Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 672.
#1801 5 years ago

He did speak the longest though, I noticed that... it was a bit surreal for me as a pinball newb to be in that room watching all that. I left the seminar early. Nothing to see here (yet, anyway).

#1802 5 years ago

Okay, I am more optimistic after watching the presentation.
Any new pinball that can be (supposedly) purchased without YEARS of deposits stringing you along; for (supposedly) less than the current market’s offerings AND with the ever-expanding cast of talent that Deeproot seems to have in spades to tackle original themes no less, gives me a bit more hope than I had yesterday for said “modern” non-Stern Pinball.

Butch Patrick was already a no-brainer decision in going to TPF next year. Now that Deeproot made it a goal to have sOmEtHiNg to show, it’s going to make the trip that much sweeter when March rolls around.
Hopefully...

#1803 5 years ago

Not sure why people are getting hung up on how many pinballs they are going to release. 5 at one single release date would be a record, case closed.

The real question is ".... where is the demand?"

This guy gets it. Unless there is a MAJOR influx of new hobbiests, there simply will be way more supply than demand, and that is not good for the hobby.

I've never bought a new in box game, probably never will. It's just way too much money to take an immediate loss. Add a ton of new games and that loss only increases.

#1804 5 years ago

He kept talking about revolutionary ideas and if there's one thing pinball people don't like, it's any real variation from the standard format. Hell, even putting the flippers in an alternative configuration puts people off.

It'll be interesting for sure.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

He kept talking about revolutionary ideas and if there's one thing pinball people don't like, it's any real variation from the standard format. Hell, even putting the flippers in an alternative configuration puts people off.
It'll be interesting for sure.

I’m a little sick of the Italian bottoms.. bring back the Qbert layout!

#1806 5 years ago

I am surprised that no one put up this "philosophy" by JPop (around the 19:17 mark):

"Part of the problem is that you can't work on a game for four years and not finish it. You have to finish it in a reasonable amount of time--cut if off, move forward, take all those extra ideas and put them on the next game and the next game and kind of keep it going. Because people don't want to wait like five years for a game."

#1807 5 years ago

I watched the whole talk. Seems like a bunch of passionate pinball people making some solid machines. Likely with online updates and diagnosis telemetry stuff. Modular building blocks for mechs. And the pins are story based more like video games.

It’s cool that they are having a good time making them. It makes me hesitate on my plans to buy a MBr LE. But eh, nothing ships from them until next summer, so I’ll buy stuff now and sell if they make something I really want.

#1808 5 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

I am surprised that no one put up this "philosophy" by JPop (around the 19:17 mark):
"Part of the problem is that you can't work on a game for four years and not finish it. You have to finish it in a reasonable amount of time--cut if off, move forward, take all those extra ideas and put them on the next game and the next game and kind of keep it going. Because people don't want to wait like five years for a game."

It has been touched on.

More interesting was that he said the guy who did all the engineering on his games at BW died recently (and presumably couldn't be recruited), so he was doing all the design AND engineering work for his games at DeepRoot.

There was no sign that he even had the first clue about engineering, or even about basic assembly of pinball machines, during his Zidware spell.

So regardless of anything else, this can't be true. Presumably he's convinced himself that the engineers making stuff work aren't really doing anything of much import, and he's the 'engineer'.

#1809 5 years ago

I got a good look at Magic Girl at Pinball Madness, and whatever J-Pop turns out with this company, everyone will be in line to buy.

3D02657D-922C-4A60-A104-1F04F55ADF3A (resized).jpeg3D02657D-922C-4A60-A104-1F04F55ADF3A (resized).jpegC3308468-7A6D-43F2-AFFD-74A9CF0AC369 (resized).jpegC3308468-7A6D-43F2-AFFD-74A9CF0AC369 (resized).jpeg
#1810 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

I got a good look at Magic Girl at Pinball Madness, and whatever J-Pop turns out with this company, everyone will be in line to buy.

So you didn't actually get a good look at it then.

#1811 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah we’ve all seen pictures of magic girl.

It’s a purple bombed box of lights that cost $20,000 and doesn’t work.

Where does the line form?

#1812 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That’s just about all that anyone can get is a “good look”. Because it sure as hell doesn’t do anything else..

#1813 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

That’s just about all that anyone can get is a “good look”. Because it sure as hell doesn’t do anything else..

Sounds like a bunch of butthurt haters in here. The fact there is a thread dedicated to J-pop is all you need to know. When I meet him I’m gonna hi five him twice. Once for all the great machines he designed and the second for pimpin all your money .

I saw nobody in line for Deadpool, Midevil Madness not Monster Bash, but all his Pins were non stop people waiting to play

So keep pretending he’s not the MAC. He got all your money and hasn’t skipped a beat and will have another great Pin out next year.

#1815 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Sounds like a bunch of butthurt haters in here. The fact there is a thread dedicated to J-pop is all you need to know. When I meet him I’m gonna hi five him twice. Once for all the great machines he designed and the second for pimpin all your money .
I saw nobody in line for Deadpool, Midevil Madness not Monster Bash, but all his Pins were non stop people waiting to play
So keep pretending he’s not the MAC. He got all your money and hasn’t skipped a beat and will have another great Pin out next year.

Pinside less than 1 year.. What position do you hold at deeproot?

#1816 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You saw no one in line for MB?

I did... DP too. And there were a LOT of Deadpool pins there (more than any other title I'd say).

Maybe I just happened to be there when there were lines. Not sure.

#1817 5 years ago

Alrighty, someone is clearly looking for attention, time to stop handing it out. Enjoy lighting candles at your jpop shrine kid.

#1818 5 years ago

If you believe what was said in that seminar all
Of us should freeze our spending and wait for March.

So to some degree if you are still buying you are a skeptic and sense a bit of BS here.

Hmmm. I plunked down for a MBr LE. But if I believe what they say I should just stop all buying and wait.

#1819 5 years ago

See next post (formatting problems in this one).

#1820 5 years ago

Considering the source, his history with Zidware and position as a right holder... I think this emoji could be a masterful understatement.

#1821 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Alrighty, someone is clearly looking for attention, time to stop handing it out. Enjoy lighting candles at your jpop shrine kid.

Yes you are in every new game tread.

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Whhhaatttt?? ... btw, it's spelled Medieval Madness.

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Pinside less than 1 year.. What position do you hold at deeproot?

Salad tosser.

#1825 5 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Bye bye Kaneda. LOL

That MG box of shit you bought isn't going to turn into anything but....

On second thought, the spelling leads me to believe its some entirely different idiot, Kman isn't a total dummy.

#1826 5 years ago

I will reserve judgement till I see the pins, in boxs, in front of me. Jpop is an idiot and dont see his future at Deeproot lasting more than a couple years.

#1827 5 years ago

Should be interesting and looking forward to TX show this year. While it would take huge pinballs and deep pockets I kind of understand the full court press releasing 4 or more pins at one time. While most releases from other OEM's have a "___"% of market interest to all, releasing say 5 drastically raises the probability of swallowing the lions share of interest across the board as they only need a buyer to like at least 1 title. With the statements about modular construction, (Assuming here) the recent new product category from Mirco with laminated cabinet art, (Assuming again) and the comment about hammer proof play fields it sounds like a laminate print over wood similar to the recent Mafia release expedited production would be possible at a reduced cost. All assumed but interesting. Also a guess but I would bet after the artistic jiberesh and designs are squeezed out of Jpops head and onto paper I suspect he will be tossed aside like a used coil sleeve. As they are building this story and infrastructure with their own funds it is looking rather plausible now unlike the many pinball panzie schemers of the past. Should be interesting and no doubt a TX show not to miss.

#1828 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Should be interesting and looking forward to TX show this year. While it would take huge pinballs and deep pockets I kind of understand the full court press releasing 4 or more pins at one time. While most releases from other OEM's have a "___"% of market interest to all, releasing say 5 drastically raises the probability of swallowing the lions share of interest across the board as they only need a buyer to like at least 1 title. With the statements about modular construction, (Assuming here) the recent new product category from Mirco with laminated cabinet art, (Assuming again) and the comment about hammer proof play fields it sounds like a laminate print over wood similar to the recent Mafia release expedited production would be possible at a reduced cost. All assumed but interesting. Also a guess but I would bet after the artistic jiberesh and designs are squeezed out of Jpops head and onto paper I suspect he will be tossed aside like a used coil sleeve. As they are building this story and infrastructure with their own funds it is looking rather plausible now unlike the many pinball panzie schemers of the past. Should be interesting and no doubt a TX show not to miss.

The company might get 4 or 5 pins to the show. But release and ship is ambitious. Sure, I can show 5 games, but playable by March?
There will not be 5 different Oktoberfest's to play.

#1829 5 years ago

From the seminar, it sounded like an announcement in March, with shipment in June. Did I not hear it right?

#1830 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

From the seminar, it sounded like an announcement in March, with shipment in June. Did I not hear it right?

Thats what I heard as well. At this point there is no public investment nor did they technically make any firm commitments on anything really so time will tell? I must say they have Certainly spent a ton of their own money to get our attention including the Expo dinner so if this is just a look how big my Pinballs are they certainly know how to put on a show. Just a Huge hunch but unlike other past panzie schemes I suspect this is the real deal. No Way all these people left their homes and jobs to do vapor tours. Just my opinion.

#1831 5 years ago

I'm just over here wondering what panzie schemes are.

#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Sorry, "ponzi scheme". I believe the pinball definition is Highway, Dutch Pinball, Zidware and a few others.

#1833 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Panzie schemes are when they are perpetrated by Jpop.

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

I have no horse in this race - I'm not effected one way or the other if deeproot becomes a major pinball manufacturer or is a total failure, and I wasn't a Zidware customer.
If I were owed something from Zidware though, and knowing that right now JPOP has no funds to pay back Zidware customers and no means to make the machines without help...if deeproot can provide restitution to those effected by JPOP's past mistakes, isn't that a good thing? Or is JPOP so hated that - even if deeproot makes those effected whole - since they hired him, they'll never be accepted in pinball?

I’ll be buying one of his new pinball machines, just like everyone else when they come out next year.

#1835 5 years ago

Ted turner : cnn
Rupert Murdock: Fox

Deeproot: pinball

#1836 5 years ago

Who will be the distributors for Deeproot?? Is it possible they are going to try and go direct to keep costs down?? I cannot imagine Stern allowing their distributors to sell games from both companies.

#1837 5 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Who will be the distributors for Deeproot?? Is it possible they are going to try and go direct to keep costs down?? I cannot imagine Stern allowing their distributors to sell games from both companies.

Why and how would they not allow it most already represent all the competitive brands?

#1838 5 years ago

You could at least assume that they'll try to control that; they did as far as I know in some cases.

Bute widely/ internationally that's not even possible; the distribution network is too thin.

#1839 5 years ago

Nearly all of the distributors that have contacted us sell Stern already. We’ve had some amazing conversations.

—dT

#1840 5 years ago

How long do you guys think it will take for Deeproot (a company with very limited to zero experience manufacturing) to work out all of it's bugs when it comes time to actually make Pinball? Stern as admitted multiple times they are a manufacturer first, pinball company second. You gotta be good at building pinball games if you want to release more titles and make more games an anyone else. I just find it hard to believe they can pull it off. I hope they do for everyone here's sake.

#1841 5 years ago

I heard they wanted to ship them out themselves. Tall order if you ask me.

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

I heard they wanted to ship them out themselves. Tall order if you ask me.

Lol, you could read the opposite from Deeproot itself right above you.
(Ok, granted you propably were higher up the thread when reading that post you answered to.)

You misheard that, that was about the customer service when something is broken.
They said that they prefer to do that themselfes (since they know their own machines better).
Wich is still a tall order of course, when you think of worldwide distribution.

#1843 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

(Ok, granted you propably were higher up the thread when reading that post you answered to.)
You misheard that, that was about the customer service when something is broken.
They said that they prefer to do that themselfes (since they know their own machines better).

Robert spoke mainly about direct sales in the seminar at Expo.

#1844 5 years ago

while manufacturing is its own animal (you really need employees dedicated to it), for all we know they are contracting it out to an outside assembly plant. at my work we buy sub-assemblies all the time because its more cost effective. sometimes we OEM a complete product and slap our label on it. im not saying what Stern does is easy, but new companies setup manufacturing all the time (at much higher volumes than pinball). people need to stop believing Stern has some magical formula. they effectively bought sega, transferred the name, and kept rolling out games the same way (with minor improvements). they are still using the same dimpling machine for playfields, same 4x8 plywood sheets for making wire harnesses. im excited to see a video of deeproot's manufacturing process.

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

im excited to see a video of deeproot's manufacturing process.

I'm not sure that my brain would be able to handle the awesomeness that is quad-assembly (or was is octo-assembly?). But I'm willing to give it a shot.

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

lol ooops!

No I just think we responded at the same time. Good to know! Thanks!

#1847 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

while manufacturing is its own animal (you really need employees dedicated to it), for all we know they are contracting it out to an outside assembly plant. at my work we buy sub-assemblies all the time because its more cost effective. sometimes we OEM a complete product and slap our label on it. im not saying what Stern does is easy, but new companies setup manufacturing all the time (at much higher volumes than pinball). people need to stop believing Stern has some magical formula. they effectively bought sega, transferred the name, and kept rolling out games the same way (with minor improvements). they are still using the same dimpling machine for playfields, same 4x8 plywood sheets for making wire harnesses. im excited to see a video of deeproot's manufacturing process.

He's talked about doing it at their facility several times, and in more of an office rather than production line type environment.

Have to assume that major sub-assemblies will all be shipped in though ... I don't see how the above production model could possibly work efficiently (or at all) if they were doing complex assembly and fabrication in house.

#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

I'm not sure that my brain would be able to handle the awesomeness that is quad-assembly (or was is octo-assembly?). But I'm willing to give it a shot.

Octo = Octopus.

Cthulu has tentacle face.

In order to take over the market they needed the blessing of Cthulu.

Cthulu agreed on the condition that they hire JPop.

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

Nearly all of the distributors that have contacted us sell Stern already. We’ve had some amazing conversations.
—dT

Awesome, can’t wait to see what you guys turn out

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Why and how would they not allow it most already represent all the competitive brands?

Happens all the time.... companies give advantages and preference to companies that 'invest' back into the brand, by committing to marketing budgets, committing to volumes, or committing to 'exclusivity', or other avenues...

It's certainly possible... I just don't think the market supports it except for maybe a handful that could do it.

It was a big deal in the earlier days when companies like Bally/etc had much bigger power... now, not so much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/37?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.