F1594223-2B1C-4D7E-A7B2-F7380ABF383A.jpeg
dumbmoney (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
C52192C9-F4F8-4085-AC01-B7D522E50551.jpeg
A8F5F28C-D6A4-4D59-B166-4296AB68AD41.jpeg
486184eaa6a42d892408ed20ae3c6961643f5688 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

84 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 26420 posts in this topic. You are on page 518 of 529.
#25851 28 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Hey, I'd like to make an offer on that Prototype if nobody else wants it.
Who do I contact? Thanks

Why the butthole surfer down votes? No sense of humor? Payback?
Its all good.

#25852 27 days ago

Approaching 26000

#25853 27 days ago

What do you mean? Flash Gordon

Open fire! All weapons! Dispatch the war-rocket Ajax to bring back his body!

#25854 27 days ago

Robert’s sentencing will add enough posts to get it there.

#25855 27 days ago

#25856 27 days ago

Lizzy Holmes is going with a sexual abuse defense throwing her former business partner/lover under the bus.

Maybe Robert could try that with John?

#25857 27 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe Robert could try that with John?

#25858 27 days ago

I’m sorta surprised that Robert hasn’t tried some “this is all a big misunderstanding” email to the DR faithful by now. Not that at this point there would be anyone left in that camp, but you would think his ego would try to defend himself in some way. And yet just silence. You would also think the same would be said for the employees who would all go “ I knew nothing” if only to make sure they positively distanced themselves from this fiasco. We got the declaration from Dennis officially but nobody else, and he has not been at DR for quite some time. Oh well, I guess about 18 months from now we will have the start of trial proceedings to muse over

#25859 27 days ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I’m sorta surprised that Robert hasn’t tried some “this is all a big misunderstanding” email to the DR faithful by now. Not that at this point there would be anyone left in that camp, but you would think his ego would try to defend himself in some way. And yet just silence. You would also think the same would be said for the employees who would all go “ I knew nothing” if only to make sure they positively distanced themselves from this fiasco. We got the declaration from Dennis officially but nobody else, and he has not been at DR for quite some time. Oh well, I guess about 18 months from now we will have the start of trial proceedings to muse over

He was probably advised by his lawyers not to speak publicly about anything.

#25860 26 days ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I thought something similar with Theranos. They hired an army of engineers and scientists to build an impossible "Star Trek Medical Device" conjured up on a napkin by a college dropout. Nobody at any time said "This isn't possible"???

#25861 26 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

I thought something similar with Theranos. They hired an army of engineers and scientists to build an impossible "Star Trek Medical Device" conjured up on a napkin by a college dropout. Nobody at any time said "This isn't possible"???

Helped that they hired a lot of people fresh out of school that didn't know better. At a certain point the snowball was rolling down hill and became an unstoppable avalanche

Tying it back to deeproot. It sounded like they also hired a lot of kids out of school that probably didn't know better on a lot of things both pinball and manufacturing.

#25862 26 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Helped that they hired a lot of people fresh out of school that didn't know better. At a certain point the snowball was rolling down hill and became an unstoppable avalanche
Tying it back to deeproot. It sounded like they also hired a lot of kids out of school that probably didn't know better on a lot of things both pinball and manufacturing.

It's yet another company that tried to become Apple but with only one Steve.

#25863 26 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

That's not startup mentality. Nobody has ever done MOST of what these companies out in california are doing. It's not that it's impossible, it's that it may take 500 years for it to be possible! But they keep trying. Theranos situation was that they got in way too far pretending it was working, and eventually were just flat out lying so they could keep the bucks rolling in.

#25864 26 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

Systems built by these kind of vain megalomaniac types have a way of suppressing dissent. Those that figured out the aims were bunk were silenced with lawsuits and quit. Such a system filters out the ethical, and those that remain need the job badly, or are too meek to rock any boats. Also as part of these systems the scammer / leader is heavily hands on with the most sensitive parts / data of the project, and restricted access to the data to only loyal or threatenable employees. That’s how Madoff managed to con billions, he and only a handful of employees were generating fake statements and had access to the bank accounts.

#25865 26 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

i'm betting there were plenty of engineers at Theranos who pushed back and got similar responses we got "you guys are geniuses you can do anything" or my favorite "we've taken your feedback and put it right in the trashcan, now build the impossible thing. oh by the way we can't pay you this week"

#25866 26 days ago

I'm guessing Holmes' misconception stemmed from thinking large scale industrial machines would scale down as easily as computers did.

But that's like trying to make an iPhone in 1976. Just isn't possible, no matter in what way you assemble the components.

#25867 26 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

I'm guessing Holmes' misconception stemmed from thinking large scale industrial machines would scale down as easily as computers did.
But that's like trying to make an iPhone in 1976. Just isn't possible, no matter in what way you assemble the components.

#25868 26 days ago

Doable, but it would have been a LOT larger

#25869 26 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

I don't think it was even that. I think she thought "Wouldn't it be nice to take less blood! Of course, it makes so much sense!". Never mind whether it was possible or not. She started with the idea first, not the tech. She dropped out of a big school so of course she must be smart!

#25870 26 days ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Never mind whether it was possible or not. She started with the idea first, not the tech.

Holm's was told by Stanford professors that testing with finger-prick samples wouldn't work. Capillary blood is not as good for testing as venous blood. I don't think that's necessarily a reason to quit trying, but the first proof-of-concept should have been to use manual lab work to prove the testing was feasible. Of course, building things is much more fun. Even then, the size of the machine was dictated long before there was any idea of what was going inside it.

Fake it 'til you make it is not a viable strategy for inventions that can kill people.

#25871 25 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's yet another company that tried to become Apple but with only one Steve.

I don't think they had any Steves.

Holmes (and Mueller) had some level of reality distortion effect, but couldn't wield it to get results like Jobs. His RDF inspired and challenged employees to get shit done (or else), not just to raise the stock price.

Also in the beginning, Jobs main thing was realizing the value of his friend's brilliant inventions. He didn't set out to sell something they didn't already have somewhat developed. That's how Microsoft started...

#25872 25 days ago

It was Ben and the mob that destroyed Theranos.

#25873 25 days ago

I think it's apples and oranges. Computer tech has always been about making things as cheap and simple as possible. Like with Apple the super simple disk drive WOZ designed was just as important as the computer.

But Holmes and Robert designed things as COMPLEX as possible. Even if the Edison (pretentious name BTW) had worked it would have been so unreliable it would make an McDonald's ice cream machine blush.

#25874 25 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

I think it's apples and oranges. Computer tech has always been about making things as cheap and simple as possible. Like with Apple the super simple disk drive WOZ designed was just as important as the computer.
But Holmes and Robert designed things as COMPLEX as possible. Even if the Edison (pretentious name BTW) had worked it would have been so unreliable it would make an McDonald's ice cream machine blush.

That's why I like to use the Juicero comparison for deeproot

https://blog.bolt.io/juicero/

Granted they actually delivered some product to people. But you see the over complicated design, the focus on recurrent revenue streams, a disconnect with what the majority of consumers are like and want, and general wasteful use of resources

#25875 25 days ago

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/9/21003445/coolest-cooler-update-business-tariffs-kickstarter

Tangentially related: forgot about the Coolest Cooler. Looking back on it now, it's interesting that a kickstarter can behave somewhat ponzi-like by selling product on amazon in order to fund the product that was owed to the kickstarter "donors." Would be curious to know what happened, if anything, to the $$ the CEO paid himself over the 5-6 years everything played out.

"The team ultimately put the cooler up for sale on Amazon before it even shipped all its owed product to backers. In the end, it shipped roughly two-thirds of the 60,000 coolers it owed people, the company said in a project update in March 2018."

Imagine if we had started seeing Magic Girls on amazon while that whole fiasco was underway...

#25876 25 days ago

Oh the Coolest Cooler is easy - they vastly underestimated what it would take to build it. (like JJP and WOZ)

Thus new money had to pay for old sales (the OG KS backers)

That's a problem with wildly over successful KS projects - the difficulty scales the more you sell

#25877 25 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

Oh the Coolest Cooler is easy - they vastly underestimated what it would take to build it. (like JJP and WOZ)
Thus new money had to pay for old sales (the OG KS backers)
That's a problem with wildly over successful KS projects - the difficulty scales the more you sell

Right.

People always want a discount per game for renting 2 pinball machines vs renting one.

I always tell them it’s twice as much work so that dog don’t hunt.

#25878 25 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People want a discount per game for renting 2 pinball machines vs renting one.

How much for renting two deeproot pins? (Just keeping this thread on topic.)

#25879 25 days ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

How much for renting two deeproot pins? (Just keeping this thread on topic.)

They're much easier to move, anyway.

#25880 25 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

They're much easier to move, anyway.

Sans PinPod (tm) those things, even empty, look heavy as hell!

#25881 25 days ago

Why hasn’t anyone made a working 1/8 scale of Raza?

#25882 25 days ago
Quoted from hank527:

This would be kinda cool, at least we could get one. Maybe the guy on ETSY could make them. Lol

#25883 25 days ago
Quoted from hank527:

1/8 of MG is all that worked on the one they built LOL! Sure a 1/8 scale of that one is doable.

#25884 25 days ago
Quoted from hank527:

Because there isn't even a 1 : 1 scale working RAZA yet.

#25885 25 days ago
Quoted from benheck:Because there isn't even a 1 : 1 scale working RAZA yet.

True but many still would love to see YOUR game happen. Love the theme and would love to see it happen one day. Or maybe settle on Bible Adventures LOL!

#25886 25 days ago
Quoted from Pickle:

True but many still would love to see YOUR game happen. Love the theme and would love to see it happen one day. Or maybe settle on Bible Adventures LOL!

Which one? BHZA? That was John's idea I would never make a game about myself.

My CGC game should pick up steam once they're done crunching (whatever their next remake might be for a certain reveal date one might guess)

Also Spooky wants me to do another after (whatever game they are doing next that isn't Big Trouble in Little China) but we haven't settled on a theme yet. I wanted to do Rampage but Stern did a falling building so not anymore.

I still wanna do Bible Adventures but that would be a "fuck everyone" theme and done 100% my way which means no god damn LCD.

#25887 24 days ago
Quoted from benheck:

Also Spooky wants me to do another after (whatever game they are doing next that isn't Big Trouble in Little China) but we haven't settled on a theme yet. I wanted to do Rampage but Stern did a falling building so not anymore.

I got your theme: CHUCKY. It’s about a crazy redhead & fits with the Spooky genre. It’s horror & comedy. GO!

#25888 24 days ago

Guys, I made my RAZA model. Preorders start today.

red-brick-pavers-030734004-64_1000 (resized).jpg
#25889 24 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Impressive foamcore work. PM sent.

#25890 24 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Guys, I made my RAZA model. Preorders start today.[quoted image]

Flowiest, smoothest shooting Popadiuk design in the last two decades!

#25891 24 days ago

Needs more purple and cleavage

#25892 24 days ago

Betcha it bricks first time you use it.

#25893 24 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

Good that you're taking preorders. I'm OK if it takes 10 years to finish.

Launch party?

Is there some sort of expensive wooden crate you can ship it in to protect it?

Ideally, can you fly to my house and set it up? Is that included in the price?

#25894 24 days ago

C'mon Robert, go to jail or something. This thread is becoming a bore...

#25895 24 days ago

Likely the next thing would be JPOP. Maybe he walks free from his days in court. Maybe he gets a lawyer to get him off. He must of got a decent salary along with others there. Still really quiet about what the pinball staff had in the works all these years, & what happened with anything there. Maybe some stuff went into storage units.

#25896 24 days ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Likely the next thing would be JPOP. Maybe he walks free from his days in court. Maybe he gets a lawyer to get him off. He must of got a decent salary along with others there. Still really quiet about what the pinball staff had in the works all these years, & what happened with anything there. Maybe some stuff went into storage units.

Maybe....

#25897 24 days ago

Yeah, and they would be really smart to start talking about that while the Feds are investigating and deciding who to charge criminally. Now would be a great time to talk about all those cool, valuable things you stole from the company that stole $58 million dollars from investors. It's not like the Government is looking for anything to sell as a way to make partial restitution to those folks or anthing. Hidden assets wouldn't interest them at all. And getting involved in all that by having stolen property on your hands would be a great idea.

#25898 24 days ago

Maybe not.

#25899 24 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

If it only had “supreme” on it, I’d be in.

BA65F50C-64DC-455D-B749-EE06B384521E (resized).jpeg
#25900 24 days ago
Quoted from happyclan:

The brick reminds me of a discussion we had around the dinner table once when my kids were young. One of them said that his teacher said a cuss word in class. So we asked what the word was. Not wanting to say it he said "it started with D and ended with M" (not correct spelling, but we understood). Then the other kid said he had heard a cuss word, and did the same thing to explain what he had heard "starts with P and ends with S." After a bit of silence, one of them said that he had heard another one, "it started with SH and ended with Brick." Meatloaf was spewing...

There are 26420 posts in this topic. You are on page 518 of 529.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside