View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 495 of 672.
#24701 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Deeproot had serious problems from the get go. No production just a few Raza prototypes - how hard & how much time do you really think that took minus the pinbar. Guess blame that all on JPOP being slow, I bet he did not even do those. But like everything we will be mostly taking a guess until the employees come out with the true story. The only one to blame here with taking the money is Robert.
Even though the pinbar was a bad idea from the start. That idea will likely be introduced in other forms into pinball games (Stern looks like the first). Looking back the same with JPOP & Zidware with very bad money management along with other failures in the industry. You have to start manufacturing games from the start & keep going, build your sales from Day1.
JPOP & his games (pre Zidware) are likely no different in sales volume as others. Things may have been different all these years if JPOP had a proper money manager, & someone to guide him along to get goals done. Just think how history might of been different if American Pinball had done thousands of JPOP games, & at this time they were the same or better than JJP.

What the Fuck you smoking in Halifax?
It really is time to stop discrediting yourself. Close your pinside account, and stop posting.
You obviously don't get it. Repeatedly trying to explain yourself is not helping.
Take up darts, lawnbowling, some senior stuff in your town.
Just stop, no really, stop.

#24702 2 years ago

Halifax has a Curlling Club. Curl, drink beer and watch Hockey. Canada !

#24703 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

My post got pinged by a mod for not being kind to GWJ. I don’t disagree. I was mad. Meanwhile there are folks in here still trying to score a toy on the financial ruin of strangers.
If your stating your hopes as facts and information. Please stop. That’s all I ask. There are a ton of people that have been financially hurt by this situation by these individuals that have been fraudulent. Trying to spin this into a “hey we can still get our machines, follow me!” Is just in bad taste at this point. These designs are tainted….they were paid for by people that were duped out of their savings. Owning a food truck or a goonies should be the last thing on your minds right now. What you think if these ever come they won’t have been brought about by fraud? No.
Tainted.

I get that the mods job is a ridiculously hard one. But at what point are they going to start moderating troll posts ? So the idea here is that GWJ can try to push everyone’s buttons with posts that are off in space, but we are just not supposed to respond ? I want a mod ping to be implemented for “Stop bring a troll”

#24704 2 years ago

I don't know if he is trolling or serious .

People preordered - some things defy logic ! greatwich could be serious too I suppose.

#24705 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Intentional or incidental if you keep posting the exact same “John is just misunderstood” post again and again and again ….. you are being a troll. There is an option we have for that and I have taken it (dare not say since that is an infraction to do so), but it should not be incumbent on 50 or 100 users to take said action to avoid being triggered by GWJ

#24706 2 years ago

Deeproot had serious problems from the get go. No production just a few Raza prototypes - how hard & how much time do you really think that took minus the pinbar. Guess blame that all on JPOP being slow, I bet he did not even do those. But like everything we will be mostly taking a guess until the employees come out with the true story. The only one to blame here with taking the money is Robert.
Even though the pinbar was a bad idea from the start. That idea will likely be introduced in other forms into pinball games (Stern looks like the first). Looking back the same with JPOP & Zidware with very bad money management along with other failures in the industry. You have to start manufacturing games from the start & keep going, build your sales from Day1.
JPOP & his games (pre Zidware) are likely no different in sales volume as others. Things may have been different all these years if JPOP had a proper money manager, & someone to guide him along to get goals done. Just think how history might of been different if American Pinball had done thousands of JPOP games, & at this time they were the same or better than JJP.

Johnny boy... I have a great idea!!! Why don't YOU hire Jpop at "Great Pinball"??? Just imagine the incredible heights you and the other John will achieve together! With your aparent brains and his unbridled genius, the sky is the limit. Seriously, you guys will become the great Canadian pinball power couple the industry wants and deserves.

#24707 2 years ago

Things may have been different all these years if JPOP had a proper money manager, & someone to guide him along to get goals done.

This is revisionary not visionary. JPop was NOT managed because you can't manage a lazy narcissistic diva. You can not give them a goal and expect them to reach it at any pace other than the one THEY choose. They have no concept of consequences because they are the most important person in their own mind, and nobody is going to change that. At this point, one must question your intelligence, sanity, and your intent. Their is no raising up from the ashes, no last second reprieve, no possible way that these designs, this half baked, partial proof of concept junk has any value going forward. They were built on the backs of 300 investors duped out of 50+ million, and you really think they will see the light of day? You are delusional, inept, incompetent, and the epitome of why JPop has influenced you beyond fandom or even some kind of sick and twisted fanboy crush. No one person in pinball is nearly or clearly as washed up in this industry as he is. Of everything I have ever seen come out of him post B/W, it has been nothing but commissioned art scrawled on foamcore with some purple glitter and blinking lights.

One thing is absolutely true, however, and you may want to rethink the crown you currently are wearing, but I personally believe you are the most dense person in pinball right now, so congratulations on the title.

#24708 2 years ago

So we should all ask, at what point does someone in our industry behave so egregiously that users should band together to prevent others in this industry from injury ? I would argue that whatever that threshold is that JPOP when when he took $1M and returned nothing crossed it long ago. We gave him a partial stay of decree when DR picked him up and gave the illusion of making enough people whole to avoid that sentence. But as we saw, illusion it was, due to it being an even bigger scam than before. If people want to understand the outrage at GWJ posts, either just being a troll, or the most ungodly clueless person I have come across on this forum, it is that. Some may say, “Hey did you personally get taken for a ride by JPOP ?” and if not tell us to move along. I would argue one doesn’t have to wait until 10, 100, or 1000 of us have been taken advantage of by that worthless pin designer before making it a mission that that he “not work in this town again”.

#24709 2 years ago

JPOP & his games (pre Zidware) are likely no different in sales volume as others.

False. RAZA had less than 100 legitimate pre orders. No one really wants his games.

Look if Stern doesn’t want him, because Gomez is smart and knows he sucks, doesn’t that tell you something?

If he couldn’t get a working complete Magic Girl, despite years of time and millions of dollars, doesn’t that tell you something?

If Pintasia could spend a million dollars and decide it’s not worth it, doesn’t that tell you something?

If we rob $58 million from little old ladies and give JPOP five years to complete literally one game and he fails, DOESN’T THAT TELL YOU SOMETHING?

The guy is not just a monumental fuck up; he’s a fraud and a thief. You don’t take preorders for more and more games to cover the incompetence of not being able to do basic excel spreadsheet / back of the napkin math. The fact that so many people have fallen for his bullshit is remarkable.

Do you think Keith Elwin “needs to be managed”? Or George Gomez? No. They show up to work and build games. They delegate what they are not good at, and iterate on what they are. When is the last time Stern delayed a game for a year because a designer was noodling? Fucking never.

#24710 2 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

False. RAZA had less than 100 legitimate pre orders. No one really wants his games.
Look if Stern doesn’t want him, because Gomez is smart and knows he sucks, doesn’t that tell you something?
If he couldn’t get a working complete Magic Girl, despite years of time and millions of dollars, doesn’t that tell you something?
If Pintasia could spend a million dollars and decide it’s not worth it, doesn’t that tell you something?
If we rob $58 million from little old ladies and give JPOP five years to complete literally one game and he fails, DOESN’T THAT TELL YOU SOMETHING?
The guy is not just a monumental fuck up; he’s a fraud and a thief. You don’t take preorders for more and more games to cover the incompetence of not being able to do basic excel spreadsheet / back of the napkin math. The fact that so many people have fallen for his bullshit is remarkable.
Do you think Keith Elwin “needs to be managed”? Or George Gomez? No. They show up to work and build games. They delegate what they are not good at, and iterate on what they are. When is the last time Stern delayed a game for a year because a designer was noodling? Fucking never.

Counterpoint: all of these stern games that Actually exist lack that “jpop magic!”

#24711 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Counterpoint: all of these stern games that Actually exist lack that “jpop magic!”

jpop is an illusion.

Liked by people with Delusions..

#24712 2 years ago

It's a hard thing to accept, but some artists only have 4 great artworks in them (Jpop). Just because someone has made 4 great pinball machines a long time ago, does not mean that they have the capability or competence to continue to keep creating great pinball machines for the rest of their years.

The same thing happens in visual art, music and movies. It is significantly harder to keep releasing consistently great pieces of art.

Jpop is a sunk cost. Let him go.

#24713 2 years ago

I like how the right ramp on Theater of Magic is impossible to make consistently due to wonky geometry.

It’s so Jpop!

#24714 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Is that supposed to be Bill Clinton?

Yes.

#24715 2 years ago

Anyone with any knowledge of the situation and wondering why they should AVOID Jpop PERIOD - in every way - need only watch the 6 minutes and 45 seconds between 14:45 to 21:30. It’s all right here man:

What a loon.

#24716 2 years ago

I've reported greatwichjohn for Advocating for a Known Scammer.

John must be ended and any continued support of his criminal activities should not be tolerated.

Who's with me?

#24717 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

John must be ended and any continued support of his criminal activities should not be tolerated.
Who's with me?

I'm with you. Jpop needs to be flushed down the toilet.

#24718 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Who's with me?

You know I’m in

#24719 2 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Anyone with any knowledge of the situation and wondering why they should AVOID Jpop PERIOD - in every way - need only watch the 6 minutes and 45 seconds between 14:45 to 21:30. It’s all right here man:

What a loon.

I keep looking at the facial reactions of those on the panel. They must have known that he was lying in that moment

#24720 2 years ago

But what does the world do with Jpop now ?

Would a Starbucks give Jpop a job ?

Or would there be too much noodling with the coffee grounds ?

#24721 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

This thread is crazy, and I can't keep up with it all. Was it earlier in this thread or a different one where Millionaire Matchmaker was mentioned? I'd never watched that show before, but I did find the Bill B episode. I don't know Bill at all, but he seems like a great dude here on Pinside! Heck, he apparently spent (and unfortunately wasted) tons of good money on trying to save the Popadiuk dumpster years dumpster fire. The TV episode is interesting. Hey Bill, (if you see this post) can you give us some background info on how you ended up on that show? They pretty much made you out to be a "bad guy" in the beginning (even giving you the middle finger), but by the end you were a "good guy"! I've heard that reality shows edit stuff to make it look more dramatic and/or change might have signed?
PS: Whoever that "millionaire matchmaker" is...she mostly comes across as an arrogant, know-it-all, asshat.

Ah damn it's a long story however in a nut shell.... Never heard of the show they called me to do it. I wanted the new hotel on the show for publicity and they said they have never been outside of LA let alone another country. I said fine get yourself another guy after all you have a whole LA full of Rareheroes to choose from! They caved and voila a new Hotel was born! Yes they manipulate the content! Cheers!

#24722 2 years ago

Oh and what you saw on TV no longer exists, all six Hotel buildings have systematically been replaced. So you wouldn't recognize it.

20200804_205608~3 (resized).jpg20200804_205608~3 (resized).jpg20210322_140623 (resized).jpg20210322_140623 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200714-063245_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200714-063245_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200830-181635_Facebook~2 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200830-181635_Facebook~2 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141359_Facebook~3 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141359_Facebook~3 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141526_Facebook~2 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141526_Facebook~2 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141614_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141614_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141745_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141745_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141928_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210127-141928_Facebook (resized).jpgreceived_164433288691534~2 (resized).jpegreceived_164433288691534~2 (resized).jpeg
#24723 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Ah damn it's a long story however in a nut shell.... Never heard of the show they called me to do it. I wanted the new hotel on the show for publicity and they said they have never been outside of LA let alone another country. I said fine get yourself another guy after all you have a whole LA full of Rareheroes to choose from! They caved and voila a new Hotel was born! Yes they manipulate the content! Cheers!

You were on Millionaire Matchmaker!!?? My cable provider doesn't have Bravo in the lineup, anyplace else I can watch it? Looks like S2 E2?

#24724 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

You were on Millionaire Matchmaker!!?? My cable provider doesn't have Bravo in the lineup, anyplace else I can watch it? Looks like S2 E2?

I think it's time to move on!

#24725 2 years ago

Bill can you use your hotel skills to create a bunker deep within the earth we can store Jpop in? Kind of like nuclear waste?

#24726 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Bill can you use your hotel skills to create a bunker deep within the earth we can store Jpop in? Kind of like nuclear waste?

I would Ben however i'm more the type that executes with as much return per sq ft as a Hotel can procure! This seems opposite?

#24727 2 years ago

One of the biggest surprises over the last few weeks was not that DR ended up being a massive failure, but that greatwhichjohn would emerge at the last minute and take the lead of being the biggest troll in this thread!

Truly, a massive upset in this multi-year race.

#24728 2 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

One of the biggest surprises over the last few weeks was not that DR ended up being a massive failure, but that greatwhichjohn would emerge at the last minute and take the lead of being the biggest troll in this thread!
Truly, a massive upset in this multi-year race.

I saw 100000 to 1 Vegas odds on this and didn’t take the bet. Damn !

#24729 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I would Ben however i'm more the type that executes with as much return per sq ft as a Hotel can procure! This seems opposite?

Maybe the government will pay you to bury the waste. Like a superfund site!

#24730 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I think it's time to move on!

LOL, fair enough!

#24731 2 years ago

We gave you Celine Dion, Justin Bieber, Nickleback , JPOP and soon Greatwichjohn .... won't you guys ever be satisfied!

#24732 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

As much as I enjoyed the interview with Ben, there was much revisionist history regarding Pinside and why Chris was finally 86ed.

Getting a downvote from a new account for posts like this always makes me shake my head.

#24733 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

We gave you Celine Dion, Justin Bieber, Nickleback , JPOP and soon Greatwichjohn .... won't you guys ever be satisfied!

Ha! You also gave us SCTV, Neil Young, Bruce Cockburn, Joni Mitchell, Barenaked Ladies, Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot.

Not bad!

#24734 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Ha! You also gave us SCTV, Neil Young, Bruce Cockburn, Joni Mitchell, Barenaked Ladies, Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot.
Not bad!

#24735 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

JPop may be hard to work with and almost unmanageable, but I have no doubt of the man's passion for pinball and his genius at game design...it looks easy but it's incredibly difficult to come up with new layout ideas in that limited rectangular space.
Try it yourself, jot down on a napkin a layout idea for a even a simple game that's fun to shoot (without copying J.Borg, S.Ritchie, P.Lawlor layout signatures we're all very familiar with). Then consider all the mechanical parts needed to make it work and the complexity of the circuitry and wiring underneath.
In a pinball development team, layout and mechanics is the toughest task of all, that requires the most skill, because it's pretty much set in stone early on. Code can evolve over many years, even decades later new ideas from new coders can be added to a game. As demonstrated here with Terminator 2:

Audio can also be improved, as new technology allows for full audio replacement in pinball games.
But you can't change the shot layout (not in the real physical world of pinball). And you never need to.
If JPop's talent can somehow be controlled and managed, we'd see some great games from him in the future.
It's just rotten luck he was suckered into joining the DeepRoot scam, so soon after his own failed business attempt.
Pinball needs diversity to keep it fresh and interesting.....it needs JPop's crazy ideas.

Bruh...lol. all jpop does is draw some crazy lines on paper with no regard to the mechanics underneath or hell even physics and that's where he stops.

#24736 2 years ago

Maybe Robert is gonna put what money is left in a plastic barrel and him and JPOP can elope down to Mexico.

The DeepShank Redemption.

#24737 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

As for John: managing someone involves getting them from point A to point B as efficiently as possible.

I'd rather hire someone who can get from A to B on their own.

#24738 2 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I saw 100000 to 1 Vegas odds on this and didn’t take the bet. Damn !

Just one Canadian protecting another.

#24739 2 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Not bad!

Let's not forget Lorne Greene as well....

#24740 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

…..Anyway, here are my dogs trying to take control of this thread again.
Say, would anyone else out there happen to have a pet photo to drown out the greatwich?
[quoted image]

IMG_8978 (resized).jpgIMG_8978 (resized).jpg
#24741 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

You also gave us Bryan Adams so we will call it even.

#24742 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Exactly! That's master level trolling.

#24743 2 years ago

Nathan Fielder

#24744 2 years ago

JPOP is not gone from pinball. GWJ is proof, and there are many like him, and many more who aren’t on pinside, or don’t post.

This thread is compromised of the same 30-40 people posting the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER.

JPOP will rise again with a fresh set of suckers, and they will even include many of the people who he’s already ripped off.

Not because JPOP is a genius who just needs to be managed. That’s CLEARLY not the case.

Not because JPOP holds the keys to pinball magic. Also, CLEARLY not the case.

Simply because people are idiots, and Pinside has no reach outside of us super hardcore pinheads.

I wish it weren’t so, but people want his magic SO BADLY… even after it’s been shown in a thousand ways that said magic does not exist, or didn’t come from John, or that he’s incapable of performing the trick.

There’s a sucker born every minute, and plenty were born in the 60s and 70s, and now they have cash to burn. Step right up… JPOP has a fresh book of magic matches again!!

#24745 2 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

JPOP is not gone from pinball. GWJ is proof, and there are many like him, and many more who aren’t on pinside, or don’t post.
This thread is compromised of the same 30-40 people posting the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER.
JPOP will rise again with a fresh set of suckers, and they will even include many of the people who he’s already ripped off.
Not because JPOP is a genius who just needs to be managed. That’s CLEARLY not the case.
Not because JPOP holds the keys to pinball magic. Also, CLEARLY not the case.
Simply because people are idiots, and Pinside has no reach outside of us super hardcore pinheads.
I wish it weren’t so, but people want his magic SO BADLY… even after it’s been shown in a thousand ways that said magic does not exist, or didn’t come from John, or that he’s incapable of performing the trick.
There’s a sucker born every minute, and plenty were born in the 60s and 70s, and now they have cash to burn. Step right up… JPOP has a fresh book of magic matches again!!

While I agree that Pinside does not have nearly as much impact on the hobby as many people believe, and that there are a lot of idiots out there, I think his track record is so firmly and negatively established at this point, that I just can't even imagine any current or upcoming pinball company hiring his stupid ass.

#24746 2 years ago

You are unfortunately and undoubtedly correct.

He will be viewed by some contingent as a shiny “precious” to be had as ones own. And little doubt he views himself as a genius who has just had some unfortunate things happen to him all beyond his own control.

All any of us can do is when a JPOP sighting alert goes off is make sure that whomever is handing him money is aware of his past. But yes people are grownups, are easily able to dismiss any past transgressions (no matter how egregious) as GWJ well demonstrates, and idiocy does not end just because one is older than 18.

#24747 2 years ago

I can't imagine any pinball start up company in 2021,22,23,24, etc... would not have access to pinside and the toxicity of Jpop.

#24748 2 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I can't imagine any pinball start up company in 2021,22,23,24, etc... would not not have access to pinside and the toxicity of Jpop.

Yes but will they find anything out about POPJ ? You know, this undiscovered amazing new designer, who just happens to have an affinity for purple. No relation to JPOP I assure you.

#24749 2 years ago

Of interest but not anything surprising, these pictures were just taken 40 minutes ago and sent to me anonymously.
Make of them what you will.

thumbnail_IMG_3524 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3524 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3525 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3525 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3526 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3526 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3529 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3529 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3530 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3530 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3531 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3531 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3533 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3533 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3536 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3536 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3538 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3538 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3540 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3540 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3543 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3543 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3545 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3545 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3548 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3548 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3549 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3549 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3550 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3550 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3551 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3551 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3553 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3553 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3554 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3554 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3556 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3556 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3562 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3562 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3563 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3563 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3564 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_3564 (resized).jpg

#24750 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I like how the right ramp on Theater of Magic is impossible to make consistently due to wonky geometry.
It’s so Jpop!

Three weeks ago I sold a machine and in exchange got cash and took a TOM for essentially a four month free rental. Generally, I like the machine. I’m not a tournament player, but the right ramp shot is an absolute brick I can’t hit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,577 posts in this topic. You are on page 495 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/495?hl=alex_m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.