View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 575 of 672.
#28701 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Poor Steve sounds embarrassed (understandably):

Dear lord...what a piece of shit that game it is.

I feel bad for him. We've all been there...you got a game for sale, works for months, someone comes to buy it...and none of the coils work. This whole weekend must have been completely unbearable for the Deep Root staff. They just wanted to make a pinball machine and got caught up in the Mueller shit show.

"Ok...who's got a magnet on a stick?"

Should have been Deep Root's slogan.

#28702 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dear lord...what a piece of shit that game it is.
I feel bad for him. We've all been there...you got a game for sale, works for months, someone comes to buy it...and none of the coils work. This whole weekend must have been completely unbearable for the Deep Root staff. They just wanted to make a pinball machine and got caught up in the Mueller shit show.

At least nothing has caught fire. Yet, I guess. I'm only five minutes in and there are ten more to go.

#28703 2 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out why they designed the right ramp at such a strange entry angle since you're only hitting it with the left flipper. Almost looks like it's set up to be hit with a different flipper from a more severe angle.

#28704 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I'm still trying to figure out why they designed the right ramp at such a strange entry angle since you're only hitting it with the left flipper. Almost looks like it's set up to be hit with a different flipper from a more severe angle.

Jpop doesn't know how to design playfields. Besides WCS (which he didn't finish himself) all of his games have dumb shots like this.

You ever try to make the right ramp on TOM? It rejects half the time because the geometry is dumb.

The Jpop "legend" is one of the greatest mysteries in pinball. He was a bad designer.

#28705 2 years ago

LMAO at the "VIP Six" breaking out into applause when Steve finally achieves a successful ramp shot on a game with zero working coils besides the flippers and the front leg levelers jacked up.

Besides Mueller I honestly feel bad for everybody involved in this event.

#28706 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Cary Hardy drops all his deeproot footage unedited.

Thank you TheCapn for blessing us with bonus footage.

While unedited, this video is not un-curated. Fuckups and embarrassments abound.

#28707 2 years ago

Wow...not one, but TWO shitty flimsy 90s gottlieb style backbox secure latches. You'd have to remove these every time you move/break down the game, lest they be crushed by the weight of the machine.

These design choices are all horrible. Were they working around patents, or just making dumb choices? Probably both.
raz (resized).jpgraz (resized).jpg

#28708 2 years ago

Baffles me why a company doesn't just put a $2 Bluetooth chip in a game and let owners/operators troubleshoot using a phone app.

Hell, get real fancy and put QR trackers under the PF. Track them with phone camera, tap the screen to test a coil.

Oh right. Pinball is rinky dink, not Apple, Microsoft or Tesla.

#28709 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Baffles me why a company doesn't just put a $2 Bluetooth chip in a game and let owners/operators troubleshoot using a phone app.
Hell, get real fancy and put QR trackers under the PF. Track them with phone camera, tap the screen to test a coil.
Oh right. Pinball is rinky dink, not Apple, Microsoft or Tesla.

Stern basically did this, putting a "pinbar" on your phone and in your pocket and letting users handle it with their own hardware. Obviously a million times smarter and more practical.

#28710 2 years ago

50 new lots added today. This auction is going to be a dizzy doozie (and it kicks off in less than 5 days): https://mtdauctions.hibid.com/catalog/352536/mel-davis-auctions-232---deeproot/?cpage=2&ipp=100

#28711 2 years ago

I think we have a name for the Deep Root netflix doc.

"Who's Got a Magnet on a Stick?: The Deep Root Pinball Story"

#28712 2 years ago

They had what, 3 real designers on staff? Why couldn't any of them veto that right ramp?

Steve Ritchie has a saying "if two people tell ya something sucks, it sucks" Nobody could see that ramp sucked? Or was Johnny Boy more of a Golden Boy than we've been told?

#28714 2 years ago

They have a ton of unused pinball parts some people should bid for. Shaker motors, pop bumper assemblies, switches, wiring. A lot of it in original Marco’s wrappers.

#28715 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

They had what, 3 real designers on staff? Why couldn't any of them veto that right ramp?
Steve Ritchie has a saying "if two people tell ya something sucks, it sucks" Nobody could see that ramp sucked? Or was Johnny Boy more of a Golden Boy than we've been told?

Credited designers on staff:
Oursler
Nordman
Norris
Popadiuk
Mueller

#28716 2 years ago

OK so now that pointing and laughing has subsided after watching the video...I have to ask...

We have two RAZA protos in this auction. Any predictions?

I predict some idiot will be happy to pay $25K with fees/taxes on each of these things. I mean...Magic Girls were trading at $15 K and there's 20 of them.

#28717 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK so now that pointing and laughing has subsided after watching the video...I have to ask...
I predict some idiot will be happy to pay $25K with fees/taxes on these things. I mean...Magic Girls were trading at $15 K and there's 20 of them.

I'll take the over. Big time.

#28718 2 years ago

I'll take the over. Big time.

You gotta make a call dude. $30k? $35?

#28719 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I predict some idiot will be happy to pay $25K with fees/taxes on each of these things. I mean...Magic Girls were trading at $15 K and there's 20 of them.

I bet 50k+

Money is no object anymore... it will flow.

#28720 2 years ago

Just came across a podcast from February that Jeff Teolis recorded with Barry Oursler only a handful of days his passing. Barry speaks some about his designs and time at deeproot.
https://www.pinballprofile.com/episode-337-thank-you-barry-oursler/

So very sad Barry isn't still here as he would now probably be able to discuss some of this now that the pictures are in the public domain.

Another really sad part is he says in that interview that he suffered some setbacks in his treatment because he lost his insurance when Deeproot closed down, just another kick in the sack from the Deeproot fiasco.

#28721 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I bet 50k+
Money is no object anymore... it will flow.

#28722 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Im calling 33K - Lets get a poll going. $5 to get in winnings can go to Barry Oursler Memorial Fund

#28723 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Besides Mueller I honestly feel bad for everybody involved in this event.

As I recall, Deeproot had a couple of lawyers also filming that day and you can see at least two unknown guys filming in the background.
Probably not real lawyers but Robert just labeled them as such as a part of his intimidation efforts.

I wonder where any of that footage is.

#28724 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Another really sad part is he says in that interview that he suffered some setbacks in his treatment because he lost his insurance when Deeproot closed down

This is extremely hard to stomach. On top of all the other ways Mueller ruined or derailed peoples lives, his delusions of running a pinball company actually impacted someone's access to desperately needed health care?

An argument could be made that the healthcare system in the US is partially to blame, and that there may have been other ways Barry could have bridged the insurance gap, but at the end of the day I still hope Mueller feels the guilt for this piece of deeproot fallout. For his debauchery to have such a severe impact on another person's quality of life is nauseating.

#28725 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm gonna guess $38K (before the 18% premium and shipping)

#28726 2 years ago

I'd be shocked if the RAZAs dont go for $50k+. They're infamous and there are plenty of people with dumb money on something like that. Hell, I'd probably pay $25k for the "working" extra edition they had and someone will surely pay double what I would.

#28727 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

hope Mueller feels the guilt

Typically someone that does stuff like this feels no guilt at all and even goes as far as still feeling they did nothing wrong.

#28728 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

I still hope Mueller feels the guilt for this piece of deeproot fallout

After all that has happened, I think it should be clear that he has no shame or guilt.

#28729 2 years ago

I'll amend my statement to read "I hope this is brought up on the record at some point and Mueller is at least forced to hear about it."

I get that he's not a "take responsibility for one's actions" kind of guy, just expressing my (now elevated) disgust.

#28730 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would love to get them. So yes if I could buy them today I would offer 50-60k, and share them with the public to see etc

#28731 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

I would love to get them. So yes if I could buy them today I would offer 50k

EACH?!?!?!

Whomever buys these is getting exactly what they deserve. A shitty design that doesn't work, just like Magic Girl.

#28732 2 years ago

People pay dumb money for rare things with historical context, especially infamous items. If you're a super millionaire pinball collector, it's a neat story in your collection.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EACH?!?!?!
Whomever buys these is getting exactly what they deserve. A shitty design that doesn't work, just like Magic Girl.

#28733 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

So very sad Barry isn't still here as he would now probably be able to discuss some of this now that the pictures are in the public domain.
Another really sad part is he says in that interview that he suffered some setbacks in his treatment because he lost his insurance when Deeproot closed down, just another kick in the sack from the Deeproot fiasco.

i thought the same listening to that podcast. in a subtle way, deeproot sort of killed barry by running a shitty company and closing its doors. you cant just stop cancer therapy, but i get that you cant pay out of pocket when you're not working.

#28734 2 years ago

There are lots of people with more dollars than sense...

This is exactly what allowed Deeproot to do what it did.

Kind of amazing that the biggest rip-off that Deeproot may manage, is to sell the two RAZAs for $50K each.

#28735 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

There are lots of people with more dollars than sense...
This is exactly what allowed Deeproot to do what it did.
Kind of amazing that the biggest rip-off that Deeproot may manage, is to sell the two RAZAs for $50K each.

At least this money - I believe? - will go to creditors, and not towards making more shitty pinball machines/scams.

#28736 2 years ago

All looks like junk to me.

Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I'd be shocked if the RAZAs dont go for $50k+. They're infamous and there are plenty of people with dumb money on something like that. Hell, I'd probably pay $25k for the "working" extra edition they had and someone will surely pay double what I would.

Dumb money or Dumb People ? or does it go hand in hand...

#28737 2 years ago

In my experience, people with "f*ck you money" are highly intelligent but a lot of their decision making doesn't make sense to "normal" folks or even "rich pinball people" who compared to the rest of the country spend a fortune on games.
People spending $15k on a pinball machine would shock 98% of the country. Paying $100k for a pokemon card is the same. Art, classic cars, NFTs etc. all have dumb money in them. I may not agree with how they choose to spend their $$ but typically they did something smart to get it in the first place.

Quoted from NoQuarters:

Dumb money or Dumb People ? or does it go hand in hand...

#28738 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I'd be shocked if the RAZAs dont go for $50k+. They're infamous and there are plenty of people with dumb money on something like that.

That would be sad. They’re worthless. These aren’t “real pinball” collectibles. They’re boxes of shit made by criminals. A real infamous collectible would be something like Kingpin, BBB, King Kong, the unfinished Pinball 2000 protos….one-offs like the Aaron Spelling pin or Loch Ness. Real pins by real companies like Williams, DE, Gottlieb & Capcom.

#28739 2 years ago

At least nothing has caught fire.

You should have been at the "Tech" demo for Capcom's
Pinball Magic.
"I can short this wire to the lamp strobe to simulate a wire
getting snagged on a coil" --- a---A---AND POOF!
And now we have an electrical fire.

#28740 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

In my experience, people with "f*ck you money" are highly intelligent but a lot of their decision making doesn't make sense to "normal" folks or even "rich pinball people" who compared to the rest of the country spend a fortune on games.

I take serious issue that the assertion that all the people buying garbage like Magic Girl or RAZA are all oligarchs with "fuck you money." It honestly doesn't track with what I've seen in my decades in the hobby.

Sure, there's some whales, but you don't have to be rich to make irrational purchases. We've seen people here discuss taking out loans to buy expensive pinball machines.

Hopefully whomever buys these embarrassing paperweights can afford it, or at least can pull of a flip without losing any money.

#28741 2 years ago

Stern should buy these and add them to the wall to show dominance.
microwall.pngmicrowall.png

#28742 2 years ago

Someone with time and a spreadsheet fetish should log all the sale prices and see what the total recovery is. Any guess on the totals? Some of the equipment at the end is pretty pricey. But I think there will be some surprises. I'm in the camp that believes a few of greatwichjohn's white knight rich guys will run the RAZA prototypes up over $50k.

#28743 2 years ago

Those are certainly cooler. For me, I wouldnt mind a Matrix (JM retheme) a qbert, etc. That said, I'm just justifying why I think someone would pay $50k for one machine. I'm not that guy. If I was worth $100MM, maybe I would be. Who knows.

Quoted from Rarehero:

That would be sad. They’re worthless. These aren’t “real pinball” collectibles. They’re boxes of shit made by criminals. A real infamous collectible would be something like Kingpin, BBB, King Kong, the unfinished Pinball 2000 protos….one-offs like the Aaron Spelling pin or Loch Ness. Real pins by real companies like Williams, DE, Gottlieb & Capcom.

#28744 2 years ago

I'll clarify that I'm not asserting my opinion as fact or truth. Merely that there are a significant number of people with 8 and 9 figure net worth who are big into pinball. I cant imagine anyone spending that kind of $$ on a machine like this that hardly works, but when it does sell and for stupid money, I'm going to assume someone who dropped that has a lot more wealth than I do. I cant imagine it would be a smart speculative investment since the game looks like trash and is unlikely to work.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I take serious issue that the assertion that all the people buying garbage like Magic Girl or RAZA are all oligarchs with "fuck you money." It honestly doesn't track with what I've seen in my decades in the hobby.
Sure, there's some whales, but there are also people taking out loans to make dumb purchases.

#28745 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

While they're probably not functional as "real" pinball machines, they're still historical pieces in the history of pinball, and they're still pieces of art (taste notwithstanding). Basically pretty paperweights. But maybe that's what someone would be satisfied with. There's lots of other collectors markets that focus on just buying things for display purposes.

#28746 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

If I was worth $100MM,

If I was worth $100MM, I'd buy all the "games" as a gift to the creditors, and burn them all in a giant bonfire as a gift to the pinball community. Imagine the party.

#28747 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

While they're probably not functional as "real" pinball machines, they're still historical pieces in the history of pinball, and they're still pieces of art (taste notwithstanding). Basically pretty paperweights. But maybe that's what someone would be satisfied with. There's lots of other collectors markets that focus on just buying things for display purposes.

I guess I just don’t see it as a history of pinball. To me, true pinball history is any relic of the pre-2000’s era from real manufacturers. Remnants like RAZA or Predator are basically broken home-brews & don’t really have any inherent collectible value beyond the parts.

#28748 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EACH?!?!?!

Na 60k max for both .

But Not your problem right?? So wy all the fuss.it’s not your money….

If you can see what they did to magic girl to get it playing it also could work for this. And remember that people bought these as pre order so a shitty design made no problems for a lot of people. Besides that it’s a part of history, if it’s bad or good that is not the point. If I would buy them and keep them open for the public and share everything how they build it .

#28749 2 years ago

I was looking at Reddit…found this gem. Any ex-Deeprooters know who your pervy racist homophobic co-worker was?

58D4E83C-6F7D-453F-AFB7-454D05EEEE4B (resized).jpeg58D4E83C-6F7D-453F-AFB7-454D05EEEE4B (resized).jpegA1C3910B-A320-4AEE-A634-FBECD84E7147 (resized).jpegA1C3910B-A320-4AEE-A634-FBECD84E7147 (resized).jpeg

[images removed]
Go to Reddit if you care to see this person’s horrific comment history.

#28750 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Na 60k max for both .
But Not your problem right?? So wy all the fuss.it’s not your money….

You are correct, not my money, my problem nor my concern.

I guess the whole 5-year episode is just so disgusting I have a reflexive revulsion to any effort to somehow resurrect these games. Just seems like time, money, and effort that could go toward a million other more worthy enterprises.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 575 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/575 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.