Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 286 of 672.
#14251 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you don't pony up for the pinpod, what happens if your game gets damaged during shipping? Will they replace it no hassle?

Of course they would. That’s standard warranty. If that happened then DR would be able to claim against the courier.

#14252 3 years ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

If that happened then DR would be able to claim against the courier.

Good to know. And if the courier won't pay, I would hope they have a good lawyer.

#14253 3 years ago

An hour into the mueller interview thus far. He's dialed back the ridiculous claims but there are still so many red flags of a company that doesn't know what it's doing.

#14254 3 years ago

Why on earth are they following RAZA with food truck and not a mainstream seller like Goonies or The Who?

Makes no fucking sense

#14255 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Why on earth are they following RAZA with food truck and not a mainstream seller like Goonies or The Who?
Makes no fucking sense

They probably don't have the licenses locked down. Can't really think of another reason.

#14256 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They probably don't have the licenses locked down. Can't really think of another reason.

Maybe...when they said The Who, that one surprised me but Goonies has been rumored for about 1.5-2 years now that license was acquired so it made sense. TPN podcast mentioned a specific game designer being assigned to it, figured it would be next only to find out later food truck next in line.

If the goal is to sell some machines to hopefully propel themselves to being legit, Goonies is the one they need to pump out and soon.

#14257 3 years ago

Food truck probably isn't the best choice for the next one but building up staff experience and build processes with a few smaller titles before taking on something like Goonies is probably a good idea.

#14258 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Food truck probably isn't the best choice for the next one but building up staff experience and build processes with a few smaller titles before taking on something like Goonies is probably a good idea.

You know licenses expire, right?

Does anybody in this thread understand that?

If Deep Root actually have The WHo and Goonies licenses, it seems like a strange decision to be wasting time putting out themes like Food Truck while their perishable licenses wither on the vine.

Pinball is hard. Licensing is hard. Reality is hard.

#14259 3 years ago

Come on guys. There are a lot of ways to make Food Truck exciting!

zzzzzzzzztenor.gifzzzzzzzzztenor.gif
#14260 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

"build processes with a few smaller titles"

Games cost huge amounts of money in time and resources to develop. That money is only recovered by selling that game. Things also cost more in small batches, so margin per pieces is worse.

One game is not profitable in itself. Selling 50-100 games isn't profitable... You only break even by selling a lot of a game, then you start making money.

So 'selling a few smaller titles' is exactly the opposite of what a pinball company wants to do... because that's the worst case scenario in terms of never recovering your up front investment for each title. You want fewer titles selling more. Why do you think JJP was so happy to keep building WoZ for so long? The development costs are already paid for! You're largely just dealing with overhead and CoGs.

It's true you don't want some overly ambitious game that can cost too much and maybe never finish (WoZ scenario...).. but the whole point of 'start small...' is to pickup speed and have safe margins. Multiple, less successful, titles isn't that.

If you were to build a Goonies and fail because of some inexperience... you try to fix it in place and keep going.

#14261 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Food truck probably isn't the best choice for the next one

So far, they haven't rumored anything better.

#14262 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So 'selling a few smaller titles' is exactly the opposite of what a pinball company wants to do

That´s what ruined Heighway Pinball. The clown Andrew Heighway started with Full Throttle to get a grip for the process. Full Throttle = Food Truck

Full Throttle was the reason the clown had to reveal Alien that early to get preorder money in. Nordman left soon after. Nordman left here as well. He left bc of Food Truck.

#14263 3 years ago

Imo this joke titles were planned as fillers for their 8 title opening like the Star wars comic edition. Now it seems they are standalones for any revenue. That will put a hole in the ship. Deeproot should throw these titles out. I think these titles never get produced its just for promo now. the license titles plus Jpop games are the only themes with punch + I think deeproot will release a Mueller title (not bc of punch).

#14264 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Makes no fucking sense

Let's just see some RAZA in arcades and homes first.. One title has not been maunfactured yet.

#14265 3 years ago

Daily reminder that what Dr spent "saving" the Zidware light boxes could have easily paid for the upfronts of 4-5 good licenses.

What a waste for a purple vomit remake of Cyclone that shoots like a wet turd in a clothes dryer.

#14266 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If Deep Root actually have The WHo and Goonies licenses

The collective memory of the "collector" must be pretty short.

Strong, strong Skit-B vibes from all this nonsense.

#14267 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Daily reminder that what Dr spent "saving" the Zidware light boxes could have easily paid for the upfronts of 4-5 good licenses.
What a waste for a purple vomit remake of Cyclone that shoots like a wet turd in a clothes dryer.

Haven't disagreed with a thing you've said in this thread to date, but I think you've covered the whole "Cyclone" point.

Quoted from benheck:

Stolen Ferris Wheel from Cyclone, in same location on PF even.

Quoted from benheck:

Python Angelo tribute carnival themed game

Quoted from benheck:

It's a Cyclone ferris wheel,

Quoted from benheck:

John just wanted to remake Cyclone

Quoted from benheck:

their launch game is still just John's self-indulgent remake of Cyclone

Quoted from benheck:

2) Cyclone wheel that takes ball nowhere.

Quoted from benheck:

but then of course there was a Dracula in Cyclone.

#14268 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Haven't disagreed with a thing you've said in this thread to date, but I think you've covered the whole "Cyclone" point.

Exactly. It’s also a tribute to Comet and Hurricane.

#14269 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Exactly. It’s also a tribute to Comet and Hurricane.

...and appears to be continuing the downward trend Hurricane started.

#14270 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

...and appears to be continuing the downward trend Hurricane started.

RAZA has THREE ferris wheels?!

THose crazy bastards finally did it!

#14271 3 years ago

I always believed in Deeproot.
Don't ask my why but my filosofische mind never is wrong.
When the first games are ready for sale the most negative people will shut up.
The game looks AWESOME.

RAZA-Ae-PF-1 (resized).jpgRAZA-Ae-PF-1 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201210_202826_com.android.chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201210_202826_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg
#14272 3 years ago

But does it have the token Downs Syndrome kid sitting in the back of a coaster?

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#14273 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

That´s what ruined Heighway Pinball. The clown Andrew Heighway started with Full Throttle to get a grip for the process. Full Throttle = Food Truck
Full Throttle was the reason the clown had to reveal Alien that early to get preorder money in. Nordman left soon after. Nordman left here as well. He left bc of Food Truck.

can't say I disagree with you... I don't know the rationale behind Andrew picked the motoGP over fighting for his dream theme. I think back then the hobby weren't as negative on non-licensed titles either and still romanticized for them. But clearly failed game sales and nothing to sell WHILE they developed alien dragged them down.

#14274 3 years ago

So what happens at the end of the year when Deeproot only receives orders for 100 RAZA games?? Ordering parts for only 100 games will spell big problems for the BOM. My prediction is JPOP gets fired in 2021 and Deeproot goes up for sale, then folds. Robert is using RAZA orders as a gauge on whether to cut his losses or try and raise more money.......it’s over Johnny!

#14275 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

No licensing means it will be cheaper to produce. I see value for the company in doing two non-licensed machines and getting their manufacturing process, distribution, sales, etc. kinks worked out before releasing the big titles. But I also think the argument about going big right out of the gate has some merit.

#14276 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

No licensing means it will be cheaper to produce. I see value for the company in doing two non-licensed machines and getting their manufacturing process, distribution, sales, etc. kinks worked out before releasing the big titles. But I also think the argument about going big right out of the gate has some merit.

Licensors won't let you make a pinball machine with their license until you have proven you can successfully manufacture and bring a pinball machine to market.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#14277 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Licensors won't let you make a pinball machine with their license until you have proven you can successfully manufacture and bring a pinball machine to market.

Huh? Dorothy and her dog would beg to differ

#14278 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

There were existing gaming relationships with that licensor.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#14279 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

If memory serves, Jack was working for Elaut at the time and they already had the WOZ license for the arcade machine they made. That probably had something to do with extending the license to the pinball machine.

#14280 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Aaron
FAST Pinball

Beat me to it.

#14281 3 years ago

Forget Food Truck for a moment. What is the logic behind announcing game #2 on the second day of launching game #1?

I thought Food Truck as game #2 might be a joke but Robert said it seriously, on a serious podcast and when a surprised Jonathan asked if they were getting an exclusive, Robert confirmed it.

#14282 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

They already had that license for a redemption game.

I really would like to see some evidence that deep root actually has The Who or Goonies locked up. This Food Truck nonsense does not instill confidence.

#14283 3 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

Quoted from fastpinball:

until you have proven you can successfully manufacture and bring a **pinball machine** to market.

Emphasis mine on your quote. My point still stands.

I acknowledge Jack already had that license for NON-pinball machines.

#14284 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The game looks AWESOME.
[quoted Image]

I learned from pinside that this game has no inserts.
Don't you see it?!?

- Yeah, me neither.

#14285 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

The game looks AWESOME.
[quoted image][quoted image]

No, they will continue to search out something to bitch about.

#14286 3 years ago

AP pretty much did the same thing. Started out with a failed JPOP project, followed by Oktoberfest, and then to a licensed theme.

#14287 3 years ago

So what is the realistic delivery eta assuming parts need to be produced in bulk and manufacturing needs to happen. End of next year?

#14288 3 years ago

I wanna see the guts of this thing, did they really do away with all wires?? Or will it just look like every other pin (hundreds of wires lol)

#14289 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I wanna see the guts of this thing, did they really do away with all wires?? Or will it just look like every other pin (hundreds of wires lol)

Watch the video. Looked like lots of wires.

#14290 3 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

So what is the realistic delivery eta assuming parts need to be produced in bulk and manufacturing needs to happen. End of next year?

Six weeks from yesterday according to their webpage and last nights podcast. Looks like January 20th, 2021 for Phase 1 deliveries.
**Someone please double check me on that.

Where's our countdown guy? .

zzzzzRAZA timeline (resized).pngzzzzzRAZA timeline (resized).png
#14291 3 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

The is no "realistic" eta, since order numbers are still unclear to DR, as well as a lot of other factors to us.

But communicated estimate is a production from the beginning of the next year around to up to the end of April, as stated by Robert Müller on Pinball Magazine Podcast.

#14292 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Emphasis mine on your quote. My point still stands.
I acknowledge Jack already had that license for NON-pinball machines.

Ok.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#14293 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Forget Food Truck for a moment. What is the logic behind announcing game #2 on the second day of launching game #1?

If they are announcing game #2, then getting game #1 out the door and into peoples hands is just a formality.

#14294 3 years ago

I’ve watched the video and the ball never seems to feed back to the left flipper - is there a diverter at the top of the curly ramp so you can choose where to send the ball?

#14295 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

So what happens at the end of the year when Deeproot only receives orders for 100 RAZA games?? Ordering parts for only 100 games will spell big problems for the BOM. My prediction is JPOP gets fired in 2021 and Deeproot goes up for sale, then folds. Robert is using RAZA orders as a gauge on whether to cut his losses or try and raise more money.......it’s over Johnny!

I just placed my order and it was number #100025

What's your order #?

#14296 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarson:

I just placed my order and it was number #100025
What's your order #?

So your no 25?

25 pre orders in 2 days....

#14297 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

So your no 25?
25 pre orders in 2 days....

Yep. I'm excited to be a beta tester. I played the game in Houston and gave my feedback tom Steve Bowden then, and look forward to giving feedback on the shipping version now. I am really looking forward to the pinbar, shot log, and the final product. This is really pushing the art of pinball forward.

#14298 3 years ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

As someone who only owns one machine (that's 26 years old) I'm not in the market for a NIB machine and not likely to be a DR customer. That said, I think DR have created an incredible platform, of course there's been a little bit of wheel re-inventing, but other bits look great. As a fan of 90s pinball machines I particularly like the widescreen DMD-like screen as opposed to the large ones that appear on Stern and JJP pins.
I think the thing for me that makes DR so interesting as a new manufacturer is NOT things like the PinBar, or the playfield lifting mech or the wraparound headbox etc. it's that the "game" is still the same across the three models. Whether you buy the basic Arcade edition or go for the Xtra X edition with all the bells & whistles... the actual ball-game experience is the same. Of course you get better "toys" or different "mechs", rumble motors and anti-glare glass but they don't directly interact with the ball so in theory they should play the same. In the podcast Mueller mentioned that while the Goonies XE has a unique centrepiece mech it doesn't actually interact with the ball so the gameplay should still be the same. This is a stark contrast to Stern in which the Pro often plays vastly different to the Prem/LE editions. This can result in a broken or disappointing experience, when you play a JP3 Pro isn't it immensely disappointing that Rexy doesn't munch that ball?
My only disappointment at the moment (other than the theme which doesn't really do too much for me, I'd be more into Goonies) is the base price. Yes, you get a lot of "bang for your buck" with the basic model but I was truly hoping the starting price would rival sterns "The Pin" series of home models. I thought that by bringing a base model to around $4,500 would really cement deeproot as the "go to" pinball manufacturer for home arcades. It would also force Stern to up their game as well. I like the options to bolt on the bits you like from the Xtra without having to invest in the whole hog, I just wish it started at $1000 less.

If I understand correctly, on the Xtra you have the Ned-toy that moves from side to side like the goalie in world cup soccer, and on the Arcade edition this toy is stationary.

#14299 3 years ago
Quoted from switch3:

If I understand correctly

You don't (and it would drastically change the game).

You have a target beneath the Ned toy.
The Target moves, side to side, on both Versions.

The Ned Toy ABOVE, shakes when you hit the target, on the Xtra Edition.

#14300 3 years ago

Listened to the first part of the interview I thought it was a good start

He made a point of monies coming in going into an “account” and not being used to buy parts or pay salaries.

It sounds like they have a big inventory of certain parts and others to order to get RAZA games built and out the door

I like the strategy of making as many games as ordered between now and the end of the year then move on to the next game

They could always come back to it later if it’s a big success

Oursler doing Food Truck next and sounds like it will be just the one Arcade version. Smart move with that title if it’s priced right

They have some excellent talent at DR.

I hope they can get some traction by getting games out the door and move on to the next phase

My concern is how the coding on a DR game develops. It needs to be plenty deep, like Lyman and Elwin team

Why go back to old Bally shallow code days? We pay too much for these games to get less in that department.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 286 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/286?hl=jarson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.