View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 672.
#3051 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Jeri Ellsworth could make a ball-tracking ASIC in her sleep.

OK - got to give you credit for that. It never occurred to me to multi-task in THAT fashion. I would have so much more energy!

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#3052 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It would be way easier if you would just read what has allready been written before trying to proof some conspiracy.
It is an opto, exactly. I said that allready.
But with only one emitter and one recepient, so you don't need to tie lots of cables into a switch matrix and therefore save money.

Ignoring the point why I said it devolves into Optos... you can’t have one spot that can see the entire pf! So instead of one.. you end up with two... three... four... and now your just back to doing what we are doing... proximity. And at that point, your complex method is completely wasted.

People seem to forget... sometimes the reason a method is repeated is not just venues it’s easier to copy.. but because it can be the most effective mix that has been proven.

Innovation that doesn’t improve anything is simply experimentation. You try to avoid making your customers bear that burden.

If the solution doesn’t outperform the original... don’t do it.

(This coming from a guy whose industr has been trying to perfect drawing tracking, fingers, multitouch, etc forever). Digital whiteboards anyone? Yeah it’s the same problem and it’s been worked on for ages. Both optically and with surface designs.

#3053 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And 'outperform' includes cost, support, and other lifecycle things. Not just 'performance' on how well it works.

#3054 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think that is really dismissive of some of the very smart engineers that work at Stern for example.
Anything is solvable with money and man power, especially at the level pinball is at. A more accurate reason in my opinion is there is no business case or return on some of these ideas.
When JJP bailed on the pirates mech, that was an engineering failure due to lack of experience/smarts. They said so.
When Stern isn't putting video camera ball tracking in games, that's business smarts.

so much this.. where i work i can have the greatest new design in the industry (and have cost savings), but of the ROI isnt less than 3 years it gets shot down immediately. if the camera replacing switches idea had merit, any manufacturer would jump at it. think about the cost of all those switches, and the wiring going to them, and the connectors.

ben once had a wacky idea of somehow replacing all the insert lamps with pulsed lasers and mirrors. totally feasible, but a lot of work to proove it out.

#3055 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

so much this.. where i work i can have the greatest new design in the industry (and have cost savings), but of the ROI isnt less than 3 years it gets shot down immediately. if the camera replacing switches idea had merit, any manufacturer would jump at it. think about the cost of all those switches, and the wiring going to them, and the connectors.

3 years on ROI? Sounds like a dream world. We can't get the parking lines painted unless we can show a full ROI in 16 months.

#3056 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Of course it is. I've seen this argument before and it's always stupid and offensive.
There are PLENTY of people who work at Stern because they WANT to. They'd rather work in the pinball business than somewhere else. Many people have turned down higher-paying jobs to work in the pinball industry.
Most pinball companies aren't just hiring people who are otherwise unemployable off the street. They are hiring talented people who want to work on pinball machines.

and so much this. i interviewed at JJP and jack did offer me a job, but i turned it down based on pay and benefits. ask kugler about how he took a pay cut to work for AP. most new designers are taking those jobs out of passion.

#3057 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ignoring the point why I said it devolves into Optos... you can’t have one spot that can see the entire pf! So instead of one.. you end up with two... three... four... and now your just back to doing what we are doing... proximity. And at that point, your complex method is completely wasted.
People seem to forget... sometimes the reason a method is repeated is not just venues it’s easier to copy.. but because it can be the most effective mix that has been proven.
Innovation that doesn’t improve anything is simply experimentation. You try to avoid making your customers bear that burden.
(This coming from a guy whose industr has been trying to perfect drawing tracking, fingers, multitouch, etc forever). Digital whiteboards anyone? Yeah it’s the same problem and it’s been worked on for ages. Both optically and with surface designs.

It just doesn't seem that technically challenging to install a small number of IR lamps in strategic locations and have an array of sensors positioned to view the majority of the playfield (with a few supplemental mechanical switches as needed). The lamps could flash a grid like pattern and the sensors would repeatedly detect changes. Software would then determine the locations of all the static objects and track the moving ball(s). Sure it wouldn't be perfect, but it could be just as effective as how it's done now.

At that point it's a cost-benefit analysis comparing the new system to the reduction in parts, labor, and assembly time from doing things the traditional way. And there would be new benefits like never having to physically adjust a switch

#3058 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Same answer as before.
Is reading so hard? "A couple of switches" is even written in the post you answer to. Not all of them. Wrote that explicitely multiple times.
Goal of that "PLAY OF THOUGHTS" (wich is still way mote elaborate then your allready answered attackings) is improving manufacturing cost.
I might have written that... A couple of dozen times if you quit reading with predefined assumptions.

#3059 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

And there would be new benefits like never having to physically adjust a switch

We'd get new problems for that though.

#3060 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They also don't hit them with bats and throw them around at a few m/s or smash them with other steel objects. You're comparing apples and cucumbers.
"There are other methods..." and you illustrate that with examples you acknowledge are not "realistic or doable"
That's the idiocy of this thread over the last two days... supporting points with stuff you know is complete garbage. Knew so much.. you even went back to the well three times to refine it..

The FIFA had similar issues when they started the goal line project, the ball was moving and being hit hard and played under hard weather conditions. On top of it it had to be precise by the millimeter and 100% reliable in a billion dollar industry solely based on the ball passing the line or not.

Bottom line of the story is with the right people and the right money the sky is the limit.

#3061 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It just doesn't seem that technically challenging to install a small number of IR lamps in strategic locations and have an array of sensors positioned to view the majority of the playfield (with a few supplemental mechanical switches as needed). The lamps could flash a grid like pattern and the sensors would repeatedly detect changes. Software would then determine the locations of all the static objects and track the moving ball(s). Sure it wouldn't be perfect, but it could be just as effective as how it's done now.
At that point it's a cost-benefit analysis comparing the new system to the reduction in parts, labor, and assembly time from doing things the traditional way. And there would be new benefits like never having to physically adjust a switch

Go look at a PF and look at where the majority of the switches are. They aren't out in the great wide open.. they are in lanes, behind things, orbits, etc. This solution that keeps getting floated is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.. and isn't extendable to the majority of the real work. P3 used the idea to ADD something... real-time ball tracking to enable new ideas. You all are trying to cost reduce a game by removing components.. and substituting a system that is crippled and doesn't actually address the initial application of how playfields are laid out.

No one is debating the viability of optical tracking. It's been done for ages. Heck, kids toys do it. The point is "does it make sense in pinball and as a cost reduction".

And as for just shooting IR around a playfield... notice many Optos have shields around them? And why long range optos like the Myst opto are not standard setups? Light pollution!

I get the whole 'parts reduction' and 'remove physical contact' ideas that stemmed this idea - it's just a DOA attempt at a solution due to its limitations and ineffectiveness as a replacement technology.

Wiring labor is cheap compared to field support.

#3062 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

The FIFA had similar issues when they started the goal line project, the ball was moving and being hit hard and played under hard weather conditions. On top of it it had to be precise by the millimeter and 100% reliable in a billion dollar industry solely based on the ball passing the line or not.
Bottom line of the story is with the right people and the right money the sky is the limit.

Hey, with the right people and the right amount of money we went to the moon right? So I guess any hairbrained pinball idea must work too!! My god, how did I miss that? FIFA's problem and solution has absolutely zero to do with the designs proposed here.

You're simply countering with "hey, OTHER problems have been solved before..." - So what.. that doesn't mean your ideas are viable.

#3063 5 years ago

I found an image of what your smart phone would look like if it were limited to 35 year old tech like a pinball machine.

bag phone (resized).jpgbag phone (resized).jpg
#3064 5 years ago

Speaking of pinball tech, I'm surprised scorekeeping hasn't been somehow been made to be Bluetooth downloadable for tournaments and whatnot. Log in via QR scan on the machine, and you could see a breakdown of exactly where each point came from in your game, with what shot combos, etc. You could even set up a remote league that is tamper proof and easy to run.

#3065 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I don't know, last night I watched the SpaceX rocket take off from Houston. The booster rockets were spent and split off after about 4 minutes. 4 minutes later they landed perfectly upright in Cape Canaveral Florida at the exact same time. All done in 8 minutes! Musk is making real magic happen.

Seems like a pretty bad example, given what's being discussed here. That is a very minor evolution of what has been the status quo for 60 years.

It's still an obscenely energy intensive and wasteful way of putting things into orbit.

The industry still hasn't really moved on much further from what Werner von Braun pioneered.

#3066 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yeaaa, but it's a LOT of wiring. ask anyone in the industry what a pain it is to manufacture, not to mention design a new harness EVERY single time you design a new playfield.

Physical switches are constantly getting mashed needing re-adjustment, and sometimes switches can cause ball hangups. Ever notice how modern cellphones have very few physical switches anymore? That's because touchscreens are more reliable. They also prefer you charge using a wireless pad so you don't wear out the charging port.

When people talk about cameras, we aren't talking about a webcam.. It can be a cellphone camera (which is tiny and cheap and can mount in tight areas on the playfield). If a replacement cellphone camera is $5 retail, it's probably less than a dollar in volumes direct from the manufacturer (and you don't need 13 megapixels to detect an object. Hell you don't even need color). I'm willing to bet if you found the right chinese supplier that was trying to dump 2 year old cellphone cameras you could get them for 50 cents all day long. Tool up a small plastic mounting bracket. $.50 camera + $.25 bracket ($.75) to replace a $2 switch (and cameras can detect multiple areas replacing multiple switches).

I guess the only caveat is how long would the camera stay clean, and how often would you have to clean it?
Could it slide out under the playfield so you don't have to peel away layers of plastic to get at it?

#3067 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I found an image of what your smart phone would look like if it were limited to 35 year old tech like a pinball machine.
[quoted image]

Ok, so I just want to preface this by saying I love the Ben Heck show, the Element14 show you used to do, all that, I loved when you were making portable consoles. But, I think you're missing the point.

No one is saying microswitches are perfect. Or that ball tracking is impossible. I'm sure a ball tracking solution could be iterated on and perfected. But nothing happens in a vacuum. Pinball is made by a small number of manufacturers. It's made by people who have industry expertise and a body of knowledge. You don't just get to cram an ASIC and thousands of man hours of software development into an existing market and existing product. These things need to be tested on location over time and iterated on. Just 'inventing' a brand new thing and then the old thing instantly goes away is not how technology works. It works by gradual adaptation, iteration and 'practice', for lack of a better term. They also need to fit into a business framework. What's cheaper, firing your existing software or hardware people and bringing on a computer vision team? Or just using microswitches because they're industry proven, a company like Stern has institutional knowledge to execute on it and know how those switches perform in the field, and they already have an affordable supplier at volume for those switches? Think of the equipment Stern already has that's operated for decades, paid for itself a million times over, like the pinball press they posted about a while back
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/photos/a.386178974243/10153318561909244/?type=1&theater
A business is a gradual thing. You often make what seems, in isolation to the problem, a decision that is sub-optimal, but when viewed in total, make sense for the entire operation. Like economics, like knowledge and reliablity, etc

That's why I think DMDs were in Stern games for way longer than people would have predicted: They needed to iterate on a design that would work as well as a DMD, which the format had been the same for what 25 years and survived location play that long. They needed to ramp up staff to create the art that works for LCDs, that means training existing people and hiring up new people. It needed to fit in the entire picture of business sense, machine reliability, etc.

#3068 5 years ago

I hope we get a reveal soon before another 25 pages discussing optos and switches

#3069 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I don't know, last night I watched the SpaceX rocket take off from Houston. The booster rockets were spent and split off after about 4 minutes. 4 minutes later they landed perfectly upright in Cape Canaveral Florida at the exact same time. All done in 8 minutes! Musk is making real magic happen.

Not that landing the boosters is trivial but, compared with an self-driving car, it is rather trivial.

And when I'm talking self-driving, I mean it can take you kids and drop them off and school and come home "self-driving."

#3070 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

[quoted image]

Dialed In Mod when?

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#3071 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Go look at a PF and look at where the majority of the switches are. They aren't out in the great wide open.. they are in lanes, behind things, orbits, etc. This solution that keeps getting floated is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.. and isn't extendable to the majority of the real work. P3 used the idea to ADD something... real-time ball tracking to enable new ideas. You all are trying to cost reduce a game by removing components.. and substituting a system that is crippled and doesn't actually address the initial application of how playfields are laid out.
No one is debating the viability of optical tracking. It's been done for ages. Heck, kids toys do it. The point is "does it make sense in pinball and as a cost reduction".
And as for just shooting IR around a playfield... notice many Optos have shields around them? And why long range optos like the Myst opto are not standard setups? Light pollution!
I get the whole 'parts reduction' and 'remove physical contact' ideas that stemmed this idea - it's just a DOA attempt at a solution due to its limitations and ineffectiveness as a replacement technology.

I think you're getting too hung up on how opto switches work vs monitoring changes on a light grid. Like I'm not proposing some crazy idea that isn't done in other fields of engineering. Plus you're really overestimating the cost of this system. They could shrink something down like the Xbox Kinect and put it on the apron or rear of the game. It wouldn't even have to be nearly as advanced as a Kinect. It doesn't matter if the back of the playfield is a mess of stuff if the game logic can figure out where the ball is going with very few pieces of data (after all, the games already figure out where the ball is with very few switches).

Plus sure, it would be hard to retrofit that system onto a WMS game. But if you're designing the playfield from the ground up, then you design around any potential blind spots in advance.

Anyways, there are lots more basic-ass ways games can be innovative and appeal to multiple people. Why has the industry stuck to the 3-ball system forever? Why not give the player an option like either play a traditional game with 3 balls or start a game with unlimited ball save, but a max game time of 5 minutes. The advance players can still play a long game like normal, and new players don't get so frustrated about blowing through their dollar in under a minute. Safecracker sorta toyed with this idea. Maybe something like you have a minute to score X points, and if you do then then you get a new scoring threshold and the timer resets, if you don't then the game is over when your ball drains.

#3072 5 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

What's cheaper, firing your existing software or hardware people and bringing on a computer vision team? Or just using microswitches because they're industry proven, a company like Stern has institutional knowledge to execute on it and know how those switches perform in the field, and they already have an affordable supplier at volume for those switches?

That's true, but this is a thread about the possibilities of what can be achieved by a company building a new platform from scratch. It makes zero sense for Stern to change things dramatically...they're in a classic innovator's dilemma. They'll protect margins and market share by using trusted tactics, which will work indefinitely unless some actual competition shows up.

Will Deeproot actually come up with a next-gen platform that's more reliable and desirable than what Stern is doing? They're spending millions and millions of investor dollars on pinball R&D, which is fascinating to me. Whatever they're doing will either fail or succeed spectacularly.

#3073 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

[quoted image]

Exactly.

That's why people like pinball, because it's basically the same as it was 30 years ago.

For everybody else there's Lexy Lightspeed. Don't exactly see those flying into everybody's collections.

People who want "innovation" should find a new hobby. People like pinball because it's pinball.

I cannot believe how many of you are taking this ball tracking camera to replace all playfield switches idea seriously. Why are you even into pinball if "old tech" isn't good enough for you?

#3074 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.
That's why people like pinball, because it's basically the same as it was 30 years ago.
For everybody else there's Lexy Lightspeed. Don't exactly see those flying into everybody's collections.
People who want "innovation" should find a new hobby. People like pinball because it's pinball.
I cannot believe how many of you are taking this ball tracking camera to replace all playfield switches idea seriously. Why are you even into pinball if "old tech" isn't good enough for you?

It's not about that old tech not being good enough. It's about exploring new ideas, and lowering manufacturing and maintenance costs to make the games more available.

The joy of pinball is the satisfaction hitting a physical ball around with lots of lights and sounds triggering endorphins. I don't care if a switch is mechanical, optical, etc... As long as it works as intended, then who cares?

#3075 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yeaaa, but it's a LOT of wiring. ask anyone in the industry what a pain it is to manufacture, not to mention design a new harness EVERY single time you design a new playfield.
Physical switches are constantly getting mashed needing re-adjustment, and sometimes switches can cause ball hangups. Ever notice how modern cellphones have very few physical switches anymore? That's because touchscreens are more reliable. They also prefer you charge using a wireless pad so you don't wear out the charging port.
When people talk about cameras, we aren't talking about a webcam.. It can be a cellphone camera (which is tiny and cheap and can mount in tight areas on the playfield). If a replacement cellphone camera is $5 retail, it's probably less than a dollar in volumes direct from the manufacturer (and you don't need 13 megapixels to detect an object. Hell you don't even need color). I'm willing to bet if you found the right chinese supplier that was trying to dump 2 year old cellphone cameras you could get them for 50 cents all day long. Tool up a small plastic mounting bracket. $.50 camera + $.25 bracket ($.75) to replace a $2 switch (and cameras can detect multiple areas replacing multiple switches).
I guess the only caveat is how long would the camera stay clean, and how often would you have to clean it?
Could it slide out under the playfield so you don't have to peel away layers of plastic to get at it?

I totally get the idea of removing physical contact as a form of reliability. But again, it's not just a single dimension that matters. Ultimately many things simply boil down to 'keep it simple stupid' as the most consistent way to get something done.

Cameras are limited by FOV... so even if you table that for now.. and assume we're talking about where you can see. (ignoring things like multiple levels, going behind things, around things, lanes, etc)

If we want to use image cameras - now we're talking about object identification and reliability. Oh, and doing that on something moving very fast. And we'll want precision as we want to not just locate the item, but tell its depth in the field as well. Oh, and you're trying to do this in low light... and trying to do this with multiple objects... And now do all this in some cheap compute platform.. that you're using in relatively low volumes... and write all the software for it.

All to remove some switches? That themselves really aren't that big of a deal.

They aren't expensive. They are pretty reliable. Their biggest issue is labor at installation.. which is something you can highly optimize and do yourself. Oh, and the development of it is pretty damn stable.. so you don't have to dedicate huge amounts of resources to keep refreshing as the components you rely on keep changing.. outside of your control.

Cable harness work won't go away.. it would just be simplified. But this is work you do 'once' per project.. so it's not some huge gain the longer you run.

I've worked for over 20 years in the image processing world... the streaming video everyone enjoys today are based on the work of distinguished coworkers of mine. In our products today, we've replaced PTZ cameras with 5k sensors that do all the work digitally... removing fisheye for wide lens... facial recognition... face detection.. object tracking.. intelligent framing... I get and appreciate what the world can offer for us. But I also respect the idea that sometimes things are just poor fits.. or can be done much simpler.

It's like . 'man.. I could take a pi, and write code to do ABC...' - or someone comes along and says with with a few resistors and caps I could do the same thing and it will work for decades without ever needing to touch it.

It's funny you use the example of touchscreens being more reliable... because that's exactly what displaced all the optical sensing in digital whiteboarding. The experience of using a physical board and pen was dumped for basically huge iPads because the technology worked so much better, could multi-purpose so much better, and could deal with multi-touch and the physical environments so much better.

The reliability of switches is not really a huge deal in pins (minus a few corner cases). It's the reliability of the wiring and physical mechs.

The biggest advantage to replacing switches would likely be the removal of the physical space constraints they impose.

Or you could go like HWP tried.. and just try to come up with a better switch.

#3076 5 years ago

Love how you guys are painting pinball machines as some archaic relics built by chimpanzees. I can't help but noticed how difficult it is for manufactures to produce these games in a timely manner while being reliable and making a profit. You don't have to make everything a "smartphone" just for the sake of being high tech. Needing a bunch of high payed engineers to reinvent a basic cheap switch that works well doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

#3077 5 years ago

What have I done?

#3078 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Love how you guys are painting pinball machines as some archaic relics built by chimpanzees. I can't help but noticed how difficult it is for manufactures to produce these games in a timely manner while being reliable and making a profit. You don't have to make everything a "smartphone" just for the sake of being high tech. Needing a bunch of high payed engineers to reinvent a basic cheap switch that works well doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

When you look at the threads here that follow every new pinball release it shows reliability is a serious issue for manufacturers. Between transport, QA miss, core design issues and general maintenance, owning a pinball is far from being a plug and play hobby.

I often have friends who come and play and who think of buying one, but when I give honest answer on the time I spend on maintenance they get cold feet and go with an easier hobby.

I think maintenance is part of the fun but along with price, it's clearly an obstacle to adressing a wider audience in the home entertainment market.

#3079 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wait. Does this mean I'm not one of the cool kids?

#3080 5 years ago

I thought that ball tracking was long ago invented. Isn't that technology called a "video game."

#3081 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.

It's (mostly) about innovation in development and manufacturing. Not innovation in gameplay or differing the user experience like P3. (Wich is a great thing but you have to experience it to get how it feels.)

I'm pretty sure you get that.

#3082 5 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I thought that ball tracking was long ago invented. Isn't that technology called a "video game."

I call it "wife".

#3083 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Wait. Does this mean I'm not one of the cool kids?

You are. And will always be. The essence of cool.

LTG : )

#3084 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.

I see what you are saying, but this train of thought also dismisses all of the innovation that has happened.

At the end of the day, I do agree that I want the physical ball interacting with objects on the playfield, but that isn't to say there isn't room for improvement.

#3085 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.
For everybody else there's Lexy Lightspeed.

Correction... There's:
Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth
Lexy Lightspeed - Secret Agent Showdown
Cosmic Cart Racing
Cannon Lagoon
Grand Slam Rally
Hoopin' It Up
ROCs
Barnyard
HeadsUp

I've heard very few people claim to not enjoy the innovations. On the contrary, the innovations and the industry-leading price per game are the things people seem to love the most. The biggest knocks on the P3 are the lack of popular theme and the need for better art design (which we hear and have taken big steps to improve).

Back on topic, DR is starting with one thing that we didn't start with... money. Good on them. They've leveraged that money to pull big teams of people together, and that seems to be a major reason why everybody's got so many expectations for their products. Whether or not they turn that into corporate success and fun playing pinball machines... we all wait to see.

- Gerry

#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Correction... There's:
Cosmic Cart Racing
Cannon Lagoon
Grand Slam Rally
Hoopin' It Up
ROCs
Barnyard
HeadsUp
I've heard very few people claim to not enjoy the innovations. On the contrary, the innovations and the industry-leading price per game are the things people seem to love the most. The biggest knocks on the P3 are the lack of popular theme and the need for better art design (which we hear and have taken big steps to improve).
Back on topic, DR is starting with one thing that we didn't start with... money. Good on them. They've leveraged that money to pull big teams of people together, and that seems to be a major reason why everybody's got so many expectations for their products. Whether or not they turn that into corporate success and fun playing pinball machines... we all wait to see.
- Gerry

As I wrote there is no P3 System anywhere in reach for me (that I know of at least) but from what I saw, what you managed to do with this/ develop (with no budget to speak of) is downright impossible to believe and I have the utmost respect and appreciation for that!

#3087 5 years ago

I think the P3 Cannon Lagoon game was awesome. Made great use of the hardware and most importantly you don't have to tell the player what to do.

#3088 5 years ago

I advise all of you innovation fiends to buy the Multimorphic product. It's the most innovative pinball machine in the market.

They are giving you what you claim to want, and what you aren't going to get from companies like Stern any time soon. Support them.

#3089 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

As I wrote there is no P3 System anywhere in reach for me (that I know of at least) but from what I saw, what you managed to do with this/ develop (with no budget to speak of) is downright impossible to believe and I have the utmost respect and appreciation for that!

Thank you, sincerely.

- Gerry

#3090 5 years ago

After watching this video - especially when JPOP asks if they want to go into the physical size of the business etc etc and the use of the plural word "games" and "my games" several times, I think each dev is working on a game or two a piece. To me this a legit go of a company. GAWD I want to see Alice in Wonderland become a reality. Screw Wonka - that's the real theme to chase after.

#3091 5 years ago

Here is Dux from 1937. This was the first game to adopt the size and shape of pinball that we are all familiar with. Besides its standard size, it is a coin-operated, electrical pinball game with steel balls, electric bumpers and registers and totalizes points which are displayed in the head unit. The head unit also contains backglass animation. There is also the equivalent of jackpot scoring with the "repeater" bumper.

If you cut through all the nitpicking and minutiae, the only major thing that is missing here are the flippers. What does this mean? I think we generally like pinball as it is, just slightly re-arranged each time.

Overall_view (resized).jpgOverall_view (resized).jpg
#3092 5 years ago

Whatever happened to the Gottlieb System 3 "Smart Switches?" A high tech switch, no adjustment needed.

#3093 5 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Whatever happened to the Gottlieb System 3 "Smart Switches?" A high tech switch, no adjustment needed.

Got a college degree and is now working at NASA.

#3094 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I hope we get a reveal soon before another 25 pages discussing optos and switches

Don't hold your breath.

#3095 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

Correction... There's:
Cosmic Cart Racing
Cannon Lagoon
Grand Slam Rally
Hoopin' It Up
ROCs
Barnyard
HeadsUp
- Gerry

Great job Gerry. Didn’t know you had a Hoopin it up

$16 million raised as of last Aug is a few bucks more than you started with?

The fact that Robert has come out of hiding and is chiming in again must mean games are right around the corner

#3096 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

There's a simple reason why pinball doesn't have any of this advanced technology.
It's not because it isn't possible. It's because everyone capable of doing it already have six figure jobs at SpaceX, Apple, Tesla, NASA, Lockheed Martin or (insert giant tech corp here).

Wrong!!! Everything is possible!!!..

#3097 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

$16 million raised as of last Aug is a few bucks more than you started with?

Wow. I thought the number was $7. No risk of the cash burn ending anytime soon.

#3098 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

[quoted image]

lolol But you could throw that out your car window doing 60mph, backup to get it, but drive over it, and still make a phone call with it. Today’s phone can’t be dropped 3’ and survive without and sometime with a case.

#3099 5 years ago
Quoted from KoolFingers:

lolol But you could throw that out your car window doing 60mph, backup to get it, but drive over it, and still make a phone call with it. Today’s phone can’t be dropped 3’ and survive without and sometime with a case.

But your car will break.

#3100 5 years ago

Again I'm excited for everything pinball. Casual players love Gerry's games. We have had them at some locations with great collections and it's held up. Gerry's support to the customer is the best we have encountered. I hope deeproot delivers and I would definitely be a great customer for them.

Different is not bad. Having a different prespective is what keeps these games so interesting. American plays different than Stern which plays different than JJP and spooky and so on. It really is cool to have all these different visions for pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/62?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.