Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 285 of 672.
#14201 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I've been trying to tell people this for a couple of years now. We now have more pinball manufactures than at any other time in history. This aint your fathers pinball market any more.
Americas Most Haunted, 150 made. Rob Zombie, 300 made. Mafia, 10 made. Cosmic Carnival, way less than 100 made. Where are the prices on those rare games now?
Big Bang Bar set the benchmark for all others to compare too and the ride lasted for years. But it was a perfect storm in its day and that was back in 2007. Only Stern was around then. And even today, Big Bang Bar is well below its peak value but people still whisper about the next BBB.

Interesting comment.
I just listened to the interview and the fact is that we like Robert or not, he is handling his subject pretty well and knows where he is going. The fact that he is putting himself in front line like this is a risk, for sure, but he has some balls to do it. He is even involved in design, he is everywhere.
The fact that he said weired things in the past, and he is recognizing now, can be forgiven if he build a successfull company IMO.
Pinball is hard and they have build a first pin, I know it’s’not enough but let’s recognize it’s a good thing.
I personnaly would be really interested to see the new version of Magic Girl, one day maybe...

#14202 3 years ago

Nice to hear Oursler is working on Goonies.

#14203 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

[quoted image]
As Deeproot Pinball begins sales of their very first title, Retro Atomic Zombie Adventureland, Jonathan from Pinball Magazine and Martin from Pinball News interview Deeproot Pinball's Founder and Principal, Robert Mueller. This in-depth conversation covers all aspects of the company, their first game's development, the options available to buyers, downloadable content, how, when, and where it will be manufactured, news on future titles and so much more.
https://anchor.fm/pinball-industry-news/episodes/Bonus-PINcast-In-depth-interview-with-Robert-Mueller-of-Deeproot-Pinball-enjde8

I’m about 20 minutes in and this is a great interview already. Jonathan and Martin do a good job trying to hold Robert’s feet to the fire. My favorite part is when Robert is asked why they’re taking preorder money when they said they wouldn’t. He essentially answers that he said that a long time ago when he didn’t know what he was talking about. Words have consequences, buddy!

-Doug

#14204 3 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

Words have consequences, buddy!
-Doug

Stop hail Satan, visit a church, learn to forgive; especially when nothing bad was done despite trash talking, „buddy“.

#14205 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

LCD - nope
Wireless - nope
Game server - nope
Aftermarket speakers - nope
Additional lighting - nope

Goonies- nope

#14206 3 years ago

Liked this thread better when nothing going on!
Good Luck DeepRoot
No skin in this game.

#14207 3 years ago

I ordered mine today. Had an issue with the payment portal and submitted a ticket. Robert personally called me after his IT people brought it up to him. He was very kind and helpful. I appreciated the personal attention and wish them only the best.

#14208 3 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

I’m about 20 minutes in and this is a great interview already. Jonathan and Martin do a good job trying to hold Robert’s feet to the fire. My favorite part is when Robert is asked why they’re taking preorder money when they said they wouldn’t. He essentially answers that he said that a long time ago when he didn’t know what he was talking about. Words have consequences, buddy!
-Doug

“Words have consequences” —>Not with pinball companies!

I remember buying 1 of 500 limited run pinballs from Stern when Stern increased their “limited run” for money grab adding 100 more machines. (Of course other manufacturers have done the same.). The director of marketing pointed me to some fine print that they have the right to change this and other stuff.

From then on I trust none of these guys. Trust through verification, which is sad!

What I have found out is no matter which pinball company & whatever problems they have; they communicate for shit. Some much worse than others.

The worst point is because there are so many new pinball people to the hobby it is BUY, BUY, BUY...sight unseen. No matter what the issue is quality, delivery keep buying - not good for hobby in long run.

#14209 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

“Words have consequences” —>Not with pinball companies!
I remember buying 1 of 500 limited run pinballs from Stern when Stern increased their “limited run” for money grab adding 100 more machines. (Of course other manufacturers have done the same.). The director of marketing pointed me to some fine print that they have the right to change this and other stuff.
From then on I trust none of these guys. Trust through verification, which is sad!
What I have found out is no matter which pinball company & whatever problems they have; they communicate for shit. Some much worse than others.

True! People will throw money their way regardless of what some figureheads say, so at the end of the day it might not matter sales wise. It’s just cathartic to me when people get called out for not doing what they said they would do, especially when they’re so confident and arrogant about it.

We’re actually seeing more from deeproot now than we have in the last few years which, any way you slice it, is a good thing. Robert’s more candid attitude in the interview is refreshing.

-Doug

#14210 3 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

We’re actually seeing more from deeproot now than we have in the last few years which, any way you slice it, is a good thing.
-Doug

Because his investors want to see product go out the door so they can get out of the red

#14211 3 years ago

To me it’s nice to see an actual opportunity to order but to do it before I play it is tough.

I like the theme, looks good, the pinbar is unknown until you see it. Getting content on DLC is fine but I would to buy on demand not a subscription. But, who knows...

I just have to see it in person before I would drop money on it. But, who is seeing any new game now before buying it.

Where is anyone seeing / playing games in public. That is why his pre-order time frame seems strange. I may be a buyer in the future so we will see if an arcade edition will be available months from now.

#14212 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Did they mention the title by name? Or only refer to it as "80's movie license"?

#14213 3 years ago

I’m giving DR and Robert a pass on the history of dick dom. Time to turn the corner.

F it. Look forward

More pinball. More jobs. More better!

I’m in pinball for the fun experience.

And I’m happy to see Raza come together after 8 yrs, good or bad, onward and upward

#14214 3 years ago

Iceman's down with TPOE! (and apparently a 12-pack)

#14215 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

good or bad, onward and upward

I’ll drink to that.

#14216 3 years ago

While these innovative and paradigm-shifting products are all speaking for themselves maybe this one can tell us how wide it is? Looks like 35 inches or more.

Lots of doorways are gonna take issue with this thing.

8C130483-6569-45A6-914C-A500946B07B4 (resized).jpeg8C130483-6569-45A6-914C-A500946B07B4 (resized).jpeg

#14217 3 years ago

This game looks super cool! Definitely interested in seeing how it's received before I decide to plop a deposit down

#14218 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Did they mention the title by name? Or only refer to it as "80's movie license"?

Mueller called it by name, multiple times. It is Goonies. Cut to around 1:01.00 into the interview.

Interview is great so far, other than Jonathan/Martin dicking with the microphone(s) over and over.

#14219 3 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

The horses so far:
1. Deeproot delivers a pinball machine
2. Alien redesigned and released by CGC
3. Stern 30th Anniversary book delivered by Paperflock
4. The Big Lebowski machines delivered to early adopters
5. Stern releases new code for Ghostbusters
...did I miss any?

1 year ago from Rondogg, interesting to see the list and what has transpired as of late.

#14220 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Not terribly familiar with his games. What are his most popular ones?

#14221 3 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Mueller called it by name, multiple times. It is Goonies. Cut to around 1:01.00 into the interview.

Cool, thanks - appreciate the timestamp and confirmation!

#14222 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Doctor Who, Dirty Harry, and Junkyard come to mind.

#14223 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Did cosmic carnival skyrocket in value?
or Thunderbirds?
How many people were really willing to pay up for a magic girl just to say they have one?
People want Alien and TBL because they want the game... not because they are a rarity.
Rare alone doesn't make market value or desirability.

So you already know the game plays terrible and nobody will want one? Games like Alien and JJPPOTC became collectible once more people had a chance to play one. Demand was not enough initially because of different issues. Just saying same could happen here if RAZA is any fun to play.

#14224 3 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Interview is great so far, other than Jonathan/Martin dicking with the microphone(s) over and over.

That's huge that they've acquired this popular 1980s film license. Surprised it's not all over their web site, I'd definitely be making a big deal out of it!

#14225 3 years ago

Also.....*spoiler*..........Pinside's favorite DR theme is next after RAZA......

Food Truck time!

#14226 3 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Food Truck time!

That ought to be good for a few dozen sales.

#14227 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m giving DR and Robert a pass on the history of dick dom. Time to turn the corner.

Nicely said...
Great attitude , thread looking up!

#14228 3 years ago

Are the 6 peeps who visited Deeproot buying this game? That should be a clue

#14229 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/barry-oursler

#14230 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I just hope they send me one so everyone has a chance to see it and play it. Inside and out.
LTG : )

They’d be stupid not to.

#14231 3 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Also.....*spoiler*..........Pinside's favorite DR theme is next after RAZA......
Food Truck time!

I thought you were joking when you posted that but I just now finished the podcast. - Wow

#14232 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I thought you were joking when you posted that but I just now finished the podcast. Wow

It's almost as if they don't actually have signed contracts on the alleged licensed games, which would doubtlessly sell better.

Unless you think Food Truck is gonna shift units to more buyers than The Who and Goonies.

I mean besides Odin.

#14233 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So you already know the game plays terrible and nobody will want one? Games like Alien and JJPPOTC became collectible once more people had a chance to play one. Demand was not enough initially because of different issues. Just saying same could happen here if RAZA is any fun to play.

You said they were similar circumstances and highlighted the low availability -- Your emphasis was there. I simply pointed out that availability is not the driving factor - It's the game. Same reason both titles had hundreds of people ready to throw money at the game before they even touched it.

There is no denying that RAZA has not generated that same 'blind faith' appeal except in a much smaller cluster of fans.

#14234 3 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I bought one this morning, so I guess we'll see what happens. Looks like I was order #12 at about 7:00am CST

NashtyFunk Which one did you buy? The XTRA or Arcade version?

#14235 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

They’d be stupid not to.

I must have misunderstood your down vote.

#14236 3 years ago

Episode 292 of Pinball Profile. deeproot Pinball panel discussion on RAZA

https://www.pinballprofile.com/episode-292-deeproot-pinball-panel-discussion-on-raza/

Robert Mueller, Quinn Johnson and Steven Bowden talk about RAZA, the new deeproot website, the Pinbar, Pin Access, downloadable content, recent changes and delays, and most importantly when you can get your machine.

deeproot team (resized).jpgdeeproot team (resized).jpgpinball profile (resized).jpgpinball profile (resized).jpg
#14237 3 years ago

I've not been around much recently due to health reasons , and while I would love to be able to read through the 100+ pages since March, I read the past few

So, the promise to bring an innovative product to market cheaper than stern without taking pre-order money was......bs

I live 35mins from the factory, wasn't allowed to the factory tour/press release, and after being approached about employment never offered anything

Today I went to the site, and to see stern pro pricing for the "arcade " model, and stern LE pricing on the upscale

My support is there in the sense I hope they make it, however I'm OUT on Deeproot as my first NIB,

Some may downvote me for saying this, but I'm really disappointed they became the SELLOUTS they hate

#14238 3 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

other than Jonathan/Martin dicking with the microphone(s) over and over.

Sorry about that. It's probably my headset. I will look out for a USB microphone. That should solve that problem.

#14239 3 years ago
Quoted from dc2010:

I've not been around much recently due to health reasons , and while I would love to be able to read through the 100+ pages since March, I read the past few
So, the promise to bring an innovative product to market cheaper than stern without taking pre-order money was......bs
I live 35mins from the factory, wasn't allowed to the factory tour/press release, and after being approached about employment never offered anything
Today I went to the site, and to see stern pro pricing for the "arcade " model, and stern LE pricing on the upscale
My support is there in the sense I hope they make it, however I'm OUT on Deeproot as my first NIB,
Some may downvote me for saying this, but I'm really disappointed they became the SELLOUTS they hate

I forgot about deeproot for a while, then I read some of these updates and it just feels like they want to nickel and dime you for everything. I don't know if the game is any good, but it certainly feels like the company burned out all its goodwill before launch.

#14240 3 years ago

Listened to the podcast and there were 6 important takeaways which will prevent me from buying this game or any other game from Deeproot......

1.RAZA is no more than a really expensive Home brew game with 3 people trying really hard to convince us their innovation mattered.

2. DeepRoot has no idea what their real BOM is.

3. DeepRoot has no idea how they will manufacture these games.

4. Steve Bowden comes from another planet.

5. This company is out of money and there is no way it survives.

6. Jeff T. was by far the most intelligent individual participating in that interview.

#14241 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I must have misunderstood your down vote.

Sorry! Didn’t realize I did that

#14242 3 years ago

As someone who only owns one machine (that's 26 years old) I'm not in the market for a NIB machine and not likely to be a DR customer. That said, I think DR have created an incredible platform, of course there's been a little bit of wheel re-inventing, but other bits look great. As a fan of 90s pinball machines I particularly like the widescreen DMD-like screen as opposed to the large ones that appear on Stern and JJP pins.

I think the thing for me that makes DR so interesting as a new manufacturer is NOT things like the PinBar, or the playfield lifting mech or the wraparound headbox etc. it's that the "game" is still the same across the three models. Whether you buy the basic Arcade edition or go for the Xtra X edition with all the bells & whistles... the actual ball-game experience is the same. Of course you get better "toys" or different "mechs", rumble motors and anti-glare glass but they don't directly interact with the ball so in theory they should play the same. In the podcast Mueller mentioned that while the Goonies XE has a unique centrepiece mech it doesn't actually interact with the ball so the gameplay should still be the same. This is a stark contrast to Stern in which the Pro often plays vastly different to the Prem/LE editions. This can result in a broken or disappointing experience, when you play a JP3 Pro isn't it immensely disappointing that Rexy doesn't munch that ball?

My only disappointment at the moment (other than the theme which doesn't really do too much for me, I'd be more into Goonies) is the base price. Yes, you get a lot of "bang for your buck" with the basic model but I was truly hoping the starting price would rival sterns "The Pin" series of home models. I thought that by bringing a base model to around $4,500 would really cement deeproot as the "go to" pinball manufacturer for home arcades. It would also force Stern to up their game as well. I like the options to bolt on the bits you like from the Xtra without having to invest in the whole hog, I just wish it started at $1000 less.

#14243 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

Are the 6 peeps who visited Deeproot buying this game? That should be a clue

I am not. But I have never purchased a NIB pin.

#14244 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Sorry about that. It's probably my headset. I will look out for a USB microphone. That should solve that problem.

Nah, no reason to be sorry. Just me being a jerk, I should be the one apologizing, as the interview was really great. Thanks for getting Robert to talk for 2 hours, and especially getting the Goonies confirmation!

#14245 3 years ago
No Idea (resized).jpgNo Idea (resized).jpg
#14246 3 years ago
Quoted from Mercifull:

As someone who only owns one machine (that's 26 years old) I'm not in the market for a NIB machine and not likely to be a DR customer. That said, I think DR have created an incredible platform, of course there's been a little bit of wheel re-inventing, but other bits look great. As a fan of 90s pinball machines I particularly like the widescreen DMD-like screen as opposed to the large ones that appear on Stern and JJP pins.
I think the thing for me that makes DR so interesting as a new manufacturer is NOT things like the PinBar, or the playfield lifting mech or the wraparound headbox etc. it's that the "game" is still the same across the three models. Whether you buy the basic Arcade edition or go for the Xtra X edition with all the bells & whistles... the actual ball-game experience is the same. Of course you get better "toys" or different "mechs", rumble motors and anti-glare glass but they don't directly interact with the ball so in theory they should play the same. In the podcast Mueller mentioned that while the Goonies XE has a unique centrepiece mech it doesn't actually interact with the ball so the gameplay should still be the same. This is a stark contrast to Stern in which the Pro often plays vastly different to the Prem/LE editions. This can result in a broken or disappointing experience, when you play a JP3 Pro isn't it immensely disappointing that Rexy doesn't munch that ball?
My only disappointment at the moment (other than the theme which doesn't really do too much for me, I'd be more into Goonies) is the base price. Yes, you get a lot of "bang for your buck" with the basic model but I was truly hoping the starting price would rival sterns "The Pin" series of home models. I thought that by bringing a base model to around $4,500 would really cement deeproot as the "go to" pinball manufacturer for home arcades. It would also force Stern to up their game as well. I like the options to bolt on the bits you like from the Xtra without having to invest in the whole hog, I just wish it started at $1000 less.

OK well I mean Spooky and american pinball do the same thing, and you already know for a fact you can rely on them to produce games

#14247 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sorry! Didn’t realize I did that

No problem. I thought it was kind of funny.

#14248 3 years ago
Quoted from Aqua1122:

nashtyfunk Which one did you buy? The XTRA or Arcade version?

I bought the extra edition

#14249 3 years ago

Deeproot would have owned me had they been able to fulfill their playfield promises. Imagine the shot across the bow of all competitors had they succeeded. Jonathan and Martin did well in asking the playfield question but the answer was nothing like I had hoped for.

It’s regrettable they set expectations so high.

#14250 3 years ago

If you don't pony up for the pinpod, what happens if your game gets damaged during shipping? Will they replace it no hassle?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 285 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/285?hl=dergoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.