View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 617 of 672.
#30801 2 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Seems to me that rather than spend a ton of engineering time and a add a big chunk to the BOM on something to make it easier to repair the machine, it would be better to have put that engineering and BOM towards making the machines well built and reliable from the start, so you would not need some fancy and expensive playfield lift assembly (or glass assembly). The ultimate goal should be to make it so the owner never needs to remove the glass other than to occasionally wipe down the playfield, let alone needing to lift the playfield..

Well, there's also something to be said about going too far in the opposite direction like Stern was doing for a while.

In general, I think the best design to date has been capcom's mech, with the WPC-95 mech being second (although I have to admit I haven't really been under the hood on AP and later JJP games, so I can't really comment on those). Pin 2k was also interesting, just because the rails didn't limit where you could set the playfield down on the front edge of the cab. Wasn't there also something unique about for safe cracker?

#30802 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The most memorable scene in the yet to made documentary is of the deep six visit for a final reveal of RAZA. . .
Where’s the film and video branches of deeproot during all this? Robert invested heavily in the entertainment media and to not have a movie in the works is unbelievable. I can see Robert deciding to remake Citizen Kane, starring himself.

A Zidware/deeproot documentary in some form is likely. Indeed, I sketched out a partial narrative for an upcoming documentary series.

Some of my friends here know that I'm the arcade/pinball historian for the Arcade Dreams documentary, when I'm not working my day job. The original concept was a single, feature film. However, the project has since grown into a multi-segment 100 year arcade history.

We're hoping to secure a distribution deal in 2023. . .fingers crossed. If the initial series succeeds, a Zidware/deeproot segment may be in the offing (I'll be calling you, Blueberry).

Last year, I graduated from a character and advisor in the project to a co-producer. Consequently, I'm more involved in the documentary's direction. Some Pinsiders attended our presentation at Pinball Expo in November. The team is very talented; the director previously directed a well-received documentary entitled: Viva Amiga.

Here's the Arcade Dream trailer, which has appeared in another Pinside thread:

https://arcadedocumentary.com/

#30803 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

If the initial series succeeds, a Zidware/deeproot segment may be in the offing (I'll be calling you, Blueberry).

Oh man, this could be the greatest documentary ever.. Can we have pinsiders audition for the roles?

someone needs to start writing this now while it's still fresh but make it more dramatic
"Ferrari ENZO pinball for the price of a used Hyundai"
"It's not other people's money, IT'S MY MONEY!"
"The clearcoat is going to be indestructible, I CHALLENGE ANYONE TO A HAMMER TEST!"
"The pinbar is going to be the most innovative thing ever, soon you'll play other pinballs and feel like something is missing"
"We.. are going to design and release... more pinballs than any manufacturer in history"
"Pinball, is EASY!"
"Wait until you see us reveal quad manufacturing.. No, OCTO manufacturing. It is going to blow your MIND!"

#30804 2 years ago

It should be an eight-part series.

#30805 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

A Zidware/deeproot documentary in some form is likely. Indeed, I sketched out a partial narrative for an upcoming documentary series.
Some of my friends here know that I'm the arcade/pinball historian for the Arcade Dreams documentary, when I'm not working my day job. The original concept was a single, feature film. However, the project has since grown into a multi-segment 100 year arcade history.
We're hoping to secure a distribution deal in 2023. . .fingers crossed. If the initial series succeeds, a Zidware/deeproot segment may be in the offing (I'll be calling you, Blueberry).
Last year, I graduated from a character and advisor in the project to a co-producer. Consequently, I'm more involved in the documentary's direction. Some Pinsiders attended our presentation at Pinball Expo in November. The team is very talented; the director previously directed a well-received documentary entitled: Viva Amiga.
Here's the Arcade Dream trailer, which has appeared in another Pinside thread:
https://arcadedocumentary.com/

Great you have begun already and that you’ve gotten so far. Blueberry may or may not have found and purchased the deeproot casting couches by then, but he can be counted on to handle all your casting needs. He’s probably really better at fact checking and can help there, too. The biggest challenge to making the documentary interesting, imo is avoid being too literal. Sometime you need creative license to adjust small details to fit the story. Be fearless. Anyways, a lot of people are interested and will be following.

#30806 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Great you have begun already and that you’ve gotten so far. Blueberry may or may not have found and purchased the deeproot casting couches by then, but he can be counted on to handle all your casting needs. He’s probably really better at fact checking and can help there, too. The biggest challenge to making the documentary interesting, imo is avoid being too literal. Sometime you need creative license to adjust small details to fit the story. Be fearless. Anyways, a lot of people are interested and will be following.

Glad to be involved in any and all of these wonderful projects. However, when we talk about casting, that makes sense for the made-for-tv min-series. The documentary will presumably involve the real people as themselves. And maybe this guy:

blueberry-thestate (resized).jpegblueberry-thestate (resized).jpeg
#30807 2 years ago

Everything needs to be way over the top with every single actor chewing the scenery every second like a rabid wolf hound.

See the Winning Time Lakers miniseries on why this is the exact route that should be taken.

#30808 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Glad to be involved in any and all of these wonderful projects. However, when we talk about casting, that makes sense for the made-for-tv min-series. The documentary will presumably involve the real people as themselves. And maybe this guy:
[quoted image]

You know... I'm thinking Richard Dreyfuss would be great for it.

#30809 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

He’s booked thru Summer making custom callouts on Stern’s secret project - code named BTTF and starring Roy Scheider. (r.i.p. - I never received an invite to your funeral in 2008, you schmuck, and am devastated. Also, sad to hear of your passing).

#30810 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

May I have a glass of water, please?

https://archive.org/details/the-state-season-3-xvid-avi/The+State+-+S03E01.avi#

#30811 2 years ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

The Golden Johnson.

Yes, and future winners, in a fitting homage to its progenitor, will receive the “Blueberry’s Johnson” award.

#30812 2 years ago

There's going to be a lot to chew on since they've only gotten started with the lot posting. Some unexpected opportunities to boot. For example, Exhibit A
[quoted image]

Two Scoops Saturday:

- Confirmed: Jesus painting is back in Robert's possession
- Leads: For bidders crestfallen the painting was pulled from the auction (@zmeny) who remain in the market:

https://deseretbook.com/p/24x19-he-is-risen-framed-canvas-giclee

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.17.19 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.17.19 PM (resized).png

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzHT7DHHLtZ/

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.17.39 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.17.39 PM (resized).png

https://www.facebook.com/DBSt.George/photos/he-is-risen-28x23-framed-art-by-eric-boden/1010483779020059/

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.20.10 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.20.10 PM (resized).png

#30813 2 years ago

What's roxanne.marquis' problem? He does look "Israel lite"!

#30814 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

What's roxanne.marquis' problem? He does look "Israel lite"!

LOL!

In the story, after Jesus' resurrection, Mary met Jesus at the cemetery and thought he was the gardener. He would've at least had a tan.

But enough about art criticism, back to DR...

#30815 2 years ago

I guess Robert missed the part where Jesus threw all the money lenders from the temple.

#30816 2 years ago

Kaneda drinking the tears of RM.

IMG_20220423_221548_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220423_221548_01 (resized).jpg
#30817 2 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

This is just about the most hilarious thing that has come out of this so far. I am cracking up. Somebody put this to music, please.

That being said (giggled) please note that this is a prototype. Everyone make prototypes and crazy builds only to scrap it afterwards. This one would have been scrapped as well. Even for Deeproot had they otherwise got off the ground. Just imagine the weight it adds to the game and the space it occupies inside the box.

Not only is this outright comedic. But it gets better when you think about how thing were run at the root. Robert imagines great innovation that will turn the pinball marked on its head and dictates engineering to design and build this. They spend the time and resources doing what the boss told them to do. Robert comes down to show it off to the camera and take credit. And f's everything up. Surely it must have worked for the guys on the floor to the extend that they were able to put it back in. But Mr. Clumsy did not have time for rehearsal before his photoshoot.

#30818 2 years ago
Quoted from soren:

That being said (giggled) please note that this is a prototype. Everyone make prototypes and crazy builds only to scrap it afterwards. This one would have been scrapped as well.

True, but in most 3D modeling software, including SolidWorks(which is what I thought they were using), when you build an assembly, you can move it and articulate it to see how it would work before laying hand, or laser, to any kind of metal. It should have been easy to see even at that point that it was over-convoluted and didn't have enough space for all the playfield parts and pieces to be added.

It's the kind of mechanism you build when you have more time in computer modeling than you do in actual general fabrication.

#30819 2 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

True, but in most 3D modeling software, including SolidWorks(which is what I thought they were using), when you build an assembly, you can move it and articulate it to see how it would work before laying hand, or laser, to any kind of metal. It should have been easy to see even at that point that it was over-convoluted and didn't have enough space for all the playfield parts and pieces to be added.
It's the kind of mechanism you build when you have more time in computer modeling than you do in actual general fabrication.

While solidworks "can" do simulation, you have to know how to set that up. I can't speak for Dennis' CAD background, but I can say for certain that Barry was attempting to learn solidworks but I think he gave up on it. JPOP could use solidworks to an extent based on his zidware days, but mostly individual parts (not a lot of assembly, and very doubtful any simulation). Also simulations are only best guess estimates that get you very close, and often setting them up takes more time than just building something crude to try it out. As others have said, there is a way they could have done some sort of playfield flipping, possibly just a strong hinge that pivots on the front, but there's no getting around the off-balance weight unless you either use a counterweight (adding even more weight to the total cabinet), or you simply lay the top of the playfield against the ground to rest.

#30820 2 years ago

My point being that building proto to find the idea totally bad and scrapping it for good is a valid learning process. Something that has and is happening in the lab of all the other pinball companies past and present.

But knowing the Robert-Rooty story, the goal of this design and why it was believed that this would sell games makes it all the more legitimate to laugh ones ass to pieces.

#30821 1 year ago

Quiet round these parts. Thankfully, we have our first subpoena. Perhaps the trustee is starting to put the TuYo cash to work?

deeprootcapital-107-2022.04.28.pdfdeeprootcapital-107-2022.04.28.pdf

Also, I'm getting close to having some time to get back to return to deeproot work (combination of a couple extremely busy weeks plus needing a break). I've still got content sitting around that didn't make it to the podcast or knapp, plus an influx of new stuff as a result of the shows. Just need to figure out what to do with what when.

#30823 1 year ago
Quoted from d0n:Deleted post

Lots of us "GAF" and are hoping to see scammer thief RM end up in jail.
This thread needs to stay open to follow that process, and to remind all of us pinheads that scammers and frauds are out there.
I, for one, really appreciate the updates, and back story information as it comes out.

#30824 1 year ago

Seems like every few months a random name pops up declaring this thread dead, the horse dead, Deeproot dead. I always wonder the same thing: just how much money did THEY lose to Blobert?

#30825 1 year ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

Seems like every few months a random name pops up declaring this thread dead, the horse dead, Deeproot dead. I always wonder the same thing: just how much money did THEY lose to Blobert?

Seems like at least $30m, possibly much more.

Millions were spent on salaries and benefits for dozens of people over time, multiple office leases, and a lot of equipment in general. There were also the fines he was paying the Utah state labor board. The math gets a bit fuzzy with the PPP loans Robert took and how he was paying off old investors with new investors. Then there was what Robert was stealing for himself, like school tuition, divorces, and vacations. All gone except some pinball ip of limited value.

There are still some assets to be sold, like the condo and jewelry, but some of the existing assets have already been sold at a large loss. TuYo got what was left of the insurance polices for little. A lot of the office and manufacturing equipment was sold at a large loss, and is mostly going to pay back rent and other legal fees.

#30826 1 year ago

Thanks for the weigh-in, davidlldennis. If we were able to get your additional details about the policies, would you be interested in taking a closer look and giving your expert opinion on what can be gleaned/surmised from them?
Note: I'm not saying I necessarily have much else on them. But if you say you're up to evaluate whatever I can find, I'll see what I can find.

I'm not entirely sure what US policies would be vs. Canadian carriers but I may have some knowledge. I doubt I would add any value to reviewing them since I couldn't determined the 'value' of the policy for someone to buy... Beyond the cash value and death benefit. Both of which are clearer labelled.

My assumption is the buyer of these knew what the policies were in detail and will try to flip them for slightly more than the purchase price to a Hedge Fund or Investment company.

#30827 1 year ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yes, and future winners, in a fitting homage to its progenitor, will receive the “Blueberry’s Johnson” award.

Look guys, I normally don’t GAF about things like post votes…but really? Nothing? “Blueberry’s Johnson”!? Nothing?! Buehler? Lol.

#30828 1 year ago

Two Scoops Saturday:
- Confirmed: Jesus painting is back in Robert's possession
- Leads: For bidders crestfallen the painting was pulled from the auction (ZMeny) who remain in the market:
https://deseretbook.com/p/24x19-he-is-risen-framed-canvas-giclee
[quoted image]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzHT7DHHLtZ/
[quoted image]
https://www.facebook.com/DBSt.George/photos/he-is-risen-28x23-framed-art-by-eric-boden/1010483779020059/
[quoted image]

When did Bradley Cooper find time to pose for this?

#30829 1 year ago
Quoted from d0n:

Kaneda drinking the tears of RM. [quoted image]

His lips on that bottle is meme worthy.

#30830 1 year ago
Quoted from soren:

[quoted image]
This is just about the most hilarious thing that has come out of this so far. I am cracking up. Somebody put this to music, please.
That being said (giggled) please note that this is a prototype. Everyone make prototypes and crazy builds only to scrap it afterwards. This one would have been scrapped as well. Even for Deeproot had they otherwise got off the ground. Just imagine the weight it adds to the game and the space it occupies inside the box.
Not only is this outright comedic. But it gets better when you think about how thing were run at the root. Robert imagines great innovation that will turn the pinball marked on its head and dictates engineering to design and build this. They spend the time and resources doing what the boss told them to do. Robert comes down to show it off to the camera and take credit. And f's everything up. Surely it must have worked for the guys on the floor to the extend that they were able to put it back in. But Mr. Clumsy did not have time for rehearsal before his photoshoot.

I’m shocked that the dude from Orange County Choppers couldn’t make the damn thing work.

#30831 1 year ago

It's good to see Jessica Simpson back on Pinside. You too Nelson.

#30832 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Lots of us "GAF" and are hoping to see scammer thief RM end up in jail.
This thread needs to stay open to follow that process, and to remind all of us pinheads that scammers and frauds are out there.
I, for one, really appreciate the updates, and back story information as it comes out.

It’s hard to follow a criminal investigation because the Department of Justice will never confirm or deny the existence of an investigation. Sometimes you hear reports of subpoenas, seizures, and grand jury summons. Sometimes they contact the defendant(s) first to see if a pre-indictment plea agreement can be struck. Sometimes they don’t.

If it drops it will be sudden. Arrests will be made, indictment unsealed, and sometimes a DOJ press release with little information beyond which you already knew. You can follow the pleadings on PACER, but criminal case pleadings usually don’t divulge a wealth of details.

#30833 1 year ago

I've been saying for a while it's weird that two of the Robert LLCs named in the SEC complaint weren't among the 11 Robert companies that filed for Chapter 7 in the bankruptcy proceedings. You know who else thinks there's something weird about those two LLCs? The SEC.

SEC-57-0.pdfSEC-57-0.pdfSEC-57-1.pdfSEC-57-1.pdfSEC-57-2.pdfSEC-57-2.pdf
#30834 1 year ago

If I was running this scam I'd use all those expenditures to squirrel away a nest egg. Spend $60m to hide $5m you know?

#30835 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

If I was running this scam I'd use all those expenditures to squirrel away a nest egg. Spend $60m to hide $5m you know?

I'm sure wife-three's divorce lawyer on retainer is pouring over their accounts to find it

#30836 1 year ago

Once again, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that first motion ain't going anywhere.
Per item 8:
"The Defaulting Defendants are not infants, in the military, or incompetent
persons, and are not eligible for relief under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003, 50
U.S.C. Appendix § 501 et seq"

How hard will it be to argue that one...imagine the parade of witnesses you could call!

#30837 1 year ago
Quoted from benheck:

I also think he does have nest egg hidden somewhere.

#30838 1 year ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Once again, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that first motion ain't going anywhere.
Per item 8:
"The Defaulting Defendants are not infants, in the military, or incompetent
persons, and are not eligible for relief under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003, 50
U.S.C. Appendix § 501 et seq"
How hard will it be to argue that one...imagine the parade of witnesses you could call!

I loved skimming and catching "The Defaulting Defendants are not infants"

Do you legit think the SEC won't prevail here or are you making a joke based on deeproot's clear incompetence (in a non-legal sense of the word)?

Either way, we've made it to step two.

SEC-58.pdfSEC-58.pdf
#30839 1 year ago

I loved skimming and catching "The Defaulting Defendants are not infants"
Do you legit think the SEC won't prevail here or are you making a joke based on deeproot's clear incompetence (in a non-legal sense of the word)?
Either way, we've made it to step two.
[quoted image]

Joking.

I figure Robert probably ticks two out of three boxes (I think it is a safe bet that he isn't affiliated in any way with the military), certainly his boasts were infantile and his incompetence is not in question...so as Meatloaf says "two outta three ain't bad"

1 week later
#30840 1 year ago

Things have been quiet but I'm digging the punctuations of subpoena noise we're starting to hear. This one looks good as it relates to the condo in Hawaii and will be live streamed for (maybe?) public consumption.

deeprootcapital-109-2022.05.09.pdfdeeprootcapital-109-2022.05.09.pdf

John Patrick Lowe, please take notice that I'm just about a 30-minute flight from Kauai if you need someone to inspect anything in person.

#30841 1 year ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

I also think he does have nest egg hidden somewhere.

I do too.

Question is, is it a better story than the estimated Skippy jars filled with $100’s buried in Kevin Kulek’s yard?

#30842 1 year ago

Things have been quiet but I'm digging the punctuations of subpoena noise we're starting to hear. This one looks good as it relates to the condo in Hawaii and will be live streamed for (maybe?) public consumption.
[quoted image]
John Patrick Lowe, please take notice that I'm just about a 30-minute flight from Kauai if you need someone to inspect anything in person.

Thank you Blueberry. I always get a little sad when this thread dies down for a few days.

#30843 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thank you Blueberry. I always get a little sad when this thread dies down for a few days.

This was my first foray into the dark world of pinball speculation. I hold it close to my heart…

#30844 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I think it will pick back up eventually. The wheels of justice are presumably spinning in the background. Certainly less content of late. Of course, I have a lot of content yet to work through. Just been busy and appreciative of my own break. Will return to at some point.

There are some worthwhile bits in that subpoena to pull out.

#30845 1 year ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

This was my first foray into the dark world of pinball speculation. I hold it close to my heart…

Far more interesting than the Haggis train wreck.

#30846 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:Far more interesting than the Haggis train wreck.

What's going on with Haggis?

#30847 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I’m pretty sure nothing. Everything is running according to plan, and people who sent thousands of dollars to pre-buy games from a far away land are receiving their product in a timely fashion.

At least maybe?

#30848 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You would have to head over to the general Fathom thread and enjoy the flame-fest.

Basically if you pointed out that Haggis was months if not years behind their schedule and they went radio silent for months (after popping out videos every 5 minutes during Celts) you were shouted down. Its one thing to be optimistic, another to ignore all reality. Borderline deeproot in the making was uttered more than once.

#30849 1 year ago

Lets keep this thread to the subject. Talk about Haggis in the already existing threads for that.

#30850 1 year ago

Hawaii Subpoena Selects

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.59.58 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 12.59.58 PM (resized).png

A subpoena duces tecum is one that orders the commanded party to produce documents.

I mostly highlighted it because I can't look at it and not see 'rectum' — that the case for anyone else?

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.00.08 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.00.08 PM (resized).png

Basic topics for which the defendants will have to produce documents and be subjected for grilling.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.01.43 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.01.43 PM (resized).png

The date of our next live stream?

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.01.57 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.01.57 PM (resized).png

I'm leaning toward no. I have no familiarity with subpoena-commanded proceedings of this nature. Are they as likely to be streamed are as the other types of court proceedings we've seen thus far? Worth reaching out to the clerk to ask.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.02.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.02.06 PM (resized).png

Tight turnaround on delivery of all the documents the subpoena prescribes! Here's the full list:

ohana-documentrequests.pdfohana-documentrequests.pdf

What are the odds a Robert-affiliated enterprise has all of that handy?

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.04.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 1.04.22 PM (resized).png

I love the big bold YOU ARE COMMANDED language of a/this subpoena. What's unclear to me is if, like other things, this is a motion submitted by a lawyer for that requires court sign-off to take effect

The document has a spot for the clerk or deputy clerk to sign. It is not signed in this document. No signed document has been added to PACER as of 6:20 central on May 10 for a subpoena that commands a party to submit that laundry list of documents by noon of May 13.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 617 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/617?hl=jstoltz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.