Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 672.
#15651 3 years ago

160 games is pathetic for how much they spent. It is a no win moving forward with these lethargic numbers.

#15652 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

160 games is pathetic for how much they spent. It is a no win moving forward with these lethargic numbers.

You aren't considering the pre-orders they may have for Food Truck.

#15653 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

It is really easy to armchair quarterback this stuff, but decision after decision after decision is just baffling. They arent required to explain it to me or anyone else for that matter but it just leaves you searching for answers. For a new manufacturer why would you not 1) put RAZA in locations in several places that are still open and let people learn how good it is. Led Zepplin I think has benefited from multiple streaming events from its initial reception. 2) run game ordering for a year, I mean what the hell do you have to lose other than recouping some of your initial investment. What company says you have 30 days to order our machine from and unproven manufacturer or it disappears and you can pay another $5K more. 3) pull in the key opinion leaders and either pay them or at least offer them to do reviews on it.

So why wouldn’t you do any of this ? The only reason I can come up with is either a) you are trying to become the next Supreme or b) you know you have a dog, DOA on your hands and you want to bury it as soon as possible. If that’s true you should have moved one of your other games to the front of the line and led with that first. Even with 130 games out there if it’s a dog you are gonna have a hard time living that down. And if it’s not a dog, boy you left lots of money on the table.

#15654 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

It is really easy to armchair quarterback this stuff, but decision after decision after decision is just baffling. They arent required to explain it to me or anyone else for that matter but it just leaves you searching for answers. For a new manufacturer why would you not 1) put RAZA in locations in several places that are still open and let people learn how good it is. Led Zepplin I think has benefited from multiple streaming events from its initial reception. 2) run game ordering for a year, I mean what the hell do you have to lose other than recouping some of your initial investment. What company says you have 30 days to order our machine from and unproven manufacturer or it disappears and you can pay another $5K more. 3) pull in the key opinion leaders and either pay them or at least offer them to do reviews on it.
So why wouldn’t you do any of this ? The only reason I can come up with is either a) you are trying to become the next Supreme or b) you know you have a dog, DOA on your hands and you want to bury it as soon as possible. If that’s true you should have moved one of your other games to the front of the line and led with that first. Even with 130 games out there if it’s a dog you are gonna have a hard time living that down. And if it’s not a dog, boy you left lots of money on the table.

I want one but this is pretty hard to argue with .

#15655 3 years ago

I admit, I like the looks and the theme, and gameplay doesn't look bad at all. I just don't have faith in the company. Too many other options out there.

#15656 3 years ago

How many of the orders were full of partial freebies for zidware customers?

#15657 3 years ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

How many of the orders were full of partial freebies for zidware customers?

Great question as this makes it a bit worse.

#15658 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

It is really easy to armchair quarterback this stuff

Really! I know some here just love to see themselves talk and try to show their butt buddies here how smart they supposedly are but its time to put your keyboard aside for at least 24 hours, get a job and see what happens instead of rambling on about something you really know very little about.

#15659 3 years ago

Pinball is easy

#15660 3 years ago

No money on the line here, just an observation. I played the RAZA prototype at the Houston Arcade Expo in Nov 2019. It was a pinball machine with an an interesting Sci-Fi theme. They didn’t re-invent the wheel. It played like a prototype. I don’t understand the hype. I’m a big fan of show me over tell me. When they show me a game I can purchase, I’ll take a look.

#15661 3 years ago

But surely pinball may not be that easy?

#15662 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

What company says you have 30 days to order our machine from and unproven manufacturer or it disappears and you can pay another $5K more.

It seemed to me a transparent attempt to use FOMO to drive sales. I think to that end, it did add to some sales, but now it's capped at that small number.

#15663 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Really! I know some here just love to see themselves talk and try to show their butt buddies here how smart they supposedly are but its time to put your keyboard aside for at least 24 hours, get a job and see what happens instead of rambling on about something you really know very little about.

Nice!

It actually takes a lot of restraint to not just open a can of whoop ass on this company every time they do something that anybody with a dollop of sense seems crazy. I could itemize every crazy or bad decision they have made, but spoilers, I would just be regurgitating this entire thread.

Most of us legitimately hope they deliver something cool, and somehow don't wipe themselves out before at the very least delivering games that they have received money for. But after watching them set a rake on the ground, then obliviously walk into it and be surprised that it smacks them in the face what feels like a dozen times now, it seems really far fetched they somehow have it figured out now.

I mean wait until they realize that screwing a game together "is hard", and even harder is when you make each game a one off custom jobbie. WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS GOING TO BE HARD!

And there will be the common sense face palmer's here, and others who will say "shut up, you don't know how hard this all is". We didn't say it was going to be easy peasy. This company did.

#15664 3 years ago

Quote from the Deeproot email

Quoted from Jarson:

ADDITIONAL STREAMS
We have received lots of requests for additional video coverage or streaming. We finally got all the cameras for our internal rig. But (and being completely honest) I have requested that they be delayed for now. Our creative team is working hard on other projects and deadlines. I feel that since orders are over, adding additional content in the short term is moot.

They still have to sell the 30 plus "round up" games so sale orders are not really over. And with the new top tier pricing they need to show something. More importantly, they need to reassure invested customers by showing something. If you read between the lines of the other RAZA thread, they are putting on a brave face but demoralized and I don't blame them. Between this thread and another blown deadline they must be feeling beaten up.

And forget the inhouse video or streaming. Why not turn a game over to a reputable and established third party to live stream it for a couple of hours. Multimorphic sent their new Heist game to Buffalo Pinball for example.

#15665 3 years ago

I bet it's summer before anything trickles out the door.

Guessing Robert didn't know that the lockdown bar is the most niche part on a machine? There's only a few stamps for it in existence.

I can see why most vendors would run away from the PinBar. It's stamped metal but then you have a window in it which has to line up to a fixed size LCD. So what do you do? Mill out the window after you stamp it? Sounds like a huge pain in the butt to only make (hahaha haha) 160 units.

That's why the prototype the Deep Six saw had the sharp corners. Most likely it was steel, laser cut as a flat pack box and then bent into shape with a brake. They'd then weld the corners and grind the shit out of it the make it somewhat smooth.

But to get the nice curve we like requires metal to be stretched with a stamp. This is probably costing him a small fortune.

Oh and obligatory JPOP rant: John is still butt hurt that they used Gomez's concept for Pinball 2k instead of his. John's concept was... Wait for it... Status LCD and graphics near the shooter lane. Hm.....

#15666 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

If you read between the lines of the other RAZA thread, they are putting on a brave face but demoralized

Lol. Don't think anyone feels that way but this topic Is all about assuming thus far.

#15667 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Sounds like a huge pain in the butt to only make (hahaha haha) 160 units.

That’s what I find confusing. The PinBar™ should be on all their games. So they should be finding someone that can schedule regular deliveries

The production line has to be continuously feed once started.

#15668 3 years ago

seems pretty much every other new companies had long delays due to just the last few parts needed, and these guys are still 30% missing?

How could they possible have thought 4 weeks ago that game would be coming off the line? Really makes you question if they have people there who have any clue about manufacturing pinball machines.

Was Homepin ever able to get a metal lockdown bar made? That should have been a huge red flag to DR about getting pinbar made. Your main feature and you have no vendor to make it, but you announce a date you are shipping games? Maybe pinbar 2.0 will be space age plastic!

How may times can one guy and one company just step in it?

Although pinball is a somewhat obscure industry, this would make for a great business school case study -- of what not to do!

Some people can dream and talk big and then deliver, but those are far and few, and while Mueller wants to be one, he is clearly not.

#15669 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Quote from the Deeproot email

They still have to sell the 30 plus "round up" games so sale orders are not really over. And with the new top tier pricing they need to show something. More importantly, they need to reassure invested customers by showing something. If you read between the lines of the other RAZA thread, they are putting on a brave face but demoralized and I don't blame them. Between this thread and another blown deadline they must be feeling beaten up.
And forget the inhouse video or streaming. Why not turn a game over to a reputable and established third party to live stream it for a couple of hours. Multimorphic sent their new Heist game to Buffalo Pinball for example.

I agree with them for not streaming. I don’t think it’ll really push those ~30 games. Them being for sale in a box will move them. Besides other people will stream it when they get theirs

I had forgotten what the game looked liked and watch Steve’s 15 min video again to refresh myself. Steve’s enthusiasm and joy does a better job selling the game than the game itself. And also, there just didn’t seem to be that much to do? Which is fine, it has a WPC era simplicity (looked like only a couple major modes and a handful of side objectives). But I think most home owners expect more depth of modern games at these prices.

Or maybe the game is very deep and they did a poor job conveying it. Shrug.

The games will sell regardless though if they’re in a box.

I kinda wonder how they’ll sprinkle in those 30 games into production. Will they be last built? They hopefully don’t go the Heighway route of letting people cut the line for cash payments.

#15670 3 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

How smart I am ? Hmm, I’m admittedly an idiot when it comes to what they have done because I know nothing of their financial situation, manufacturing situation, internal evaluations. But to not question the reasoning behind any of their decisions when on the surface they seem completely illogical ? Well there’s an entire financial industry devoted to doing just that. Have a job .... check I have that. Run a business .... double check I do so for both a startup and my own arcade which is beyond transparent about its current financial status on pinside. Have an opinion ..... yeah I get to have one of those too. Is it a well informed opinion ... couldn’t tell you as there is sparse insight into that company. All I can say is from the brief glimpses we have had into this business it doesn’t add up, at all. And really it doesn’t take much to arrive at the conclusion which is why so many have expressed something similar lately.

#15671 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

agreed.. In Mid to late March you'll hear more excuses and things not going as well as planned GUARANTEED (and as I have stated earlier some of those issues). When our company lays out a schedule, we not only include the initial tooling time we include time to make adjustments to the tool (plus testing time). I hope everyone who pre-ordered is VERY patient.

Quoted from benheck:

I can see why most vendors would run away from the PinBar. It's stamped metal but then you have a window in it which has to line up to a fixed size LCD. So what do you do? Mill out the window after you stamp it? Sounds like a huge pain in the butt to only make (hahaha haha) 160 units.

Milling is probably what they'll end up doing (at least for this build because of low volume), but since it's for a screen with sharp corners they have to decide how small they want to go on the radius. Go too small, it'll take forever to mill that out. Go too big, and you'll lose screen real estate. If this was a high volume product, you could do a progressive die, but that's some serious money (and you better be right on the position, or have plenty of clearance around the display in case it's not exactly where you expect it).

#15672 3 years ago

They had a decent prototype for the rounded pinbar, could they use the same prototyping process to manufacture all 160 pinbars faster than finding a vendor?

#15673 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

The production line has to be continuously feed once started.

There is 0 chance the production line runs continuously after RAZA ends, unless they start building in late summer and it takes them at least a year to get thru the 160. Then again.. how many customized games do they expect to really build every day? It COULD take a year to get thru that 160.

#15674 3 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

They had a decent prototype for the rounded pinbar, could they use the same prototyping process to manufacture all 160 pinbars faster than finding a vendor?

I'd bet a fine Christmas dinner that second prototype PinBar was fake. Or rather, "Frankensteined" together.

You'd take an off-the-shelf lockdown bar, sandblast it, weld on an extension, mill out the hole, grind the be-Jesus out of it, sand, powedercoat and viola!

Then said company would be shocked, SHOCKED I say!... to learn something that difficult to "mock up" will scare away most vendors.

#15675 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

There is 0 chance the production line runs continuously after RAZA ends, unless they start building in late summer and it takes them at least a year to get thru the 160. Then again.. how many customized games do they expect to really build every day? It COULD take a year to get thru that 160.

First thing is that they have to start and get it running.

As soon as you know at wich volume you can produce games, you know how far in advance you'd have to get the next game ready for the line and open preorders. (- So preemtively: Yes, they have to take preorders for their next game while Raza is still on the line. This is normal. )

And if you only produce 1 game a year, it's easy to keep the pace continuously. It all changes with volume.

#15676 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I agree with them for not streaming. I don’t think it’ll really push those ~30 games. Them being for sale in a box will move them. Besides other people will stream it when they get theirs

Fair enough and I can agree with that. But I'm curious of how well those 30 or so extra games will sell. Don't forget these $8000 and $13,000 machines have no warranty and you must sign a blanket indemnity contract.

#15677 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

In Mid to late March you'll hear more excuses and things not going as well as planned GUARANTEED

my guess is late February. CNY starts next Friday and lasts through about 20 Feb, and as of this week downstream supplier order windows were dwindling.

#15678 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

IF and when the trickle happens - that could be it too. If they get 10-20 games put together I would be surprised.

#15679 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

my guess is late February. CNY starts next Friday and lasts through about 20 Feb, and as of this week downstream supplier order windows were dwindling.

We have parts about to ship next week before the 8th for a project.. Every supplier in China basically says if you haven't ALREADY made arrangements weeks ago, you can forget about even getting in queue to ship parts until the 20th... That's how busy the shipment centers are right now.

#15680 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Guessing Robert didn't know that the lockdown bar is the most niche part on a machine? There's only a few stamps for it in existence.
That's why the prototype the Deep Six saw had the sharp corners. Most likely it was steel, laser cut as a flat pack box and then bent into shape with a brake. They'd then weld the corners and grind the shit out of it the make it somewhat smooth.
But to get the nice curve we like requires metal to be stretched with a stamp. This is probably costing him a small fortune.
Oh and obligatory JPOP rant: John is still butt hurt that they used Gomez's concept for Pinball 2k instead of his. John's concept was... Wait for it... Status LCD and graphics near the shooter lane. Hm.....

Why not just use the current sharp-edged lockbar and sell some cushioned PinBar PinPads to stick on the edges? Bam, one more innovation!

#15681 3 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Why not just use the current sharp-edged lockbar and sell some cushioned PinBar PinPads to stick on the edges? Bam, one more innovation!

Add another $1k and pad the entire inside of the PinPod with PinPads.

#15682 3 years ago

Keep the sharp edges and sell PinGloves™ in a variety of sizes and colorways. Perfect upsale for this pandemic environment

#15683 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Keep the sharp edges and sell PinGloves™ in a variety of sizes and colorways. Perfect upsale for this pandemic environment

lolz. I would add PinMask™, not just for Covid but you protect yourself from the rays of fun streaming at you.

#15684 3 years ago
Quoted from happyclan:

lolz. I would add PinMask™, not just for Covid but you protect yourself from the rays of fun streaming at you.

PinShades™ because their future is so bright.

#15685 3 years ago

A PinPlunger would be useful cuz the shit Deeproot feeds their customers is extra thick.

And they can package it with a sample size of PinLax, for those days when you just feel backed up from all their excuses.

#15686 3 years ago

This seems like a great time to plug my new product PinPee for when you are in the middle of a great game and can't walk away but you gotta go now!

#15687 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This seems like a great time to plug my new product PinPee for when you are in the middle of a great game and can't walk away but you gotta go now!

We already have cupholders.

#15688 3 years ago

It'll happen. Just some parts delays...... Pin Promise ™

( your mileage my vary )

#15689 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

We already have cupholders.

Well I guess if you wanna pee in your drink that's your choice

#15690 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

If the Pinbar remains troublesome, expect the aftermarket mod: pinBRA.
Kind of makes sense. The torpedo buxom look was popular in the fifties and RAZA is, after all, a retro-themed game.
Introducing PinBRA, the comfortable solution to bloody palms: in 3 cup sizes and 30 exciting styles. This week's special for Fire & Brimstone: 10% off crucifixion cups.

Four months later and we're still ruminating about pinBRA, pinGLOVES and sundry other imagined aftermarket products. If nothing else, this thread always defaults to entertainment which, I suppose, adds to the RAZA folklore.

I was Zidware's RAZA #4 preorder customer. I was lucky to secure reimbursement for my spot just before Pintasia's rescue effort. Consequently, I don't have the stomach to reinvest in this title.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to see that the game is likely to materialize, albeit far beyond projected timelines, and pinBRAless.

#15691 3 years ago

PinSanitizer(tm) add-on gently sprays the flipper buttons with a disinfectant mist (which is, of course, purple colored) after each game.

To reload the PinSanitizer(tm) simply swap out the PinPerfumeCartridge(tm) which contains an RFID locked pump mechanism, enough fluid for 25 sanitations and is, of course, molded in purple plastic.

You can order new PinPerfumeCartridges(tm) from deeproot. Each cartridge costs $500, $250 of which is the core charge to return your empty unit because we care about the environment! Or, for an even better savings, customers subscribed to PinCare(tm) will receive a 10% discount(tm) on each PinPerfumeCartridge(tm) and deeproot will waive the core charge.

#15692 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

PinSanitizer(tm) add-on gently sprays the flipper buttons with a disinfectant mist (which is, of course, purple colored) after each game.
To reload the PinSanitizer(tm) simply swap out the PinPerfumeCartridge(tm) which contains an RFID locked pump mechanism, enough fluid for 25 sanitations and is, of course, molded in purple plastic.
You can order new PinPerfumeCartridges(tm) from deeproot. Each cartridge costs $500, $250 of which is the core charge to return your empty unit because we care about the environment! Or, for an even better savings, customers subscribed to PinCare(tm) will receive a 10% discount(tm) on each PinPerfumeCartridge(tm) and deeproot will waive the core charge.

There is too much truth here...

#15693 3 years ago

So guys, I kinda slept on the past couple months. did Deeproot ever make a game?

#15694 3 years ago

No, tm.

#15695 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Please.. when will you get over John? Feels like you live for crying about all the wrongs he did.
But seriously, move on

Saw you as a guy with cool inventional ideas but nowadays it's only whineing

#15696 3 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

Four months later and we're still ruminating about pinBRA, .

pinSIERRE!!

#15698 3 years ago

Remember all the talk about DLC and a subscription model? That makes no sense when there are only 160 machines.

I really want DR to succeed because another manufacturer would bring more variety and different ideas to pinball. But I am seriously bummed out by how they launched RAZA.

Why force people to order sight unseen? That is such an odd choice for an unproven company. It's clear now that only a small number of potential customers were willing to gamble on this. The low number of orders will limit DR's interest in creating additional content for RAZA. Let's hope RAZA doesn't turn into a brick if they go belly up and their cloud service stops working...

#15699 3 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Please.. when will you get over John? Feels like you live for crying about all the wrongs he did.
But seriously, move on
Saw you as a guy with cool inventional ideas but nowadays it's only whineing

It's because the answer to every baffling deeproot decision is "Jpop". It's Zidware 2.0, dialed up to 11

#15700 3 years ago
Quoted from waveman:

Remember all the talk about DLC and a subscription model? That makes no sense when there are only 160 machines.

It's ALMOST like they don't know what they are doing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 314 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/314 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.