Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 531 of 672.
#26501 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Everyone clowns on Punny Factory and Pinball Adventures, and yet here's a factory tour video of a place that appears to have actual manufacturing - trade secrets fully exposed.
And for all this guy's foibles, I imagine he didn't blow 30 - ?? million dollars of other people's money to set this up AND I bet he'll actually someday ship machines (provided anyone actually orders any).

Really goes to show just how much of an unprecedented, nigh incomprehensible 100% fuckup old Bobby Business was.

Looks like he knows how to manufacture. Now if that company could only make a pinball people want so he can actually pay for all that capital equipment invested.

#26502 2 years ago

When you look at the path Legends of Valhalla took, and now actually getting made by a solid team at AP, it really makes this clown show almost surreal. All those pinball design heavyweights, not one title will ever get out the door. It's just.....words fail me.

7ad7094f6267512e8b486f85f9c9d9f2 (resized).jpg7ad7094f6267512e8b486f85f9c9d9f2 (resized).jpg
#26503 2 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

When you look at the path Legends of Valhalla took, and now actually getting made by a solid team at AP, it really makes this clown show almost surreal. All those pinball design heavyweights, not one title will ever get out the door. It's just.....words fail me.[quoted image]

I wonder how AP won out over deeproot to make LOV. Don't forget, deeproot offered a service for homebrewers to leverage octomanufacturing expertise to bring the dream of a production pinball machine to reality.

All riot pinball would have had to do was have a completed game, 25 preorders, and give dr I want to say 80 or 90 percent of the profits. Bet they'll be kicking themselves after seeing this, thinking what could have been.

#26504 2 years ago

Everyone clowns on Punny Factory and Pinball Adventures, and yet here's a factory tour video of a place that appears to have actual manufacturing - trade secrets fully exposed.
And for all this guy's foibles, I imagine he didn't blow 30 - ?? million dollars of other people's money to set this up AND I bet he'll actually someday ship machines (provided anyone actually orders any).

Really goes to show just how much of an unprecedented, nigh incomprehensible 100% fuckup old Bobby Business was.

Is it me or is this guy walking around random factories pretending it’s his factory? The people working didn’t seem to like him (or know him). And the water curtain? Uncle Joe must sell those on Amazon and this guy walking around it. And why does he need to get into a truck to show you his factory. Bizarre

#26505 2 years ago

The distraction of all of this should be a lesson. One that keeps repeating. How is Haggis doing with a 12 week date to ship that is now at 30 weeks?

All of this startups are a risk. Anyone asking for preorder money is a risk. Not saying Haggis will not deliver, though I am saying, I am skeptical of any of it.

#26506 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Is it me or is this guy walking around random factories pretending it’s his factory? The people working didn’t seem to like him (or know him). And the water curtain? Uncle Joe must sell those on Amazon and this guy walking around it. And why does he need to get into a truck to show you his factory. Bizarre

He talks quieter around the machines in the shops because he doesn't want people working there to hear him taking claim of those facilities as "his". These are most likely subcontractor facilities that are producing parts for him. There is no way all of that equipment is just being used for Pinball. Also, where is the machine assembly area?

#26507 2 years ago

Macbain is a clown and a shiester just like Robert and equally full of shit. At least he only has to make like 15 games though since thats about what punny factory will sell.

Yes. Everything about Andrew and PA is fascinatingly bizarre and always has been.

#26508 2 years ago

Reminds me of when my dad would take me to places like a quarry, and tell me he owned it, and all these people worked for him, and the guy he just gave money to, he was paying his salary, when he was paying for a load of rock. I don't know why my dad did that except he was trying to look big in front of a little kid.

#26509 2 years ago

Geez Frolic, that is a really sad story.
On another note... How weak did those flippers look in that video? It seemed like the ball couldn't make it up the ramp.

#26510 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

He talks quieter around the machines in the shops because he doesn't want people working there to hear him taking claim of those facilities as "his". These are most likely subcontractor facilities that are producing parts for him. There is no way all of that equipment is just being used for Pinball. Also, where is the machine assembly area?

Lol I bet you're right. I don't know what these machines cost or what would be realistic for a zany pinball CEO to buy (having just seen what another zany pinball CEO actually did buy) so that didn't occur to me.

Going to rewatch the video to hear what language he uses to describe the factory. It wouldn't be technically inaccurate to refer to it as "our" or "my" factory if it's the one that makes stuff for his games. Just like "my Safeway" is the one across the street from me, even though I am not Albertsons Companies, Inc.

#26511 2 years ago
Quoted from Manhattan:

Geez Frolic, that is a really sad story.

Yes, AND it came to mind today watching Andrew give his big tour.

#26512 2 years ago

OK, I'm confident we could use internet sleuthing to figure out where he filmed this and what company actually owns the facilities in this video. And if this were deeproot, I'd get right on that. But as fun as this company and guy are, they're no dr and rm.

#26513 2 years ago

Yeah Pinball Adventures doesn't interest me the same way.

I do think it's a scam, but I think it's a low key one where he's hiding his homebrew project to cheat on his taxes or some shit.

Besides his very public issues with Todd, he seems to be having a genuine hoot making his impressively lame pinball machines. He doesn't have the appeal of Mueller proclaiming to be a genius while walking around and repeatedly getting hit in the face by rakes. I want to say some people already dug up the dirt on the guy anyway. I think he got his money inventing dumb stuff to sell on late night infomercials. (My body is not ready to handle him doing a late night infomercial on his pinball machines. That would be true art like the PinPod video)

#26514 2 years ago

None of this really matters.

It doesn't matter if it's his from other ventures, or just a company he is contracting with. In fact, history shows its BETTER if it's a contracted company because then at least you know it's not some pie-in-the-sky dreamer collecting a bunch of stuff and thinking that qualifies as a manufacturing facility.

That place doesn't look new - That's a facility that was doing other work and is now doing this work too. Contractor, sister company, or whatever.. as long as they start putting out games reliably, it doesn't matter.

Pinball upstarts with no experience are not going to be any worse than a contract manufacturer that doesn't have pinball experience - They at least know how to get things done.

#26515 2 years ago

OK, I'm confident we could use internet sleuthing to figure out where he filmed this and what company actually owns the facilities in this video. And if this were deeproot, I'd get right on that. But as fun as this company and guy are, they're no dr and rm.

This is his other company 'Pidgeon Patrol' HQ... Same location.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.1234982,-122.7335551,3a,75.3y,73.67h,87.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSmgrWrioJbB-XWe2OLhHqg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DSmgrWrioJbB-XWe2OLhHqg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D116.04999%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

#26516 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Reminds me of when my dad would take me to places like a quarry, and tell me he owned it, and all these people worked for him, and the guy he just gave money to, he was paying his salary, when he was paying for a load of rock. I don't know why my dad did that except he was trying to look big in front of a little kid.

I have a friend who likes to sound like a big shit. He tells people he owns Brakes Plus. People are impressed! What he leaves out is that he owns STOCK in brakes plus lol. Technically an owner, but not in the context he tells people.

#26517 2 years ago

I wonder how AP won out over deeproot to make LOV. Don't forget, deeproot offered a service for homebrewers to leverage octomanufacturing expertise to bring the dream of a production pinball machine to reality.

By being a real company, with actual manufacturing ability.

Oh and Scott probably heard all the tales of terror passed around long before it was "safe" to do so online.

#26518 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

The distraction of all of this should be a lesson. One that keeps repeating. How is Haggis doing with a 12 week date to ship that is now at 30 weeks?
All of this startups are a risk. Anyone asking for preorder money is a risk. Not saying Haggis will not deliver, though I am saying, I am skeptical of any of it.

It boggles my fucking mind that people were happy to send in thousands of dollars on Fathom pre-orders.

I have ZERO evidence or inclination to think it's a deep-root style scam, but so what? I just can't believe that the pre-order-and-pray model is still a thing post Deep Root.

#26519 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It boggles my fucking mind that people were happy to send in thousands of dollars on Fathom pre-orders.
I have ZERO evidence or inclination to think it's a deep-root style scam, but so what? I just can't believe that the pre-order-and-pray model is still a thing post Deep Root.

Everywhere:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/legends-of-valhalla-revealed-and-ready-to-order-with-pinballstar-#post-6563327

Put your $500 down to get a game sometime in the next year (assuming all goes well-which I HOPE it does). But I won’t put $500 down - get the games built first!

#26520 2 years ago

My first preorder buying experience was positive with WOZ but I learned my lesson after Predator and Raza. Patience...patience...and more patience.
No more buying on a prayer. Will now wait until a game is finished to a degree I'm satisfied with.

#26521 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I don't want to rag on Haggis, but they need to stop doing the Heighway thing of showing off a factory with zero work being done. I think they'll get it turned around, but they definitely asked for that money way too early and I hope it's all being held in escrow if things get worse.

Idk. Damian seems very nice, honest, and like a competent engineer in his video logs. He bit off a lot, but some people strive under that sort of pressure.

#26522 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah Pinball Adventures doesn't interest me the same way.
I do think it's a scam, but I think it's a low key one where he's hiding his homebrew project to cheat on his taxes or some shit.
Besides his very public issues with Todd, he seems to be having a genuine hoot making his impressively lame pinball machines. He doesn't have the appeal of Mueller proclaiming to be a genius while walking around and repeatedly getting hit in the face by rakes. I want to say some people already dug up the dirt on the guy anyway. I think he got his money inventing dumb stuff to sell on late night infomercials. (My body is not ready to handle him doing a late night infomercial on his pinball machines. That would be true art like the PinPod video)

It is just bizarre that a business person has a bad falling out with a legend in this hobby and then trolls him in the video by using one of his known phrases and then his likeness at the end of the video. Regardless of right or wrong, he should leave that spat in the past. And it was a weak attempt to troll Stern with the QR code segment. This guy had some issues.

#26523 2 years ago

What happened there?

#26524 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What happened there?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/todd-n-tuckey-book-deal-1o-volumes/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/todd-tuckey-s-response-to-pinball-adventures-book-deal-termination-

In a nutshell guy contracted with Todd Tuckey for Todd to write a series of books. The guy published some terrible books with numerous errors in them (like duplicate chapters), threw Todd under the bus, and Todd tried to be as professional as possible while showing the receipts of him doing his best to uphold his end of writing a quality book.

#26525 2 years ago

Oh shit that was this guy? Lols.

#26526 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What happened there?

TNT Todd decided to partner up with a moron for a terrible pinball book that turned out to be the worst one ever released. And that's saying something, there's a lot of bad pinball books.

In the aftermath of the books release - with people complaining about hundreds of bizarre mistakes that went beyond common typos, and garbage paper stock and pretty much anything else you could complain about - they turned on each other and it got really ugly. Don't need to go into the specifics but lets just say it was fairly insane. Phrases like "you are broke and tricked me into buying your daughter a laptop" were just the surface scrapings!

#26527 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What happened there?

Read the threads about Andrew's horrible pinball book .. which he still shills in this video.

The TLDR - He scammed people on what the book would be and misrepresented the effort and collaboration with Todd Tuckey and basically burned every bridge in the process.

#26528 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

None of this really matters.
It doesn't matter if it's his from other ventures, or just a company he is contracting with. In fact, history shows its BETTER if it's a contracted company because then at least you know it's not some pie-in-the-sky dreamer collecting a bunch of stuff and thinking that qualifies as a manufacturing facility.
That place doesn't look new - That's a facility that was doing other work and is now doing this work too. Contractor, sister company, or whatever.. as long as they start putting out games reliably, it doesn't matter.
Pinball upstarts with no experience are not going to be any worse than a contract manufacturer that doesn't have pinball experience - They at least know how to get things done.

I agree with the contracting part. The impression he’s trying to convey in the video is “Look at my full blown pinball manufacturing facilities I own. This means you can trust us”. When I see a picture of JJP assembly line or Spooky, it doesn’t leave the impression this is somebody else’s factory. Now if this guy said “Hey, check out our partners who are 50 year mfg vets and we use them to make our pinball machines” I would be fine with that. This presentation looks fishy though IMO. But hey, if you trust this guy, give him your money and buy his game, maybe it’s great

#26529 2 years ago

Also it was the classic pre-order ruse. "Hey we're going to write and publish 10 of these, pre-order the first one or the whole set now. We promise they'll be the best ;D"

Sucks that Todd's good reputation was used to make some money over night, but Andrew made such an ass of himself that everyone felt pity that Todd got sucked into his shit storm.

#26530 2 years ago

He's also guilty of one of my least favorite small business tropes: using "we" when only one person is performing a job, to give the illusion of a larger operation more worthy of your business. Because surely it can't be disingenuous if more than one person is involved!

So many "small business owners" say things like "We are so happy to announce that we will now be offering free shipping!" or "We're working overtime at the shop this week to get your orders out before the holidays! Please be patient with us!" when in reality it's just some lady named Carol making bespoke cinnamon scented candles in her spare bedroom.

I have a lot more respect for business owners who call it what it is. IDGAF how many employees you have, I just don't want you pretending you need a payroll department to make yourself seem more legitimate.

#26531 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

TNT Todd decided to partner up with a moron for a terrible pinball book that turned out to be the worst one ever released. And that's saying something, there's a lot of bad pinball books.

I object to this review. Todd's content was perfectly fine and I would have bought the whole series one by one if he had written them. The editing and printing was truly garbage and none of Todd's fault.

Volume 2 was written by Pinball Adventures without Todd and correctly deserves the title of worst pinball book ever.

#26532 2 years ago

The end of the new Punny Factory video mentions the "QR codes" with his pretty decent rendering of me, and the music I use in some of my videos. The QR Code references are when I actually advertised having this feature for my botched book series (courtesy of Andrew).

My feelings were that as you were reading my book, when I mentioned a game or a repair/fact/feature of it, a QR code would take you to that exact moment in a TNT video of what I was referring to! You would read, and then watch something, and go back to reading, etc. Here is some of the copy from my letter I sent to would be advertisers for the back of the book...
I wrote "There will also be pages that will contain QR Codes that will link directly to my YouTube videos about specific machines."

But Andrew did not like the idea of the QR codes at all. He nixed it even though I already told folks it would be in the book....here is his response in an email to me...

"A quick poll of our office of 12 staff, everyone said that the codes are outdated and that they would never use them and only two staff have ever used them in their life since you need an app." Andrew

Hmmmmm.....QR Codes are everywhere now...I wonder if his 12 person staff has finally downloaded the app! AND, you actually don't even NEED an app!

And I am thrilled he used my infamous saying "Kids Go NUTS for it" in the beginning of the video!

And the most amazing thing is that QR COde at the end of his video takes you to......My Channel!

Todd N. Tuckey

#26533 2 years ago

You should try scanning his QR code in the video and see where it goes

#26534 2 years ago

Todd, for the crap you've put up with, you are a better man than me.

#26535 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Todd, for the crap you've put up with, you are a better man than me.

Todd, can your next book be “Zen and the Art of Pinball Maintenance”

#26536 2 years ago

I tried, at 480p there isn't enough clarity to pickup on it. typically youtube videos get degraded to that when they have a free account. Ole Punny factory couldn't pony up the $12/month for a premium account.

#26537 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I tried, at 480p there isn't enough clarity to pickup on it. typically youtube videos get degraded to that when they have a free account. Ole Punny factory couldn't pony up the $12/month for a premium account.

All accounts are free on YT. Anyone can upload 4k

#26538 2 years ago

Why’d the dr thread being clogged up when SantaEatsCheese already made an amazing Punny Factory thread where Andrew MacBum made an account and had an absolute meltdown on us when we called him out for his pile of crap. It’s very amusing.

He also cheerleaded in the RAZA thread and used deeproots “delays” as an example that pinball takes time and people should be patient. The red flags are screaming in your face!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-new-pin-reveal-12-16-punny-factory

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-new-pin-reveal-12-16-punny-factory?tu=pinballbuzz

#26539 2 years ago

Can you believe that QR code goes to MY CHANNEL! Andrew still loves me!

#26540 2 years ago

New doc filed today in the sec case.

Will today be the day I learn both how to use pacer and how do it so such that the new doc shows up on https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/60223430/securities-and-exchange-commission-v-mueller/?

If someone with more money and knowledge than me doesn't do it in the next several hours, probably.

#26541 2 years ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

Can you believe that QR code goes to MY CHANNEL! Andrew still loves me!

Never trust a guy in a suit with a QR code

94859F40-F3F2-43A2-9649-9F2D52D4B14B.gif94859F40-F3F2-43A2-9649-9F2D52D4B14B.gif
#26542 2 years ago

New doc filed today in the sec case.
Will today be the day I learn both how to use pacer and how do it so such that the new doc shows up on https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/60223430/securities-and-exchange-commission-v-mueller/?
If someone with more money and knowledge than me doesn't do it in the next several hours, probably.

OK pals, I registered for pacer BUT I can't activate my account (which I need to do to be able to buy documents) until I receive a code in the actual mail in 7-10 days. So going to need to lean on the usual lawyer friends to snag this recent motion hearing.

EDIT: Never mind. They gave me another option to insta activate by providing my cc info.

EDIT 2: OK, pacer says I do not have permissions to view the new document. I don't know why I do not, but I do know I was charged $.10 for the pleasure of being told I do not. And another $.10 when I tried again. Help.

#26543 2 years ago

Sorry, I can't help you.

That will be 10 cents.

#26544 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

All accounts are free on YT. Anyone can upload 4k

dam youre right.. i swear it used to degrade my videos when i uploaded. cant be a mobile thing because i have 1080p videos i know i recorded on my phone. why would anyone restrict a video to 480p?

#26545 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

dam youre right.. i swear it used to degrade my videos when i uploaded. cant be a mobile thing because i have 1080p videos i know i recorded on my phone. why would anyone restrict a video to 480p?

Your cell phone data plan?

#26546 2 years ago

OK pals, I registered for pacer BUT I can't activate my account (which I need to do to be able to buy documents) until I receive a code in the actual mail in 7-10 days. So going to need to lean on the usual lawyer friends to snag this recent motion hearing.

Privately send me your Venmo or PayPal account and I will reimburse you plus a modest fee for you efforts.

#26548 2 years ago

EDIT: Never mind. They gave me another option to insta activate by providing my cc info.
EDIT 2: OK, pacer says I do not have permissions to view the new document. I don't know why I do not, but I do know I was charged $.10 for the pleasure of being told I do not. And another $.10 when I tried again. Help.

I don't have permission either, so it's not just you.

#26549 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Privately send me your Venmo or PayPal account and I will reimburse you plus a modest fee for you efforts.

Much obliged. I can swing the four nickels incurred thus far. Just would like to find out how to access the new document.

#26550 2 years ago

This made me crack up!
Jpop’s wet dream. “No pinball machine, that’ll be 10k”
He went into the wrong profession!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 531 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/531 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.