• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 510 of 669.
#25451 2 years ago

I’m waiting for Pinball Tycoon - Deeproot Edition to come out. Can you use $58M to design and build a pinball before the SEC comes knocking at your door ? Watch out for the drawing the dreaded JPOP card which takes all your efforts back down to foam core again like Chutes and Ladders. There is unfortunately for Robert no get out of jail free card in this game.

#25452 2 years ago

Purple Is Atomic?

Quoted from benheck:

Note: they'd still order in the PCBs. These machines "stuff" them.
Looks like a pick and place, reflow oven and selective solder (for through hole parts)
No pinball company has the volume to justify these machines (no, not even "giant huge Apple like Stern") Not just the machines but the custom fume management they installed, upkeep, operator labor, testing, QC, rework.. . Dumb!

And they kept breaking them per the suit with the vendor.

Saved a lot of money by claiming the machines were always broken. Don’t sell refurbished industrial equipment to Robert cause he’ll use it against you.

#25453 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The fact that these machines were in the building reveals Robert was buying his own bullshit.

That's a good insight. Using my Pinotaur numbers I'd say DR would need to sell about 15k games before these machines turned a profit.

#25454 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

That's a good insight. Using my Pinotaur numbers I'd say DR would need to sell about 15k games before these machines turned a profit.

One of the fundamentals of good business sense is to know what value you add as a new business, and what value existing businesses in the supply chain provide. Before Zappos had their own warehouses they drop shipped directly from manufacturers. It meant they didn’t tie up huge sums of money in inventory and that they didn’t need to raise as much capital. Later, when the pain of being at the mercy of the manufacturers shipping process meant bad customer service, he moved it in house. He didn’t decide to do it all himself right away. He allowed the nature of his business and his operating revenues to dictate what approach they took. Robert decided he knew all the answers before he had shipped game #1. And that saving money in the process or making the most economical decision was dumb. I guess reality showed him.

#25455 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The fact that these machines were in the building reveals Robert was buying his own bullshit.

And he was buying the bullshit with investors money.

#25456 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

0.0025% of a million is 25, not 2500.
I guess your million dollar a year job doesn't involve math?

I am amazed at how many reasonably educated individuals struggle with expressing decimals and percentages. It's not even math, it's basic arithmetic....

#25457 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Well, didn't his original road map basically hit 15k machines with just the zidware trilogy?

#25458 2 years ago

Does string theory mean a universe exists where deeproot is shipping more games a year than all other pinball companies combined?

#25459 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, didn't his original road map basically hit 15k machines with just the zidware trilogy?

Eh more like 8k units. But add in FOOD TRUCK and FIRE AND BRIMSTONE and the sky's the limit!

#25460 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Does string theory mean a universe exists where deeproot is shipping more games a year than all other pinball companies combined?

In a cosmos of multiple universes where all possible probabilities play out, there still isn’t one where deeproot comes close to that

#25461 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

I am amazed at how many reasonably educated individuals struggle with expressing decimals and percentages. It's not even math, it's basic arithmetic....

And I'm amazed at the condescending assholes that feel the need to point out a simple mistake someone made....like they've never made a similar mistake.

#25462 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Octo-Ego

#25463 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Im amazed at how many reasonably educated individuals struggle with common human decency.

#25464 2 years ago

Things that won’t get you in trouble with the SEC: misuse of the decimal point and % sign on a 500 page pinball forum thread.

Things that will get you in trouble with the SEC: refer to this 500 page pinball forum thread.

#25465 2 years ago
Quoted from Stuieb84:

What is a PIA?

Puppies in arms?

2CD0E203-6E94-4C88-9A48-D8B7E9521C67 (resized).jpeg2CD0E203-6E94-4C88-9A48-D8B7E9521C67 (resized).jpeg
#25466 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Seems to me like the DR story is more like Chaos Theory, where everything goes to hell over time but is determined, in large part, by the initial conditions.

#25467 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Cool story!

#25468 2 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I’m waiting for Pinball Tycoon - Deeproot Edition to come out. Can you use $58M to design and build a pinball before the SEC comes knocking at your door ? Watch out for the drawing the dreaded JPOP card which takes all your efforts back down to foam core again like Chutes and Ladders. There is unfortunately for Robert no get out of jail free card in this game.

You mean “Snakes and Ladders”

#25469 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Equally, it's impossible to scroll through a single Pinside page without encountering maddening grammar, punctuation and spelling errors. Typos and stream of consciousness posts are certainly understandable.

However, the most common unforgivable errors seem to be:

1) using "could of" and "would of" which are both nonsensical. The correct phrase is, of course, could HAVE and would HAVE;
2) incorrectly writing "etcetera" as "ect." The correct abbreviation is, of course, "etc." Further, one "etc." suffices. Multiples are redundant;
3) misuse of "your" when "you're" is meant, the latter of which means, of course, "you are." This is clearly the number 1 error;
4) misuse of "it's" to designate the possessive meaning when, of course, "it's" means "it is." To convey possession,
there is NO apostrophe in "its." (e.g. The deeproot company is a failed venture. Its assets have been depleted.)

Perhaps the most disheartening lesson is that these mistakes are repeated by the same folks even after a correction is noted by a fellow Pinsider. The educational collapse (in STEM as well) is evidently just as pervasive in Canada as in America. The western hemisphere is badly losing the global literacy race. It's embarrassing.

#25470 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Equally, it's impossible to scroll through a single Pinside page without encountering maddening grammar, punctuation and spelling errors. Typos and stream of consciousness posts are certainly understandable.
1) using "could of" and "would of" which are both nonsensical. The correct phrase is, of course, could HAVE and would HAVE;
2) incorrectly writing "etcetera" as "ect." The correct abbreviation is, of course, "etc." Further, one "etc." suffices. Multiples are redundant;
3) misuse of "your" when "you're" is meant, the latter of which means, of course, "you are." This is clearly the number 1 error;
4) misuse of "it's" to designate the possessive meaning when, of course, "it's" means "it is." To convey possession,
there is NO apostrophe in "its." (e.g. The deeproot company is a failed venture. Its assets have been depleted.)
Perhaps the most disheartening lesson is that these mistakes are repeated by the same folks even after a correction is noted by a fellow Pinsider. The educational collapse (in STEM as well) is evidently just as pervasive in Canada as in America. The western hemisphere is badly losing the global literacy race. It's embarrassing.

Your not wrong.

#25471 2 years ago

I’m thinking Robert purchased the PCB machines to combat expected part shortages due to Covid. In his deluded mind this was probably one of the biggest threats to his 15k per year production schedule.

And / or to combat the so called “pinball parts Mafia”.

#25472 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Quoted from ZNET:

That reminds me, time to read The Angry Grammarian.

https://www.inquirer.com/author/angry_grammarian/

#25473 2 years ago

I think a good compromise would be if Pinside had a crayon font. I know I could use it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#25474 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And then the internet happened...
Revenue turned to clicks and trying to be shared... and everyone is nameless articles online while individuals try to build a 'brand' and online personalities rather than a reputation for strong journalism.
It's dead jim...

It’s not, but yeah - internet journalism is indeed an oxymoron. The good writers are still in print, but boy good luck making a living wage.

#25475 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

And since you’re doing this, you should know that the long form of “etc.” is et cetera. 2 words.

#25476 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And since you’re doing this, you should know that the long form of “etc.” is et cetera. 2 words.

Both the 1 word (etcetera) and 2 word (et cetera) forms of the Latin term are correct.

#25477 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

You forgot there/their/they’re.

#25478 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Both the 1 word (etcetera) and 2 word (et cetera) forms of the Latin term are correct.

Both forms are -Accepted-. This is not the same as “correct”. You may also write “etc” without the period, which is accepted but also not correct, as it does not properly denote the term as an abbreviation.

“Et” means “and” in Latin. “Cetera” means “the other things…” hence, “Et cetera”: “and, the other things”.

“Etcetera” in Latin means nothing whatsoever. We have come to accept it as meaning the same as “Et cetera” because people have become complacent.

Anyway, I’m just busting your balls

#25479 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Your right.

#25480 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

“Etcetera” in Latin means nothing whatsoever. We have come to accept it as meaning the same as “Et cetera” because people have become complacent.

It has been said that Pinsiders will argue about anything.
I think that has now been proven.

#25481 2 years ago

This topic has PEAKED my interest. Literally.

#25482 2 years ago

We need dawg pictures again.

#25483 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I think your #1 is related to the plague of phrases done wrong. I think it's because "could've" SOUNDS like "could of" so they write it how it sounds.

Same thing with people saying something is "mute" when they meant "moot" because they didn't understand the word.

Or saying something "jives" instead of "jibes" - again because the word/phrase is misunderstood.

Jives/jibes is so common they're actually twisting dictionaries to add jives as a passable alternative.

Crazy.

#25484 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Both forms are -Accepted-. This is not the same as “correct”. You may also write “etc” without the period, which is accepted but also not correct, as it does not properly denote the term as an abbreviation.
“Et” means “and” in Latin. “Cetera” means “the other things…” hence, “Et cetera”: “and, the other things”.
Anyway, I’m just busting your balls

Yes. There's been a trend to economize language in written form. For example, the younger generations utilize only a single space after each sentence. Doing so is now an "accepted" form. Is it therefore "correct" to do so?

I leave that distinction to the scholars.

Meanwhile, it's refreshing to know that others care about language.

As for other abominations like "their/there/they're" errors, don't get me started.

Incidentally, the period belongs inside your quoted "correct." Such mistakes are upper echelon, though. My beef is with the exceedingly obvious errors.

#25485 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

dog the bounty hunter (resized).jpgdog the bounty hunter (resized).jpg
#25486 2 years ago

The one that bugs me the most here these days is "manufacture," when they mean "manufacturer."

Followed closely by "use to," when they mean "used to."

As a result, I use to help me deal with people who think the past tense of "use" is "use."

Why has no one designed an app, browser extension, or whatever to correct other people's sloppy writing before you see it? On the fly, just for you, maybe optionally highlighting corrected items and showing you the original when you hover the mouse pointer over it. I'm tired of my eye-rolling muscles always being sore!

#25487 2 years ago

May not hit 30,000

#25488 2 years ago

Speaking of dogs I got a new puppy. Little Carmela Cannoli

446769F4-9A64-457A-BC84-AD9F042618A9 (resized).jpeg446769F4-9A64-457A-BC84-AD9F042618A9 (resized).jpeg

The cats tried to lock us out but they’ll get over it.

B16FF45D-C072-44A3-8C2B-90BF129F4AF3 (resized).jpegB16FF45D-C072-44A3-8C2B-90BF129F4AF3 (resized).jpeg

#25489 2 years ago

I could care less about grammar...all this banter just flustrates me

#25490 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

And I'm amazed at the condescending assholes that feel the need to point out a simple mistake someone made....like they've never made a similar mistake.

Am I still a condescending asshole if I haven't? I've understood the simple concept of percentages for, oh, 50+ years now, and I see obvious errors all the time in this regard. Just today, I saw some numbnuts on Twitter saying how he needed help from two colleagues (at Reason magazine!) to figure out that the 103 maskless pedestrians and 61 with masks he saw on his scooter ride to work worked out to 37% masked.

Amazement is a good thing, anyway. Complaining about valid complaints isn't.

And by the way, it's "assholes WHO feel the need" -- assholes are people too!
Screenshot_20210823-121720 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210823-121720 (resized).png

#25491 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m thinking Robert purchased the PCB machines to combat expected part shortages due to Covid. In his deluded mind this was probably one of the biggest threats to his 15k per year production schedule.
And / or to combat the so called “pinball parts Mafia”.

....or Robert simply didn't care, because it was other people's money and he enjoyed playing the role of 'pinball CEO' so much.......we can't apply standards of a "rational actor", or "reasonable entrepreneur", or "investment decisions" to the series of choices Robert made. At the end of the day, misappropriating up to $58m of other people's money is highly irrational. Other decisions like paying for school fees, or divorces from company funds- Robert is educated enough to know that it would be classified as untaxed salary, but he didn't care & did it anyway

#25492 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Snoop-Dogg-Says-Hot-Wheels-Pinball-is-DOPE (resized).pngSnoop-Dogg-Says-Hot-Wheels-Pinball-is-DOPE (resized).png
#25493 2 years ago

Down to grammar arguments and Benny has thrown in the towel finally. His work is done here.

Now we must find Jpop so he can rest peacefully

#25494 2 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Someone posted this link in another thread...

#25495 2 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

I’m draining this thread with a $1k donation to project pinball. Send me a PM Jellikit. Need to get the stench washed off of me and get back to goodness

#25496 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Down to grammar arguments and Benny has thrown in the towel finally. His work is done here.
Now we must find Jpop so he can rest peacefully

Dumping on JPOP is just a hobby for me.

End of the day he doesn't affect me but he does manage to keep stealing money from suckers like YOU.

#25497 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Dumping on JPOP is just a hobby for me.
End of the day he doesn't affect me but he does manage to keep stealing money from suckers like YOU.

He got $4950 from me in 2014. Glad that makes you happy. It means nothing to me. I hope that fact sinks in for you.

It’s more than a hobby for you when you call him the antichrist and post hundreds of comments here against him.

GL to you in the future. I hope you get the help you need. Adios Benny

#25498 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He got $4950 from me in 2014. Glad that makes you happy. It means nothing to me. I hope that fact sinks in for you.
It’s more than a hobby for you when you call him the antichrist and post hundreds of comments here against him.
GL to you in the future. I hope you get the help you need. Adios Benny

If he got $4950 from you, why did you get over $6k in deeproot credit per your public account?

(Someone else ask him since he won’t see this)

#25499 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

And by the way, it's "assholes WHO feel the need" -- assholes are people too!
[quoted image]

Ohhh, you hit one there. I constantly find myself making the that/who error. I've been trying to break myself of it for YEARS, but "that" is the default position in my brain.

#25500 2 years ago

"For sell" and "time to sale my . . ." bug me the most.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 510 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/510?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.