View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 606 of 672.
#30251 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

There are not flippers in the upper half of the playfield, but there are slings in the mid left and right of the playfield. Those could be user controlled?

I think the flippers down by the drain, become the upper flippers when the turntable rotated 180 degrees (sort of repeating my self from the post above). Then I assume the software inverts them (since they are know essentially upside down)? Like the inverted flipper mode in Houdini.

So if this the case, you're kind of playing 1/2 the playfield at a time?

Very weird if any of our speculations are correct. Rather gimmicky?

But then there's this area too...?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#30252 2 years ago

What you describe with the up/down piece isn't really feasible. You could never guarantee the shot would make it to the other playfield.
If the yellow portion was down in the drawing you suggested, a pop from the lower bumper could send it into the horseshoe, which would be down, and gravity would keep it there. That design of up/down for that piece of the playfield would just never work/serve a purpose.

Quoted from TreyBo69:

This is my hunch
The turntable turns 180 and maybe even some other degrees. The area in yellow may raise up and down? So it’s out of the way or in your face when the flippers are in a normal position, and raises to shoot at while inverted.
[quoted image]

#30253 2 years ago

That is very much the drain in that position. Sends it into the subway, back to the VUK on the right, and back to the circle pf.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I think the flippers down by the drain, become the upper flippers when the turntable rotated 180 degrees (sort of repeating my self from the post above). Then I assume the software inverts them (since they are know essentially upside down)? Like the inverted flipper mode in Houdini.
[quoted image]

Screenshot 2022-04-05 210703 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-04-05 210703 (resized).png
#30254 2 years ago

That drain you circled feeds directly back into the subway that leads to the VUK on the right side of the pic.

Edit: jinx Keroppi

E5B6A5BB-2B37-4B1D-B00A-3403EB15B98F (resized).jpegE5B6A5BB-2B37-4B1D-B00A-3403EB15B98F (resized).jpeg

#30255 2 years ago

My arrow was better. LOL

Quoted from play_pinball:

That drain you circled feeds directly back into the subway that leads to the VUK on the right side of the pic.
Edit: jinx Keroppi
[quoted image]

#30256 2 years ago

so... play_pinball ...y'all want that mechanism and extra pf? Yours for the low low price of very detailed pics of you bros' RAZA.

#30257 2 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

That is very much the drain in that position. Sends it into the subway, back to the VUK on the right, and back to the circle pf.

Yep, and if you look at the original picture below, the drain is the only place the ball will end up.

The ball waits in the VUK, the upper part of the turntable (and the flippers) lifts up flush w/the PF, then you are playing the upper PF.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#30258 2 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

What you describe with the up/down piece isn't really feasible. You could never guarantee the shot would make it to the other playfield.
If the yellow portion was down in the drawing you suggested, a pop from the lower bumper could send it into the horseshoe, which would be down, and gravity would keep it there. That design of up/down for that piece of the playfield would just never work/serve a purpose.

If you look at the area I highlight in yellow in the cad, there is some kind of line there.

The pop would be going up and down too. There would be clear plastic on top like Time Machine.

The game has lots of ways to hold balls while it does transformations and not pinch the balls

Seems like the standard operating procedure to have ambitious mech ideas and not have the engineers to execute on the ideas.

#30259 2 years ago

Not understanding what you mean. No ,atter what, the VUK feeds to the middle of the circle/lower pf, no matter which way it's turned. the real question is the transition, which I haven't got a guaranteed satisfactory explanation, and I got the CADs!

Quoted from mbwalker:

Yep, and if you look at the original picture below, the drain is the only place the ball will end up.
The ball waits in the VUK, the upper part of the turntable (and the flippers) lifts up flush w/the PF, then you are playing the upper PF.
[quoted image]

#30260 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

[quoted image]

I don’t think you can make flippers switch between flip up and down like you’d need to in this idea

They can only flip in one direction. While they’re upside down you could hold them in the hold position and release them when the player hits the button. But then only the spring is powering the flipper which is much too weak.

#30261 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I don’t think you can make flippers switch between flip up and down like you’d need to in this idea
They can only flip in one direction. While they’re upside down you could hold them in the hold position and release them when the player hits the button. But then only the spring is powering the flipper which is much too weak.

I guess they could switch the polarity of the voltage on the flipper coils - but this entire PF just seems so complicated.

#30262 2 years ago

Yeah, I don't believe in weak reversed flippers. I pulled the CAD, the line (circled) has a pencil note: '"Everything inside dotted line omitted for v1" ...I guess that means the whitewood is v2. But it definitely means that delineator wasn't a separating piece or anything. WSIWYG.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 212050 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-04-05 212050 (resized).png
#30263 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I guess they could switch the polarity of the voltage on the flipper coils - but this entire PF just seems so complicated.

That’s not how flippers work

#30264 2 years ago

Looking at the CAD, were the BLACK HOLE drops going to have knock down coils? It looks like coil lugs in front of each drop like a Bally drop target bank with knock downs.

#30265 2 years ago

You mean here? YES. 9 coils.

Quoted from TreyBo69:Looking at the CAD, were the BLACK HOLE drops going to have knock down coils? It looks like coil lugs in front of each drop like a Bally drop target bank with knock downs.

Screenshot 2022-04-05 212050-2 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-04-05 212050-2 (resized).png
#30266 2 years ago

It's over my head discussions like these that tell me there is an audience for some of the stuff I've been sent that I need to figure out what to do with

#30267 2 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

Not understanding what you mean. No ,atter what, the VUK feeds to the middle of the circle/lower pf, no matter which way it's turned. the real question is the transition, which I haven't got a guaranteed satisfactory explanation, and I got the CADs!

When the flippers are towards the upper PF, the turntable is tilted so it drains towards the hole that's part of the subway.

Your right about the VUK only shooting out towards the turntable - I was thinking it kicked it out in the upper PF and the turntable would raise to level with the upper PF - then you would have played the upper PF. But like you said - the VUK shoots it to the turntable.

#30268 2 years ago

What were you sent? Any RAZA/DR stuff? I am collecting everything I can to finish my builds.

Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

It's over my head discussions like these that tell me there is an audience for some of the stuff I've been sent that I need to figure out what to do with

#30269 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

That’s not how flippers work

Geez - I'm an electrical engineer too! LOL I was thinking of the direction of the magnetic field.

#30270 2 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

What were you sent? Any RAZA/DR stuff? I am collecting everything I can to finish my builds.

Lots of BOM stuff and other technical mumbo jumbo. I've been banking some things in advance of a special project. But don't worry, I'll plan to get everything out by end of month at the latest (and stuff I decide not to hold onto for the other thing sooner).

#30271 2 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

so... play_pinball ...y'all want that mechanism and extra pf? Yours for the low low price of very detailed pics of you bros' RAZA.

Definitely. And the cad drawing too so someone can try to get it flipping hopefully. I have a bunch of cad drawings for raza and some of the playfields are labeled with what goes where.

I would like to try to get an extra raza playfield together as someone who is interested in doing some code for it wants one but I dont want to separate the full cabinet and playfield I managed to get

#30273 2 years ago

Sweet! I plan on getting *everything* scanned. I have 100s of RAZA CAD drawings, but would be interested to add anything I don't have.
I'd be willing to donate a whitewood to a good coding cause.
What I still need to trade with you specifically is for: scans (including cabinet art/XTRA lit cabinet side) and a zillion close-up/assembly pics, and any extra LCDs (up to 3 sets) you have.

I'll be catalogging all the parts I have by part #, and will be giving every RAZA owner/prospect the opportunity to buy one before I scrap *anything*...however there's definitely some parts I have that *far* succeed anyone's ability to build anything (ex: I have ~140 upper rails for ~30 pfs...)

Also: If anyone won any 'scrap metal' lots or custom mechs/etc, please reach out to me!

Quoted from pinball_ric:

Definitely. And the cad drawing too so someone can try to get it flipping hopefully. I have a bunch of card drawings for raza and some of the playfields are labeled with what goes where.
I would like to try to get an extra playfield together as someone who is interested in doing some code for it wants one but I dont want to separate the full cabinet and playfield I managed to get

#30274 2 years ago

Just FYI - from the whole Steve Kordek Archives/Lost Playfield Drawings Of Harry Williams projects, I have a 42" scanner that can do bitonal, greyscale and color of anything 42" or less in one of its dimensions, and about any length in the other. IOW, perfect for full size playfield drawings. I work for free for pinball historical archiving projects. Just an alternative to dumping a bunch of money at Kinko's, if anyone is interested. I can provide references

#30275 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Well how do you really think I pried the company away from Jpop for virtually nothing?

Quoted from wcbrandes:

Where do you get your information lol, I'm right here, you can talk to me anytime!
Don't worry Levi I was a big boy and paid absolutely 0 for the IP and the ability to take control to figure out if it was viable or not....ok not 0 but just enough for a Starbucks Grande Latte so the contract would stick lol . I don't believe I ever asked for any money from anyone, just to sign off on John and law suits so as to give time and by time meaning time to pry the books and the machine out from under Jpop who would not let anyone take that machine or books out the door for now obvious reasons. Also to get it in the hands of capable engineers and pinball people who know much much more than me, and as soon as we all went through it in a garage, close to a show, we pulled the plug immediately. Was there costs to getting the thing out of JPOPs hands and into competent hands ...yes, however it was worth every penny to do so to either make a run with an already big player building and selling games or stop the madness of a man that was seemingly taking money with no plans to manufacture. This "he has money so he thinks he is smarter than everyone else" crap has to stop. what I was smart at is business and getting control of his, thus surrounding myself with people who were and still are much smarter than me in design, engineering and manufacturing of pinball machines to determine just exactly what Jpop had wasted our money on. Please never put me in a category with blobert who was rich with everyone's money but his own! I also enjoyed your podcast as you have more knowledge of pinball than I ever hope to have but will always sit down with you and have a beer no matter how divided or different you think we are lol

And... You got two Magic Girl games out of the deal. Well done, Bill.

#30276 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

even if that worked, springs are designed to work in only one direction (push or pull). the only way I see it working is if you had a motor to spin the entire flipper mech 180 degrees (which I don't see in the CAD layout).

Black hole is interesting for sure, but between rotating flippers, rotating playfield, and tilting playfield it's a BOM, maintenance, and software nightmare. Not to mention it's going to be a pain to get that circle playfield flush. It's enough of a pain getting things like spinners in whirlwind flush when it only goes up and down. Now imagine trying to get a surface that can rotate in the X-axis while rotating about the Z-axis. Whoever attempts to build this is going to need some serious precision (like bearing pillow blocks mounted to a steel mount).

#30277 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Black hole is interesting for sure, but between rotating flippers, rotating playfield, and tilting playfield it's a BOM, maintenance, and software nightmare.

I'm sure you could make the flippers work but I suspect you would need two coils.

Its interesting but doesn't look feasible. The horseshoe in the middle looks problematic.

#30278 2 years ago
Quoted from Keroppi:

I have 100s of RAZA CAD drawings, but would be interested to add anything I don't have.

CAD files or prints?

#30279 2 years ago
Quoted from catwoman:

Is somebody able to refresh our memory about Chris Turner paying premiums to keep these policies in force even though at that point he had ZERO ownership? I recall a mention that the judge sounded impressed at that when Tuyo put in its bid for purchase. I hope that perhaps the judge will rethink that sentiment given this objection. Perhaps Turner paying those premiums with no obvious benefit to him really indicates there is more to this story that needs attention.

It was part of the trustee's motion on the stalking horse auction proposal:

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 4.19.35 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-04-06 at 4.19.35 AM (resized).png

These TuYo folks are a pair of eager beavers.

deeprootcapital-78-2022.03.15.pdfdeeprootcapital-78-2022.03.15.pdf
#30280 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

even if that worked, springs are designed to work in only one direction (push or pull). the only way I see it working is if you had a motor to spin the entire flipper mech 180 degrees (which I don't see in the CAD layout).
Black hole is interesting for sure, but between rotating flippers, rotating playfield, and tilting playfield it's a BOM, maintenance, and software nightmare. Not to mention it's going to be a pain to get that circle playfield flush. It's enough of a pain getting things like spinners in whirlwind flush when it only goes up and down. Now imagine trying to get a surface that can rotate in the X-axis while rotating about the Z-axis. Whoever attempts to build this is going to need some serious precision (like bearing pillow blocks mounted to a steel mount).

Black hole uses the natural slope of the playfield. It only spins on the x axis that would be parallel to the floor, not parallel to the playfield.

The button/flipper control can be swapped on the fly via software.

That is if this game ever got further than the white woods shown.

#30281 2 years ago

Yeah if the playfield just rotates there’s no need to tilt it. It’s all about how you mount the two planes to one another.

At a 6.5 degree downward angle so it’s flush when flippers are low, then it rotates 180 degree and is a -6.5 degree angle.

As an example, balance your phone with on finger at central pivot point, then rotate the phone around your finger.

It doesn’t explain how they would get the horseshoe out of the way though…

That’s why I’m wondering if that U-Turn area is supposed to lift up and down like Time Machine, while also being on a rotating platform.

Or the stand up targets were motorized to go up and down and maybe the horseshoe guide rails would also go up and down to be flush or in a raised position

Flippers only flip in one direction unless they were designing an all new flipper mech. Which they could maybe do if you had two flipper coils in opposite directions pulling a linkage in opposite directions, and the flipper is attached to that. So one coil could pulse it in one direction, the other coil in the other direction, and some springs to establish a center home position through equilibrium. But it seems like this would be very mushy if a ball strikes the flipper hard enough since it’s just springs keeping it in a neutral position.

But they clearly never got that far in figuring out how to make any of the core ideas work.

#30282 2 years ago

OK maybe I am just outing myself as the idiot I am here but I don't understand how the direction of the flippers flipping is an issue here. They still flip the same way as they would in the normal position, you just have to have the software make the right flipper flip when the left button is pressed (for example). What am I missing here?

#30283 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

OK maybe I am just outing myself as the idiot I am here but I don't understand how the direction of the flippers flipping is an issue here. They still flip the same way as they would in the normal position, you just have to have the software make the right flipper flip when the left button is pressed (for example). What am I missing here?

Yeah that works fine

Someone speculated that when the flippers are reversed on the inverted played they might have been able to flip up towards the back of the game. Flippers only go in one direction

Swapping which button triggers the flipper is simple software. Making them flip in either direction is a big engineering task.

#30284 2 years ago

Prints. I wish I had the actual files!

Quoted from yaksplat:

CAD files or prints?

#30285 2 years ago

Just for fun to speculate on: a flipper that could flip up and down could use something like the Hulk mech from Avengers.

4AAA9A80-B48F-47AC-B34D-AFC08AA186DE (resized).jpeg4AAA9A80-B48F-47AC-B34D-AFC08AA186DE (resized).jpeg

Two coils pull a linkage which would move the flipper either direction. Springs for a neutral home.

Possibly with how the windings on the coil are done and controlled, you can have the coils try to balance out each other for a neural home position that doesn’t get knocked down by fast balls.

Edit. Or let’s say one flipper coil uses it hold to keep the flipper “down”, then as the button is pressed it releases the down hold while the other flipper coil power and hold activate to lift it up. Apply the same mirror concept when inverted. It would likely need fans to keep from overheating, but it could work?

#30286 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Some more photos of the Black Hole playfield. I would strongly wager this was just a mock-up and the intent was a moving playfield, though this one is screwed in place since no mech to move it was probably ever made. I also speculate that the standup targets would have been able to raise and lower into the playfield, to allow for the ball to roll over them “standard” play to hit ramps and stuff. The two stand ups in the middle would’ve been blocked by the u-turn shot though.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Who's the guy on the spinner (3rd pic)?

#30287 2 years ago

Barry Oursler

#30288 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

... I don't understand how the direction of the flippers flipping is an issue here. They still flip the same way as they would in the normal position, you just have to have the software make the right flipper flip when the left button is pressed (for example). What am I missing here?

Quoted from TreyBo69:

That was me. If the turntable rotates 180 degrees, then the flippers (being at the top now) would flip down, not up. So that's where I mentioned the inverted flipper mode in Houdini (pressing the flipper button un-energizes the coil, not pressing the flipper button the flippers are energized). I didn't think about the flippers being on opposite sides when rotated tho (easily fixed in software).

Trey pointed out that might not work well since you're relying on the spring to now flip up. Maybe with the smaller PF upper section, that might still work.

Just complete WAGs on my end. Definitely a weird playfield.

#30289 2 years ago

I need some Barry Oursler spinner decals. Put 'em only on the back, so you get an easter egg when you rip it.

#30290 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That was me. If the turntable rotates 180 degrees, then the flippers (being at the top now) would flip down, not up. So that's where I mentioned the inverted flipper mode in Houdini (pressing the flipper button un-energizes the coil, not pressing the flipper button the flippers are energized). I didn't think about the flippers being on opposite sides when rotated tho (easily fixed in software).
Trey pointed out that might not work well since you're relying on the spring to now flip up. Maybe with the smaller PF upper section, that might still work.

You guys are over thinking it. The flippers do flip down when it's flipped.. you're playing the "lower" playfield upside down like on the original black hole. It's just not a lower playfield it's just rotated around.

#30291 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The spring just helps the flipper return to resting position. It would still work the same as before. Just like haunted house and black holes lower playfields where the flippers face you.

Quoted from pinball_ric:

You guys are over thinking it. The flippers do flip down when it's flipped.. you're playing the "lower" playfield upside down like on the original black hole. It's just not a lower playfield it's just rotated around.

Yes, THANK YOU

Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah that works fine
Someone speculated that when the flippers are reversed on the inverted played they might have been able to flip up towards the back of the game. Flippers only go in one direction
Swapping which button triggers the flipper is simple software. Making them flip in either direction is a big engineering task.

OK, I understand then in that hypothesis, but I agree, I don't think thats what they were going for. very interesting gimmick for sure!

#30292 2 years ago

Yeah I’m just speculating on how it could be done. I get they’re normal flippers and it is rotating.

What I don’t get is how you shoot around the stuff in the way to get to the back half of the playfield. It’s so much stuff to get out of the way

#30293 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What I don’t get is how you shoot around the stuff in the way to get to the back half of the playfield. It’s so much stuff to get out of the way

^ This.

That playfield is so ridiculously convoluted that you could retheme it to Black Hole 2: Deeproot.

#30294 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

^ This.
That playfield is so ridiculously convoluted that you could retheme it to Black Hole 2: Deeproot.

Lets keep this going!

Black Hole 2: Deeproot's Quest for Relevance

#30295 2 years ago

Gotta believe this will be must see TV. Assume/hope that the creditors who filed the objection and/or their representatives will do what is needed to get on the agenda.

deeprootcapital-96-2022.04.06.pdfdeeprootcapital-96-2022.04.06.pdf

Fingers crossed Exhibit 15 will be discussed.

#30296 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Gotta believe this will be must see TV. Assume/hope that the creditors who filed the objection and/or their representatives will do what is needed to get on the agenda.
[quoted image]
Fingers crossed Exhibit 15 will be discussed.

Let me put this out there. IF you have information that would be helpful to the cause NOW is the time to bring it.

As for any NDA that might have previously existed and you might feel hesitant to do so because of it you need to understand that Mueller has committed FRAUD and thus the NDA no longer applies. And IF you want to help, NOW is the time.

You can still remain anonymous

#30297 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Lets keep this going!
Black Hole 2: Deeproot's Quest for Relevance

(With a nod to Soundgarden and Deeproot's insolvency) Black Hole Funds

#30298 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Let me put this out there. IF you have information that would be helpful to the cause NOW is the time to bring it.
As for any NDA that might have previously existed and you might feel hesitant to do so because of it you need to understand that Mueller has committed FRAUD and thus the NDA no longer applies. And IF you want to help, NOW is the time.
You can still remain anonymous

Will you be bringing forth information during this hearing and/or asking questions? As I understand it, any participant is allowed to.

Based on how the last one went, I think one needs to reach out to the appropriate party at the court to get onto the agenda. Since you know this legal stuff better than most, would appreciate your guidance on how those interested in bringing forth information should do so for the greatest chance of impact!

#30299 2 years ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

(With a nod to Soundgarden and Deeproot's insolvency) Black Hole Funds

Fed by lies
Undisclosed
And designs that no one knows
Deeproot plays
Boasts five days
And a RAZA-led disgrace

Innovate
Jpop stench
With an octocoupled bench
Pinbar hangs
The whole team
With no magic left to spend

Black hole funds
Take the plunge
And flip them down the drain
Deeproot funds
Take the plunge
Flip the plunge

#30300 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah I’m just speculating on how it could be done. I get they’re normal flippers and it is rotating.

Quoted from yancy:

^ This.
That playfield is so ridiculously convoluted...

Ditto here. Not trying to overthink it (well, maybe some), just trying to figure out what in the heck is going on here!

Even if this could have been made, how can this be even fun to shoot? Just has to be a ton of waiting while the turntable rotates.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 606 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/606?hl=jstoltz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.