Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 413 of 672.
#20601 2 years ago
Quoted from Mogg:

Did Dennis Nordman really say that?
I’m paraphrasing, ‘how amazing it is at Deeproot compared to the Bally Williams days’

Just a guess, but no.

#20602 2 years ago
Quoted from Mogg:

I’m paraphrasing, ‘how amazing it is at Deeproot compared to the Bally Williams days’

Pretty sure he said "Williams Bally."

#20603 2 years ago

Just finished listening.

What a freaking blowhard!!

Kaneda deserves credit for putting this together. Classic.

#20604 2 years ago
Quoted from Mogg:

pretty sure not.

#20605 2 years ago

Here’s your 4:30 drive by report.

No cars in the lot. It’s late I know. Bankers hours.

I did get a peak inside at different doors. Nothing has really changed since last production reveal that I can see.

Break room/cafeteria had a bunch of pins set up. TNA right by the door.

Prototypes and part bins in the back set
up area. Had a Hobbit sitting there too.

Nobody to greet me at the “visitors entrance”.

One section completely blacked out.

Massive waste of space now. With production?

There you go

#20606 2 years ago

He got in and out without being recognised.

zzzzduck-soup6 (resized).jpgzzzzduck-soup6 (resized).jpg
#20607 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

A concept reference for my proposed DIY Robert audio update:

Portrait of an ass grabber. Classy!

#20609 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"95f830f1a47c85168b14a1f87f65c67535138b82-1627426091-1800"};
//]]>

I did get a peak inside at different doors. Nothing has really changed since last production reveal that I can see.
There you go

Did you actually make it inside?

#20610 2 years ago

Do not know why no one believes Deep Root will not contract out the manufacturing, & parts out sourcing. It is the only logical thing to do, unless you are stupid enough to walk away after this time.
They have shown they have a brain team for pinball, & not a production team to get pinball machines produced in numbers in their own facilities. Many will work with them for parts, & money. Just wait & see if anything rolls out to customers.
Robert was the worst spokesperson to have start what was believed to be a major player in the industry. Also lacked direct management to get things done in this industry. Should of had a production team along with the design team.
I know of others looking to make new pinball machines. Guess what they look at all the start ups to see how few have won & many have lost. Everyone knows who these companies are. Also if you are old enough remember the huge failures of major players in the industry.
It was interesting to see a photo of Spooky production line with base cabinets. Just part of what must be there for production. Quad or Octo manufacturing by Deep Root must of been some wacky concept not seen by logical people in the industry making real games.

#20611 2 years ago

So ice doesn't need a tour because he already knows what's going on inside, while at the same time he drives to the Dr office to fog up the windows trying to rorschach the shadows. Makes total sense.

#20612 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Do not know why no one believes Deep Root will not contract out the manufacturing, & parts out sourcing. I

I hope you're kidding. If not, where have you been for the last 8 years? Did you listen to the dumpster full of garbage RM dumped on podcasts years ago?

Same show, different channel.

It is the only logical thing to do, unless you are stupid enough to walk away after this time.

Logic?

#20613 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"939972046192e5e354ecc4d080da8168203df39c-1627430063-1800"};
//]]>

There you go

That is cool. Maybe there is something going on there. It may be a big waste of money with no expectation of profit any time soon but if they have money to burn then I guess they can spend it however they choose to.

#20614 2 years ago

It is the only logical thing to do, unless you are stupid enough to walk away after this time.

If it’s the only logical thing to do, count on RM *NOT* to do it. He’s been illogical from the get-go and extremely arrogant. He reminds me a lot of Andrew Heighway, except AH actually made 1.5 pinballs before he crashed and burned.

#20615 2 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

So ice doesn't need a tour because he already knows what's going on inside, while at the same time he drives to the Dr office to fog up the windows trying to rorschach the shadows. Makes total sense.

You haven’t been around long enough I see to know when I’m yanking your chain.

It appears they are in a total holding pattern for now. Rent and main employees are getting paid while not much is getting done.

They also aren’t packing up the joint either.

Front 1/3 is mostly office

Middle 1/3 is that cafeteria game room/hidden area

Back 1/3 is the prototype production area

Maybe 3 or 4 row of high shelves with loads of dusty parts etc

If they are going contract manufacturing they aren’t making a move it looks like to send off the parts they have.

Again, looks like they ain’t going anywhere for quite a while! Maybe tiddly winks is the game of choice?

#20616 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You haven’t been around long enough I see to know when I’m yanking your chain.
It appears they are in a total holding pattern for now. Rent and main employees are getting paid while not much is getting done.
They also aren’t packing up the joint either.
Front 1/3 is mostly office
Middle 1/3 is that cafeteria game room/hidden area
Back 1/3 is the prototype production area
Maybe 3 or 4 row of high shelves with loads of dusty parts etc
If they are going contract manufacturing they aren’t making a move it looks like to send off the parts they have.
Again, looks like they ain’t going anywhere for quite a while! Maybe tiddly winks is the game of choice?

Don't yank my chain. Pacer my case filings!

#20617 2 years ago

Ice is a good local source for info. Just because Deep Root looks totally ignorant & stupid over the years. Maybe someone has clued into major rethought is needed to actually move forward. People may think I am beating a dead horse, maybe there is new horse in the race that is still breathing. Still off the beer!

#20618 2 years ago

I got a bad taste in my mouth of RM when I saw him at the other end of JPop's leash when he perp walked him to the deeproot seminar to announce the beginning of the inevitable.

#20619 2 years ago

Kaneda is the super entertaining and holds companies accountable. Love his show. I’ve only been listening for the last 150 shows…seems like he made some mistakes early on in this community…but he’s hit his stride now.

DeepRoot.
This is over. I’d wager You won’t be hearing from RM again. When narcissistic man-child’s are finally forced to confront the truth of their failures, they’d rather game-over than hit continue. If you catch my drift.

#20620 2 years ago

Do not know why no one believes Deep Root will not contract out the manufacturing, & parts out sourcing. It is the only logical thing to do, unless you are stupid enough to walk away after this time.
They have shown they have a brain team for pinball, & not a production team to get pinball machines produced in numbers in their own facilities. Many will work with them for parts, & money. Just wait & see if anything rolls out to customers.
Robert was the worst spokesperson to have start what was believed to be a major player in the industry. Also lacked direct management to get things done in this industry. Should of had a production team along with the design team.
I know of others looking to make new pinball machines. Guess what they look at all the start ups to see how few have won & many have lost. Everyone knows who these companies are. Also if you are old enough remember the huge failures of major players in the industry.
It was interesting to see a photo of Spooky production line with base cabinets. Just part of what must be there for production. Quad or Octo manufacturing by Deep Root must of been some wacky concept not seen by logical people in the industry making real games.

We get it, you keep bringing up, and most of these same points have been brought up for years. Nobody is going to go through all the trouble for 130 games, with a company that doesnt pay its employees and possibly owes vendors $$$

#20621 2 years ago

Ice is a good local source for info. Just because Deep Root looks totally ignorant & stupid over the years. Maybe someone has clued into major rethought is needed to actually move forward. People may think I am beating a dead horse, maybe there is new horse in the race that is still breathing. Still off the beer!

Kudos on sobriety

I feel like you keep hinting the Gottlieb family wants back in the game. That’d be great! (Maybe? Idk)

But they’re doomed if they get in bed with deeproot

Maybe they can buy The Goonies or The Who game, if they even exists and if they can even transfer the license. That’s all they have of some value…and even that can’t be worth more than a million bucks tops (assuming they’re close to done to being designed). Especially if they’re not getting all the project files and some of the staffers to make heads or tails of what they were doing or how to make it into production. Just better to start from a blank slate in most cases…

#20622 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Kaneda is the super entertaining and holds companies accountable. Love his show. I’ve only been listening for the last 150 shows…seems like he made some mistakes early on in this community…but he’s hit his stride now.
DeepRoot.
This is over. I’d wager You won’t be hearing from RM again. When narcissistic man-child’s are finally forced to confront the truth of their failures, they’d rather game-over than hit continue. If you catch my drift.

Game over is failure. Gotta disagree here. He’s been hitting “continue” for years since the “5 days of deeproot” when it could have/should have been shut down

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Pinball is still an underlying business (liability) of the 575 fund which is THE priority and that will be around for many years to come

Buckle in boys! Somebody is gonna be producing those games

#20623 2 years ago

I have zero qualms with this dragging out for years more. I’m shaking off rust on my Wacom tablet and finally getting used to GIMP over Photoshop.

#20624 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

DeepRoot.

Should we be expecting to hear a Kaneda fireside chat with our pal Scandell sometime down the road?

#20625 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

https://m.soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/deep-thoughts-by-deeproot-part-1
Oh…
Oh wow..
I didn’t know it was this bad.
I thought you guys were being negative nancy over here 24/7.
But to tell you the truth i am shocked.
I know it’s a montage but still.
Never heard RM speak before up until now since i rarely come here.
I check in for news sometimes since i am actually in on a deeproot machine.
But this is really bad.
Is that guy actually okay?
Cuz this sounds very fucking strange to me.
He better starts paying me money btw?
This pin is overdue
I have to listen again man…wow.
And what is that 5 days of deeproot stuff about??
[quoted image]

Welcome to the middle truth.

#20626 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Game over is failure. Gotta disagree here. He’s been hitting “continue” for years since the “5 days of deeproot” when it could have/should have been shut down
I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Pinball is still an underlying business (liability) of the 575 fund which is THE priority and that will be around for many years to come

Yeah I'm sure companies are lining up to build games for Robert and then get sued.

Maybe when it's over, and the real stories are shared, then Ice will understand.

#20627 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe when it's over, and the real stories are shared, then Ice will understand.

We’ll all be playing Fire and Brimstone before that ever happens.

#20628 2 years ago

remember in the predator thread how people said "dont bother with the lawsuit. cant squeeze blood from a turnip (aka kevin). you're just throwing good money with the bad. only person getting any money is the lawyer (who conveniently disappeared when the cases closed).

it feels like robert is doing the same thing, throwing good investment money at a bad business plan for the sake of pushing off failure as long as possible. at SOME point the money runs out, i dont care who you are.

#20629 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

remember in the predator thread how people said "dont bother with the lawsuit. cant squeeze blood from a turnip (aka kevin). you're just throwing good money with the bad. only person getting any money is the lawyer (who conveniently disappeared when the cases closed).
it feels like robert is doing the same thing, throwing good investment money at a bad business plan for the sake of pushing off failure as long as possible. at SOME point the money runs out, i dont care who you are.

See also Duke Nukem Forever "We don't have to finish it anytime soon! We're self published and have all the money we need!".... Until they went belly up and sold the rights to Gearbox.

#20630 2 years ago

Is John Popadiuk the John Romero of pinball?

Overinflated opinion of himself and his skills, the engineers (well just Carmack) made his designs work, crashed in a blaze of glory when given lots of bucks to make a studio “where design is king” after repeated delays and bungled marketing campaigns that turned more people off than anything else

Well I guess in Romero’s favor Daikatana came out… now he mostly makes WAD packs for OG Doom to relive his glory days. Better hair too

#20631 2 years ago

What I played of Daikatana at the time was fun. Iirc the art direction was really good

Edit: I don't care if this is a derail, aint shit happening with dr, might as well discuss Daikatana

Edit 2: nevermind, watched some videos. Oof

#20632 2 years ago

remember when people were creeping around the parking lot and taking pictures of the studio of game developer hello games when they were making no mans sky

remember how creepy that was

remember

#20633 2 years ago

Bankruptcy TBD

#20634 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

remember when people were creeping around the parking lot and taking pictures of the studio of game developer hello games when they were making no mans sky
remember how creepy that was
remember

Not as creepy as all the death threats they got when the released game was meh

They did a lot of work to turn it around though. Decent game now

#20635 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Not as creepy as all the death threats they got when the released game was meh
They did a lot of work to turn it around though. Decent game now

In all seriousness yeah, they turned it around. It's fun. I have no idea how they make money.

#20636 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

In all seriousness yeah, they turned it around. It's fun. I have no idea how they make money.

They have a staff of like 16 and sold millions of copies at full retail

#20637 2 years ago

Ion Storm at least shipped something.

Sony were the ones pumping up No Man's Sky. Then all the rage was unleashed on Hello Games when, shockingly, a 16 man studio wasn't able to create an entire universe. Was a single A game that was pushed as AAA.

Like Dutch Pinball Hello Games hunkered down and made things right. Probably because they finally had the money (after launch) to do so!

#20638 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Ion Storm at least shipped something.
Sony were the ones pumping up No Man's Sky. Then all the rage was unleashed on Hello Games when, shockingly, a 16 man studio wasn't able to create an entire universe.

Little bit of both. The lead dev certainly didn’t do much to tamper down expectations and outright lied about some stuff he knew wouldn’t be in the game.

#20639 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Little bit of both. The lead dev certainly didn’t do much to tamper down expectations and outright lied about some stuff he knew wouldn’t be in the game.

Also true. Worked out in the end. And they probably spent less on it than deep Poop's Noodle Co!

#20640 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Also true. Worked out in the end. And they probably spent less on it than deep Poop's Noodle Co!

If only pinball was as simple as patch it later.

Although I guess that’s Sterns philosophy at times when they need something on the line ASAP

#20641 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeah I'm sure companies are lining up to build games for Robert and then get sued.

I’m pretty sure David Fix at AP offered it up

Here’s the thing, they haven’t actually sued anybody now have they, just gotten sued, despite the many threats you don’t just go around filing frivolous lawsuits with no basis so why would ANYONE be worried about that nonsense? They shouldn’t be

I don’t need stories to understand what’s going on

#20642 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

If only pinball was as simple as patch it later.
Although I guess that’s Sterns philosophy at times when they need something on the line ASAP

Sterns approach makes 100% logical sense. When a pin is introduced, we see almost no code at all, just preview videos. And yet people make most of their purchasing decision on that. Hardware has such a long lead time that you have to finalize and build well before software is done. Until we (pinball buyers) hold people accountable for finished code in a shipping game we really can’t expect different behavior. It was in fact a bit bassakwards that DR put so much into asset development first with not much in the way of finished hardware to lead the charge. I say bassakwards, but it makes some sense in that 1) the team was more a concept than a finished product team 2) the speculation that DR never intended to build anything but instead license the framework and assets to someone else to execute on. Unfortunately that didn’t quite work out the way they had hoped.

#20643 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m pretty sure David Fix at AP offered it up
Here’s the thing, they haven’t actually sued anybody now have they, just gotten sued, despite the many threats you don’t just go around filing frivolous lawsuits with no basis so why would ANYONE be worried about that nonsense? They shouldn’t be
I don’t need stories to understand what’s going on

Ice, If you trust anything that comes out of dave fix's mouth, you're credibility is zilch.

#20644 2 years ago

https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/deep-thoughts-by-deeproot-part-2

the pinside comment is classic - I'm not going to listen to my potential customers. What an idiot.

#20645 2 years ago

deeproot part 2 deepthoughts

Yeah - they are going to come in "crush the competition "

Nope - guess that didn't happen. Can't even get 1 game out the door. What a bunch of crap and grandiose garbage that's spewed.

It's laughable coming out his mouth, so much more than just reading it in print.

Just call the Coroner and write the Obituary for the Company. They are all but dead.

#20646 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Why would any other company touch these games, when they could be manufacturing games that actually sell and play well.

Most companies actually like making money, not just burning it and yelling at the wall how cool they are.

#20647 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

deeproot part 2 deepthoughts
Yeah - they are going to come in "crush the competition "
Nope - guess that didn't happen. Can't even get 1 game out the door. What a bunch of crap and grandiose garbage that's spewed.
It's laughable coming out his mouth, so much more than just reading it in print.
Just call the Coroner and write the Obituary for the Company. They are all but dead.

Maybe….we’ve seen two last minute deathsaves in our recent pinball past - both JJP and Heighway received eleventh hour angel money that saved their companies from certain doom.

However in both those cases, the companies had proven they could make at least one game and had an existing customer base. DR has not made any games and are not well liked (by anyone), so I’d put the chances of that happening at 1:1000.

#20648 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why would any other company touch these games, when they could be manufacturing games that actually sell and play well.
Most companies actually like making money, not just burning it and yelling at the wall how cool they are.

Agree

No legit pinball manufacturer would contract or whore with Deeproot for a measly 100 games. You don't want that stink on your company. Everybody is busy with their own stuff. Why would Root pay somebody to do it even if they could find somebody - maybe in China ? Nah...

It's just plain not happening. It's over. Done. Finished.

#20649 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hey Ice, question for you as I don't remember but I was thinking the 575 fund was structured as 5% initial bonus, 7% annual return and return of principal in 5 years? If so, some of that initial principle would have hit the five year mark. Now maybe there is an opportunity to re-up, but I believe, this is not as straight-forward as one might expect with this type of fund. Anyhow, I think this (the return of principle) is the ticking time bomb.

#20650 2 years ago

I really hope Kaneda puts out a part 3!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 413 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/413 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.