View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 631 of 672.
#31501 1 year ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Maybe be my Big Whale for $100k US.

Every time I see the "US" behind the $100k I chuckle.

#31502 1 year ago

So... If my intuition is correct, this is that dude from the software company that did code for DR. Is he gonna actually try to make it happen? Talk about a shit storm if he does. There are (obviously) some very cheated people out there that will not take kindly to it.

#31503 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

So... If my intuition is correct, this is that dude from the software company that did code for DR. Is he gonna actually try to make it happen? Talk about a shit storm if he does. There are (obviously) some very cheated people out there that will not take kindly to it.

Where there is a buck to possibly be made, there will always be someone trying to fill that space.

#31504 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

A software guy who's biggest success was running an office snack company that relied on the honor system is not about to finish designing a complex widget for mass manufacturing, let alone get it built.

People really overestimate how much was accomplished and underestimate how much work was left to be done.

#31505 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Given the timing of the change to the domain registration and the whole puzzle thing that seemed to have been specifically done for Pinside, I think it's more likely that someone either unrelated to or only tangentially related to Deeproot (probably someone who's posted in this thread) snatched the domain. I guess we'll find out today, maybe.

#31507 1 year ago

You lost me at journey. Don’t care to see any more time wasting puzzles or videos until there is something physical to show.

#31508 1 year ago

I’m always down for more folks making pinball stuff, so long as something actually gets made

#31509 1 year ago

AAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD the shit show continues....

But serious question, can we keep the fun on this thread or do we need to start a new "Turner Pinball" thread to keep this party going?

#31510 1 year ago
Quoted from Thizben:

AAAAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD the shit show continues....
But serious question, can we keep the fun on this thread or do we need to start a new "Turner Pinball" thread to keep this party going?

Can we just link to messages from this thread (or the OG one) about why all of this is a terrible idea?

Really the video should just be renamed "I'm starting a new homebrew until I get bored of working on it"

#31511 1 year ago
oh-dear-lord.gifoh-dear-lord.gif
#31512 1 year ago

"I have no intention of selling something until we have something to sell."

Deja vu all over again.

After witnessing deeproot struggle from the inside to get a viable production facility running I am amazed Chris is wanting to take this on. Seems certifiably insane.

#31513 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

After witnessing deeproot struggle from the inside to get a viable production facility running I am amazed Chris is wanting to take this on. Seems certifiably insane.

Just splitting Molsons with John

#31514 1 year ago

"Call TP and tell them to get JPop back"

#31515 1 year ago

Will obviously be an enormous question mark of what if anything comes of this. That said, Chris comes off as the anti-Robert which is positive.

#31516 1 year ago

Oh, and and nice going Seraph on the interview + pretty cool prize.

#31517 1 year ago
Quoted from frobozz:

"Call TP and tell them to get JPop back"

Test #1 for Turner Pinball: Don't do this.

#31519 1 year ago

There are certain people who have unjustifiably high opinions of themselves and their ideas. Mr. Turner looks like another one of those.
This is a screenshot from one of his other ventures, "Turner Logic".
I'll keep him in mind for the next time I need some "hardward devices".

TurnerLogicBuildsHardwardDevices (resized).pngTurnerLogicBuildsHardwardDevices (resized).png
#31520 1 year ago

Great, maybe greatwichjohn wants to start a turner pinball thread to chase whales or dolphins or whatever.

#31521 1 year ago

Wow.
Intentionally associating your new company with a multi-million dollar scam is certainly one approach.
Not one that I would think any sane person would choose, but an approach.

#31522 1 year ago
Quoted from DCP:

There are certain people who have unjustifiably high opinions of themselves and their ideas. Mr. Turner looks like another one of those.
This is a screenshot from one of his other ventures, "Turner Logic".
I'll keep him in mind for the next time I need some "hardward devices".
[quoted image]

Your first sentence says it all. Everyone look at me! I have wasted some of your time to tell you what I have done…….NOTHING!

#31523 1 year ago

So this guy also bought all of those insurance policies as well?

#31524 1 year ago

Has Iceman sent this guy a blank check yet?

#31525 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

That said, Chris comes off as the anti-Robert which is positive.

He seemed that way off camera, as well. We ended up talking for around an hour in total.

Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Oh, and and nice going Seraph on the interview + pretty cool prize.

Thanks.

To be honest, I considered not doing it. Besides the fact that I normally hate to be on camera (which was further compounded by the fact that I was well under the weather last week), I didn't want to lend my imprimatur (such as it is, lurker that I am) to anything deeproot-adjacent. I'm close enough to San Antonio that I've had a chance to meet people that were hurt by the fallout. Couple that with the fact that I'm friends with a number of people in the Austin area that have been working hard to engineer and ship real pinball for the last decade and that had to watch lots of customer dollars and interest get sucked south to DR, and I really was concerned that I should just lay low.

When Chris contacted me after the contest ended, I made my reservations known. He assured me that we'd only talk about the puzzle on camera, and that even if I didn't want to do it the prize (the nature of which was unknown to me until it was revealed on the Zoom) would still be coming my way. I figured that this new venture was happening either way, so at least I'd have some time to pick his brain and figure out where it was going. It sounds like a number of things will be different (lack of bluster; increased transparency, like an early Haggis model; self-funded), so there are some positives. I emphasized a couple of times the amount of well-earned pain and distrust that have accrued over the last decade-plus around this topic, but I'm not sure that I effectively impressed on him the depth of the animus that will likely be headed his way.

#31526 1 year ago

As long as Chris is true to his word, I'll give him a chance. Seems like a decent guy from the first impression

#31527 1 year ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

Well boys, I called it.

#31528 1 year ago

Fuck it, I'm in.

I love creative people and CT simply conceiving the puzzle idea got my attention. And tip of the hat to blueberryjohnson for finding a message bottle within hours of it being cast into the ocean.

I also enjoyed following the puzzle participants even though it was way beyond my comprehension and still is. And well done Seraph for solving the clues and winning a great prize.

Lastly, I like the way CT came off in his video and what he had to say. There are still a lot of unknowns and uncertainty but I will follow with interest.

#31529 1 year ago
Quoted from Seraph:

He seemed that way off camera, as well. We ended up talking for around an hour in total.

Thanks.
To be honest, I considered not doing it. Besides the fact that I normally hate to be on camera (which was further compounded by the fact that I was well under the weather last week), I didn't want to lend my imprimatur (such as it is, lurker that I am) to anything deeproot-adjacent. I'm close enough to San Antonio that I've had a chance to meet people that were hurt by the fallout. Couple that with the fact that I'm friends with a number of people in the Austin area that have been working hard to engineer and ship real pinball for the last decade and that had to watch lots of customer dollars and interest get sucked south to DR, and I really was concerned that I should just lay low.
When Chris contacted me after the contest ended, I made my reservations known. He assured me that we'd only talk about the puzzle on camera, and that even if I didn't want to do it the prize (the nature of which was unknown to me until it was revealed on the Zoom) would still be coming my way. I figured that this new venture was happening either way, so at least I'd have some time to pick his brain and figure out where it was going. It sounds like a number of things will be different (lack of bluster; increased transparency, like an early Haggis model; self-funded), so there are some positives. I emphasized a couple of times the amount of well-earned pain and distrust that have accrued over the last decade-plus around this topic, but I'm not sure that I effectively impressed on him the depth of the animus that will likely be headed his way.

Thanks for the background. In full disclosure, I found about this Friday when I had a call with Chris. It sounds like you and I communicated much of the same concerns and came away with similar impressions of him. Turner was a total question mark throughout this saga. I enjoyed having the chance to hear from him and talk through stuff. I was impressed that he held no animus toward me for complicating the acquisition of insurance assets process or digging up info about his dealings with Robert and deeproot.

None of that means that he'll succeed with what he ends up deciding to pursue, or that what he says now will end up being how things play out (though I certainly hope he sticks to his principles—I appreciate that he proactively asks people to call him out if he does not). So I will certainly be approaching Turner Pinball with well-earned caution. That said, I think he's an interesting guy and it wouldn't shock me if he ends up someday making a positive contribution to pinball.

#31530 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Wow.
Intentionally associating your new company with a multi-million dollar scam is certainly one approach.
Not one that I would think any sane person would choose, but an approach.

Yeah….hard no for me! Anything spawning from DerpPoop’s ashes still reeks of scam & B.S.

#31531 1 year ago

I suppose for all the possibilities of who was behind this, this makes the most sense and was probably the best outcome, because all others were versions of being trolled by someone.

#31532 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I suppose for all the possibilities of who was behind this, this makes the most sense and was probably the best outcome, because all others were versions of being trolled by someone.

...or Robert, trying to make another go at it.

#31533 1 year ago
Quoted from sgtski1978:

So this guy also bought all of those insurance policies as well?

I believe so. I think he created the software that managed these investment policies so it has been argued that he had insider knowledge to be able to cherry pick the ones worth the millions spent to acquire them.

The good news for the pinball community being no advanced payments or deposits will be solicited as he will be using his own money! Now where have we heard that before?

Good speaker though. Very convincing…

#31534 1 year ago

I do not see this going well. Also my intuition.

#31535 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Has Iceman sent this guy a blank check yet?

It won't be a check, it will be AmEx.

#31536 1 year ago

Look, I'm almost sympathetic. I'm a software dev, too. But no offense, Chris, if 68 million ain't going to build these machines, there's no way you're going to, either. AND EVEN IF YOU COULD, why would we buy these lame, waste of time themes from bad designers?

image-asset[1] (resized).jpegimage-asset[1] (resized).jpeg
#31537 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Look, I'm almost sympathetic. I'm a software dev, too. But no offense, Chris, if 68 million ain't going to build these machines, there's no way you're going to, either. AND EVEN IF YOU COULD, why would we buy these lame, waste of time themes from bad designers?
[quoted image]

I think you just need to watch that YouTube video. The guy is clearly sincere!

#31538 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you just need to watch that YouTube video. The guy is clearly sincere!

I'm trying so goddamn hard to get through the video. 11 minutes in now. Why is this so slowly paced? The audience is clearly people reading this forum, we all know there was a puzzle. Why is this guy's arms so hairy and large / close to the camera? Why do all white nerdy guys look the same? Is this one of the stages of the total pinball ownership experience? Where am I? what's happening?

#31539 1 year ago

I didn't even watch the video. I just skimmed the transcript. Best feature on youtube these days

#31540 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

I'm trying so goddamn hard to get through the video. 11 minutes in now. Why is this so slowly paced? The audience is clearly people reading this forum, we all know there was a puzzle. Why is this guy's arms so hairy and large / close to the camera? Why do all white nerdy guys look the same? Is this one of the stages of the total pinball ownership experience? Where am I? what's happening?

You can increase the playback speed (another good youtube feature)

#31541 1 year ago

Did this guy really say "My company is not deeproot 2.0" right after he gave away a RAZA backglass?

#31542 1 year ago

The only redeeming part of the video was the prize for solving the puzzle. That was awesome.

#31543 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Did this guy really say "My company is not deeproot 2.0" right after he gave away a RAZA backglass?

I mean, since technically he was a part of that, AND this, it's not all new, so it's deeproot 1.5.

#31544 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

It is a good sign he gave away the backglass, I doubt he would if they were going to continue on with RAZA. Hopefully this means that chapter is dead.

Last thing people need is more salt in the wounds.

#31545 1 year ago

So it's Food Truck then?

Someone needs to alert the Germans that Deep Root is back. The German bloc was always the most enthusiastic base of support.

#31546 1 year ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Why is this guy's arms so hairy and large / close to the camera?

Noticed that as well. Definitely man hands.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#31547 1 year ago

What is the point of the contest and the website and all this, without a single pinball machine to show? Then he asks for help from his competition?

If he's going to start a company to make pinball machines, why waste all this time not making them? "I'm going to ask questions if something is an innovation or not?" Buddy. If you have to ask, you are in deep shit.

This is 100% laying the grounds for a funding raise. There's no way he did all this bullshit just to announce his hobby/passion project. God help anyone who sends this guy money.

#31548 1 year ago

This is like watching a dumpster fire following up a train wreck. He seems like a sincere guy, but looking through the portfolio on the Turner website makes me think he's in way over his head. Absolutely zero chance of this going anywhere.

#31549 1 year ago

Is he bankrupt? Has he ever talked to David Fix at a pinball show? Does he own a beer drinking helmet? I think he has a better chance to build a pin than Homer Simpson finding a Big Whale to fund a pipe dream.

#31550 1 year ago

There are lots of companies he can ask that are not direct competition: FAST pinball, pinballlife, cointaker...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 631 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/631 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.