Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 672.
#1451 5 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

Oh and there is also the possibility that he hasn't just hired a bunch of great people in pinball, but has talked them each into buying one of those $25,000 investments in the company. I'd be interested to know if they are just employees or also investors.

None of them will be investors.

Though it's very possible they might have share entitlements.

#1452 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

None of them will be investors.
Though it's very possible they might have share entitlements.

That must be some European terminology. Do you mean stock options, a profit sharing plan, or something different?

Unless deeproot is planning on going public or seeking acquisition, stock options would be unlikely. And I highly doubt the IPO prospects for a pinball company, no matter how revolutionary. I also don't think there are any likely buyers.

I guess they could have a profit sharing plan, but that would seem premature and risky given they probably still don't know their actual costs. Regardless, their investors will want to be first in line on profits.

#1453 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

That must be some European terminology. Do you mean stock options, a profit sharing plan, or something different?

This money thingy!

#1454 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

No.
It's highly unlikely that any of their employees are also accredited investors (meaning they have a net worth of a million bucks or more). This is a federal requirement:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=8edfd12967d69c024485029d968ee737&r=SECTION&n=17y3.0.1.1.12.0.46.176

Or $200k single $300k joint income

And it’s basically just you disclosing you meet the criteria so the advisor who is selling these things is off the hook liability wise Red D wise

However, advisors still have other potential liability issues

#1455 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And it’s basically just you disclosing you meet the criteria so the advisor who is selling these things is off the hook liability wise Red D wise

Um, I hope you're not suggesting a faked up a piece of paper with bogus assets or income from a dodgy investor absolves the company of liability. Because that's not the way Reg D works.

2 weeks later
#1456 5 years ago

deeproot is announcing the addition of Steven Bowden to its ‘Future Worlds with deeproot Pinball’ seminar panel at 5:15pm on Friday 10/19 at Pinball Expo.

Steve has only been with us for six weeks but has pounded out more ingenious rule script than the best in the biz. It’s been a treat to see a master at work.

— Robert dT

#1457 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

deeproot is announcing the addition of Steven Bowden to its ‘Future Worlds with deeproot Pinball’ seminar panel at 5:15pm on Friday 10/19 at Pinball Expo.
Steve has only been with us for six weeks but has pounded more ingenious rule script than the best in the biz. It’s been a treat to see a master at work.
— Robert dT

Very much looking forward to that.
I hope there will be a stream.

I have one question:
When ramping up production and starting domestic sales next year,
how quick do you intend to get CE certification and start sales overseas?

#1458 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

deeproot Pinball’ seminar panel at 5:15pm on Friday 10/19 at Pinball Expo.

Do you guys have any plans to be at the Florida Freeplay show in Orlando Nov. 9-11th?

#1459 5 years ago

DS_Nadine Yes.
Only_Pinball No

— dT

1 week later
#1460 5 years ago

After we had a chance to do a tour at deeproot last week, a deeproot article will be posted tomorrow morning!

It'll be one of the most interesting articles to ever appear on TWIP.

Obligatory teaser! We'll cover:

The Tour at deeproot
Is it "Pinball"?
The Break Room
deeproot Departments and Processes
- The Guts
- Displays/Animations/Rules/Storyboarding
- Playfield Designers
- Programming and Product Development
- Manufacturing
The Oval Room

Check it out tomorrow!

#1461 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

After we had a chance to do a tour at deeproot last week, a deeproot article will be posted tomorrow morning!
It'll be one of the most interesting articles to ever appear on TWIP.
Obligatory teaser! We'll cover:
The Tour at deeproot
Is it "Pinball"?
The Break Room
deeproot Departments and Processes
- The Guts
- Displays/Animations/Rules/Storyboarding
- Playfield Designers
- Programming and Product Development
- Manufacturing
The Oval Room
Check it out tomorrow!

Uh oh... >> Is it "Pinball"?

#1462 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Uh oh... >> Is it "Pinball"?

Agreed, this doesn't sound good.

#1463 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Is it "Pinball"?

Lol. When were those 3 words used to describe any other pinball startup? Even the P3 qualifies as "pinball", no one contests that. I'm intrigued, but not sure in what sense.

#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Lol. When were those 3 words used to describe any other pinball startup? Even the P3 qualifies as "pinball", no one contests that. I'm intrigued, but not sure in what sense.

Perhaps they are doing very nice VP tables. Better have multi-level transparent displays like I’ve been talking about

#1465 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

The Break Room

Unless they have a bigger wall of microwaves, then we don't really careec1b379d4d82b2106c39583925a405ce472aee95 (resized).jpgec1b379d4d82b2106c39583925a405ce472aee95 (resized).jpg

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Unless they have a bigger wall of microwaves, then we don't really care[quoted image]

That's still one of the saddest images in pinball.

#1467 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Perhaps they are doing very nice VP tables. Better have multi-level transparent displays like I’ve been talking about

That's been my guess for months, based on their huge development team (in Utah?) and hardly any manufacturing discussion. And all this talk of "revolutionizing" pinball technology. And now Stern is going Oculus Rift?

I hope I'm wrong.

#1468 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

That's been my guess for months, based on their huge development team (in Utah?) and hardly any manufacturing discussion. And all this talk of "revolutionizing" pinball technology. And now Stern is going Oculus Rift?
I hope I'm wrong.

Me too. But luckily there’s JJP still. And AP. I’m sure Stern will continue to make real pinball

#1469 5 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

a deeproot article will be posted tomorrow morning!

Define "morning".

#1470 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Define "morning".

I normally see postings by 7:30 am Central time

#1471 5 years ago

No way deeproot is making virtual pinball. Pinball FX doesn't have any pinball designers working for them and they crank out reasonable original tables. Also most of those older designers can barely work autocad, much less anything 3D. Do you think they are simply drawing up playfield layouts only for some 3d animator to translate it to digital?

#1472 5 years ago

"Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge%27s_Law_of_Headlines

#1473 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Also most of those older designers can barely work autocad, much less anything 3D.

I find it hard to believe the older designers can’t use 2D acad. it’s like never using a word processor...

And it’s not like someone couldn’t teach them 2D acad in a day.

#1474 5 years ago

Transparent displays cost the earth and are barely available. Ask again in 10 years.

#1476 5 years ago

Sounds like it's real pinball, and I'm surely hoping they got the Goonies license.

#1477 5 years ago

Great article. deeproot looks very promising. Can’t wait for TPF!

#1478 5 years ago

Was a great read. I wonder if the cabinet will have just a big LCD screen for the head.

#1479 5 years ago

Good read. Very happy to be wrong about it being VR pinball. 80's license they just got better be BTTF.

#1480 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Was a great read. I wonder if the cabinet will have just a big LCD screen for the head.

Like JJP? I mean that's the biggest regular size you can fit in horizontally.

#1481 5 years ago

I asked Robert how many Zidware customers had reached out to deeproot to file claims. He shared there weren’t as many as he would’ve liked, but he hoped more would be filing claims this month. (Note: The deadline to file claims is at the end of October – visit https://zidware.deeproottech.com to file a claim.)

Robert, I can only speak for myself but I've been uneasy to agree to anything when I've been "told" and not "shown". Especially when coming out of a situation where I was lied to for years. Once bitten twice shy. Regardless of not asking for more money, there is a wall of legal text to be agreed to.

I've been patiently waiting to see more. I wish your deadlines weren't imposed on a time frame where I can't be shown and only told what's going on. That's where I'm at.

#1482 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Like JJP? I mean that's the biggest regular size you can fit in horizontally.

I was thinking more along the lines of just a screen with a sound bar vs a more traditional head with LCD inside it.

#1483 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Good read. Very happy to be wrong about it being VR pinball. 80's license they just got better be BTTF.

i hope so too, or as JodyG says goonies.. but what if its big trouble in little china? might be a cheaper license.

#1484 5 years ago

Doubt they'll do Goonies or Big Trouble In Little China.

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

80's license they just got better be BTTF.

Nope...it's Deadly Spawn...

KS Header Variant Logo (resized).jpgKS Header Variant Logo (resized).jpg
#1486 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Nope...it's Deadly Spawn...
[quoted image]

AWESOME!!!!!!! Man that should happen.

#1487 5 years ago

Was this a hint to BTTF? Sure does sound like it! "Robert has a “nothing is impossible” attitude with his team, and at one point mentioned that they were trying to figure out a safe way to add sparks or smoke as a feature to one of the licensed themes."

#1488 5 years ago

Loved those exercise and jazzercise tapes in the 80's. Sweating to the oldies volume 3 rocked. Not sure I need a fancy pinball machine to deliver my exercise.

jazzercize2 (resized).jpgjazzercize2 (resized).jpg

jazzercize3 (resized).jpgjazzercize3 (resized).jpg
#1489 5 years ago

Damn, I'm already doing a retheme on my Hardbody. Someone needs to turn theirs into a Sweatin' to the Oldies.

#1490 5 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to do this great article. I'm going to Disney next month and I think I'm looking forward to TPF more!

Exciting times for pinball. Good luck to all involved and hope to see some great products in Texas.

#1491 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I was thinking more along the lines of just a screen with a sound bar vs a more traditional head with LCD inside it.

I hope not. I like to know what game is in my room before I turn it on.
And I like it to look good turned off sitting in my office.

Don't like the JJP solution, but at least there is a tiny Translite around the screen.

I like the Stern Solution best.
AP is great also.

#1492 5 years ago

The "never before seen mechs" and "Bally/ Williams style" part excites me.

Sterns a little barren. JJP overcompensates...
Would be nice to have a middleground with not only Houdini in it.

#1494 5 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

This sounds like great news, very exciting!

Think Tank plus No Manufacturing equals vaporware IMHO

#1495 5 years ago

Me again (but this time in front of a PC, so I can write my toughts down a little bit more elaborately).

I'm quite excited of what I read and thanks Jeff for reporting as much as you can, while still beeing secretive and sharing your passion, while still beeing objective.

We know now for sure that it will be pinball (well I never doubted that) and it will have innovative mechs/ Baly Williams Vibe (wich is something I really long for in a not totally overpriced game, and only Amercian Pinball does that at the moment).
I'm on the brink of being able to buy a NIB game again; allready picked it. But I am very tempted to wait what Deeproot has in stock for us next march.

I don't quite believe that all 5 games will be ready for sale in march, but I happily get proven wrong.

#1496 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Transparent displays cost the earth and are barely available. Ask again in 10 years.

I guess the slot machine guys are from another planet then?

#1497 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nope but machine retails for 20.000$, make a bit more than 1$ every 30 minutes and have a bit less of custom made parts in it than pinballs

#1498 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Anything with something remotely capable costs a ridiculous amount.

Also, good luck with having a large steel ball bearing smash into it. Furthermore, good luck with building a cab that that can accommodate pf 'glass' like this, that isn't terribly compromised and hideous.

Oh, and if you think pf glass is heavy and inconveniently messy when you drop it, best wishes with a display sandwiched between two layers of tempered glass. Then there's the connectivity and power supply.

Plus the whole playfield area would look noticeably dull and low contrast. Light transmittance I think is usually between 70-80%.

There is no chance of anything practically useful or economical at this juncture.

The reason for the ridiculous Heighway glass magazine was because Andrew started out wanting and initially claimed to be capable of delivering a transparent OLED pf glass. Not for narrow walkways between machines at home or in arcades to increase serviceability. That worked out well given how impractical, ugly, heavy and prone to causing glass breakage it proved to be.

#1499 5 years ago

iv seen store drink fridges with massive transparent lcd displays, look so cool. Not sure on price though :/

#1500 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

iv seen store drink fridges with massive transparent lcd displays, look so cool. Not sure on price though :/

I don't think they'd be suitable for fast moving graphics anyway. Pixel responsiveness is too low in transparent LCDs (at least the ones I know of). OLED is fine ... but unobtainium / low pixel life in large sizes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/30?hl=tim_may and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.