Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 7.50.17?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif

Topic index (key posts)

362 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,610 posts in this topic. You are on page 602 of 673.
#30051 2 years ago

Does anyone know where this playfield ended up? It was in the lot I won, but was mysteriously missing when the lot was picked up.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#30052 2 years ago

Is that another "ramp to nowhere" (if you shoot between the horse-shoe)? Or does the ball do a 6-foot drop onto the playfield below?

#30053 2 years ago
Quoted from twazu:

Does anyone know where this playfield ended up? It was in the lot I won, but was mysteriously missing when the lot was picked up.
[quoted image]

Jesus even in bankruptcy deeproot is scamming people.

#30054 2 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Jesus even in bankruptcy deeproot is scamming people.

Not sure we can blame DR for this one - it’s the third party auctioneer company not keeping tabs on people..

#30055 2 years ago
Quoted from Inside:

Not sure we can blame DR for this one - it’s the third party auctioneer company not keeping tabs on people..

We’re a small enough community, it should come to light at some point. I’m hoping it was an accident and hoping the person who ended up with it will do the right thing.

#30056 2 years ago
Quoted from twazu:

[quoted image]

That’s BS - you win and the f’n shit ain’t there. That just sucks.

#30057 2 years ago

That sucks. That makes both Fire & Brimstone mock-ups mysteriously missing since the foam core one was stolen too.

As for The Who and Black Hole playfields. I was gonna try to take some better pics. I can say, since I packed it up, Black Hole is very bare and not much underneath. The Who definitely had some major headway done on it. Lots underneath. There’s two other playfields not pictured yet, but I haven’t been back to my brother’s to sift through it yet.

1AABFA6B-28E2-47D7-96C0-CE41C15A10DF.jpeg1AABFA6B-28E2-47D7-96C0-CE41C15A10DF.jpegABD3A42C-867F-4647-BAE8-D3D19CDEFDD3.jpegABD3A42C-867F-4647-BAE8-D3D19CDEFDD3.jpegC3B16522-BC69-4305-89FB-6E5B08CB07E7.jpegC3B16522-BC69-4305-89FB-6E5B08CB07E7.jpeg
#30058 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

That was one of my favorite episodes. Really cool to hear from a deeproot employee and Kman asked her enough questions and then let her talk. Worth trying a subscription for $5 a month and probably hearing a few more deeproot employee episodes? That’s an easy yes from me.

And its fun to know she's following this thread.
Thanks, Jennifer, best wishes with life after Deeproot.

#30059 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

That sucks. That makes both Fire & Brimstone mock-ups mysteriously missing since the foam core one was stolen too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s incredibly frustrating. Certainly seems like someone was on a mission.

#30060 2 years ago

I believe that you can complain to the auctioneers about stuff missing from lots and they may give you a discount.

#30061 2 years ago

That was one of my favorite episodes. Really cool to hear from a deeproot employee and Kman asked her enough questions and then let her talk. Worth trying a subscription for $5 a month and probably hearing a few more deeproot employee episodes? That’s an easy yes from me.

What do you mean by: "for $5 a month"?

#30062 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballsmith:

His show is behind a paywall on Patreon.

#30063 2 years ago

You have to pay for a subscription and that is the amount each month. I was suggesting signing up for a month or two and then if you don’t like what you hear, cancel. And in either case, tells us what you think about the experience.

#30064 2 years ago

You have to pay for a subscription and that is the amount each month. I was suggesting signing up for a month or two and then if you don’t like what you hear, cancel. And in either case, tells us what you think about the experience.

For Kaneda's podcast?

#30065 2 years ago

For Kaneda's podcast?

Yes. He does a lot of other stories and hype so there is a variety of stuff. A lot of the complaining and begging for stars gets old, but amongst the remaining gunk is something for every taste. This got me thinking of a way to describe the listening experience as kind of psychedelic.

#30067 2 years ago

Yes. He does a lot of other stories and hype so there is a variety of stuff. A lot of the complaining and begging for stars gets old, but amongst the remaining gunk is something for every taste. This got me thinking of a way to describe the listening experience as kind of psychedelic.

Wow, he almost has a perfect 10 year record of scamming people out of money.

#30068 2 years ago

Appreciate his doing the interview (and will look forward to literally hearing from Jennifer for the first time). Definitely interested in listening and glad to wait for when he publishes it to the public feed.

#30069 2 years ago

Title TBD aka Black Hole 2 is amazingly complex. I love its excess

It also seems like when it rotates a lot of stuff is in the way to shoot the black of the playfield? Maybe stuff would move up and down?

Just a super wild idea.

It’s crazy how people just bounced between very ambitious projects and not focusing on finishing a single one.

#30070 2 years ago

You helping to pay with $5 podcast membership towards the $2,500 he still owes after ten years, MR68?

#30071 2 years ago
Quoted from Inside:

There was zero *policing* of the won lots. Anybody could have walked off with anything. Luckily, my stuff isn't considered collectible, so 99.99% of it was there.

#30072 2 years ago

Wednesday around noon my son took a walk through video of the entire place. The Fire & Brimstone machine was still there, I'm 95% certain. I'm going to upload the video to our site this week. I'll post a link in this thread once it is up.

#30073 2 years ago

We’ll get that documentary one day with footage like that.

#30074 2 years ago

Apparently Robert was such a micro-manager he included things like using "poo-pouri" and "don't put your hands in other employees lunches" in the employee handbook. Too bad he couldn't keep his hands off old ladies hard-earned retirement funds... Like KMan or not, that was a good show.

#30075 2 years ago

As all these whitewoods emerge what strikes me most is how varied and incomplete they all are. You look at all of it and think - wow that’s at least 2-3 years from completion. If you need confirmation of a lack of discipline at DR this is the quintessential display.

Engineers don’t manage themselves unfortunately.

It was as if someone said - “do something interesting” and left it at that. Except most of what resulted wasn’t very interesting, or practical. In that vein JPOP was the ideal DR employee. The pinball equivalent of drawing on a sketch pad instead of finishing a work of art.

#30076 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Is that another "ramp to nowhere" (if you shoot between the horse-shoe)? Or does the ball do a 6-foot drop onto the playfield below?

Wasn't there another iteration of that playfield with Noah's ark behind that horseshoe?

#30077 2 years ago

You helping to pay with $5 podcast membership towards the $4,000+ he still owes after ten years, MR68?
[quoted image]

You said he has a ten year history of scamming people out of money. So please account for this past decade of victims you claim. That's what I down voted and now you're changing your story.

As far a the $4000 you claim he owes, I'm unaware of any of it.

Wow, he almost has a perfect 10 year record of scamming people out of money.

K10ys (resized).pngK10ys (resized).png

#30078 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh God I just has a horrible thought - what if Jpop shifts into NFTs?
It's PERFECT for him.

Isn't that what he's been doing for the last ten years now?

#30079 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Isn't that what he's been doing for the last ten years now?

he has..
Never
Finish
Table

#30080 2 years ago
Quoted from twazu:

[quoted image]

That's the early Fire & Brimstone. I guess God took it back.

#30081 2 years ago

As for The Who and Black Hole playfields. I was gonna try to take some better pics. I can say, since I packed it up, Black Hole is very bare and not much underneath. The Who definitely had some major headway done on it. Lots underneath. There’s two other playfields not pictured yet, but I haven’t been back to my brother’s to sift through it yet.

Least we know who was doing the Black Hole one. I can see a lot of Barry Oursler in The Who as well, variations on ideas and shots that were in his unused Heighway work.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#30082 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Title TBD aka Black Hole 2 is amazingly complex. I love its excess
It also seems like when it rotates a lot of stuff is in the way to shoot the black of the playfield? Maybe stuff would move up and down?
Just a super wild idea.
It’s crazy how people just bounced between very ambitious projects and not focusing on finishing a single one.

I don't think it rotates. It looks like one great big lower playfield, angled backwards like the original BH has.

#30083 2 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

As all these whitewoods emerge what strikes me most is how varied and incomplete they all are. You look at all of it and think - wow that’s at least 2-3 years from completion. If you need confirmation of a lack of discipline at DR this is the quintessential display.
Engineers don’t manage themselves unfortunately.
It was as if someone said - “do something interesting” and left it at that. Except most of what resulted wasn’t very interesting, or practical. In that vein JPOP was the ideal DR employee. The pinball equivalent of drawing on a sketch pad instead of finishing a work of art.

I wouldn't put much blame on the designers. They were brought on full-time and told to design a bunch of stuff. Every time Robert would look at something they did, he'd tell them to change a bunch of stuff. Nothing went into production so they had nothing but time to sit around and concept stuff.

#30084 2 years ago

I don't think it rotates. It looks like one great big lower playfield, angled backwards like the original BH has.

It would have to rotate and tilt. Looks like it rotates 180 degrees and can be used as shown ( a smaller play field with flippers hitting back at the player) Then it has to rotate 180 degrees from the position shown and tilt up to mate with the rest of the playfield. Then the flippers shoot away from the player and the upper half of the playfield is available to the player. It has to start in a position opposite of what is shown and it has to rotate otherwise the game has no shooter lane. It would only have a shooter lane when the flippers are rotated to the bottom.

#30085 2 years ago

That's the early Fire & Brimstone.

Where is the late Fire and Brimstone? You know, the one with working mechs that you would expect even a one man home brew operation would have had after several years of full time work on it.

#30086 2 years ago

Did anyone get this?

It seems to be the most advanced version

F07A74CD-878D-4199-BA70-7236760D705A (resized).jpegF07A74CD-878D-4199-BA70-7236760D705A (resized).jpeg

Is this Fire and Brimestone? It’s hard to tell because the one art mock up is similar yet very different.

#30087 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

It would have to rotate and tilt. Looks like it rotates 180 degrees and can be used as shown ( a smaller play field with flippers hitting back at the player) Then it has to rotate 180 degrees from the position shown and tilt up to mate with the rest of the playfield. Then the flippers shoot away from the player and the upper half of the playfield is available to the player. It has to start in a position opposite of what is shown and it has to rotate otherwise the game has no shooter lane. It would only have a shooter lane when the flippers are rotated to the bottom.

I think it just rotates. It’s already tilted.

It seems like you somehow lock a ball somewhere, maybe the lift ramp spiral thing in the top left corner. Then the playfield rotates and spits a ball out. Maybe at the tower to the right of the PF, which also seems where a rotated playfield ball drain is kicked back into play (and maybe for holding multiple balls while the playfield rotates)

I love how it looks like someone spilled a bunch of pop bumper alignment holes on it.

Title TBD did not disappoint

#30088 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Did anyone get this?
It seems to be the most advanced version
[quoted image]
Is this Fire and Brimestone? It’s hard to tell because the one art mock up is similar yet very different.

Definitely looks like a version of F&B, but I don’t recall seeing that around. Who took this pic with it all lit up?

C10C356D-B64D-4788-9B91-91AB20A90486 (resized).jpegC10C356D-B64D-4788-9B91-91AB20A90486 (resized).jpegDB586D5F-918A-4BFF-913E-B267EBFE3B7A (resized).jpegDB586D5F-918A-4BFF-913E-B267EBFE3B7A (resized).jpeg
#30089 2 years ago

Definitely looks like a version of F&B, but I don’t recall seeing that around. Who took this pic with it all lit up?[quoted image][quoted image]

It was part of a photo and video dump from one of my sources several months back

#30090 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think it just rotates. It’s already tilted.
It seems like you somehow lock a ball somewhere, maybe the lift ramp spiral thing in the top left corner. Then the playfield rotates and spits a ball out. Maybe at the tower to the right of the PF, which also seems where a rotated playfield ball drain is kicked back into play (and maybe for holding multiple balls while the playfield rotates)
I love how it looks like someone spilled a bunch of pop bumper alignment holes on it.
Title TBD did not disappoint

It would have to tilt (have adjustable incline) as well. There is no way it could mate with the rest of the playfield at it’s current angle.

#30091 2 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

It would have to tilt (have adjustable incline) as well. There is no way it could mate with the rest of the playfield at it’s current angle.

just depends on how you mount it

#30092 2 years ago

It’s worth noting that we went to pickup stuff on Tuesday last week. Some stuff was picked up on Monday, like the lot with the Gladiator (Space Cadet) playfield. That pf wasn’t in that lot though.

#30093 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I wouldn't put much blame on the designers. They were brought on full-time and told to design a bunch of stuff. Every time Robert would look at something they did, he'd tell them to change a bunch of stuff. Nothing went into production so they had nothing but time to sit around and concept stuff.

Exactly this. People had been shitting so much on the whitewoods, particularly when the potato images started showing up in the thread. "oh those look so dumb. blah blah ramps to nowhere etc". Obviously there's a ton of negativity in this thread (thanks RM) but tearing all the work apart of people that unfortunately got caught up in all it seems like barking up the wrong tree. For one, you really can't judge a final game on a whitewood.. we have no idea how fun or not fun any of these might have been with code, final iterations done, art, music, sfx. The other thing is that most of these were designed by a lot of heralded pin design talent that was brought in. And finally -- a lot of the reason they weren't taken further was because Robert told them all to work on their games but then never game them a proper team to take them beyond foamcore/ and/or whitewoods. And all the redesign lording-over details BS that Robert did as well.. sigh

I'm just saying.. I think it's really cool to see all these whitewoods and I bet they all coulda been fun if finished. I'm not sad to see DR collapse, but of course the scam surrounding that is depressing and unfortunate that all the money used to develop these whitewoods is stolen and kind of taints them all. I'd still love to see homebrewers get a hold of them and iterate on a few. When/if the day comes that some of the designers can say more about them that would be awesome.

#30094 2 years ago

Can you even call these whitewoods? Don’t whitewoods usually flip? Sorry, but regardless of the absolute disaster that is Blobby, I cant help but think that at some point the designers and engineers began to phone it in and just collect paychecks backed by old ladies retirement savings.

Unless someone wants to chime in with info about more complete games that are under wraps somewhere, that is.
I mean, there were 40-50 employees supposedly. What the heck did they do everyday?

#30095 2 years ago

Definitely looks like a version of F&B, but I don’t recall seeing that around. Who took this pic with it all lit up?[quoted image][quoted image]

The “keep what you steal” line has a whole new meaning knowing how robert stole from all those retirees.

#30096 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Don’t whitewoods usually flip?

Not necessarily. Depends on how far along it was and what its intended purpose was.

#30097 2 years ago

most of the whitewoods were put together by designers & technicians while waiting on engineers who were too busy working on the cabinet design and finalizing the "deeproot system". You can even recall Nordman commenting about not being able to get an engineer because they were all busy working on the cabinet.

A little tidbit behind the electronics: The idea was that it would be modular and games would share 90% of the hardware/wiring. We would be able to mass order the cables at certain lengths to save costs and eliminate game specific custom harnesses. You lose on having a lot more connectors and more wires under the playfield but you gain in modularity. Whether or not this was the correct route to pursue is debatable. But that's the route deeproot went.

#30098 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Can you even call these whitewoods? Don’t whitewoods usually flip? Sorry, but regardless of the absolute disaster that is Blobby, I cant help but think that at some point the designers and engineers began to phone it in and just collect paychecks backed by old ladies retirement savings.
Unless someone wants to chime in with info about more complete games that are under wraps somewhere, that is.
I mean, there were 40-50 employees supposedly. What the heck did they do everyday?

You are not wrong. Many of the games were touted as being well past first whitewood stage. If there isn’t a hidden cache of “good stuff” revealed after more deeproot stuff comes up for sale, then it looks very poorly on the Designers. If something / “anything” of value shows up like a 2nd or 3rd level whitewood of some playfields with cool mechs, then the designers are redeemed for leading everybody on.

After Norman left he mentioned not having had a mechanical engineer available, in spite of having designed two titles. If any of his designs were considered to be among the first to be released, then the deeproot experiment is sus. Steal $60M and spend it as fast as possible in a money laundering operation that keeps the wives in an out of jewelry and which ends in a flaming pile of sh!+ streaking actress the Texas night sky that spells out - Robert Mueller Greatest Man in Pinball period

#30099 2 years ago

You are not wrong. Many of the games were touted as being well past first whitewood stage. If there isn’t a hidden cache of “good stuff” revealed after more deeproot stuff comes up for sale, then it looks very poorly on the Designers. If something / “anything” of value shows up like a 2nd or 3rd level whitewood of some playfields with cool mechs, then the designers are redeemed for leading everybody on.
After Norman left he mentioned not having had a mechanical engineer available, in spite of having designed two titles. If any of his designs were considered to be among the first to be released, then the deeproot experiment is sus. Steal $60M and spend it as fast as possible in a money laundering operation that keeps the wives in an out of jewelry and which ends in a flaming pile of sh!+ streaking actress the Texas night sky that spells out - Robert Mueller Greatest Man in Pinball period

we had one cabinet where whitewoods could be dropped into and hooked up for basic flipping. hence why there were many whitewoods with minimal features. the state of the whitewoods was 100% exaggerated by Robert. these were effectively the product of designers and techs who had a lot of free time while waiting on engineers who were busy with other things (see my post above)

#30100 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Can you even call these whitewoods? Don’t whitewoods usually flip?...

At a minimum, you'd think they'd wire up the flippers to double check the shot geometry at some point. Maybe the plunge too if it shoots across the PF (i.e. IMDN style) as opposed to an orbit.

Just a WAG, but that sort of makes sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Austin, TX
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,610 posts in this topic. You are on page 602 of 673.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/602 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.