• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 669.
#2251 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

It’s a repost dude and now you look silly

No, taking someone's word without doing your own homework is how you look silly

#2252 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, taking someone's word without doing your own homework is how you look silly

Disagree. It was stated much earlier in the threads and other avenues. I remember this and so do many other people. Basically RUBBERDUCKS should have sourced it instead of just putting quotes and posting it. Knowing the source is important. But I remember this from long ago. This is NOT new news.

#2253 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Disagree. It was stated much earlier in the threads and other avenues. I remember this and so do many other people. Basically RUBBERDUCKS should have sourced it instead of just putting quotes and posting it. Knowing the source is important. But I remember this from long ago. This is NOT new news.

Rubberducks didn't post it.. I did. The source was not material to the discussion about the text and why it wasn't included. The source doesn't change anything about the discussion... the only reason the 'source' is even a subject is because robert tried to bury it as something old.

Newsflash - the offer was still made WELL AFTER jpop made the same claims - which is why the thing has stink associated with it.. not because it was 2018 or 2019.

Regardless, the offer was posted AGAIN just this week by TWIP. So tell me again how knowing that or not changes the discussion?

#2254 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Rubberducks didn't post it.. I did. The source was not material to the discussion about the text and why it wasn't included. The source doesn't change anything about the discussion... the only reason the 'source' is even a subject is because robert tried to bury it as something old.
Newsflash - the offer was still made WELL AFTER jpop made the same claims - which is why the thing has stink associated with it.. not because it was 2018 or 2019.
Regardless, the offer was posted AGAIN just this week by TWIP. So tell me again how knowing that or not changes the discussion?

You are correct, you posted it, I got the users mixed up. Folks are acting like this is NEW news that deeproot is trying to stay relevant in the face of Stern releasing Munsters, CGC's Oktoberfest, and Spooky's ACNC going full production. This isn't new news.
That giveaway has been known for a very long time and has nothing to do with current atmosphere or trying to keep up with other manufacturers.

#2255 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

I wasn't the OP, as has already been stated. Would it have mattered though? It's almost as outlandish a commitment / statement ~12 months ago as it is today. Might be an attempt to create good will, but it just sounds like a great way of pissing off your designers (except JPop) and fuelling disappointment.

#2256 5 years ago

I guess asking a relevant question like how does one enter said contest to win this “machine” from the designer of your choice might be asking too much, so I guess I will go look it up. A good piece of my time on the matter was spent reading people rant on how silly or stinky or outrageous it is to offer prizes yet to be imagined/designed/built/and revealed. Why would anyone care how realistic, or foolish, or bombastic, or ballsy a maneuver it is? If it gets you a pinball machine for free, would you care? And if you don’t want a free JPop DR machine could you enter anyways? So if you do win you can give it to me (Ok, maybe just sell it to me, I’ll be reasonable...)

#2257 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Regardless of when the idea was introduced, it was advertised in the Jan 10 post from TWIP as 'future giveaway' - so please don't try to flush this away as if someone were copying something old out place.
https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/december-giveaway-winners-january-giveaway-extravaganza-enter-now/
All the same cringe worthy promises in there still have their own stigmas
[quoted image]

I'd overlooked it, but I'm surprised no-one else commented.

I'm assuming this is a sneak preview of Mueller's bible game. That decal looks like vengeful, angry, old testament god / other figure.

afe4d2c4b584ee92d3af8b59dda5768d08919ba0.png (resized).jpgafe4d2c4b584ee92d3af8b59dda5768d08919ba0.png (resized).jpg

Or is this something I don't recognise from one of JPop's box of lights?

Edit: Magic Girl.

#2258 5 years ago

Soooo youre saying there is a chance of jpop personaly bringing a pinball mchine to someones house?

#2259 5 years ago

So other companies are giving TWIP t-shirts and translites to give away to promote their brands, and Deeproot is giving away 5 machines and paying for the designer to get on a plane and set it up in their house.

My "This doesn't make sense" rule is kicking in here.

#2260 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So other companies are giving TWIP t-shirts and translites to give away to promote their brands, and Deeproot is giving away 5 machines and paying for the designer to get on a plane and set it up in their house.
My "This doesn't make sense" rule is kicking in here.

Feels like deja vu all over again right Frolic

#2261 5 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Folks are acting like this is NEW news that deeproot is trying to stay relevant in the face of Stern releasing Munsters, CGC's Oktoberfest, and Spooky's ACNC going full production.

Ummm, just to be clear, Oktoberfest is a production of American Pinball, not CGC.

#2262 5 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Soooo youre saying there is a chance of jpop personaly bringing a pinball mchine to someones house?

If I win the Jpop machine, when he comes to drop it off i'll wear nothing but a g-string and make him very uncomfortable. Picture a 300lb yeti wearing butt floss lol.

#2263 5 years ago

Hey all! Just catching up on my Pinside reading and saw the updates to this thread. We've been doing the monthly sweepstakes since early last year, and the deeproot Future Giveaway Teaser blurb has been in there since it launched (so it runs on TWIP once or twice a month).

I reached out to all manufacturers and a bunch of other pinball companies (mods and such) to try to line up as many cool giveaways as I could, explaining that the giveaways would help support TWIP and keep the TWIP website running. I asked other manufacturers if they would be willing to give away a machine, they mostly said no (with one that said maybe someday). Robert very generously offered to giveaway a machine from each designer after deeproot officially launches.

We currently do about $1,000 worth of giveaways each month from 10+ companies depending on the month. There is no purchase necessary, it is free to enter - you don't have to support TWIP to be entered into the giveaway drawings. If you support TWIP monthly you're automatically entered each month, if you don't support TWIP monthly just send me your name and address and you'll be entered for that month.

#2264 5 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

If I win the Jpop machine, when he comes to drop it off i'll wear nothing but a g-string and make him very uncomfortable. Picture a 300lb yeti wearing butt floss lol.

"we're wearing the same thing, let's party!"
-jpop, probably

#2265 5 years ago

Here we have a new pinball company that has not asked any customers for deposits, is trying to compensate individuals impacted by the Zidware fiasco (which they have no obligation to do), and has offered to give away 5 machines after they launch, yet all Pinside does is bitch. What a bunch of babies we've become.

#2266 5 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

Hum...you'll need witnesses to validate and immortalize the event, am I am applying for the job!
Let me see just check first how much would cost a Paris-NY flight...probably worth every penny anyway!

#2267 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Hey all! Just catching up on my Pinside reading and saw the updates to this thread. We've been doing the monthly sweepstakes since early last year, and the deeproot Future Giveaway Teaser blurb has been in there since it launched (so it runs on TWIP once or twice a month).
I reached out to all manufacturers and a bunch of other pinball companies (mods and such) to try to line up as many cool giveaways as I could, explaining that the giveaways would help support TWIP and keep the TWIP website running. I asked other manufacturers if they would be willing to give away a machine, they mostly said no (with one that said maybe someday). Robert very generously offered to giveaway a machine from each designer after deeproot officially launches.
We currently do about $1,000 worth of giveaways each month from 10+ companies depending on the month. There is no purchase necessary, it is free to enter - you don't have to support TWIP to be entered into the giveaway drawings. If you support TWIP monthly you're automatically entered each month, if you don't support TWIP monthly just send me your name and address and you'll be entered for that month.

You put so much effort into running TWIP. I'm happy that you have the support of the community and manufacturers. You absolutely deserve it, Jeff.

Deeproot continues to interest me as it seems they've done more to support pinball (creating jobs, supporting shows, aiding Zidware customers, supporting pinball media hence increasing the exposure of pinball) than most of us here could ever do. To top it off...they haven't asked for anything in return except for our patience prior to their reveal. Thanks (Robert and staff) for what you've done so far and I look forward to what the future may bring.

#2268 5 years ago

Can I get a GoFundMe for winning a game from JP and having his 4 highest creditors come over for this magic event?

#2269 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBackpacker:

Here we have a new pinball company that has not asked any customers for deposits, is trying to compensate individuals impacted by the Zidware fiasco (which they have no obligation to do), and has offered to give away 5 machines after they launch, yet all Pinside does is bitch. What a bunch of babies we've become.

You missed the point. It's that they hired that crook to begin with. That's the main problem. When they do that, ALL of what they do or say is suspect.

#2270 5 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Hum...you'll need witnesses to validate and immortalize the event, am I am applying for the job!
Let me see just check first how much would cost a Paris-NY flight...probably worth every penny anyway!

I'm not sure it's honor a moderator this kind of comment. I was more used to read interresting distant comment.
Don't get all the negatives for things which is not even presented officially or potential commercial gift but it's just me.
I'm done here.

#2272 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

You missed the point. It's that they hired that crook to begin with. That's the main problem. When they do that, ALL of what they do or say is suspect.

Then don't buy from them. Life goes on...

#2273 5 years ago

Then don't buy from them. Life goes on...

Yes, I understand that....i'm just trying to explain why the mistrust, etc....

#2274 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, I understand that....i'm just trying to explain why the mistrust, etc....

Sure does seem that JPoop has some pull there, or at least the owners ear.

#2275 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Sure does seem that JPoop has some pull there, or at least the owners ear.

Well to me that’s a good thing, or else I wouldn’t be offered shit.

#2276 5 years ago

I was under the impression This Thread was about deep root pinball and what they might provide and a timeline of when they will have something to show.

I didn't realize it was a thread about past mistakes.

#2277 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I was under the impression This Thread was about deep root pinball and what they might provide and a timeline of when they will have something to show.
I didn't realize it was a thread about past mistakes.

It’s a thread about all that and more ....

Me, I can’t wait for the PF you can hit with a sledge hammer. ( granted I’m envisioning a small 5lb sledge, we call it a lump hammer). Maybe that’s just on the back to put in the t-nuts???

If I had to dream , it would be about Barry coming over the house and playing some Solar Fire, and Defender

Best of luck Barry! Hope this ends well

#2278 5 years ago

You know, none of this is being a baby, or bitching. Most of us are customers evaluating what product to buy. Many of us have direct experience in the pinball or related entertainment industries. It would be /really/ unwise to write these criticisms off.

In the wake of Zidware, Heighway, Skit-B and possibly Dutch Pinball it would be foolish indeed for any new pinball company to take deposits. For me, this is not something I would congratulate a company for doing; it is merely common sense.

To imply that DR offered compensation to Zidware customers purely out of the goodness of their own hearts, well, we will have to agree to disagree there. Jpop is an employee of theirs, and they are /very likely/ using at least one of his Zidware titles, which opens up the very real possibility of a legal challenge. A settlement with Zidware customers seems like a wise investment if you wanted to use a Zidware title or their IP and hire the company's founder. This is the kind of legal strategy I would expect from a CEO who is a lawyer.

And it doesn't feel like bitching to point this giveaway out as an example of the kind of overspending or lack of experience in marketing that contributed to Heighway and DP's financial problems. As mentioned by TWIP, /nobody else/ in the industry gives away pinball machines to TWIP. I enjoy reading TWIP and appreciate the effort that goes into it, but it seems unlikely that the actual profit generated through a giveaway of this magnitude would ever come even remotely close to paying off.

I do really want DP to succeed, and I want to see more innovation and experimentation in the pinball industry. As a (very small time) pinball operator and lover of pinball there are some things that really excite me about DR. They have unquestionably gathered a team of seasoned pinball professionals. They have more money than any of the other new pinball companies that I'm aware of. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they have interesting innovations; it is wise to keep that a secret until they are ready to take money.

I'm very, very excited about the possibility that DR can deliver and deliver big. LCD monitors and LED lightshows were a great innovation but it's time for more.

But as a professional in a related industry, there are things about DP that give me great pause: hubris/hype/retconning and the obviously unrealistic deadlines that have now publicly bit them hard in the ass, okay chalk that up to inexperience. Their CEO has no experience in pinball or entertainment (or marketing?) is having to come up to speed on a /lot/ of things in a very short period of time.

My biggest concern is that they are taking on too much risk for their first product(s). New playfield materials, new technical innovations to gameplay, new team, new manufacturing, multiple simultaneous product launches. I don't know about their underlying tech stack, but if they're not using something established like P-ROC that's a even bigger concern. Any one of these things could add years to development.

Even Tesla didn't take on this much risk for their first, second or even third major product.

Next to that is a massive fixed payroll (instead of contracting a lot of it out) and what seems to be a wildly optimistic estimation of the total global market size for pinball.

Is it possible? Yes. American Pinball has shown that a very good pinball machine can be made in a short period of time. JJP has shown that machines substantially better than Sterns can be made, and that people will pay more for them. I find both of these new companies refreshingly short of hype and all about delivery, and I wish I'd see more of that from DR.

#2279 5 years ago

So, when is Deeproot going to reveal their first Pin? Doesn’t sound like anything is right around the corner. Summer?

#2280 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Well to me that’s a good thing, or else I wouldn’t be offered shit.

Not if he is leading them down the same path he went down. 5 games released at the same time, we will come set it up etc etc. Such hyperbole! I wish you guys luck though, you deserve your games.

#2281 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

So, when is Deeproot going to reveal their first Pin? Doesn’t sound like anything is right around the corner. Summer?

"Hopefully in 2019"

#2282 5 years ago

Speaking of Deep Roots in my backyard (these guys trample lawns when not using hoverboards).....I'm first hearing about all of this now, is a BTTF remake updated version from Deeproot really a possibility ?! I've always loved the theme, but to me the Data East version is lack luster. I recently just got two Boxer Puppies just turned 1! their names are Doc Emmett Brown & Marty McFly ! (Doc's the white one, Marty McFly is the black & white one)
IMG_1456 (resized).JPGIMG_1456 (resized).JPG

#2284 5 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

Speaking of Deep Roots in my backyard (these guys trample lawns when not using hoverboards).....I'm first hearing about all of this now, is a BTTF remake updated version from Deeproot really a possibility ?! I've always loved the theme, but to me the Data East version is lack luster. I recently just got two Boxer Puppies just turned 1! their names are Doc Emmett Brown & Marty McFly ! (Doc's the white one, Marty McFly is the black & white one)
[quoted image]

Dont they have to have your last name?

#2285 5 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

[quoted image]

Yes!!!

It’s a possibility!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2286 5 years ago

by this point why does deeproot not have a pinball related website, a blog, or something. given that they were supposed to reveal and now they are not a website with some info would be helpful.

#2287 5 years ago

I just watched the Fyre documentary on netflix and couldn't help but think of deeproot. That everyone thought these guys don't know what they're doing, or are geniuses. well.... it didn't go well. lol.

#2288 5 years ago

Kaneda did a great interview with Quinn from deep-root. Quinn does the story telling over there. it sounds like they have some really cool stuff brewing up. I'm really looking forward to launch

#2289 5 years ago

I think Billy McFarland has a truly delusional psychiatric disorder. Narcissistic along with delusions of grandeur. Anybody who is crazy enough to get involved with him will get screwed...I can’t believe there are people out there that gave him that much money and credit. His close circle put private funds and credit into the pot...what were they thinking! A very interesting documentary.

#2290 5 years ago

Really surprised that we haven't seen any kind of web presence .... facebook, website with any information, etc.

#2291 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Really surprised that we haven't seen any kind of web presence .... facebook, website with any information, etc.

They have two company websites. Granted, they're a bit thin, but they do have a presence.

#2292 5 years ago

It's not like they're spending big money sponsoring all kinds of pinball shows. It would be crazy to be spending all that money with no product to sell, or not even a website to funnel prospects to. That would be like lighting money on fire. Ooops.

#2293 5 years ago

Like when u go to the movies and see movie posters of other movies that haven't been released or are possibly unfinished... Are they lighting money on fire? Or creating hype?

#2294 5 years ago

Not sure I’d compare pinball with hundred million dollar Hollywood movies. Plenty of money lit on fire there though.

#2295 5 years ago

Which is why it's a lot cheaper to sponser a pinball show compared to the cost of movie marketing.

#2296 5 years ago
Quoted from HeavyMetalBalls:

Which is why it's a lot cheaper to sponser a pinball show compared to the cost of movie marketing.

At least with movies, they have something to print a poster for. Deeproot, from 5 games in 5 days, too crickets.

But deeproot hasn't taken anybody's money yet, so no harm, no foul.

#2297 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

But deeproot hasn't taken anybody's money yet, so no harm, no foul.

Nope and I'm just sittin' here waiting for my 2 games...

#2298 5 years ago

So does Deeproot have the BTTF license? And maybe a brighter question if so, how did JJP and or Stern already not have that locked down!?

#2299 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

So does Deeproot have the BTTF license? And maybe a brighter question if so, how did JJP and or Stern already not have that locked down!?

Robert, Jack & Gary can answer that.

#2300 5 years ago

We already answered it.

—Robert dT

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/46?hl=ds_nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.