• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 396 of 669.
#19751 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

"Experience with micro controls e.g. Arm Cortex or ATmega328 processors"
Um, you mean MICROCONTROLLERS?
ARM is an acronym that should be all caps = "Advanced RISC Machine" (RISC = Reduced Instruction Set Computer)
ATmega328 so it's running a FREEKING ARDUINO?
Christ these guys are idiots.

That's even funnier than the line workers posting. Maybe they can get some people who just know how to combine google schematics like JJP did with WoZ and the lights. See how that turns out.

Hell JJP is still promoting the hell out of their "HOT BAR" of leds or whatever they call it. Like kids in middle school don't play with serial LEDs and diffusers....

#19752 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

hilton-esque comebacks. pretty weak.

I don't know what Spooky starts at. But doesn't really matter, can't compare it to a starting wage in a major metropolitan area like SA.

Regarding "schematics" I think they just used the wrong word because they don't know any better. (see also "micro controls")

#19753 2 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's even funnier than the line workers posting. Maybe they can get some people who just know how to combine google schematics like JJP did with WoZ and the lights. See how that turns out.

Yup. The problem wasn't serial RGB it was a designer who didn't RTFM.

#19754 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

As I said in the recent Kaneda podcast it's not just hiring + training it's RETAINING. If they don't have the next game ready to go then they lose (have to let go) staff and have to start that process all over again (this burned JJP a few years back)
Of course Robert could just keep them on payroll, lord knows he's floated the HACK FRAUD SCAMMER JPOP for years now.

Yeah I’m sure JJP learned a lot of expensive lessons about having parts ready to go and a new game/re-run waiting in the wings as soon as the line slows down.

Stuff Robert could have learned by just watching the rest of the industry he’s poured millions into.

Food Truck better be ready to dazzle. I know I can’t wait to battle the Roach Coach
279d861708493f9de6de987b040514ebe852c90e (resized).jpg279d861708493f9de6de987b040514ebe852c90e (resized).jpg

#19755 2 years ago

Maybe Robert took Pinside's advice and put all hands on deck to get Goonies ready.

I mean, if they actually make RAZA, it would give people confidence for Goonies, a game people ACTUALLY WANT.

But if DR is trying to actually make games, and they do 2 original themes in a row? They're toast.

#19756 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I mean, if they actually make RAZA, it would give people confidence for Goonies, a game people ACTUALLY WANT.

Can't think of a single Pinhead I know who would want a Goonies machine. Can't understand the thought that one would be anything but a dud as far as sales goes.

#19757 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe Robert took Pinside's advice and put all hands on deck to get Goonies ready.
But if DR is trying to actually make games, and they do 2 original themes in a row? They're toast.

Could they even succeed with Goonies at this point? There are two outcomes.

1. No one trusts them, so no one orders.

2. Nostalgia leads to blind buys & decent sales numbers…but they can’t produce because they don’t know how to run a manufacturing business, leading to a Lebowski situation where 7 years later original buyers don’t have games.

#19758 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Regarding "schematics" I think they just used the wrong word because they don't know any better. (see also "micro controls")

(must be able to distinguish wire colors and put them in the correct order on our 600 connectors)

#19759 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Can't think of a single Pinhead I know who would want a Goonies machine. Can't understand the thought that one would be anything but a dud as far as sales goes.

It would sell more than Ultraman. It has been brought up a number of times as a dream theme on the very same threads you are posting in. Just because you don't think it would be a hit, doesn't mean it isn't.

I've played someones virtual version of the theme and it was pretty entertaining. As always it really just comes down to the ideas and what can be used.

Now...that's if any other vendor did it. I have no idea from DR.

#19760 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

2. Nostalgia leads to blind buys & decent sales numbers…but they can’t produce because they don’t know how to run a manufacturing business, leading to a Lebowski situation where 7 years later original buyers don’t have games.

This one. Theme is crack cocaine. When I got into this hobby it was about pinball. Now it's about giant lunchboxes with your favorite characters.

#19761 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Lol. Maybe he's going to beat Elon to Mars.

#19762 2 years ago

Watch the license or the option to license it expire well before they're ready to make it. Then Stern will throw it on Steve Ritchie Design No 34 or John Borg Design No 27

#19763 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Watch the license or the option to license it expire well before they're ready to make it. Then Stern will throw it on Steve Ritchie Design No 27

If they know what’s good for them they will just pull a Spooky or a Stern and redo the art on RAZA to now say Goonies. JPOP should be good at that if there is enough purple in it. In fact maybe that should be their entire business model, 50 new versions of art for one layout.

#19764 2 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

If they know what’s good for them they will just pull a Spooky or a Stern and redo the art on RAZA to now say Goonies. JPOP should be good at that if there is enough purple in it. In fact maybe that should be their entire business model, 50 new versions of art for one layout.

Great, and then have two designs they can't manufacture.

#19765 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

lol you're laughably wrong about this

#19766 2 years ago

Of course there’s customers for a goonies
Machine, they found buyers for teenage mutant turtles, right?

Nostalgia is fun and cute but I gotta draw the line somewhere. Saw goonies for first time in 30 years during pandemic, and while it is quality filmmaking it’s DEFINITELY a kids movie. I’d be pretty embarrassed to have one in the game room.

#19767 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It would sell more than Ultraman.

Would it sell more than Scooby Doo?

Quoted from Haymaker:

lol you're laughably wrong about this

Well, I don't think it would even scratch the ST sales numbers. And I don't think Stern was pleased with their sales on those things.

#19768 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Would it sell more than Scooby Doo?

Well, I don't think it would even scratch the ST sales numbers. And I don't think Stern was pleased with their sales on those things.

It certainly wasn't because of the theme. Loved the theme, hated the execution.

#19769 2 years ago

Love how this thread is on fire again, even w/out any update that's supposed to have already happened.

#19770 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Love how this thread is on fire again, even w/out any update that's supposed to have already happened.

Watch it light up when then next update or final announcement is made.

#19771 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nostalgia is fun and cute but I gotta draw the line somewhere. Saw goonies for first time in 30 years during pandemic, and while it is quality filmmaking it’s DEFINITELY a kids movie. I’d be pretty embarrassed to have one in the game room.

I think it would be perfect theme for a startup. Good characters, villians, adventure, pirates, treasure, nostalgia. Plenty to work with. Maybe not the best theme but far from the worst. Original themes can be fun but no denying good themes sell way better.

#19772 2 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

We really like talking in circles

Hey remember that time we found out they were considering a paid subscription service for deeproot games? Investors love hearing "live service subscription"

rootAccess™ still coming Q1 of 2021?

#19773 2 years ago

I need to try to watch The Goonies sometime. I feel like it is before my time by just a few years. My sister-in-law is five years older and said she loved it as a kid (but hasn't seen it since). It seems like it's a theme for very specific and narrow age group. At least with TMNT it's still a popular franchise with kids and they still make videos/toys/clothes/etc

#19774 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Goonies has dick jokes. It's not a "kids" theme like Puppy Dog Pals or something. Even TMNT, which you love to mock, is essentially the same as any Marvel super hero pin. Mutant super heroes fight ninjas & interdimensional villains. There's a wide canyon between toddler properties like Barney and Dora the Explorer and "tween" properties like Goonies and Turtles.

#19775 2 years ago

Goonies isn't all that far off of Indiana Jones, and blows the doors off a theme like Wonka among the 30-40 something crowd. I'd have Goonies long before a dad rock pin, or Munsters.

#19776 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Hey remember that time we found out they were considering a paid subscription service for deeproot games? Investors love hearing "live service subscription"

Terms of use active Jan 1, 2021. Why not throw a subscription to in their empty store and start bringing in some supplemental dough re mi?

https://deeprootpinball.com/about/legal/terms-of-use

#19777 2 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

Do I not remember a Robert interview about him talking about how he could easily shoot out a new layout once a week? and that Barry oursler already had 3 designs laid out. I don't think creating playfield layouts is the hold up here.

#19778 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I need to try to watch The Goonies sometime. I feel like it is before my time by just a few years. My sister-in-law is five years older and said she loved it as a kid (but hasn't seen it since). It seems like it's a theme for very specific and narrow age group. At least with TMNT it's still a popular franchise with kids and they still make videos/toys/clothes/etc

The reason it has legs is that it's not just for kids. It's an all ages movie, there's stuff anyone can enjoy. There are definitely jokes I didn't get as a kid, like when they break the penis off a statue:
"That's my mom's favorite part!"
"You wouldn't be here if it wasn't!"

It's got a great cast like Josh Brolin before he was Thanos, Sean Astin before LOTR, Joey Pants before Matrix, and Corey Feldman before he sucked! Oh, and it's got Throw Momma From The Train lady!

#19779 2 years ago

I feel like the movies made for me as a kid in the 90s sucked compared to a lot of the 80s movies for kids.

Cable was better for me as a barely supervised kid though.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Do I not remember a Robert interview about him talking about how he could easily shoot out a new layout once a week? and that Barry oursler already had 3 designs laid out. I don't think creating playfield layouts is the hold up here.

Yeah they allegedly have dozens of layouts. Course the way Nordman made it sound there were no engineers to take it beyond a basic layout (at least in his experience).

#19780 2 years ago

I'd pick Dennis Nordman for Goonies, it would match his style perfectly. I see Goonies as a cross between Stern's POTC and Whitewater. Dennis is the ramp master!

#19781 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I feel like the movies made for me as a kid in the 90s sucked compared to a lot of the 80s movies for kids.

80's kids movies were generally made seriously as "films" and didn't talk down to kids. Once the 90's hit, it was more loud/bonkers/x-treeeme Nickelodeon/Disney Channel style movies that were supposedly tailored SPECIFICALLY for kids, but would annoy most people. I think one of the reasons Harry Potter movies were so well received is because they felt like 80's kids movies. Stakes & characters felt "real" (despite the magical fantasy story), and it didn't talk down to its audience - which then allowed adults to enjoy it, too.

#19782 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

1. No one trusts them, so no one orders.

This is the issue for me. Say it is not Goonies, it is Harry Potter or James Bond or Queen or any other coveted title. Even if it is my dream theme, I will not pre-order under any circumstance (even without a down payment). I have so little trust left that they will deliver and continue to deliver that I will have to play it first, check out the build quality, weigh out how many have been delivered (at least a hundred braver soles than me), what parts might be available should this be the only thing they produce, etc. Any chance on earth of this happening?

Ironically, here a is list of every other manufacturer I trust enough to buy with a down payment/sight unseen:

Stern
American
Jersey Jack
Spooky
CGC
Multimorphic
Haggis
Quetzal (yes Quetzal)
and probably even Dutch Pinball and Pinball Brothers now.

#19783 2 years ago

The natives are getting restless

#19784 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yeah I’m sure JJP learned a lot of expensive lessons about having parts ready to go and a new game/re-run waiting in the wings as soon as the line slows down.
Stuff Robert could have learned by just watching the rest of the industry he’s poured millions into.
Food Truck better be ready to dazzle. I know I can’t wait to battle the Roach Coach
[quoted image]

Not a bad rendition of a villainous cockroach! I like the goofy eyes, nice touch!

#19785 2 years ago

I’m getting closer to taking Ice’s bet.

I just don’t see this working out for anyone.

#19786 2 years ago

It's clear DR didn't spend much time last few years ramping up production, supply chains or any manufacturing aspects. It feels like they're only doing that now (if they even are)

So we then ask why? Did they have the same business model as Zidware? Where the intention was a buyout? What other company is going to invest?

#19787 2 years ago

Should ask these guys to do a two-year follow-up

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODc1ODQucnNz/episode/QnV6enNwcm91dC0xNjQ0MTg0?ep=14

Some of us could join as Dr expert analysts

#19788 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

This really should be brought up again. It sounded to me "considering" was more of a planned complete business model where all the real revenue was going to come from. This type of decision reeks of a IT startup where they have not and did not do any research in marketing and relied more on concepts to drive the business.

#19789 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's clear DR didn't spend much time last few years ramping up production, supply chains or any manufacturing aspects. It feels like they're only doing that now (if they even are)
So we then ask why? Did they have the same business model as Zidware? Where the intention was a buyout? What other company is going to invest?

Remember when Robert was talking about licensing out all sort of tech (to everyone but Gerry)?

You'd think they would be trying to sell their custom pinball controller to other manufacturers or the home brew community. All the boutique companies use the same handful of controllers (P3/Fast/Pinotaur) because they're expensive to design and build in smallish quantities. They've barely said a word about any of the tech another company may actually be interested in. The job postings make it sound like it's arduino based like they got some kid out of college to cobble something together, so no one probably would want it...

Heck there are a lot of products they talked about lots of general pinheads would be interested in. People joke about the PinPod™ but they could probably sell a few dozen of them to people who regularly ship games. There was also the one person setup system that they referenced but never showed (and was maybe a copy of this guy's idea https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-move-a-pinball-machine-alone/page/2#post-3844110). Someone could make and sell those things for a couple hundred bucks.

It's a business that gives no impression that they want to make money.

#19790 2 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

This really should be brought up again. It sounded to me "considering" was more of a planned complete business model where all the real revenue was going to come from. This type of decision reeks of a IT startup where they have not and did not do any research in marketing and relied more on concepts to drive the business.

Planned in that it was written on a cocktail napkin one night and passed off to a kid to put on the website. It's like their homebrew production page that makes no business sense, https://deeprootpinball.com/community/homebrew

deeproot truly is what a company ran by pinside would look like

#19791 2 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Almost 3 and a half years ago....

Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm convinced more and more this guy is trying to build a company to be bought... more so than build a lasting pinball company.

#19792 2 years ago

Maybe they could bring deeproot to shark tank. Be a fun discussion.

#19793 2 years ago

Can someone bullet point RAZA history for me, so I don't need to read the 395 pages?

This company legit? Has the machine been released?

#19794 2 years ago

No machines.

#19795 2 years ago
Quoted from BWT67:

Can someone bullet point RAZA history for me, so I don't need to read the 395 pages?

It's a game that's been in development for 9(?) years.

No and no. A few sample units have been made.

#19796 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Much appreciated.

#19797 2 years ago
Quoted from BWT67:

Wind... hot air, bloated and unbelievable claims, a disastrous marketing campaign, a embarrassing prototype reveal, a shamefully undersold order window, and now continuous radio silence and promised updates, which are light on any real info if and when they put one out. That about sums up where we are.

#19798 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Since 2011

#19799 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Wind... hot air, bloated and unbelievable claims, a disastrous marketing campaign, a embarrassing prototype reveal, a shamefully undersold order window, and now continuous radio silence and promised updates, which are light on any real info if and when they put one out. That about sums up where we are.

Haha, sounds like a political campaign at this point.

#19800 2 years ago
Quoted from BWT67:

Haha, sounds like a political campaign at this point.

4 more years! (till RAZA ships)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.99
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 396 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/396?hl=capn12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.