Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 672.
#2951 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Modern" pinball machines are laughably primitive compared to most other things.
If a large tech driven company bothered to do anything in the realm of Pinball they would squash every company like an elephant on an ant.

something about mouse traps comes to mind...

And how many times have people thought they were smarter than the old guys from before... and failed?

#2952 4 years ago

LIDAR ball tracking with AI built in to play the game itself. Revolutionary!! All the player has to do is stand there and look badass.

#2954 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Modern" pinball machines are laughably primitive compared to most other things.

Yeeeaa-maybe. But do they have to be anything else? I mean, the magic lies within the magic.

If they can lower manufacturing costs, yeah go ahead. But people still want a playfield that is fun to shoot and rules that call for one-more-game (tm).

From time to time I have wondered, why they do not get rid of the ball switches. Surely the playfield art suffers from it. And one can imagine the cost of manufacturing too (routing slices etc.). But...

Do a pinball machine where you do not have the feel of the ball actuating switches feel right? Heighway?

Are under playfield mounted proximity switchs any more reliable?

On laughably matters of modern pinball. Oh man, the efford that must go into the displays. Surely it is part of the quality of the entire package. But, really.

#2955 4 years ago

Low tier voice acting means lower production costs...

#2956 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don’t you think they’d just do something else besides fuck around with primitive pinball machines?

They'd make a better digital or vr pinball and thats all...

#2957 4 years ago

Any word on when the reveal is supposed to be?

#2958 4 years ago

Here is a quick video of John Papadiuk talking about Retro Atomic Zombieland on the Ben Heck Show back in 2011. Pretty crazy how he was able to rationalize the problems with finishing machines back then, yet still started multiple machines, without the ability to actually finish a single one of them. Hopefully, with enough cash and talent around him we actually see some finished machines.

#2959 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

You missed it!

It was at TPF.

#2960 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Presumably before the deadline with the Zidware customers, if they intend to observe that, or miss it, but placate them with something.

#2961 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Here is a quick video of John Papadiuk talking about Retro Atomic Zombieland on the Ben Heck Show back in 2011.

See post #2841, a couple of pages back. As the adage goes, brilliant minds think alike, right?

#2962 4 years ago

Any update on when we may see an actual pinball machine from DR? Next TPF?

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Here is a quick video of John Papadiuk talking about Retro Atomic Zombieland on the Ben Heck Show back in 2011.

#2964 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Any update on when we may see an actual pinball machine from DR? Next TPF?

I don't expect to read trough hundreds of posts but you could scroll up 5 or so.

#2965 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:I don't expect to read trough hundreds of posts but you could scroll up 5 or so.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Presumably before the deadline with the Zidware customers,

And when is that?

#2966 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

And when is that?

Further up...

Games were supposed to be revealed last march after the 5 days of deeproot, that was cancelled/ postponed ~3 months in advance.
No concrete new info since then.

Deadline to "make up with Ex-Zidware Customers" (wich would propably be a copy of RAZA) is end of May or end of June.

Will they make it in time? Will Zidware Customers get a Deeproot game before the 5 days of Deeproot even happened?
(Edit: Actually that would be cool, o that they clean this slate and do the exact opposite of what everyone else did, collecting money from early buyers but then shipping games to new customers first.)

The anwser is:

Dunno!

#2967 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

that they clean this slate

There's no cleaning of the slate. Jpop is still suing his past customers who won judgment against him in court, and the offer to zidware customers was ended before anything other than hot air was actually shown to anyone.

#2968 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

lots of people design a pinball for a decade..
yea, they're called jpop
#davidspade #tommyboy

#2969 4 years ago

I like the part where I start a game after John, spend very little of my own money developing it (maybe 5 grand) and release it for manufacturing before he even gets bailed out the first time by Bill Brandes.

#2970 4 years ago

Don't worry Ben, I learnt my very expensive lesson. We leave said lesson to the minds of the masses

#2971 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I like the part where I start a game after John, spend very little of my own money developing it (maybe 5 grand) and release it for manufacturing before he even gets bailed out the first time by Bill Brandes.

You made a game.

HE WROTE HISTORY AND BECAME A LEGEND!!!

(Just in case someone needs it -> )

#2972 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

lots of people design a pinball for a decade..
yea, they're called jpop
#davidspade #tommyboy

I thought it might be interesting to try to date just how long it's been since JPop designed a full-size functional pinball machine.

* Gas costs were on average $1.25 per gallon
* Barry Sanders was still in the NFL
* Vince Carter was a rookie in the NBA
* Pre-Y2K
* Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen were in elementary school
* Spice Girls were on tour
* We were still two years away from the first Harry Potter movie
* There was no Xbox
* Williams was still producing pinball machines

Again, I want there to be a redemption, but it's a little unbelievable that anyone is still willing to invest so much into him after this many years.

#2973 4 years ago

@Robert/Deeproot

Pinside neeeeeeds a teaser!!!

#2974 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I thought it might be interesting to try to date just how long it's been since JPop designed a functional game.
* Vince Carter won ROTY
* Pre-Y2K
* Jon Snow (Kit Harington) was in elementary school
* There was no Xbox
Again, I want there to be a redemption, but it's a little unbelievable that anyone is willing to work with him after this many years.

Last JPop game is from 2006.

#2975 4 years ago

Jpop gets so much hatred. Not cool he tried so hard. He’s also a good faithful family man.

#2976 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

?

#2977 4 years ago

Or 2007, 2008. License was aquired in 2006.

41KKSHS84XL (resized).jpg41KKSHS84XL (resized).jpg

And no, I shit you not.

#2978 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I thought it might be interesting to try to date just how long it's been since JPop designed a functional game.
* Vince Carter was a rookie in the NBA
* Pre-Y2K
* Jon Snow (Kit Harington) was in elementary school
* There was no Xbox
Again, I want there to be a redemption, but it's a little unbelievable that anyone is still willing to invest so much into him after this many years.

And his games are still better than any pins released in the last 20 years.

It’s going to be difficult for him to Top already what’s in the top 20, but hopefully he pulls it off

#2979 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Or 2007, 2008. License was aquired in 2006.
[quoted image]
And no, I shit you not.

Fair enough, I edited my post to include "full-size".

#2980 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Fair enough, I edited my post to include "full-size".

#2981 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Jpop gets so much hatred. Not cool he tried so hard. He’s also a good faithful family man.

Zero hatred from me, but I also am not out any money. I want him to pay back his many debts and don't understand why a company would knowingly take on that baggage on a designer who hasn't produced a full-size functional pinball machine in the past 20 years. However, I don't need to understand. If DeepRoot can assist those who lost money, that's a positive for our hobby.

Quoted from wolfemaaan:

It’s going to be difficult for him to Top already what’s in the top 20, but hopefully he pulls it off

I liked his pinball machines too.

#2982 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

f

His games suck ass.

The best one he ever made he didn't even finish (World Cup Soccer - thanks to whomever at Williams took that project over).

There's never been a single more overrated "classic" pinball designer than Jpop. I do not and never will understand the cult.

#2983 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

His games suck ass.
The best one he ever made he didn't even finish (World Cup Soccer - thanks to whomever at Williams took that project over).
There's never been a single more overrated "classic" pinball designer than Jpop. I do not and never will understand the cult.

Joe Balcer, methinks?

#2984 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

why a company would knowingly take on that baggage on a designer who hasn't produced a full-size functional pinball machine in the past 20 years.

I Guess the same reason a NFL team gets a player knowing that he was an abuser....money to them!

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

His games suck ass.

I own 3 of his games. My collection is mixed and TOTAN is a great game. All his games shoot smoothly. Hated TOTAN, wife loved it, couldn't sell because of her, glad I kept it as it is a phenomenal game.

#2985 4 years ago

Jpop gets so much hatred.

People tend to reap what they sow.

Not cool he tried so hard.

Playing arts and crafts ?

He’s also a good faithful family man.

You really need to read the threads when things were coming apart and people started legal proceedings. The word "good" doesn't come to mind with what was going on.

LTG : )

#2986 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I own 3 of his games. My collection is mixed and TOTAN is a great game. All his games shoot smoothly. Hated TOTAN, wife loved it, couldn't sell because of her, glad I kept it as it is a phenomenal game.

Yeah it's a dumb ass game with bad software and gimmicks he stole from ancient Williams EMs just like the rest of 'em.
Looks pretty though!

#2987 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah it's a dumb ass game with bad software just like the rest of 'em.
Looks pretty though!

I'm here because of playing TOTAN in the Pinball Arcade and getting hooked.

If I wasn't, wouldn't this forum be a sad, sad place and you would cry every single day missing me?

#2988 4 years ago

The Cleveland Browns won roughly 59 of their 176 games since 2006.

#2989 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

His games suck ass.

i remember playing it new in the arcade, not knowing or caring about the designers back then. didn't even know about TOTAN OR CV until i got in the hobby 8 years ago. i remember having fun playing it at the time, even thought about buying one once. its such a tainted game i dont think i could ever own one. i know that sounds silly, but theres also so many other good titles out there and only so much room in your house.

#2990 4 years ago

Come on now.

If TOM or TOTAN had better code they'd be Top 3 pins instead of Top 10 pins.

#2991 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Come on now.

Well, what are you waiting for? Make it so!

#2992 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Come on now.

I did like the layout of TOM, but the code was to much to overlook. That end of ball bonus score is crazy.

#2993 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Do you really believe what you are saying?

In terms of actually playing it, and doing so more than a handful of times, WCS is by a country mile his best machine. The rest may have flow, or be 'collectible'. But better than the best of the last 20 years? That's laughable.

Even in 2011 before Stern's golden era of great SAMs and JJP coming onto the scene, when that statement may have had slightly more relevance, I'd say TSPP absolutely blew away anything he did.

#2994 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Come on now.

And if my grandma had wheels she'd be a wagon.

You really like those games that much? Top TEN!?

Still under the Jpop magic spell!

#2995 4 years ago

The guy who designed Cirqus Voltaire needs to bring out more games. Bring 'em on, please !

#2996 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

The guy who designed Cirqus Voltaire needs to bring out more games. Bring 'em on, please !

Just send him $15,000 and I'm sure he'll whip something up for you.

#2997 4 years ago

He’s also a good faithful family man.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If only we'd known, we wouldn't have given JPop all that grief about taking millions in deposits and failing to make good on his promises. I always say a man can rob me all he wants, just so long as he's honest to his wife and makes it to church on time.

#2998 4 years ago

Can't wait to see the arguing really blow up in this thread once something actually happens.

#2999 4 years ago

It's funny to me the number of people who think it's some Herculean engineering task to develop a system that could track the ball on the playfield without mechanical switches

Gerry, you really need to work on getting the P3 to more shows...

#3000 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I thought it might be interesting to try to date just how long it's been since JPop designed a full-size functional pinball machine.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Magic Girl, 2017. It functioned, just not very well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/60?hl=beergut666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.