Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 672.
#1701 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Everyone but jpop got applause after they introduced themselves and shared their story.. that’s gotta hurt..

Good that's how it should be

#1702 5 years ago

All of us listening to Deep root and John popaduk!

FB_IMG_1539989325305 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1539989325305 (resized).jpg
#1704 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

[quoted image]

Now,that’s funny

#1705 5 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

[quoted image]

Post of the year!

#1706 5 years ago

I think deeproot well be good player in pinball next year they have the talent / money.

#1707 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Expo deeproot.
[quoted image]

Is that backhead on the left George Gomez?

#1708 5 years ago

JP: "You can't work on a game for four years and not finish it."

Me: Actually, dude, apparently YOU can.

#1709 5 years ago

So At the beginning of the presentation JPop was the only one who agreed pinball was simple, perhaps looking for laughter but the room was silent.

I DID laugh a few minutes in when my spouse sent me this but from his Wikipedia page, which she swears was written by someone within 40 feet of us.

In all quite interesting.

C2D9A14C-AA03-44C2-ACA6-AA57648D17DF (resized).pngC2D9A14C-AA03-44C2-ACA6-AA57648D17DF (resized).png
#1710 5 years ago

At least thanks to "pinball news" now I have a face to associate with Robert Müller.

#1711 5 years ago

Everyone but jpop got applause after they introduced themselves and shared their story.. that’s gotta hurt..

Has anyone taken a picture of his back yet?

#1712 5 years ago

I’m really disappointed in this expo talk.
I have a lot of respect for Steve Bowden, Barry Ousler, and Dennis Nordman. I don’t know the other artists.. So I mean no disrespect to them..

There has been no substance.. Robert is asking questions to the team that’s mostly about their approach to pinball, design etc. JPop rambles on for way too long and says things that directly conflict with how he has executed in the past. I love these designers, but have heard their stories a thousand times at these panels..

This seemed woefully unprepared and last minute. No slides/video or even a static image projected and seemingly loose agenda/message. I would expect with such a powerhouse team and seemingly infinite budget, that at least some slides could be put together. David Thiels presentation that he did himself on Q*Berts audio blew this entire presentation out of the water.

It seems that the company’s plan is to hire big name talent, give them complete freedom, promise everyone the world and hope it all works out. (My opinion). I think this is reflected in the presentation today.

Roberts Main message - We are working hard behind the scenes .. ahead on some things behind on others.. we set a deadline for ourselves, and coming at TPF in March “some amazing things”.

Other main points and “big” promises - Magic girls shipped without the floating ball trick working, it’s never been done and hard to do, but deeproot has solved that problem.

They are going with a one tiered model and one tiered price. Would love to get prices lower than any pinball company has ever been done, with more toys than other games. They will be working on higher end games and will have something for all price ranges.

“Will release more than any manufacturer in history, and more titles that has ever been released in one year”

I don’t want to throw shade on anyone working to expand pinball and bring new technology and games to the market. But my “spidey-sense” is off the charts.. they aren’t taking preorders or money so, no harm in it.. but I can’t put my finger on the gameplan.

#1713 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Expo deeproot.
[quoted image]

It may be just me, but they ALL look positively depressed.

#1714 5 years ago

Thanks, knockerlover.

I'm having deja vu all over again.

New pinball startups talking a good game is so 2014.

I mean, I know they have a ton of talent, and I know that talent is excited. But we've seen this movie before.

Even when they show up with a game, it doesn't mean anything until customers start receiving good quality machines in a timely fashion.

“Will release more than any manufacturer in history, and more titles that has ever been released in one year”

And sell those to whom, exactly?

I swore after jpop I'd never go against my business sense again. This makes no sense. The only different variable this time is where the money came from, but that doesn't change who the buyers are and how they get manufactured.

#1715 5 years ago

Steve Ritchie just crashed the Q and A and it was epic.

#1716 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

And bizarre. I think his hearing aids were turned down because he was yelling into the mic.

#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

oh man, please fill us in.

#1718 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

oh man, please fill us in.

“Dennis, what are you making red water, blue water?” Dennis said “dish water” but Ritchie didn’t hear him.

“Barry what are you making another comet game?” (Edited: he said “comet” Not “copy”)

“Hi John”

“That’s it, thanks bye!”

#1719 5 years ago

Picture of Jpop’s back for the Pinside tough guys.

090CAC4C-5D19-4CCA-BBC7-2BB15C8961BE (resized).jpeg090CAC4C-5D19-4CCA-BBC7-2BB15C8961BE (resized).jpeg
#1720 5 years ago

Please post a link if this is true. Anyone streaming this?

#1721 5 years ago

So I guess that's it?

#1722 5 years ago

The hint at the end was

“Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland”

Heard Robert say to someone that he recently played the “release candidate” for RAZA and loves it. Someone else guessed “Cosmic Chaos” and Robert conformed it was one of those. So.. probably RAZA at TPF

#1723 5 years ago

pinballnews.com has been updated including the deeproot seminar and photos. I won't repost here but the link is:

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/10/19/pinball-expo-2018-friday/

#1724 5 years ago

May have been posted before but my guess: Five days of root will be five titles released at once. Granted I would not put money down unless there were boxes ready to ship. I think we have heard 4 of the five titles floated already.

#1725 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Five days of root will be five titles released at once

That seems like a sure way to sell fewer of each title.

#1726 5 years ago

They also referenced the ad in the expo program as a hint.. seems to resonate with RAZA

E60A5993-D016-48B0-ADF2-AB2610680FFC (resized).jpegE60A5993-D016-48B0-ADF2-AB2610680FFC (resized).jpeg
#1727 5 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

That seems like a sure way to sell fewer of each title.

I think your right and that it's an opportunity to show off some deep pockets. Just think how it could effect the current sales and resale market.

#1728 5 years ago

This seemed woefully unprepared and last minute. No slides/video or even a static image projected and seemingly loose agenda/message. I would expect with such a powerhouse team and seemingly infinite budget, that at least some slides could be put together. David Thiels presentation that he did himself on Q*Berts audio blew this entire presentation out of the water.

It's pinball, its horrific marketing, messaging and presentation. What do you expect.

That looks like a F ing criminal lineup, especially Jpop!

Are those his big balls laying on the floor? My god it takes some major stones to sit up there and "tell your story".

#1729 5 years ago

Would have been even better if some people stood up and turned their backs to him or walked out during his intro!

#1730 5 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Would have been even better if some people stood up and turned their backs to him or walked out during his intro!

Then why go in there in the first place if you intend to leave?

That's not showing anything in the leaving persons favor, to say it very mildly.

#1731 5 years ago

I'm must say I'm impressed with the presentation! I want one of each.

Where do I send my money?

#1732 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

LOL. Send your Deposits to the Russian conspiracy campaign. You get a free pinball machine

#1733 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

PMd you!!!

#1734 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Then why go in there in the first place if you intend to leave?
That's not showing anything in the leaving persons favor, to say it very mildly.

The point would be to publicly insult and shame him (if J-Pop had any shame).

Maybe “turning your back on a speaker” or “leaving the room” isn’t a thing that is done in Germany?

#1735 5 years ago

If anyone knows about the game Dennis Nordman was working on in his workshop a few years back, with a sci-fi theme, that poster speaks way more to that than RAZA to me. Won't be surprised to find out he sold it to Deep Root. Hope he gets paid better than he did from Woah Nellie out of all this!

#1736 5 years ago

It was terrible and jpoop not getting applause was top.

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If anyone knows about the game Dennis Nordman was working on in his workshop a few years back, with a sci-fi theme, that poster speaks way more to that than RAZA to me. Won't be surprised to find out he sold it to Deep Root. Hope he gets paid better than he did from Woah Nellie out of all this!

Agree. I don’t see resemblance to RAZA in that poster.
Didn’t Dennis mention the opportunity to do his dream game?

#1738 5 years ago

“Dennis, what are you making red water, blue water?” Dennis said “dish water” but Ritchie didn’t hear him.
“Barry what are you making another copy game?”
“Hi John”
“That’s it, thanks bye!”

Pretty sure he asked Barry if he was making another Comet game. Just clarifying in case yours was a typo or anything.

#1739 5 years ago

“Barry what are you making another copy game?”
“Hi John”
“That’s it, thanks bye!”

If that's what happened, Steve was acting very unprofessionally.
Considering the fact that Steve is also rehashing his own designs it's pretty embarassing actually.

#1740 5 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

If that's what happened, Steve was acting very unprofessionally.
Considering the fact that Steve is also rehashing his own designs it's pretty embarassing actually.

I think he actually said 'comic game'. Not copy game

#1741 5 years ago
Quoted from c508:

The point would be to publicly insult and shame him (if J-Pop had any shame).
Maybe “turning your back on a speaker” or “leaving the room” isn’t a thing that is done in Germany?

As I said there's a difference when you intentionally go there... just to leave.
That's just plain childish.

If you come by by accident that's completely diffent.

That just noone applauded is the right thing to do.

#1742 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

As I said there's a difference when you intentionally go there... just to leave.
That's just plain childish.

I don’t think it’s any different than students protesting a controversial speaker at a university (like Mumia Abu Jamal or Charles Murray) or constituents calling out a politician on his/her bs at a “town hall” event.

#1743 5 years ago

Well, Mueller claims they're going to release more machines in 2019 than any manufacturer has in a year, in the history of the industry. He didn't say Stern era, or even solid state or DMD era.

That's got to be hyperbole, and probably refers to DMD era. What was the max for BW? 5? 6?

Even assuming they can get all these games out, they're great to play, reliable, well built, more affordable, look good, the software's excellent, and that they can manufacture more machines than the rest of the industry combined (as was implied previously) .... where is the demand?

More importantly, even if there were potentially enough buyers (globally) to support this level of production, where is the distribution network and where are the retailers? A big enough one for arcade and pinball machines hasn't existed since the 90s. He obviously wants to do direct sales, but that's probably only going to work in the US (& maybe Canada), and then, he better have planned for millions in marketing budgets (net, print, TV), else who's going to know about them, much less buy them?

From talk I've heard, and what has been implied by Robert, a modular software framework that allows very quick implementation of rules and getting machines playable very swiftly seems to be their ace as far as development is concerned. This is great, and long overdue - more so if the end user has access to an API. Manufacturing, and BOM costs, well I guess we'll see about that.

But why release everything en masse on your *debut* ????? Just why.

You flood the market, almost ensuring lower sales for not just the industry, but your titles too, and placing a huge amount of pressure on keeping the pipeline going.

This seems mad, given that interest rates in the US are expected to continue quickly upwards in 2019, public and private debt will snowball, Trump shows no sign of backing down on his global trade war, major economies are looking either very shaky or potentially entering crises (Turkey, Italy, UK etc), China is cooling off a little and debt levels are getting a bit dangerous there. 2020 *could* be a cataclysmic year, and if there hasn't been a major shock and economic consequences by the middle of 2021, I'd be really surprised.

Why blow your load like this, given the way the wind is blowing? Pinball market is already a bit overheated, and in danger of market saturation even before they launch.

Maybe they want to be the #1 right away, but even if that happens they risk catalysing a crash in the industry, which will screw them as much as anyone else given their apparently very large investments. Unless this is all just a tax write off, so the cost of cornering the market is immaterial?

#1744 5 years ago

In reality, they’ve spent quite a lot of money and haven’t asked the pinball community for a dime. I’ll reserve judgement, sit back and watch the explosion. The question is will the explosion be celebratory fireworks or will it be a bomb in the deeproot factory. In either case, a small bit of flak hitting jpop enough to cause a bit of pain would probably be applauded by all.

#1745 5 years ago

I actually enjoyed the seminar. It was well structured and they talked about as much as they could without revealing too much and it was interesting hearing the veteran designers approach to game design during the 80's/90's vs. now.

There was some kool aid drinking going on with the loaded questions of "what new opportunities has deeproot given you" and "how does deeproot allow you design differently" which got tiring because we haven't seen anything from them yet. That aside, it's worth a watch.

-Doug

#1746 5 years ago

JPOP is totally happy. He’s around a group of people who think he’s a bumbling genius again. A bad business man, but a revolutionary pinball designer... despite all evidence to the contrary.

Nobody is going to give him any shit in person, because they’re too busy trying to get their TOTAN back Tattoo signed by the guy who had nothing to do with the art.

I REALLY hope the Derproot story has a happy ending. Unfortunately, Robert has talked a lot of gobbledygook, and corporate nonsense that simply doesn’t fly when it comes to hard manufacturing. As frolic said... we’ve seen this movie before. Dutch were going to do it better. Heighway were going to do it better. Everybody said Stern was a dinosaur that didn’t understand the market... hows that working out for them?!

I don’t know Robert, and I wish him zero ill will... but he sounds like a wealthy Foodie that has decided to buy prime real estate and open the City’s “hottest new Eatery” while knowing nothing about running a restaurant. It’s not just money.

Yes, that’s a restaurantgument!

He was a new collector, and drank the JPOP Koolade. He has thrown money hand over fist at the newest attempt to make pinball. I hope it works out. I really do. There are a lot of good people involved.

IF it works out, and we get new and fun pinball, all this nonsense will fade. I just wish they had delivered something... anything... before talking about how revolutionary they were.

But I’m just an idiot on a Pinball Forum!

#1747 5 years ago

Also, Ritchie definitely asked Barry Oursler if he could make another Comet. Nothing to do with copying.

#1748 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Also, Ritchie definitely asked Barry Oursler if he could make another Comet. Nothing to do with copying.

Thanks I corrected this.

For the others that were there, what were the guesses at the end for what the game to be released at TPF would be? I heard.. RAZA, Kosmic Khaos (the Mark Ritchie concept idea), but there were 1-2 others. Robert confirmed that one of those guessed was correct.

You may be right that it isn’t RAZA, Ed from TPF was in front of us and said to his wife “what’s RAZA?” I assume he would know the next game to be released there.

#1749 5 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

I actually enjoyed the seminar. It was well structured and they talked about as much as they could without revealing too much

We must have been in different talks, they didn’t reveal anything.. and the whole thing was ad libbed.

#1750 5 years ago

It's likely still RAZA. If I remember, the premise was aliens invading, and creating zombies. In some of the original art I remember some guys with antennas. Some of it looked like Mars Attacks as well with the glass domes over their heads. So the art was redone, but some of the imagery is still similar.

It used to be Ben Heck creating zombies.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.