• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 503 of 669.
#25101 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You've never heard of people starting busiensses with loans and investors instead of their own assets?

Nah, too risky.

#25102 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The inference here is they are blaming TWIP for 'knowing' and sitting on it. I guess...
It does feel completely bat-shit crazy that RM tells someone outside the business this... someone who is a reporter/news site... but it doesn't come out? Obviously we weren't there, but you gotta think that was news worthy??

But...how many people knew that Jeff inadvertently sat on this information? Seems like the obvious answer is two. Jeff...and RM.

#25103 2 years ago

Who would threaten Jeff and why?

Don’t let the bastards wear you down Jeff. Take a little break and then hop back on the horse. The people making threats are idiotic morons.

If it’s Mueller behind it after getting trampled by the SEC then he really is beyond F Ed up.

#25104 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It does feel completely bat-shit crazy that RM tells someone outside the business this... someone who is a reporter/news site... but it doesn't come out? Obviously we weren't there, but you gotta think that was news worthy??

Talkers like to talk. Most of it just ends up being filler nonsense.

As for someone mixing up FCC and SEC when hearing it over the phone...completely understandable. Those two can sound quite similar, especially if you have a preconceived notion about hearing one over the other, especially back then vs now.

#25105 2 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I had heard of 3 working machines including the one that was being taken to shows. I don't know if that is the one on location at Galloping Ghost, I was under the impression that it wasn't.
[quoted image]

I heard that was the Fife game, which was not the show game.

#25106 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

But...how many people knew that Jeff inadvertently sat on this information? Seems like the obvious answer is two. Jeff...and RM.

well from his own admitance.. apparently there is a 3rd party he's not naming. And you know what they say about secrets...

#25107 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

In a way Robert scammed himself.
His original sales goals for MG/RAZA/AIW were insane, something like 8k total units. Insanity, but I guess he believed his own BS?
So he takes money out of the till. "I can double this money and put back what I took before the boss notices it's gone!"
But now it's taking longer than he thought to develop a pin.
So he doubles down. Sunk cost fallacy. Spends more to shore up the original "investment" Gets even deeper in the hole and... Here we are.

He should really avoid black jack tables in his future.

#25108 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Talkers like to talk. Most of it just ends up being filler nonsense.
As for someone mixing up FCC and SEC when hearing it over the phone...completely understandable. Those two can sound quite similar, especially if you have a preconceived notion about hearing one over the other, especially back then vs now.

I'm not questioning how someone hears FCC vs SEC... but don't you think that's a follow-up question? I mean, I hope most people would be confused when they hear the FCC is stepping into a pre-release coin-op company? And even if not... the talk about a shutdown.. is also quite newsworthy. Let's not forget, people were willing to publish even the slightest non-sense this guy spewed before. I get if Jeff were 'just done with them...' and trying to distance himself, but there seems like a lot of things stretching to keep that quiet given the prior setup.

I mean, maybe he got sue-scared and sat on it that way... but Jeff didn't mention that either. Instead playing it off as not apparently being understood as consequential at the time. I mean hindsight and all.. but still the story he shares makes you wonder why he'd sit on it.

#25109 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not questioning how someone hears FCC vs SEC... but don't you think that's a follow-up question? I mean, I hope most people would be confused when they hear the FCC is stepping into a pre-release coin-op company? And even if not... the talk about a shutdown.. is also quite newsworthy. Let's not forget, people were willing to publish even the slightest non-sense this guy spewed before. I get if Jeff were 'just done with them...' and trying to distance himself, but there seems like a lot of things stretching to keep that quiet given the prior setup.
I mean, maybe he got sue-scared and sat on it that way... but Jeff didn't mention that either. Instead playing it off as not apparently being understood as consequential at the time. I mean hindsight and all.. but still the story he shares makes you wonder why he'd sit on it.

I suspect the call was off the record and that they discussed things Jeff chooses not to disclose (like any clarifications Jeff requested)

#25110 2 years ago

You can't be blackmailed if you have nothing to hide.

This gives me pause.

But if it's just a mess he can't deal with right now, that's understandable. Take a break. if it's the threats, fuck them. Anonamous means they don't want to be outed either.

#25111 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

I don't think this is necessarily true. You can be blackmailed with the threat of an accusation, even if the accusation is false.

#25112 2 years ago

Does this mean Kaneda won’t win another Twipy?

#25113 2 years ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

I don't think this is necessarily true. You can be blackmailed with the threat of an accusation, even if the accusation is false.

True. But with his reputation he should be fine.

This shit just got another shade of fucked up.

What ever happened to the tag line I had at the end of every RGP post I had used thousands of times?

"Hey, It's Only Pinball!"

#25114 2 years ago

Deleted.

#25115 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

This gives me pause.

After being on this planet for over six decades and working where I did, I can't tell you how incorrect this statement is.

Desparate people convince themselves that their suspicions are real.

There's an old adage...Repeat a lie three times and it becomes the truth. I've known many people who swear things happened that never did; (my brother being one).

#25116 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

In a way Robert scammed himself.
His original sales goals for MG/RAZA/AIW were insane, something like 8k total units. Insanity, but I guess he believed his own BS?
So he takes money out of the till. "I can double this money and put back what I took before the boss notices it's gone!"
But now it's taking longer than he thought to develop a pin.
So he doubles down. Sunk cost fallacy. Spends more to shore up the original "investment" Gets even deeper in the hole and... Here we are.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/nick-leeson-barings-bank.asp

#25117 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The inference here is they are blaming TWIP for 'knowing' and sitting on it. I guess...

On the other hand, if you are wrong, it could destroy a fledgling company(If the company were on the up and up). And without a real source, could put him in some trouble?

#25118 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

But what does the world do with Jpop now ?
Would a Starbucks give Jpop a job ?
Or would there be too much noodling with the coffee grounds ?

From what I'm hearing, John would write his own name on every take-out cup.

#25119 2 years ago

Interesting reading all the stuff out there. Things could of been different, & a different result if other things happened. I believe if all his 3 pins were completely finished & played decently a company would of sold thousands of them. Unfortunately Deeproot Pinball had no real intention to manufacture games. They could of been running many different lines with JPOP & all the other designers at the same time.
https://popsci.tumblr.com/post/159568011538/at-16000-magic-girl-was-the-worlds-most

#25120 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Anyone who has worked in high tech knows exactly how this went.
Engineers: we can do a quarter of what you asked for in 9 months
Exec: great, look forward to 110% of the functionality in 3 months, plus I already sold it; thanks for your passion, you can expense pizza for weekend evenings
We all know whose fault it is when the project fails.

Two weeks.

#25121 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

From what I'm hearing, John would write his own name on every take-out cup.

Even in this labor market I don't think Starbucks is hiring a 60 year old man who looks like a melted candle made of earwax.

#25122 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Things could of been different, & a different result if other things happened.

NO FUCKING SHIT!

#25123 2 years ago

Things could of been different, & a different result if other things happened.

6F596FF9-C7B4-4A8A-8676-12DC5C713B91.gif6F596FF9-C7B4-4A8A-8676-12DC5C713B91.gif
#25124 2 years ago

jpop already making waves the first day at his new job

starbucks03 (resized).jpgstarbucks03 (resized).jpg
#25126 2 years ago

I was so busy scrolling Deeproot memes, I didn’t realize we made it to 500 pages!

A47B6574-7042-4B1F-A7DE-CE9F3C7B149B.gifA47B6574-7042-4B1F-A7DE-CE9F3C7B149B.gif
#25127 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

After being on this planet for over six decades and working where I did, I can't tell you how incorrect this statement is.
Desparate people convince themselves that their suspicions are real.
There's an old adage...Repeat a lie three times and it becomes the truth. I've known many people who swear things happened that never did; (my brother being one).

It's pinball. How can someone blackmail you over pinball?

None of this adds up.

But I just played some awesome games on my new BSD. Time to hit the hay.

Tomorrow's a new day!

#25128 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I asked for better resolution pictures of the inside and this is what I recieved. If I hear anything further I will pass it along.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

"I'M CRAZY BOB AND YOU'RE TRAPPED IN MY JUNK YARD"

#25129 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade: There's an old adage...Repeat a lie three times and it becomes the truth. I've known many people who swear things happened that never did; (my brother being one).

33A0574E-CFEA-48BC-A033-8E863E28E654 (resized).jpeg33A0574E-CFEA-48BC-A033-8E863E28E654 (resized).jpeg
#25130 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

It's pinball. How can someone blackmail you over pinball?
None of this adds up.
But I just played some awesome games on my new BSD. Time to hit the hay.
Tomorrow's a new day!

Not sure I understand your analogy. Pinball is exempt from everything else?

Enjoy BSD. Fun pin.

#25131 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You've never heard of people starting busiensses with loans and investors instead of their own assets?

Sorry for any ambiguity in my post. What I was trying to get across is the question if the 575 misappropriated funds were the only source of finance for Deeproot Pinball? If RM only used this source of funding, rather than loans, or other capital investors, then it puts to bed the "breaking bad", or "Robert lost his way" narrative. If the 575 was the only source of capital investment, then he started the pinball company with bad intentions from day 1.

....just my speculation on the allegations against RM to date

#25132 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well, normally manufacturers need to go through the process to obtain an FCC electronics certification. When talking about electronics & manufacturing, it's not unusual for the topic of the FCC regulations to enter the conversation. I don't know if too many pinheads would be terribly interested in the details of working through all those rules & regulations, though. So maybe all that could've been why Jeff didn't catch its significance and dive into it? Who knows.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think many of us expected deeproot to implode because of business/manufacturing reasons, not because the SEC stepped in.

Beyond that, I have no idea what the conversation was actually like, what the relationship was like, what the publishing goals were, etc.

Back when I was publishing stuff, I was usually pretty careful about posting anything negative that couldn't be substantiated by outside sources with physical/printed/published evidence. If something turned out to be false, you'd be in hot water and leave yourself open to libel. Of course, you could always walk the thin line by effectively saying "according to sources...", but it's better to have actual facts than print random rumors that are floating around.

You can speculate and opine on a forum or chat room all day long, but engaging in discourse is a bit different than actually publishing something; there is (or should be) a slightly higher standard when doing that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#25133 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter. Even if he did sit on the information, it doesn't change the DR story. What RM did is on him, not on Jeff, and it's not like he works at CNN and sat on some story involving national security. My dad always told me never to share anything I didn't want repeated....someone always talks!

#25134 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, normally manufacturers need to go through the process to obtain an FCC electronics certification. When talking about electronics & manufacturing, it's not unusual for the topic of the FCC regulations to enter the conversation. I don't know if too many pinheads would be terribly interested in the details of working through all those rules & regulations, though. So maybe all that could've been why Jeff didn't catch its significance and dive into it? Who knows.[quoted image]

I've been involved with EMI testing, and I thought the same thing with your earlier post (FCC vs. SEC, being easily misunderstood over a call).

#25135 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, normally manufacturers need to go through the process to obtain an FCC electronics certification. When talking about electronics & manufacturing, it's not unusual for the topic of the FCC regulations to enter the conversation. I don't know if too many pinheads would be terribly interested in the details of working through all those rules & regulations, though. So maybe all that could've been why Jeff didn't catch its significance and dive into it? Who knows.

Yeah, especially with those goofy cabinets, it's quite reasonable to assume issues with FCC. Can you keep EMI under control in those stilts for the head?

SEC isn't a term used much when discussing pinball manufacturing.

And if you say the acronyms aloud, they do sound almost exactly alike.

#25136 2 years ago

Interesting reading all the stuff out there. Things could of been different, & a different result if other things happened. I believe if all his 3 pins were completely finished & played decently a company would of sold thousands of them. Unfortunately Deeproot Pinball had no real intention to manufacture games. They could of been running many different lines with JPOP & all the other designers at the same time.
https://popsci.tumblr.com/post/159568011538/at-16000-magic-girl-was-the-worlds-most

You actually make my gut turn circles when I read your posts.

How does someone like you exist. I feel like you have already made a deal with the devil and you are here trying to convince yourself it was a good choice.

If you are trolling it's not funny.
If you are serious get your head checked by someone please.

#25137 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Robin has built in the capability for Pinside to automatically prevent these kind of gut wrenching accidents... however, I still read his posts just to keep my cringing muscles in my gut in shape... they have been getting a real workout lately, however...

#25138 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I just like to stir the pot and put off studying for my PE exam

which discipline? I did my FE in mechanical, but then got too far into software to have the experience needed for the PE.

#25139 2 years ago

if all his 3 pins were completely finished & played decently a company would of sold thousands of them

If only me auntie had bollocks she’d be me uncle.

#25140 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

If only me auntie had bollocks she’d be me uncle.

https://twitter.com/lewisa95/status/1394643746394984449

#25141 2 years ago

Do you think Robert meant SEC certification when he said UL?

#25142 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

How does someone like you exist. I feel like you have already made a deal with the devil and you are here trying to convince yourself it was a good choice.

If your post was written differently, the outcome would have been different. If you truly tried to like his posts, there's still a chance you would like them. I have experience in helping people like posts like his, and I know of others secretly doing so as well. Maybe someday I'll be able to tell their story.

#25143 2 years ago

Nope

#25144 2 years ago

I'm a Dapper Dan man.

#25145 2 years ago

Smart, RM goes to after everyone who posted in this thread. Did you also get a PM?

#25146 2 years ago
Quoted from Beechwood:

This gives me pause.
But if it's just a mess he can't deal with right now, that's understandable. Take a break. if it's the threats, fuck them. Anonamous means they don't want to be outed either.

Everyone has something to hide; if you don’t, you may or may not be doing life wrong

#25147 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

Everyone has something to hide; if you don’t, you may or may not be doing life wrong

what are you saying?? - being a mild mannered pinhead doesn‘t cut it anymore?

#25148 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

THAT is bullshit. Whoever did that is demonstrably wrong, and coward at that. TWIP isn't investigative journalism. You don't do that shit to someone else trying to help the hobby. Whoever did that, come at me next. Coward. Coward.

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 6.49.22 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-08-31 at 6.49.22 AM (resized).png

#25149 2 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 6.54.29 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-08-31 at 6.54.29 AM (resized).png

#25150 2 years ago

Interesting video from cary hardy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 503 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/503?hl=veemonroe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.