• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 262 of 669.
#13051 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Reads like a vertical slice from a pitch deck explaning the PinBar™
It's some sample gameplay, narration/dialogue, and explaining how the PinBar™ could be used to combine story telling and game play.
It's very video gamey

It's awful. Here's how you do a shop:

Simple.

#13052 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

So the game comes to a screeching halt whenever they want you to use the PinBar. As I expected.
Also that dialog is terrible. Seriously it's like a 3rd grader wrote it.

I'll be SHOCKED (and very disappointed) if even a fraction of that dialog is in the game. Aren't they creating a parallel graphic novel or something stupid? I think this dialog is just the playout of the story, not something taken verbatim from the game.

Regarding the break in action, games that give you an either/or choice or the opportunity to "buy" something have always brought the game to a "screeching halt" as you call it. Stargate has Trade Quartz, TOTAN has that choice from the Bazaar, and many other examples across tons of really good games. Hell, every game that has a Mystery award takes the same amount of down time for dramatic effect. The fact they're putting the choice on the Pinbar doesn't make it any worse than making choices with the flipper buttons, which we've been doing for many years. Now, if you need to listen to a bunch of BS dialog leading up to that choice, then we have the problem you're talking about (which would be exasperated if the dialog sucks, as you point out).

I'm not campaigning for the Pinbar, but let's only cast shade where it's warranted.

#13053 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's awful. Here's how you do a shop:

Simple.

Cuphead...great example. Damn that game's HARD!

#13054 3 years ago

Yeah, I didn't say it was good

It's definitely long winded for what it is. Maybe this is the tutorial phase for a pinball game that is less traditional and more rogue-like. So maybe once a player profile is has seen all the introductory cutscenes, it transitions into something quicker

Speaking of, I've been playing a lot of Hades lately. I wish SuperGiant wrote pinball game dialogue. Every run has unique story elements and builds upon the overall narrative. Of course they'll never sell enough pinball machines to justify recording over 20,000 lines of dialogue

#13055 3 years ago

For the sake of the Goodwill people I'm really trying not to become jaded about this project. But instead of a teaser, this new tidbit only adds more confusion for me and lessens my interest.

#13056 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I'll be SHOCKED (and very disappointed) if even a fraction of that dialog is in the game. Aren't they creating a parallel graphic novel or something stupid? I think this dialog is just the playout of the story, not something taken verbatim from the game.
Regarding the break in action, games that give you an either/or choice or the opportunity to "buy" something have always brought the game to a "screeching halt" as you call it. Stargate has Trade Quartz, TOTAN has that choice from the Bazaar, and many other examples across tons of really good games. Hell, every game that has a Mystery award takes the same amount of down time for dramatic effect. The fact they're putting the choice on the Pinbar doesn't make it any worse than making choices with the flipper buttons, which we've been doing for many years. Now, if you need to listen to a bunch of BS dialog leading up to that choice, then we have the problem you're talking about (which would be exasperated if the dialog sucks, as you point out).
I'm not campaigning for the Pinbar, but let's only cast shade where it's warranted.

Its warranted. All shade, all day.

#13057 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Its warranted. All shade, all day.

"Our insults will blot out the sun!"

"Then we will noodle in the shade"

#13058 3 years ago

as ben can attest, AMH suffered a bit from dialogue that was too long in parts where you would have a lot of overlap because of how fast pinball can move along. the only way to prevent this is forcing the player to stop and focus on the menu choices which i think most players dont want. they wanna flip pinball, not play an RPG.

#13059 3 years ago

Could this be the longest topic about a game without any produced game?

#13060 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

That's just not true though. The world of venture backed businesses seems to go clear over a lot of people's heads here.
The goal for any VC backed startup is NOT profit!! In fact if you were profitable, your investors would be pissed. That means you are not growing fast enough.
The goal for VC backed startups is growth, and to dominate a category (like pinball). Look at Uber, Amazon or thousands of others as an example. Uber is still not profitable and they are a publically traded company. But guess what!?? All of the early investors and employees made a shit load of money. That's the game. Robert pitched this business model the same way that a technology startup would have.
I am not saying that I think deeproot is on the right track ( I believe that they will fail), I just get tired of seeing people talk about how they are not making a profit as if that was their current goal, or their investor's goal. IT'S NOT! The goal is growth (and yes, deeproot is failing at this with not delivering a single game). If this goes over your head, do some research into how VC backed startups operate. I'll say it again, profit is not a goal at this stage!! Growth first. Profit comes later.

Correct. This is what is just so bizarre with this group. From a manufacturing perspective total disaster because they have nobody competent heading the entire venture. If they did it wouldn’t be 5 years later and no pin. But even from a venture play it’s a total disaster. What competent startup publishes the big reveal only then to have 5 people very publicly come in and tell them it’s all unpolished crap ? You bring those people in BEFORE you announce the big reveal. I mean forget what all of us think about what they are doing, doesn’t matter. But their investors are probably making lots of angry phone calls right now. Robert works for them and if he doesn’t deliver I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets tossed out and JPOP gets put out to pasture too. The problem with this group as a large funded venture effort is they had to knock it out of the park and introduce whole new Pinball concepts while everyone else played catch-up. Appears they failed on all counts. With most venture funded efforts you know it’s pie in the sky claims and you hope the company you invest in finds a workable business model. With these guys you can’t have a business model if you don’t even have a product to sell. It must be a very grim and stressful time inside there. I do wish them the best. You hate to see money flushed, careers wasted, and the emergence of a new company fail. But short of some Hail Mary pass I don’t see how they pull this one off before investors cash out and ask them to refund the remaining balance.

#13061 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Yes... At this point can we change the Thread title to...

“Train Wreck”

Maybe sometime in the future we can change it back, but I doubt it.

#13062 3 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

But their investors are probably making lots of angry phone calls right now.

You're probably overestimating how actively involved some of the investors are and how closely they're monitoring aspects of the business (especially if it's just a smaller portion of a greater investment vehicle). Any investors who were paying attention probably bounced years ago.

#13063 3 years ago

All they had to do was deliver a mediocre J-Pop game in a WPC cabinet with P-ROC boards and watch the suckers line up to pay $7k+ for it.

#13064 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Please stop Haiku now
Please
Boobs

Ted hangs with celebs.
Really doesn't like Haikus.
We are just so bored.

#13065 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Yes... At this point can we change the Thread title to...
“Train Wreck”
Maybe sometime in the future we can change it back, but I doubt it.

"Train Wreck" unfortunately didn't make it into the pitch deck

trainwreck (resized).pngtrainwreck (resized).png
#13066 3 years ago

My life was empty
Craved pointless innovation
Pinbar completes me

#13067 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

I havent been around forever, but in the 6 years I have been here. Yes, by far.

#13068 3 years ago

Combine it with the original zidware RAZA thread, and how can anything come close.

#13069 3 years ago

Nope, we're sticking with the Food Truck theme.

z5c6c6e569897b.image (resized).jpgz5c6c6e569897b.image (resized).jpg
#13070 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

"Train Wreck" unfortunately didn't make it into the pitch deck
[quoted image]

Yeah.... but somehow the Old Testament did

Brilliant - bible verse callouts.

#13071 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Yeah.... but somehow the Old Testament did
Brilliant - bible verse callouts.

If only they made it a few more pages...

Imagine a nail bash toy to start crucifix multiball, some sort of ball lock with a rolling boulder in front, and just think of the potential ball save mech!

(As an aside it bothered me more than it should when the RAZA shop keeper misuses the rule of three in that needlessly complicated cutscene to explain an item shop.)

#13072 3 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Can someone please explain what these words on this DR marketing page mean?
[quoted image]
BACK AT “THE ATOMIC SHOP” …
The Mechanic continues his spiel about his shop and is preparing to introduce another item that he thinks The Player would want to buy. The Player takes a look at the rest of the Adventureland area and has realized something very peculiar… even more peculiar than the events that have happened already. Nothing that is outside of the Atomic Shop is moving, at least nothing that The Player can see at the moment.
As The Player begins to take a step outside of the Atomic Shop, everything slowly starts to move again, including the park patrons attempting to run away, the zombies, and the invaders! Quickly, The Player steps back inside where they were before, and instantly, everything else stops moving again.
THE PLAYER
If I escape here alive, I will not be able to explain ANY of this to ANYONE! Especially what I just witnessed right now!
THE MECHANIC
What? What do you mean? Why did you walk away just now while I was enlightening you with some important information? And then you just stepped back in here … May I continue my pitch now?
The Player realizes that The Mechanic may not know about this whole time-stopping, freezing thing that just happened. Maybe they have time-stopping powers now? Or, possibly this is just part of the giant hallucination they’ve been having. Regardless, The Player is keeping what they just experienced to themselves for now.
THE MECHANIC
OK, here is the next, super fantastic item for you to buy!
This item will increase The Player’s Bonus multiplier by 2.
When the Player has selected this item with the Pinbar, it will look like this.
THE MECHANIC
This one does twice what the first item did, but it will cost you only 15 tickets, not 20. Isn’t that a great bargain?!
THE PLAYER
Now wait a minute! Is there going to be another one that says 3X Bonus?!
THE MECHANIC
Well … maaaaaaaybe.
THE PLAYER
And then another one for 4X Bonus?!
THE MECHANIC
ABSOLUTELY NOT!
THE PLAYER
Why not?!
THE MECHANIC
Haven’t you heard of the “rule of three”?
THE PLAYER
RULE OF –WHAT?! OK, wait, hold on a second. I have to ask you the classic, gaming shopkeeper question, so forgive me if you’ve heard this one before, but this question is EXTREMELY relevant right now. If you don’t like NED, and you don’t want him to take over, why not just give me these items for free?
THE MECHANIC
No, I said that I don’t care who wins. I’m playing both sides of this invasion, but at least I’m being honest to you about that … as far as you know. Anyway, I’ve seen that tickets are a valuable form of currency in this world. People buy things with them. I saw that you have a lot of them, and I’ll bet you know ways to get more.
THE PLAYER (thinking to themselves)
(Well, I am pretty good at getting tickets.)
THE MECHANIC
I want those tickets so I can spend them on whatever else is here on this planet. But, I’d rather not do whatever work it must take to get them, and I don’t want to blow my cover. So you go get more tickets and bring them here. I’ll sell you things that will help you stop the invasion without letting anyone know I’m helping you. NED has no idea at all that my Atomic Shop exists. If he happens to win this battle, I’ll totally betray you and deny everything … probably.
THE PLAYER
I clearly have no reason to trust you at all, but what else do you have? Hopefully, you’ve got a weapon here somewhere.
Little did The Player know that a weapon is available. But it’s a weapon that functions in a decidedly different way.
*Note: Atomic Shop item prices are subject to change.

I think the term boondoggle is most fitting here. Haggis Pinball started after them with a whole lot less money and people and still got a machine out before they did.

#13073 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Yes... At this point can we change the Thread title to... train wreck

Is train wreck the prequel to food truck

#13074 3 years ago

This thread is hilarious !! Over 13k posts from people that claim they don’t give a shit .That being said I would definitly stop sending out pages of the script before the movie comes out .

#13075 3 years ago

I'm just waiting for the Limericks!

#13076 3 years ago
Quoted from TM462:

I'm just waiting for the Limericks

Oh god no ... please !

#13077 3 years ago

A man doth start Deeproot
Into pinball he poot his foot
After delays
Of many days
We'll soon see what Deeproots aboot

LTG : )

#13078 3 years ago
Quoted from TM462:

There once was a man from the south
Adept at running his mouth
Five days, then five years
His funds disappeared
Even deep roots dry up in a drought

#13079 3 years ago

There’s nothing really left to say
About deeproot’s endless delay
no production lines
Just bad jokes and rhymes
I couldn’t afford one anyway

#13080 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

His funds disappeared

That is shockingly good!

#13081 3 years ago

Seven days of DeepRoot will never come
They went and hired that J pop bum
Root brags and drags
No games in the bag
I doubt they'll ever be done

#13082 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

His funds disappeared

You sir win the internet today. Well done !

#13083 3 years ago

Haggis Pinball beat Deeproot with their playfield hammer test and now they've done it again with their innovative lockdown bar:

https://www.facebook.com/melbournesilverball/videos/1272306136482760

#13085 3 years ago

Thank you, Gents! Was not disappointed!

#13086 3 years ago
Quoted from TM462:

Well, I did hear that Robert was born in Nantucket...

#13087 3 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Well, I did hear that Robert was born in Nantucket...

If that be true then I am envious of his appendage LOL

#13088 3 years ago

When you lay down with dogs you rise up with fleas
Why hire John Popaduik he's such a disease
Though to his credit he's done something right
Taking millions off rich men with boxes of light
I can't wait for deeproot to leave

#13089 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Are you saying you hope deeproot fails?

#13090 3 years ago

Cuphead would make an excellent pin.

#13091 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Cuphead would make an excellent pin.

Just in case you haven't seen this.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cuphead-home-brew-pinball

#13092 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

When you lay down with dogs you rise up with fleas
Why hire John Popaduik he's such a disease
Though to his credit he's done something right
Taking millions off rich men with boxes of light

You made you point, kinda lika thousand times allready.

There‘s still people eager to accomplish something (like Steve Bowdens blogging you shit all over), people that still have hope they get their games and investors that better not loose all their money.

Hoping for DR to fail and all these other people with them is not exactly a sign of good sportsmenship, to put it kindly.

#13093 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You made you point, kinda lika thousand times allready.
There‘s still people eager to accomplish something (like Steve Bowdens blogging you shit all over), people that still have hope they get their games and investors that better not loose all their money.
Hoping for DR to fail and all these other people with them is not exactly a sign of good sportsmenship, to put it kindly.

Mueller been “shitting all over” everybody else in the industry for years, wishing all the other companies failure and claiming they’d stomp Stern into the dirt.

Zero sympathy. Nothing wrong with hoping deep root fails. Ultimately, They’ve been bad for the Hobby and the industry and we will be better off as a whole once this sideshow leaves town.

It’s like wishing the three card Monte table in town square fails, or the pyramid scheme knife salesman guy in town finally runs out of “investors” and closes up shop. It’s not a pinball company, it’s a town nuisance.

You guys love playing the Bowden sympathy card but this isn’t about him, it’s about deep root and especially the obnoxious rich con man in charge. Not sure if you noticed but we are saying goodbye to those types lately.

#13094 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

If only they made it a few more pages...
Imagine a nail bash toy to start crucifix multiball, some sort of ball lock with a rolling boulder in front, and just think of the potential ball save mech!
(As an aside it bothered me more than it should when the RAZA shop keeper misuses the rule of three in that needlessly complicated cutscene to explain an item shop.)

You're thinking of the wrong Testament. That's New not Old

#13095 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Mueller been “shitting all over” everybody else in the industry for years, wishing all the other companies failure and claiming they’d stomp Stern into the dirt.
Zero sympathy. Nothing wrong with hoping deep root fails. Ultimately, They’ve been bad for the Hobby and the industry and we will be better off as a whole once this sideshow leaves town.
It’s like wishing the three card Monte table in town square fails, or the pyramid scheme knife salesman guy in town finally runs out of “investors” and closes up shop. It’s not a pinball company, it’s a town nuisance.
You guys love playing the Bowden sympathy card but this isn’t about him, it’s about deep root and especially the obnoxious rich con man in charge. Not sure if you noticed but we are saying goodbye to those types lately.

Seemingly replaced by even more corrupt, but quiet con men!

#13096 3 years ago

Any criticisms made from myself on this thread (and I’m sure some others) have been made in the spirit of...

“this is simply not the way to go about being successful so please, please adjust course. For the love of pinball, please”.

There is very little gained by having DR fail, perhaps a few people can gloat and a few lessons are learned but that’s all. My hope is that DR can learn these lessons without the ultimate failure part and eventually become an active part of the pinball market pumping out great games.

Despite all the madness and self-mutilation, DR could still pull this off. Nothing is impossible and I wish them the best of luck at this point.

#13097 3 years ago

Die Deep Roots! DIE!

PXL_20201107_203125676 (resized).jpgPXL_20201107_203125676 (resized).jpg
#13098 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Seemingly replaced by even more corrupt, but quiet con men!

Don't you mean more corrupt, but mumbling and senile con men?

#13099 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Die Deep Roots! DIE!
[quoted image]

Keep digging you'll be vine!

#13100 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Die Deep Roots! DIE!

Damn... I know you got burned too but that's pretty wicked.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 262 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/262 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.