www.ti.com/product/TLC59731?keyMatch=59731
You need to send it serial data on a single wire, then the chip decodes the info and can turn on the LED's
[quoted image]

I found that and seems it’s def 5v. I have a controller for the ws2811-12 leds. I have done ton of these, just having issues with this one for some reason.

All these addressables have a vcc, ground, and digital in (just having issues figuring out what is what pin)

#31889 1 year ago

The RGB LED itself is a "dumb device" - it's just a common anode with 3 cathodes (RGB)

Cathodes sink into the driver chip. Driver chip is driven by a PWM modulated single wire signal, much like the popular "Neopixels" but the timing & framing is probably different.

Why derpPoop did this instead of just using Neopixels - who knows?

#31890 1 year ago
Quoted from Octomodz:

[quoted image]

$60 million dollars and they used a 2010-quality 3D printer. SMH.

Reading this LED driver datasheet, man, so convoluted. I just use APA102, you can drive it with a bog-standard SPI and with DMA there's zero CPU overhead https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14016

#deepRootIsDumb

#31891 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Reading this LED driver datasheet, man, so convoluted. I just use APA102, you can drive it with a bog-standard SPI and with DMA there's zero CPU overhead https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14016
#deepRootIsDumb

I got 3 different types of leds in what I bought. The 4 led ones work great with my sp110e controller. The black ones are 12v, but also work great with my controller.

These other ones I cannot get to work with their on board controller (it’s a di so figured it would work similar). I may redo the board myself to work with my single neopixels just to use the boards themself to mount.

F2D77682-DF4F-4993-B92C-30E9910F70B2 (resized).jpegF2D77682-DF4F-4993-B92C-30E9910F70B2 (resized).jpeg
#31892 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

The RGB LED itself is a "dumb device" - it's just a common anode with 3 cathodes (RGB)
Cathodes sink into the driver chip. Driver chip is driven by a PWM modulated single wire signal, much like the popular "Neopixels" but the timing & framing is probably different.
Why derpPoop did this instead of just using Neopixels - who knows?

I’ve used the neopixel ws2811-12 for everything from my custom pinball to custom Superduty clusters I make. On the clusters I always use a sp110e controller and on the pinball, I am using The cobrapin board to drive them through MPF.

Thanks for the pinout, I’ve got about 50 of these that I may just take the chip and led off and pop my neos on the board.

#31893 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

#deepRootIsDumb

i also think it’s insane that their print quality is that bad on the 3D printed. You would think with the money they had, they would’ve had a SLA printer or a better 3D printer.

#31894 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

Reading this LED driver datasheet, man, so convoluted.

Yeah, starting on Page 14 of the data sheet they describe the badly-named "EasySet" serial data transmission scheme. Even if you were going to want to use this chip for some reason, going to all the trouble to communicate with them, why would you intermix these and standard neopixel data transmission chips?!

#31895 1 year ago

There hasn’t been a lot of talk about the SEC trial lately, but I just found out tonight that the SEC pays out up to 30% of the fine to whistleblowers of fraud.

https://www.sec.gov/whistleblower

How’s everyone’s tin foil hat doing?

#31896 1 year ago

I think it's safe to say that NONE of the decisions made at derpRoot made any sense.

I have a 120V outlet in my new Ford. I'm tempting to try printing something while driving down the road and see if I can make it look as bad as that print.

#31897 1 year ago
Quoted from Inside:

There hasn’t been a lot of talk about the SEC trial lately, but I just found out tonight that the SEC pays out up to 30% of the fine to whistleblowers of fraud.
https://www.sec.gov/whistleblower
How’s everyone’s tin foil hat doing?

Do you think that's enough to pay for life insurance policies and leave some spare change for a couple videos?

#31898 1 year ago
Quoted from clempo:

Do you think that's enough to pay for life insurance policies and leave some spare change for a couple videos?

Heh, I wasn’t trying to link Turner Logic to that - but there were surely people in the Policy Services group who knew what was going on

#31899 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

This is indeed bizarre. I can only surmise they needed a higher current than neopixels give you. The other reason for a discrete driver is if you can’t use PWM and need a constant current source. That’s why I use NXP chips

#31900 1 year ago

Hopefully this isn't too wanton of self-promotion (but feel free to delete this if it is): we're putting together the finishing touches for this weekend's Deeproot podcast recording that I'm hosting at the NYCPC show and I think it's gonna be a lot of fun. Be sure to block out some time on Friday night if you're gonna be there. There may or may not be T-shirts involved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 638 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/638 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.