• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 545 of 669.
#27201 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Anyhow, who else is excited to celebrate the first year anniversary of the RAZA preorder opening? Get your finest memes ready, it'll be an extravaganza!

Knowing what we know now about the state of things when they started taking orders, this is definitely Fyre Festival territory.

#27202 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Instead of demanding manufacturing updates, it's people demanding legal updates. (And always getting in the way of our sweet corn talk)
Anyhow, who else is excited to celebrate the first year anniversary of the RAZA preorder opening? Get your finest memes ready, it'll be an extravaganza!

drake_meme (resized).pngdrake_meme (resized).png
#27203 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The crazy thing is you could easily do a 2 hour sequel covering all of the shit that's come out since then.
I nominate Blueberryjohnson!

I'd be glad to. Let me know if those guys want to do a part two.

#27204 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I'd be glad to. Let me know if those guys want to do a part two.

Will do!

#27205 2 years ago

Could someone post another link here to that podcast?
I know it's somewhere in this thread but I haven't found it - and the thread is far too large to search easily.
Maybe they could make it a "key post" also?
Thanks.

#27206 2 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Could someone post another link here to that podcast?
I know it's somewhere in this thread but I haven't found it - and the thread is far too large to search easily.
Maybe they could make it a "key post" also?
Thanks.

https://player.fm/series/the-worst-of-all-possible-worlds/emergency-pod-deeproot-pinball-ponzi-feat-levi-nayman

Sounds like a Blueberry Johnson sequel/update is in the works!!!

#27207 2 years ago

With Pre-voting open for the TWIPY awards can we all rally behind the cause of getting RAZA on the nomination list for "best homebrew"? I think that we can all agree that there are more deserving projects to actually win the award (e.g. Sonic Spinball), but it would be quite funny & a bookend to the saga if RAZA was read out as one of the nominees on awards night.

All you need to do is vote here:
https://twipys.com/

There is space to also nominate other homebrew projects to be added to the list. The outcome of this is that once the nominees are determined, then the voting on who should win the award begins.

#27208 2 years ago

Yay! 5 months of half the people on my facebook feed begging for TWIPPY votes.

Would be nice if they could shorten this up to a week or so?

#27209 2 years ago

Didn't twipys used to have best publication? Wanted to submit this thread for that category but it's not listed

#27210 2 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

With Pre-voting open for the TWIPY awards can we all rally behind the cause of getting RAZA on the nomination list for "best homebrew"?

No! I can't imagine anything more insulting to the people who pour their hearts and souls and own money into their homebrew projects. They deserve to be appreciated and celebrated, not insulted. Please bury this idea completely.

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#27211 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Robert found a new way to pay off all his child support during the trial:[quoted image]

Hilarious. Im kinda new to the whole Deepthroat, I mean Deeproot scandal and my wife and I keep asking the same question, why didnt other employees like Steve Bowden ever say anything? How could they not know what was going on? I realize these things have been talked about a million times over but I was kind of purposely staying out of it and have only recently started reading threads and listening to old podcasts on this entire train wreck of a story. Any thread page references would be helpful so I can just go straight to them for info.

#27212 2 years ago
Quoted from Hoteldrummer:

Hilarious. Im kinda new to the whole Deepthroat, I mean Deeproot scandal and my wife and I keep asking the same question, why didnt other employees like Steve Bowden ever say anything? How could they not know what was going on? I realize these things have been talked about a million times over but I was kind of purposely staying out of it and have only recently started reading threads and listening to old podcasts on this entire train wreck of a story. Any thread page references would be helpful so I can just go straight to them for info.

They didn't talk probably due to NDA, respect, and hope among other things. Its been discussed countless times. There is a key post reference toward the top of the page.

#27213 2 years ago

The “Why didn’t Bowden speak out and save us all from Mueller?!” Thing has got to be the strangest and most misplaced angle of this entire episode.

I really don’t get it. He was a paid employee of Deep Root, and was under zero obligation to “speak out” and tell people deep Root sucked. Not in his job description. Don’t see why people want to keep trying to foist this off on him.

If something ain’t going so swimmingly at your job is your first instinct to head to the internet and tell the world about it? Seems like a great way to keep getting a paycheck.

And if you think he had some inside knowledge that this was a flat out criminal enterprise while he was working there, I hope you have some evidence to back that up.

#27214 2 years ago

why didnt other employees like Steve Bowden ever say anything?

I work at a normal company (with profits) that isn't run by lawyers, and we're not even allowed to talk about why people left a company. If you work in an office, you're very aware of the boilerplate email "This ____ employee no longer works for ________ company. If you have any ongoing projects, please see ____ since they will be temporary taking over their tasks at this time".
That's just how it is in the corporate world.

#27215 2 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

No! I can't imagine anything more insulting to the people who pour their hearts and souls into their homebrew projects. They deserve to be appreciated and celebrated, not insulted. Please bury this idea completely.
- Gerry

Hi Gerry,
I don't want RAZA to win. Sonic Spinball in my opinion is a far superior & more innovative game.

If RAZA doesn't belong in the category of Homebrew, then what category should it be assessed in? The game never made it to production.

Stuart

#27216 2 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

Hi Gerry,
I don't want RAZA to win. Sonic Spinball in my opinion is a far superior & more innovative game.
If RAZA doesn't belong in the category of Homebrew, then what category should it be assessed in? The game never made it to production.
Stuart

"Most purportedly innovative games dreamt of by a gaggle of assholes" among many others come to mind. (and by gaggle, I mean two)

#27217 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

They didn't talk probably due to NDA, respect, and hope among other things. Its been discussed countless times. There is a key post reference toward the top of the page.

Again, I know it has been talked about, just finally decided to jump in and research this entire thing. Thank you for the info on the reference

#27218 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The “Why didn’t Bowden speak out and save us all from Mueller?!” Thing has got to be the strangest and most misplaced angle of this entire episode.
I really don’t get it. He was a paid employee of Deep Root, and was under zero obligation to “speak out” and tell people deep Root sucked. Not in his job description. Don’t see why people want to keep trying to foist this off on him.
If something ain’t going so swimmingly at your job is your first instinct to head to the internet and tell the world about it? Seems like a great way to keep getting a paycheck.
And if you think he had some inside knowledge that this was a flat out criminal enterprise while he was working there, I hope you have some evidence to back that up.

You're going to tell me that if YOU worked there and saw there was NO manufacturing and NO REAL intentions of manufacturing the games that YOU KNEW people put money on, you would have the attitude of why should I say anything? Give me a damn break. Would you feel fine with getting a paycheck knowing its coming from a company that is lying and STEALING from people? You can say he didnt know or do I have evidence to back that up, but seriously, to think he didnt know or any other employee didnt know is insane. You really think NOBODY knew? BS!!!!

As for Steve, he got hired by another company which says he could have been hired by another company all along, why would staying to get a paycheck be the reason you completely ignore that there is NO manufacturing going on and you are doing streams of playing the game like everything is normal. If anyone was doing code for the game, doing marketing, doing ANYTHING, the damn janitor would be curious as to what is going on with the final product. But you, like everyone is just all about saying, "he such a great guy", and "he didnt know", and whatever else, F'ning nonsense. He knew, you know it, we know it, everyone knows it. He was under no obligation to speak out is the biggest sack of crap excuse ever made up. Just because you are under no obligation doesn't mean you shouldn't if you have a conscience!!! So if my neighbor is getting robbed and I see it, yeah, I have no obligation to call the cops, but I will! What a lazy response

#27219 2 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

No! I can't imagine anything more insulting to the people who pour their hearts and souls and own wallets into their homebrew projects. They deserve to be appreciated and celebrated, not insulted. Please bury this idea completely.
- Gerry

Gerry, I think this is my first time upvoting one of your posts!

I completely agree Gerry. It still bothers me that DR is listed under Game Manufacturers....

Vote Sonic Spinball... go fast... w/ FAST!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#27221 2 years ago

I never saw a reason to choose sides in the P3 vs Fast rivalry but this comment is certainly enlightening.

Quoted from fastpinball:

Gerry, I think this is my first time upvoting one of your posts!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"b41e1c39eb6311020f8f0560f3d311b35cece3d2-1638403710-1800"};
//]]>

I completely agree Gerry. It still bothers me that DR is listed under Game Manufacturers....
Vote Sonic Spinball... go fast... w/ FAST!
Aaron
FAST Pinball

#27222 2 years ago
Quoted from Compy:Deleted post

Yikes guys, I was having some fun with the fact that many people assume Gerry and I to always be at odds, but sometimes we can agree.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#27223 2 years ago

You're going to tell me that if YOU worked there and saw there was NO manufacturing and NO REAL intentions of manufacturing the games that YOU KNEW people put money on, you would have the attitude of why should I say anything? Give me a damn break. Would you feel fine with getting a paycheck knowing its coming from a company that is lying and STEALING from people? You can say he didnt know or do I have evidence to back that up, but seriously, to think he didnt know or any other employee didnt know is insane. You really think NOBODY knew? BS!!!!
As for Steve, he got hired by another company which says he could have been hired by another company all along, why would staying to get a paycheck be the reason you completely ignore that there is NO manufacturing going on and you are doing streams of playing the game like everything is normal. If anyone was doing code for the game, doing marketing, doing ANYTHING, the damn janitor would be curious as to what is going on with the final product. But you, like everyone is just all about saying, "he such a great guy", and "he didnt know", and whatever else, F'ning nonsense. He knew, you know it, we know it, everyone knows it. He was under no obligation to speak out is the biggest sack of crap excuse ever made up. Just because you are under no obligation doesn't mean you shouldn't if you have a conscience!!! So if my neighbor is getting robbed and I see it, yeah, I have no obligation to call the cops, but I will! What a lazy response

Ok, who ordered the unhinged rant? It wasn’t me and there’s a delivery guy at the door who wants 20 bucks.

#27224 2 years ago

All the whatabouts and what ifs are all just hindsight and armchair quarterbacking.

When you're an employee under an NDA, and employed by someone known for going after people that violate agreements, and is also a lawyer, and also has deep pockets, it's obviously in your own best self interest to keep your trap shut, especially if you don't have a mountain of irrefutable evidence. Being on the wrong end of that situation can be ruinous.

That said, do you have proof that people knew what was actually going on at the time? And not just the insinuation that people *should have* known?

If you've ever worked in the corporate world, you'll know that the company leadership tends to shower BS on everybody, but as long as paychecks keep coming, most employees just open up their umbrellas and just keep grinding away.

Aside from some enthusiastic believers, most of us outside observers had an inkling a lot of things weren't right, and thus steered clear and tried to warn potential/actual preorder buyers many times. But there wasn't much actual proof there...just a bunch of warning signs we've seen before from other collapsing companies.

#27225 2 years ago

You're going to tell me that if YOU worked there and saw there was NO manufacturing and NO REAL intentions of manufacturing the games that YOU KNEW people put money on, you would have the attitude of why should I say anything? Give me a damn break. Would you feel fine with getting a paycheck knowing its coming from a company that is lying and STEALING from people?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
Prove that any worker there KNEW there was no manufacturing and never would be. Of course you can't. As with every other company that has ever existed they would have put their own positive spin on any setbacks and made excuses.

You write like you've never had a job. Most people go to work and do the best they can, trusting that it will work out in the end. It's pretty rare that fraud happens on a massive scale and when it does most employees can look back on weird stuff that didn't seem too exceptional at the time.

#27226 2 years ago

If another company release this RAZA with his original freatures, this will be an instant buy for me !

#27227 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjlp:

If another company release this RAZA with his original freatures, this will be an instant buy for me !

I'm thinking of starting a new pinball company to create an "even better" version of RAZA!

A $5K deposit now will preserve your place in line!

This edition will be exclusively limited to only the number that can be sold.

#27228 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjlp:

Bro... come on...

I am sure another "company" with "real life manufacturing" and a "factory" would be happy to take your money....

#27229 2 years ago

Weren't you just saying you didn't care to read the 540+ pages of this thread to get the full story? Doesn't seem like great timing for an accusatory tirade where you make assumptions about what the employees actually knew at any point in this very long, very complicated timeline.

We all have the benefit of hindsight here thanks to a lot of people *finally* speaking up about their experiences working at deeproot. It's extremely unfair to judge the employees based on what we now know.

#27230 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

It's extremely unfair to judge the employees based on what we now know.

It reminds me of how the average World War 2 buff knows far more today than the generals knew during the war. I agree, I'm not going to retroactively argue anything.

#27231 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It reminds me of how average World War 2 buffs know far more today than the generals knew during the war.

Some people don't like "carguments" applied to pinball.
Now we finally have a "wargument" used on Pinside.

#27232 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

but as long as paychecks keep coming, most employees just open up their umbrellas and just keep grinding away.

But… it’s been made pretty apparent that the paychecks did not “keep coming”..

#27233 2 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

But… it’s been made pretty apparent that the paychecks did not “keep coming”..

Sure, which prompted some to leave.

#27234 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjlp:

I am releasing RAZA.

Please wire transfer me $12,000 US.

Thanks!

#27235 2 years ago

Some company will inevitably buy it from the fire sale and try and make it.

Sigh.

#27236 2 years ago

How would propose that version be abbreviated in the Pinside database? RAZAR (Redeux) or RAZA3 (3rd try) or RAZAr (remake) or RAZAv (vault), RAZAp (prison edition) or RAZAc (CON edition). If someone does buy the rights and tries to make the game, a naming contest would be a big hit.

#27237 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How would propose that version be abbreviated in the Pinside database? RAZAR (Redeux) or RAZA3 (3rd try) or RAZAr (remake) or RAZAv (vault), RAZAp (prison edition) or RAZAc (CON edition). If someone does buy the rights and tries to make the game, a naming contest would be a big hit.

RAZASOY

As in RAZA Shame on You for considering putting money on it edition.

#27238 2 years ago

Steve knowing the full details is an assumption. Maybe some people knew a little or started putting two and two together, although the misinformation being fed to employees may have marginalized issues or made them seem temporary to keep Deeproot going.

Having been in a prior job situation that didn't end well, there were some gray area things we did with software as a very small company to get by. However, the pay was good at the time, I was young, and I didn't know how shoestring things were until my boss walked in and said "I can't afford to pay you anymore." I was looking for another job, although I would have been more active in my search had I known the full details.

A good paycheck (While they lasted) and the excitement of working for a pinball manufacturer combined with the feed of misinformation may have been blinders.

So if my neighbor is getting robbed and I see it, yeah, I have no obligation to call the cops, but I will! What a lazy response

In reality, whistleblowing is not always as morally cut and dry as your example. What if the person doing the robbery was family, spouse, or a really close friend? It doesn't make stealing right, although it makes the moral decision harder of immediately calling the police as opposed to maybe stopping that robbery attempt and turning a blind eye to that incident.

What if the person is wearing a work uniform and driving a branded vehicle like a locksmith van? Is it still 100% clear it's an actual robbery? What about a repo truck and carrying out appliances and furniture? If a Deeproot employee saw questionable things, but didn't know the full extent of details that we know about now, are they going to alert authorities based entirely on conjecture when they still have reasonable doubt?

There are some protections for whistleblowers, although is it worth the risk of personal negative publicity, the stigma it carries for future potential employers, or the legal risk of violating an NDA? The owner was a lawyer and regularly threatened litigation.

Can someone afford to potentially not have any income for a period of time until a full investigation comes through with a whistleblower payout? What about all of the innocent people at Deeproot that could end up losing their jobs?

"If you see something, say something" only works to a point.

#27239 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I am releasing RAZA.
Please wire transfer me $12,000 US.
Thanks!

No way! I'm not sending any money without a release date.

#27240 2 years ago

The new company that I was dealing with for pinball production has gone silent, & the other had a business fall out. Still talking with others interested in entering the hot market. Those are not involved with Deeproot. So you never know what might happen with what may have been done over the years if some new group buys up stuff cheap.

#27241 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

The new company that I was dealing with for pinball production has gone silent, & the other had a business fall out. Still talking with others interested in entering the hot market. Those are not involved with Deeproot. So you never know what might happen with what may have been done over the years if some new group buys up stuff cheap.

Good luck with that...

#27242 2 years ago

At this point, I would say RAZA is not only a dead horse, but the most toxic asset a company would want their name associated with going forward. Seriously how many of these would sell? We already have a list of 155 poor souls and you need to sell multiple hundreds if not thousands more before its worth it. You would be better off developing a whole new title to try and launch a pinball manufacturing company.

#27243 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Weren't you just saying you didn't care to read the 540+ pages of this thread to get the full story? Doesn't seem like great timing for an accusatory tirade where you make assumptions about what the employees actually knew at any point in this very long, very complicated timeline.
We all have the benefit of hindsight here thanks to a lot of people *finally* speaking up about their experiences working at deeproot. It's extremely unfair to judge the employees based on what we now know.

It reads like a great story. Tons of characters and action in every chapter. Plenty of drama and humor. It builds to a final climax but then of course you now know the ending…

#27244 2 years ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

It builds to a final climax but then of course you now know the ending…

I don't think we've seen the ending just yet.

Maybe Robert will just get a slap on the wrist, pay a $1000 fine, and start a new company called "Deeper Root" (or maybe that should be "Deep Rooter").

"Now with dodecahedron-manufacturing!"

#27245 2 years ago

Hey remember Duke Nukem Forever? 3D Realms spent 12 years on it. Chasing trends, it was never good enough. Company folded, some ex-employees and Gearbox finally finished it. Result? A middling game at best.

Again, someone will be dumb enough to try. Buy the 2 prototypes, take it to shows, see if there's interest. No one has said this game is amazing gem that needs to be seen, best we get is ".....fun"

#27246 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Hey remember Duke Nukem Forever? 3D Realms spent 12 years on it. Chasing trends, it was never good enough. Company folded, some ex-employees and Gearbox finally finished it. Result? A middling game at best.
Again, someone will be dumb enough to try. Buy the 2 prototypes, take it to shows, see if there's interest. No one has said this game is amazing gem that needs to be seen, best we get is ".....fun"

Should have stayed vaporware.

#27247 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

People actually wanted another Duke Nukem game though and there are fans of the Duke franchise. Who TF gives a crap about a carnival with zombies and aliens no name IP? barely anyone before and probably even less now.

#27248 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yea but the difference is duke nukem had quite a following. Started as a pretty nice 2d side scrolling (FREEWARE), and created a pretty amazing 3d game (weapons not seen in most games, and network multiplayer over phone lines). Their downfall was mostly caused by releasing a demo video far ahead of a finished game, and time killed any excitement. I was a big fan of the game, but after reading reviews I couldn't even bring myself to pay the $7 it sold for on amazon a year later (I really should buy it at some point to see how bad it is).

Nothing John did on his own ever went anywhere, which is why the stink on this game will only continue to get worse as it drags on. I mean we are literally 10 years now since zidware began.

#27249 2 years ago

I am waiting for the audio release of the SEC deposition of RM. It has been fascinating listening to those recordings on the Drop Out podcast where Elizabeth Holmes would seem to have the worst memory of any thirty something on record.

Assuming this goes to trial I guess RMs lawyer will invoke the JPOP defense. In the JPOP defense Robert was unaware of what was going on day to day and relied on JPOP to give him accurate information.

It’s like the Chewbacca defense but even lamer.

#27250 2 years ago

interested in entering the hot market

Feels like people trying to cash in on the "hot pinball market" are waving a pretty big red flag.

So far I think we've seen two distinct angles. One angle is some belief there is a pinball gold mine to be had and another angle is the popularity angle, where people want to run a pinball company or be in charge of design because they want to be "celebrities".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 545 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/545 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.