Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 438 of 672.
#21851 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

remember the movie "brewsters millions" with john candy and richard pryor? he has 30 days to spend 30 million dollars to get his 300 million dollar inheritance. if it was remade today "now you have to spend it legitimately. you cant DONATE it away, and dont even think about starting a pinball company"

Easy. Let JPop design the perfect cup of coffee. My only concern would be he'd somehow bankrupt me of the 300m in those 30 days.

#21852 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

This thread is great for anyone who wants to start a pinball company. It offers the exact roadmap to failure, which is handy if you want to avoid it. It pinpoints exactly what NOT to do. This thread is worth millions to future pinball companies.

True, although Heighway provided a very similar lesson -- that was not heeded!

#21853 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Imagine if that $30m or whatever was split up and invested …

pffft your $30M reference is so yesterday, $44M is the number to use now when discussing how much money has been blown. The better estimate is based on $41.5M in 575 funds, $2.23M in PPP loans and $0.27M (est) in deposits.

A better use of the money would have been ... send $5k each to 2,000 active Pinsiders = $10M, $3M each to favorite charities = $9M, $500k bonus to each four Deeproot designers = $2M, bonus to self = $2M, return deposits = $270k, misc expenses = $730k and balance to investors = $20M, admitting defeat. Wouldn’t the investors prefer receiving 45 cents on the dollar at the beginning of this adventure and being able to move on?

Let’s face it, anything you can think of is a better outcome than what’s unfolding now. The curtain has been pulled back and ..... It’s like Geraldo Rivera hosting a primetime show exploring Al Capone’s vault and expectations were off the chain. Once the door lock was blown, the safe was opened and nothing was discovered. I repeat, they found nothing.

#21854 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The problem with this is its not “I told you so, I’m smart,” it’s “I told you so, but literally any idiot could have seen what’s coming. A 9-year old German Shepard probably could have figured out sending deep root money was a bad idea. A cabbage realized this.”
It’s less of a brag and more of a sense of shock and disbelief.

bUt ItS a GaMbLe!!!1!!

I mean you can call betting on my wheelchair bound grandmother to win the NBA slam dunk contest a gamble too...but at what point are the odds so far in favor of not paying off that it becomes not a gamble anymore?

#21855 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Its bad for anyone else who wants to start a pinball company some day. You telling me that large scale scammers don't hurt the pinball community as a whole?

this THREAD isn’t bad for anyone. And neither is the other one, despite all the (laughable) accusations of vitriol and hate. Because YES, scammers* are bad for the hobby. But after 10 years ya just gotta laugh.

*like derp rootz and Jshitpop

#21856 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

True, although Heighway provided a very similar lesson -- that was not heeded!

Heighway actually had a factory & got some stuff built. I think the amount of money Andrew ran out of is tiny compared to what RM has wasted….but if you’re underwater by any amount, you can’t pay people…and if you can’t pay people, you’re done. The second RM hired tons of designers & a huge animation team, it was over.

#21857 2 years ago

Ok, I was on vacation and came back to 5 pages of unread posts... I read 2 posts from from right after I last visited, and the last two posts from just now... not a damn thing has changed and yet I still saved 15% or more on my car insurance...

#21858 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Heighway actually had a factory & got some stuff built. I think the amount of money Andrew ran out of is tiny compared to what RM has wasted….but if you’re underwater by any amount, you can’t pay people…and if you can’t pay people, you’re done. The second RM hired tons of designers & a huge animation team, it was over.

I’ve actually played the two games Heighway made. Fancy that.

#21859 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The best thing anyone could do with JPop's work is take it out back and burn it and make sure his stink goes away from pinball forever.

This deserves many more up votes.

#21860 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

The best thing anyone could do with JPop's work is take it out back and burn it and make sure his stink goes away from pinball forever.

#21861 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I was more thinking about NIH syndrome and the cost of innovating stuff out of the gate.

#21862 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The irony would be it getting yoinked via "civil forfeiture" and then sold to some old lady at an auction for 500 bucks for her grandkids.

That would be a tragedy. Imagine how many actually fun toys she could buy for $500.

#21863 2 years ago

Wow - what’s going on in here??

Mmm k…..

70C8B634-0EEF-48BD-85CF-48A90BD83BE7.gif70C8B634-0EEF-48BD-85CF-48A90BD83BE7.gif
#21864 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Wow - what’s going on in here??
Mmm k…..[quoted image]

Classic episode!

“Is your name Bart?”

#21865 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

That would be a tragedy. Imagine how many actually fun toys she could buy for $500.

Fair point, I concede.

#21866 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

The best thing anyone could do with JPop's work is take it out back and burn it

...."only way to be sure."

aliens.gifaliens.gif
#21867 2 years ago

Edit:

Removed image. I don't think it's real.

(It was an image showing an eviction notice on DR's door)

#21868 2 years ago

lol, yeah totally looks legit.

#21869 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Edit:
Removed image. I don't think it's real.
(It was an image showing an eviction notice on DR's door)

I already fell for that. Posted and removed it a couple of days ago.

#21870 2 years ago

I hope we can at least get a coffee table book by Blueberryjohnson and Ben heck so we can keep track of all the work you both have done in this thread. All the research, quotes, pictures of bad ideas..I would buy that book. Gary stern Would also love a copy.

#21871 2 years ago
Quoted from Mogg:

I hope we can at least get a coffee table book by Blueberryjohnson and Ben heck so we can keep track of all the work you both have done in this thread. All the research, quotes, pictures of bad ideas..I would buy that book. Gary stern Would also love a copy.

I’d listen on an audio book. Maybe some podcaster can read it aloud.

#21872 2 years ago

I'm thinking a limited run series or stage play adaptation. The real Blueberry Johnson was an acclaimed producer, after all.

#21873 2 years ago

Can we get a forward by the paper flock guy? Printing by Pinball Adventures of course

#21874 2 years ago

Interesting

DB2EC91C-C4F5-4ADF-83BB-6ADAEE85F225 (resized).jpegDB2EC91C-C4F5-4ADF-83BB-6ADAEE85F225 (resized).jpeg

#21875 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Interesting
[quoted image]

This tracks with what I've heard and that post I edited the other day

#21876 2 years ago

What do the workers care as long as their payroll is still there.

#21877 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Uh...

#21878 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

This tracks with what I've heard and that post I edited the other day

Matches exactly your Linkedin (??) job post from the other day.

Although your post seemed rather optimistic saying it was "temporary". Probably just covering himself from the legal wrath of RM.

#21879 2 years ago

Bruh, look up what furlough means

They don’t go to work, don’t get paid, can’t get unemployment, and aren’t allowed to work somewhere else

It’s just a step above layoff, but at least when you’re laid off you can get unemployment checks

#21880 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Matches exactly your Linkedin (??) job post from the other day.
Although your post seemed rather optimistic saying it was "temporary". Probably just covering himself from the legal wrath of RM.

And someone who said they knew wrote me confirming place had shut down sometime back. But I only post what I find online, not just what people say (though I would if the info were firsthand)

And I think that thing I posted wasn't about cya (if it were, person should never have written it). Generally furloughs are thought of as being temporary (though don't always end up being).

#21881 2 years ago

ok thought they were still being paid. weird that a bunch are not complaining. or are they.

#21882 2 years ago

ok thought they were still being paid. weird that a bunch are not complaining. or are they.

If you’ve been keeping up with the thread unpaid salaries is not a new development.

#21883 2 years ago

Looking at Chris’s page he says they couldn’t get the rights to Chunk from The Goonies

A) that’s so oddly specific I am inclined to believe it
B) I never actually believed they locked down The Goonies license
C) RIP to the dreams some had of a real manufacturer picking up that license

#21884 2 years ago

Derp Poop has shown that it’s a very “Sign the NDA & keep quiet or RM will sue your ass” culture. Why do you think we haven’t heard a peep from Nordman or Thiel? They’ve been long gone & haven’t said jack.

#21885 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Derp Poop has shown that it’s a very “Sign the NDA & keep quiet or RM will sue your ass” culture. Why do you think we haven’t heard a peep from Nordman or Thiel? They’ve been long gone & haven’t said jack.

Well Nordman mentioned the lack of support staff for him to get his work done

#21886 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Looking at Chris’s page he says they couldn’t get the rights to Chunk from The Goonies
A) that’s so oddly specific I am inclined to believe it
B) I never actually believed they locked down The Goonies license
C) RIP to the dreams some had of a real manufacturer picking up that license

Why would not getting signoff on one character for one of your five hundred titles sink your entire company or prevent you from putting out Raza, food truck, or the other 496 titles? It wouldn't. But maybe it's something you say to explain why the doors have to shut (temporarily, of course)

#21887 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

They don’t go to work, don’t get paid, can’t get unemployment, and aren’t allowed to work somewhere else
It’s just a step above layoff, but at least when you’re laid off you can get unemployment checks

You can get unemployment if furloughed for 2 weeks in Missouri. No clue about Texas.

#21888 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

In Texas it's not very relevant what you call it. If they aren't getting paid through no fault of their own they usually can get unemployment (which could be a very tiny portion of their former pay.) https://www.twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/eligibility-benefit-amounts

You might be thinking of some union specific requirements? Almost no union membership down here.

#21889 2 years ago

Why would not getting signoff on one character for one of your five hundred titles sink your entire company or prevent you from putting out Raza, food truck, or the other 496 titles? It wouldn't. But maybe it's something you say to explain why the doors have to shut (temporarily, of course)

Yeah, the Goonies thing is irrelevant - just a F up for a theoretical down the road.

#21890 2 years ago

I hope they can get some money coming in!

Crappy that tax payers are footing the bill fot Robert’s poor management though (again). The only thing Robert excels at is getting others to pay for his mistakes.

#21891 2 years ago

I don’t think that’s supposed to be a cause of their failure, more just an (absolutely hilarious) symptom of their general ineptitude.

Did I mention it’s hilarious?

#21892 2 years ago

So all employees furloughed, Deeproot companies remove their LinkedIn and Facebook pages, Robert removes his personal Facebook and LinkedIn profiles, and their phone changes to a robotic answering service. Queue up the fat lady?

#21893 2 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

So all employees furloughed, Deeproot companies remove their LinkedIn and Facebook pages, Robert removes his personal Facebook and LinkedIn profiles, and their phone changes to a robotic answering service. Queue up the fat lady?

Zitt
85AE7055-F1B8-4E4E-94E0-B0B9D24AF460 (resized).jpeg85AE7055-F1B8-4E4E-94E0-B0B9D24AF460 (resized).jpeg

#21894 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t think that’s supposed to be a cause of their failure, more just an (absolutely hilarious) symptom of their general ineptitude.
Did I mention it’s hilarious?

Ah. There I go not reading carefully enough and end up putting my big foot in my mouth. I've undoubtedly made the most embarrassing Deeproot-related blunder of all time!

#21895 2 years ago
a8dty (resized).jpga8dty (resized).jpg
#21896 2 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

[quoted image]

that's a really cute cat

#21897 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Interesting
[quoted image]

Rascal_H looks like Robert isn't the only one scrubbing stuff from FB?

#21898 2 years ago

Rascal_H looks like Robert isn't the only one scrubbing stuff from FB?

Double interesting!

#21899 2 years ago
AD3496D5-08A5-4815-AEE0-3DCF5D6E1DD1.jpegAD3496D5-08A5-4815-AEE0-3DCF5D6E1DD1.jpeg
#21900 2 years ago

Ha. Did someone actually set that up? Would certainly be an unsurprising consequence of giving up your own online presence!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 438 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/438 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.