Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 566 of 672.
#28251 2 years ago

Lock n Chase on Intellivision is like the precursor to Bomberman. Evolution would be pacman, then lock n chase, and then bomberman. Likely not true at all...just my opinion.

#28252 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

They have been surpassed in every possible way.

Atari controllers, paddle and joy stick are still really cool. Using the paddle on warlords was too cool. I wish they'd bring back the rotary encoder on controllers. I think tempest used something like that but I kinda missed out on that arcade. Have never come across one in my lifetime.

#28253 2 years ago
Quoted from denoument:

Lock n Chase on Intellivision is like the precursor to Bomberman. Evolution would be pacman, then lock n chase, and then bomberman. Likely not true at all...just my opinion.

Wow, ok, you just gave me a legit Intellivision flashback memory. There was a Lock'n'Chase & Dr Pepper promotion at my local mall back in the day. I remember playing that game then. So that was a legit "big title" for them.

And does it exist for Amico? lol.

Edit: wow, found this button referencing that exact promotion. I'm certain I had this button.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#28254 2 years ago

Lock n Chase was really fun.

#28255 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

That port was actually done by my friend and former boss Garry Kitchen. He was one of the original Activision guys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Kitchen

Article says he did the 2600 port. Did he do the ColecoVision port too? Someone might need to edit the article.

#28256 2 years ago
Quoted from LateCenturyMods:

Article says he did the 2600 port. Did he do the ColecoVision port too? Someone might need to edit the article.

Well, I thought he did the ColecoVision port, but maybe I'm mistaken (maybe he just did the 2600 port for Coleco). I do know that he did a bunch of stuff that isn't listed there.

#28257 2 years ago

The DR saga has been interesting to follow, but I'm more here for when this thread goes off the rails.

#28258 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Wow, ok, you just gave me a legit Intellivision flashback memory. There was a Lock'n'Chase & Dr Pepper promotion at my local mall back in the day. I remember playing that game then. So that was a legit "big title" for them.
And does it exist for Amico? lol.
Edit: wow, found this button referencing that exact promotion. I'm certain I had this button.[quoted image]

Lock ‘n Chase was a Data East game. Mattel/Intellivision licensed popular arcade games of the time & ported them. Intellivision had Donkey Kong, too. Their own IP was nothing. Tommy talks about Shark Shark like it was some pop culture gaming phenomenon lol. No one cares.

#28259 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I still have the emulator Stella installed somewhere and I can only stand to play any of the 2600 games for a couple minutes at a time now. They have been surpassed in every possible way.
My one exception is Adventure. Still love walking into the programmer's room.

I feel like most of us hated Atari 2600 even when it was what we all had. Even as a small child, I hated how crappy most of the arcade ports were. NES games still hold up. Atari consoles sucked at the time and suck now.

#28260 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I feel like most of us hated Atari 2600 even when it was what we all had. Even as a small child, I hated how crappy most of the arcade posts were. NES games still hold up. Atari consoles sucked at the time and suck now.

Remember how bad the Battlezone port was? Nothing could compare to those vector graphics and the double sticks to control your tank on the arcade version felt totally different. I was so disappointed with Battlezone. That might have been the last new game I bought for the 2600.

Pac-Man was also poorly done but it did have a very easy kids mode that my mom loved. She stayed up all night playing it once.

#28261 2 years ago
Quoted from denoument:

Atari controllers, paddle and joy stick are still really cool. Using the paddle on warlords was too cool. I wish they'd bring back the rotary encoder on controllers. I think tempest used something like that but I kinda missed out on that arcade. Have never come across one in my lifetime.

Loved playing the ice racing game on Atari. And Dogfight. All of the Activision games on the 2600 we're pretty badass!

Did you say you've never seen a Tempest arcade game.

#28262 2 years ago
Quoted from denoument:

As someone who grew up in this time period when the console market roared to life, the Atari controls blew away the Intellivision disc units which seemed to be universally panned. ColecoVision really did make a splash with the Donkey Kong port but I think Atari was well entrenched in the market by that point.

We had all the early stuff- Pong, Combat (which was really cool with dual controls) and a few others.

coleco-telstar-combat (resized).jpgcoleco-telstar-combat (resized).jpg
#28263 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

As someone who grew up in this time period when the console market roared to life, the Atari controls blew away the Intellivision disc units which seemed to be universally panned. ColecoVision really did make a splash with the Donkey Kong port but I think Atari was well entrenched in the market by that point.
We had all the early stuff- Pong, Combat (which was really cool with dual controls) and a few others. [quoted image]

For me, once the Colecovision came out, it was over for the 2600. I did own a 5200 and rig was sweet. But the controllers, not self centering? That was weird..

#28264 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

For me, once the Colecovision came out, it was over for the 2600. I did own a 5200 and rig was sweet. But the controllers, not self centering? That was weird..

Atari got a lot of heat for those 5200 controllers. I seem to recall Sega coming out with Sonic in this time frame and blowing people away. Not sure how much market they had though but clearly Atari beat the 2600 for far too long at this point.

#28265 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Atari got a lot of heat for those 5200 controllers. I seem to recall Sega coming out with Sonic in this time frame and blowing people away. Not sure how much market they had though but clearly Atari beat the 2600 for far too long at this point.

Yep went through quite a few controllers on the 5200.. and Yea, Sonic on the Sega was another game changer. Then Nintendo!

#28266 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Sonic came out like 9 years after the Atari 5200.

#28267 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Sonic came out like 9 years after the Atari 5200.

That looks to be correct.

I recall seeing both in Toy R Us and may just be confusing the dates when seen. The was A LOT of hardware that came out in this period of time.

Kids now are used to seeing game systems every few years, we were being belted with stuff by the month. Everyone was getting into the game business and either selling a stand alone game, systems or like Sears making or licensing someone else.

#28268 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If you're this Tommy bloke you should look at the Atari VCS console (which amazingly, DID get released) and then assume 1/6th the sales of that.. and then give up.
Atari is the only thing from that era with even a remotely relevant mass market nostalgia, and in reality it peaked 20 years ago when I was making all those portables.
The name Intellivision means nothing, making this just another Leapfrog LCD game box from China.

Lets also not forget about the Colecovision Chameleon. Another failed console trying to cash in on nostalgia that was full of red flags and turned out to be a giant scam.

#28269 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Lets also not forget about the Colecovision Chameleon. Another failed console trying to cash in on nostalgia that was full of red flags and turned out to be a giant scam.

In pinball scams,

The Amico is deeproot. Flawed product that’s been designed yet can’t get built

The Chameleon is Skit-B. Never had a chance of being a legitimate product, let alone built.

#28270 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:In pinball scams,
The Amico is deeproot. Flawed product that’s been designed yet can’t get built
The Chameleon is Skit-B. Never had a chance of being a legitimate product, let alone built.

A few of the same players involved. I used to casually know Mike Kennedy from arcade auctions and retro events. Ate breakfast with him once lol…then when I saw he was the man behind Coleco Chameleon I was like “what in the F’ing F”.

#28271 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A few of the same players involved. I used to casually know Mike Kennedy from arcade auctions and retro events. Ate breakfast with him once lol…then when I saw he was the man behind Coleco Chameleon I was like “what in the F’ing F”.

Didn’t the whole company spring up because someone found a warehouse of unused Atari Jaguar shells or something?

They also remind me of Homepin. No code updates is a feature!

#28272 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Didn’t the whole company spring up because someone found a warehouse of unused Atari Jaguar shells or something?

I’m not sure if it was unused shells, or if Mike bought the original Jaguar shell mold/tooling.

#28273 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I mean...Sega did. Then Sony did.
"Steam Deck" just sounds like a place where you go and poop.
The PC gamers just never get it...Nintendo is successful because of their beloved IP. Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Metroid, etc. Most people, especially people who like Nintendo, don't obsess about TECH. Nintendo's art direction, gameplay and sound transcend gigaflops or whatever.

Thought about this post last night playing Mario Cart and Wipeout in the Wii. Mario Cart is "funner" than most games on the market to this day. IMO. Wipeout is great family fun and good lord it's a workout too! Thinking about a Switch now LOL.

#28274 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Reminds me of this:

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
#28275 2 years ago

Oh god. The Chameleon made the Amico look like the iPod.

Such a huge scam - he took pictures of a clear case Jaguar unit, it only took the internet 300ms to realize the PCB inside was a video capture card.

The he takes it to a show and it only takes the internet another 500ms to realize he crammed a SNES mini inside.

Mike thought all the magic was because of cartridges. He didn't understand that you can't create nostalgia.

#28276 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Mike thought all the magic was because of cartridges. He didn't understand that you can't create nostalgia.

People who like retro like cartridges even if they’re not old. The Evercade portable & Vs. seem to be doing things right for a “modern retro” console. Low-priced platform with low-priced officially licensed compilation cartridges.

#28277 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I do sometimes drink a 12 pack or more of Schooner or Bud on a good night!

explains a lot

#28278 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People who like retro like cartridges even if they’re not old. The Evercade portable & Vs. seem to be doing things right for a “modern retro” console. Low-priced platform with low-priced officially licensed compilation cartridges.

I like retro so I buy retro products like the Analogue Pocket. I don’t actually like cartridges…

Still waiting on the jailbreak for the Pocket to ditch the flash cart

#28279 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like retro so I buy retro products like the Analogue Pocket. I don’t actually like cartridges…
Still waiting on the jailbreak for the Pocket to ditch the flash cart

I’m with you 100%. But lots of retro buyers love having collections of shit on shelves.

#28280 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m with you 100%. But lots of retro buyers love having collections of shit on shelves.

Don't give my dog any ideas, it's bad enough that I have a big shit collection in the backyard.

#28281 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Can confirm, had shelves filled with shit. Even bought a neo geo X gold when it came out. Thank God I am finally clearing shit out. Now I can fill my basement with pinball machines like a civilized adult

#28282 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

like this guy?

73A1CE79-DFD4-4FA2-B2CF-CF37F468AB1F.jpeg73A1CE79-DFD4-4FA2-B2CF-CF37F468AB1F.jpeg
#28283 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

like this guy?
[quoted image]

That would be a great post for the funny captions.

#28284 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Did you say you've never seen a Tempest arcade game.

Yep. I'm younger than I pretend to be.

#28285 2 years ago
deeproot-sec-45-2022.02.22.pdfdeeproot-sec-45-2022.02.22.pdf
#28286 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I’m not sure if it was unused shells, or if Mike bought the original Jaguar shell mold/tooling.

From what I heard a number of years ago, Atari let the licensing/patent on the Jaguar mold lapse into public domain. Last I knew, anybody is still free to use it for whatever they want. Nothing says "custom built retro console" like preexisting parts that took zero effort and zero money to obtain and look like an older failed console!

#28287 2 years ago

I have a natural curiosity about people and assume I might not be alone on that. If you've ever wondered about the judge in this case beyond his signature, here he is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier_Rodriguez

Xavier Rodriguez (resized).jpgXavier Rodriguez (resized).jpg
#28288 2 years ago

I'm a little disappointed he doesn't have a nick-name like, The Hanging Judge or Xavier the Executioner.

#28289 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm a little disappointed he doesn't have a nick-name like, The Hanging Judge or Xavier the Executioner.

In college he was known as X-man the Sex-man but it didn't seem proper once he graduated law school

#28290 2 years ago

First we gonna rock, then we gonna roll
Then we let it pop, go, let it go
X gon' give it to ya (uh), he gon' give it to ya
X gon' give it to ya (uh), he gon' give it to ya

(I thought about changing the lyrics but DMX rhymes blow)

#28291 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

As long as he puts Bobby Derps in prison, he can have a boring name.

#28292 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

In college he was known as X-man the Sex-man but it didn't seem proper once he graduated law school

A bullet point with some folks.

#28293 2 years ago

I thought of another judge name for him.
Death Row Rodriguez.

Ok, I'll stop now

#28294 2 years ago

Oh God I had that Neo Geo X portable thing in my Amazon cart so many times... Never pulled the trigger. Glad I didn't, heard it sucked.

Now a Neo Geo 1Up.... That's some particle board I might actually let into my home :0

#28295 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh God I had that Neo Geo X portable thing in my Amazon cart so many times... Never pulled the trigger. Glad I didn't, heard it sucked.
Now a Neo Geo 1Up.... That's some particle board I might actually let into my home :0

There's a 1up-type thing called Neo Geo MVSX. Similar concept. It's a countercade that you can buy a stand for, to make it a full standup arcade.

#28296 2 years ago

I think that I'm going to stop signing letters with "Sincerely", and start using "It is so ORDERED".

#28297 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I think that I'm going to stop signing letters with "Sincerely", and start using "It is so ORDERED".

Don't forget to talk like it's 1776!

#28298 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

"--and may it please the court."

#28299 2 years ago

Minor bankruptcy case filing that will save some trees

deeprootcapital-74-2022.03.01.pdfdeeprootcapital-74-2022.03.01.pdf

Anyone recall what the next upcoming dates of note are for this or the SEC case? I was mostly away for a couple weeks and my deeproot brain is far from operating at octo efficiency.

#28300 2 years ago

I dunno. All the magic of this thread is gone for me. Now it's like watching a turd slowly slide down the side of a toilet bowl...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 566 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/566 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.