Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 540 of 672.
#26951 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Picked up lots more interesting tidbits this week. Touching base with folks to see what is ok to disclose how. Hope to be able to deliver a weekend treat.

Will the mystery of Farewell Dinosaur Entertainment finally be revealed?

#26952 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Will the mystery of Farewell Dinosaur Entertainment finally be revealed?

I'll circle back on that one to see if it's cool or not.

#26953 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I'll circle back on that one to see if it's cool or not.

Huzzah

I'm hoping it was Robert being a blowhard about killing the dinosaurs of the industry. The non butt logo is a comet hitting the planet afterall...

#26954 2 years ago

Rumor has it Food Truck was completed...

Somebody has to make a Fyre Fest-like doco of this...

#26955 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

This is very much not what I've been told!

#26956 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Define “completed”

#26957 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Define “completed”

If completed means are finished, then all 23 deeproot games have been completed.

#26958 2 years ago

“Completed” for Deeproot means “art is done”

#26959 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

“Completed” for Deeproot means “art is done”

There's more to a pinball machine than art? - Jpop (probably)

#26960 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

“Completed” for Deeproot means “Art is done.”

And since Art is the night shift janitor who used to sweep up at deeproot after hours . . .

#26961 2 years ago

New minor/boring SEC filing. Bobby again wants longer to respond and his lawyer says the SEC is cool with it.

sec-2021.11.12.pdfsec-2021.11.12.pdf

I don't know why this one didn't show up on courtlistener after I purchased it like others have.

#26962 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

What would be a decent retheme?

#26963 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

What would be a decent retheme?

91yuosvHUHL._SY445_ (resized).jpg91yuosvHUHL._SY445_ (resized).jpg

Custom callouts by John Leguizamo

#26964 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

And Art is the night shift janitor who used to sweep up at deeproot after hours.

Not sure about that. They had the janitor job posting up for a long time.

#26965 2 years ago

That Chef DVD reminds me... I kind of want one of those large flat top grill cookers.

I miss cooking on them. Back when I was 20 and working in restaurants. I like how much surface area can be devoted to cooking.

#26966 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I miss cooking on them. Back when I was 20 and working in restaurants.

I hear now's a great time to be looking for work in the food-service sector. They could probably have you in an apron and hairnet by noon tomorrow.

#26967 2 years ago

I could see Jpop working in a Pancake House making purple flap jacks.

#26968 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That Chef DVD reminds me... I kind of want one of those large flat top grill cookers.
I miss cooking on them. Back when I was 20 and working in restaurants. I like how much surface area can be devoted to cooking.

Get a Blackstone. I have one and they are awesome.

63313e8d-927e-4ebd-b2bf-269672bd81d1_1.2777d985fa9cdc1afbd2f3738474afb3 (resized).jpeg63313e8d-927e-4ebd-b2bf-269672bd81d1_1.2777d985fa9cdc1afbd2f3738474afb3 (resized).jpeg
#26969 2 years ago

Isn’t that basically a grill without a lid?

#26970 2 years ago

Yeah that's the brand I was looking at.

It's a flat cooking surface (no open flame) so you can cook a wide variety of things with it.

#26971 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Deeproot bought manufacturing equipment. It wasn't just finally assembly of outside parts. CNC machine, SMD parts picker, etc... while clearly billing themselves as a manufacturer of pinball machines in their San Antonio facility. (Back when we used to speculate they'd build them in Mexico to bring down costs)
As the record as shown, always lean towards incompetence and/or Robert thinking he figured out a way to game the system.

Occams razor. We always over think it, when the simplest solution is usually the most valid. We thought RM had some sort of plan early. Clearly RM is a straight up idiot crook, no special talents needed.

#26972 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Occams razor. We always over think it, when the simplest solution is usually the most valid. We thought RM had some sort of plan early. Clearly RM is a straight up idiot crook, no special talents needed.

I think we are selling him short. Super idiot crook, not just straight up idiot crook.

Straight up idiot crook takes $1M and never produces anything. Super idiot crook takes $40M and never produces anything.

The amazing thing is he could have misallocated investor money and straight up bought another pin manufacturer for that money and would have already been in the game, instant king of his own hill. But again, the super idiot crook looks at that play, says hold my beer, and doubles down.

#26974 2 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

The amazing thing is he could have misallocated investor money and straight up bought another pin manufacturer for that money and would have already been in the game, instant king of his own hill.

Didn't he show interest in trying to buy spooky early on?

#26975 2 years ago

The Who playfield? And can someone clean up the bottom of that do not turn on or flip game warning sign?

#26976 2 years ago

They seriously need a better 3D printer. For a company that was literally gonna seemingly fab and manufacturer their own PCBs this was a bit disappointing. It’s like hobbyist level.

#26977 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Does it count as buying when your offer is $0?

#26978 2 years ago

DO NOT TURN ON or Flip Game!

> SKULL ELECTRICITITY<

Check with M____ prior to
energizing or testing game
Management

do not turn on (resized).pngdo not turn on (resized).png
#26979 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That and Pinball Life.

#26980 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That and Pinball Life.

And multimorphic

#26981 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

DO NOT TURN ON or Flip Game!

> SKULL ELECTRICITITY<

Management

Amazingly well done, but I have a different interpretation:

Employees must wash
hands before returning
to Ponzi scheme.

#26982 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

That and Pinball Life.

Bryan! You're still kicking!

Also, hopefully people now understand why some of us hated Deeproot so much. They were a destructive force for the industry and also yes, he very clearly planned to be a patent troll.

Coincidentally, soon Robert will be living under a bridge

#26983 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bryan! You're still kicking!
Also, hopefully people now understand why some of us hated Deeproot so much. They were a destructive force for the industry and also yes, he very clearly planned to be a patent troll.
Coincidentally, soon Robert will be living under a bridge
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"f48328ba05e38e9dab8713400bc08aafe6d80673-1636817119-1800"};
//]]>

Remember the “leave Britney alone!!!!” Folks who couldn’t understand why people were being so mean and picking on this plucky upstart who just wanted to make awesome pinball machines in the face of adversity?

Yeah, I know, seems hard to believe. But there were people who felt that way.

#26984 2 years ago

What’s in the background, Magic Girl?

#26985 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Also, hopefully people now understand why some of us hated Deeproot so much. They were a destructive force for the industry

Bobbie also tried to buy off, so to speak, those of us in the Jpop lawsuit. We rejected the Goodwill agreement based on our distrust of a very arrogant POS. It seemed too good to be true and we all smelled a rat. I'm proud of my fellow plaintiffs and our lawsuit.

Consider if we had taken the deal. We would be set back 4 plus years right now and legally starting from scratch. Believe me, I wouldn't be doing anything at this late date and Jpop would have skated.

For those following our court case, I will concede it is highly, *highly* unlikely we will ever collect a dime from Jpop. And I'm more than good with that.
But to those who say or believe Jpop will get away with it are flat out wrong. We forced Jpop into bankruptcy and we have a legal judgment hanging over his head. And he is now acting as his own attorney as legal proceedings continue.
Some of you might not understand the emotional toll that can take on man. Trust me, Jpop has paid a price and continues paying, while we are on cruise control.

And bad boy Bobby isn't enjoying life right now either, which gives me satisfaction. I never gave the SEC much thought before, but now I'm a fan.

#26986 2 years ago

For a while I just thought Robert was an asshole. But then yeah, the June 2019 deadline. He made that "double or nothing" offer that's when I realized it was a scam (but had no idea how big of one)

Hence my "bird in the hand" comment re the double or nothing and Robert's legendary response/rage quit.

#26987 2 years ago

Between the screaming of a new born, a trophy wife who is now attached to a broke bum, and the likelihood of a ten year jail sentence looming… how do you think Robert’s been sleeping lately?

#26988 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Between the screaming of a new born, a trophy wife who is now attached to a broke bum, and the likelihood of a ten year jail sentence looming… how do you think Robert’s been sleeping lately?

Really well. Because despite all the bullshit he's dealing with, he still knows, deep down inside, he's smarter then everybody else.

#26989 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

how do you think Robert’s been sleeping lately?

In a PinPod, sucking his thumb.

#26990 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

M___ could be Patrick... or Hatrick, but that's a rare name.

#26991 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Trust me, Jpop has paid a price and continues paying

Thanks for putting a huge smile on my face.

#26992 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

For a while I just thought Robert was an asshole. But then yeah, the June 2019 deadline. He made that "double or nothing" offer that's when I realized it was a scam (but had no idea how big of one)

There was always something really off putting about his demand of "faith" asked of the zidware customers. To sign a legal document before anything was shown. And the deadline to SIGN was 2018. The 2019 deadline was because he missed his release window and had to start honoring his agreements about potential cash payouts, but again he incentivized everyone to stay in, and few took the cash.

#26993 2 years ago

Faith... When you see religious words RUN!

Something to consider... The Five Days of Deeproot was supposed to be TPF 2019. Didn't happen, and around the same time he starts missing payroll.

Guessing his original runway assumed thousands of games flying off the shelf that spring, but when that didn't happen... Well here we are.

#26994 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There was always something really off putting about his demand of "faith" asked of the zidware customers. To sign a legal document before anything was shown. And the deadline to SIGN was 2018. The 2019 deadline was because he missed his release window and had to start honoring his agreements about potential cash payouts, but again he incentivized everyone to stay in, and few took the cash.

What was the point of all of it? I still don’t understand the motivation - was it just to avoid future lawsuits because of JPop’s involvement? Or was it a way to buy loyalty up front?

#26995 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Faith... When you see religious words RUN!

Bible Adventures... Don't worry, we're running

#26996 2 years ago

Bible Adventures will be amazing!

Especially when it isn't made by Robert!

#26997 2 years ago

Since we all love Robert stories (and I hope to be able to share a bunch more of those soon), it's easy to think of deeproot as nothing but a shit show.

However, there were also smart people at deeproot who dedicated a lot of time and effort into projects that will unfortunately never see the light of day. I'm glad to be able to share some of their work so it doesn't totally disappear down the memory hole.

Provided with commentary from the source. Links are to full-res videos because I don't know how to embed them (let me know if you do).

Technology/manufacturing nerds, I'm counting on you to bring color to whatever the hell we're looking at.

2 - lt9OMbS (resized).jpg2 - lt9OMbS (resized).jpg
LED current @ 5V... I think =P

3 - aPjltqW (resized).jpg3 - aPjltqW (resized).jpg

4 - eWo2rFg (resized).jpg4 - eWo2rFg (resized).jpg

5 - WAfkdB4.gif5 - WAfkdB4.gif
Just the tip (https://imgur.com/WAfkdB4)

6 - Y1qrERM (resized).jpg6 - Y1qrERM (resized).jpg

7 - 9izeOEJ.gif7 - 9izeOEJ.gif
I/O board. Daughter boards had access to 12v & 48V. You would essentially build a custom machine by populating the coils or lamps/motors daughter boards. (https://imgur.com/9izeOEJ)

8 - fAUOVpK (resized).jpg8 - fAUOVpK (resized).jpg
Then we made 12V or 48V only boards. Same thing as earlier but the Inputs were removed.

9 - VB627U7 (resized).jpg9 - VB627U7 (resized).jpg
Voltage isolation is a necessary evil.

10 - hJPHLDS (resized).jpg10 - hJPHLDS (resized).jpg
Two motor driver boards

11 - Md7GULz (resized).jpg11 - Md7GULz (resized).jpg
LED indicators were really nice for troubleshooting

12 - E0cXvcT (resized).jpg12 - E0cXvcT (resized).jpg
Surely no one would install these backwards ...

13 - O3EncV6 (resized).jpg13 - O3EncV6 (resized).jpg
The green boards were expensive, so we added most of the components to the main board and only made the mosfets removable. (Small green board) I think some people love thru hole components because they like inserting things in holes....

14 - w5sj1Ip (resized).jpg14 - w5sj1Ip (resized).jpg
Robert soda selection

15 - Mi7hBgy (resized).jpg15 - Mi7hBgy (resized).jpg

16 - b5AVSpc (resized).jpg16 - b5AVSpc (resized).jpg
RED 5V, BLUE DIG, YEL 12V, VIO 48V, but we ran out of VIO so we used red, T H I C C instead...

17 - VfoXmy2.gif17 - VfoXmy2.gif
https://imgur.com/VfoXmy2

18 - q5LAA2I (resized).jpg18 - q5LAA2I (resized).jpg
Able to kill the 48V for servicing mechs inside.

19 - dkOoKLV (resized).jpg19 - dkOoKLV (resized).jpg
These were neat boards. We ended up not need to replace that many mosfets at this stage. However, we figured it would make demo to show a quick repair.

20 - f1rJLfA.gif20 - f1rJLfA.gif
We measured other games flipper strength, like dialed in & gophers. (https://imgur.com/f1rJLfA)

21 - AkUxeJA (resized).jpg21 - AkUxeJA (resized).jpg
So this is fun. The brown noses would ask for 10 games worth of boards. We would optimize our sheets to lower the cost. 2 weeks later they would arrive. Then we would only receive parts for 2-3 games. When asked where the remainder of the parts are, they would reply they ordered less because money is tight.

22 - JJgHFxk (resized).jpg22 - JJgHFxk (resized).jpg
Cable tested, we couldn't afford the rights parts sooo better than nothing.

23 - Jad2fQ1 (resized).jpg23 - Jad2fQ1 (resized).jpg
Someone forgot to order the fuse holder. The substitute works.

24 - JuzDxTQ (resized).jpg24 - JuzDxTQ (resized).jpg
This was for the cycle tester! Someone forgot to cal the voltage regulators and signed off as "CALIBRATED"

#26998 2 years ago

Wow NDAs getting shredded left and right here!

FOod Truck sure looks like it would have been a banger.

#26999 2 years ago

I can’t believe it wasn’t called “deep-rootbeer” over “deeproot rootbeer.”

#27000 2 years ago

Lol PTH based.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 540 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/540?hl=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.