Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 672.
#1151 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Penn and Teller are the best!

Unsure why Penn and Teller wouldn't be lumped together nor why one has a better ranking? Haven't they performed together for years?

#1152 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Copperfield blows compared to Penn and Teller. Copperfield's show in Vegas was lame when i saw it.

But if you are hot and willing, you may get a chance to visit his private island. Penn and Teller are cool because they are so fan friendly. I don't need to see the show again, but it was fine for what it was.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Copperfield blows compared to Penn and Teller. Copperfield's show in Vegas was lame when i saw it.

True story and especially relevant given your location. A number of years ago, my parents lived near Charleston and saw David Copperfield was going to be performing. They bought tickets because my mother was a huge fan of Charles Dickens.

Needless to say, they were disappointed

(I can picture my parents sitting there as the show starts thinking 'what in the hell is this?')

#1154 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Copperfield blows compared to Penn and Teller

I've seen Penn & Teller twice. Both times the shows were outstanding, and they always stay after the show in the hallway to sign autographs, take photos, no matter how many people are waiting. What I love about them is that they know magic isn't real, and every show they usually show how one of them is done with clear boxes, and you can choose to see how the meat is made, or close your eyes and keep believing. As far as tricks I don't think you can really top them, they've read every magic book and have seen every kind of magic trick. It's why they have that show BS!, most people can't fool them, but on rare occasion someone does. I've loved those two ever since they first showed up on letterman in 80s, hanging upside down in front of the camera so that objects floated in mid-air. Also it's amazing for any pair of performers to get along for 4 decades without getting in some sort of fight. If someone made a P&T pin I'd be all over it.

#1156 5 years ago

I think magic pins need to be the next 80’s-90’s rock pin fad. Let’s add Thurston to the mix.

#1157 5 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I read reviews that for the past few years he's just been going through the motions. Every once in awhile people catch him on a good night, but most of the time the show is lacking any energy.

I saw him around 15 years ago. He was doing his "I can fly" trick at that point.

It was 30 minutes of him droning on about how he had a dream when he was a child about flying, blah blah, for one trick. No thanks.

The blue man group would make a better pinball machine than a Copperfield pin. The Blue Man group was an amazing show.

#1158 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I saw him around 15 years ago. He was doing his "I can fly" trick at that point.
It was 30 minutes of him droning on about how he had a dream when he was a child about flying, blah blah, for one trick. No thanks.
The blue man group would make a better pinball machine than a Copperfield pin. The Blue Man group was an amazing show.

89B9F19A-750B-4C57-80F8-6A1756DC7B73 (resized).png89B9F19A-750B-4C57-80F8-6A1756DC7B73 (resized).png
#1159 5 years ago

* Unfavorable - Pre-conceived notions about pinball development, or work with another pinball manufacturer

But they hired JPOP ????????????????

#1160 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It’s called patter.

#1161 5 years ago

Anybody think DR should contract with Ben Heck to work with JPOP to redesign Houdini into Ben Heck's Hallucinogenic Lab Trip? It would be a hard sell to get Ben onboard given the impossible assignment. But if they worked together and brought back the same art style .... Wowza!

#1162 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Anybody think DR should contract with Ben Heck to work with JPOP to redesign Houdini into Ben Heck's Haeluecenogenic Lab Trips? It would be a hard sell to get Ben onboard given the impossible assignment. But if they worked together and brought back the same art style .... Wowza!

that would be like asking a holocaust survivor if they would like to donate to the hitler foundation

#1163 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Unsure why Penn and Teller wouldn't be lumped together nor why one has a better ranking? Haven't they performed together for years?

Of the two Teller is the more serious magician, they don't have the same skill sets. Not to say Penn isn't talented, because he is.

#1164 5 years ago

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble, but we have way too many amazing projects to worry about. Houdini or anything like it, is not amongst those.

—Robert / dT

#1165 5 years ago

Finally, some news out of deeproot!

#1166 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble, but we have way too many amazing projects to worry about. Houdini or anything like it, is not amongst those.
—Robert / dT

Deep Root will be a dominant force. I have faith.

#1167 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

—Robert / dT

Hold on cowboy, it’s not “everyone’s bubble” we’re talking about. Just an unsubstantiated rumor, and the rumor mill fires get stoked when there’s a lack of information out there. Totally understandable for DR, but I doubt a lot of pinsiders are waiting on pins and needles for the next JPop tidbit to come out.

#1168 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

.. but I doubt a lot of pinsiders are waiting on pins and needles for the next JPop tidbit to come out.

Not pins and needles but yeah, I want to know.

#1169 5 years ago

Did deeproot ever mention how they were going to be making their playfields or out of what material? I remember the hammer test statements so assume their playfields won’t be made out of wood?

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Did deeproot ever mention how they were going to be making their playfields or out of what material? I remember the hammer test statements so assume their playfields won’t be made out of wood?

After extensive testing, it was determined that the playfield would be made out of old hammers.

#1171 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I believe that will be revealed day 5 at TPF. Only 8 months away now!!

#1172 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I remember that comment and that's why I found it strange when (Robert on latest podcast) mentioned levitating balls on Magic Girl could dimple the playfield. If a sledgehammer won't dimple it, then why would a pinball from a few inches high?

From memory in 2014 he started downloading virtual pinball on his phone, after this he purchased his first pinball. I'm still thinking it will be more lcd screen than playfield as it sounds like his passion is more virtual pinball than the real deal.

#1173 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think the Hollywood "whackers" are going after Copperfield with a #metoo pressure play. That could end very badly.

#1174 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

—Robert / dT

That's great news.

#1175 5 years ago

I expect anything/everything jpop does to be a rehash of everything he has already done. He will continue to recycle the same ramps, magnet set up he has already used on Tom,totan,wcs94, and cv.
The guy has nothing left, he blew his wad in the 90's.
Now The rest of team deeproot I'm looking forward to seeing What they can come up with and I wish them all great success.

#1176 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

He will continue to recycle the same ramps, magnet set up he has already used on Tom,totan,wcs94, and cv.

Sort of like how 95% of Stern pinball machines have a ramp on each side that returns the ball to the inlanes? Or how steve ritchie admits his lower half is EXACTLY the same on every game he designs? Not that I want to defend JPOP, but he does have some good concepts, he just sucks at implementing them.

#1177 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Sort of like how 95% of Stern pinball machines have a ramp on each side that returns the ball to the inlanes? Or how steve ritchie admits his lower half is EXACTLY the same on every game he designs? Not that I want to defend JPOP, but he does have some good concepts, he just sucks at implementing them.

Can't argue that. Some designers have gotten very complacent in their designs. If it worked once, reuse it 5-6 more times.

#1178 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They will be made out of "vaporware" completely indestructible due to them not existing.

#1179 5 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

They will be made out of "vaporware" completely indestructible due to them not existing.

What makes you say that?

#1180 5 years ago

Big plans, big load, seen it before. $2.4 mil only goes so far.

#1181 5 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

I remember that comment and that's why I found it strange when (Robert on latest podcast) mentioned levitating balls on Magic Girl could dimple the playfield. If a sledgehammer won't dimple it, then why would a pinball from a few inches high?
From memory in 2014 he started downloading virtual pinball on his phone, after this he purchased his first pinball. I'm still thinking it will be more lcd screen than playfield as it sounds like his passion is more virtual pinball than the real deal.

VR pinball. There's a reason deeproot is heavy on designers/programmers and light on manufacturing.

#1182 5 years ago

just sayin

#1183 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

VR pinball. There's a reason deeproot is heavy on designers/programmers and light on manufacturing.

It's real pinball. Good guess though.

#1184 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Big plans, big load, seen it before.

That is a problem. Gene got it done. ( BBB ) JJP got it done. And people may have gotten complacent and thinking anyone could do it. Then we've seen some notable failures. So the pendulum has swung way the other way. People aren't so quick to believe.

Since they aren't asking for up front money. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens as things progress. A couple of recent hires have faith in what is going on. Another positive sign. So soon enough we shall see.

TPF isn't that far away. Doesn't cost us anything to watch what happens once the days of Deeproot starts. Wish them well and hope the best for pinball.

LTG : )

#1185 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is a problem. Gene got it done. ( BBB ) JJP got it done. And people may have gotten complacent and thinking anyone could do it. Then we've seen some notable failures. So the pendulum has swung way the other way. People aren't so quick to believe.
Since they aren't asking for up front money. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and see what happens as things progress. A couple of recent hires have faith in what is going on. Another positive sign. So soon enough we shall see.
TPF isn't that far away. Doesn't cost us anything to watch what happens once the days of Deeproot starts. Wish them well and hope the best for pinball.

Thank you Lloyd. It was Gene's success and my lack of confidence that kept me out of BBB. I thought it would be easy to make it up counting on Jpop. I soon found out it wasn't the same level of competence or commitment. I chose poorly.

I like what I've seen and heard so far from DR. I wish them nothing but the best.

#1186 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

they aren't asking for up front money.

Perhaps. But as stated on their website, they may be getting their money from investors just the same.

"solid alternative investment funds that are designed to keep pace with or outperform traditional investments without taking on unnecessary, unpredictable risk."

#1187 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps. But as stated on their website, they may be getting their money from investors just the same.

And??.. they are called “investors” for a reason. That’s n.o.t. customers.

Or do we now call them clients for sake of political correctness.

#1188 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

And??.. they are called “investors” for a reason. That’s n.o.t. customers.

Yes, I equate somebody investing money in a company the same as providing up front money which obviously they didn't get without asking for it in some way. Unless they are not using investors money and are using their own from another source instead.

But feel free to tell my if I am wrong. Trust me, it won't hurt my feelings one bit.

#1189 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps I could have worded it better.

They aren't in here begging for huge deposits on future games if you want one.

#1190 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They aren't in here begging for huge deposits on future games if you want one.

Yeah, I get that as what you meant.

I just had to be Johnny obvious and point out somebody else's investment money is probably at stake here unless Deeproot is strictly using their own. There are a few articles about them as an investment firm but looks like they have only been around for about five years.

#1191 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, I equate somebody investing money in a company the same as providing up front money which obviously they didn't get without asking for it in some way. Unless they are not using investors money and are using their own from another source instead.
But feel free to tell my if I am wrong. Trust me, it won't hurt my feelings one bit.

I suppose I was going from the position of being a 'customer' for Zidware, not investing in Jpop's company. I didn't anticipate returns, revenue, profit sharing, etc. My contract with John cited me as a "purchaser". I anticipated the product I purchased.

#1192 5 years ago

What material will the Deeproot playfields be made out of? Will it be wood, or another material?

#1193 5 years ago

A piece of titanium the size of a playfield would weigh about 80 pounds and only cost around $200k.

#1194 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What material will the Deeproot playfields be made out of? Will it be wood, or another material?

Someone mentioned oldhammers earlier?

#1195 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

A piece of titanium the size of a playfield would weigh about 80 pounds and only cost around $200k.

Don't give Kapow any ideas...

#1196 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I suppose I was going from the position of being a 'customer' for Zidware, not investing in Jpop's company. I didn't anticipate returns, revenue, profit sharing, etc. My contract with John cited me as a "purchaser". I anticipated the product I purchased.

I'm thinking of investing in deeproot, so I can really cash in.

#1197 5 years ago

Good thing Deeproot is redesigning/finishing up Magic Girl (One of their first in line)... Looks like I won't be buying that "Rare one that doesn't actually completely fully work" after all...

#1198 5 years ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

Good thing Deeproot is redesigning/finishing up Magic Girl (One of their first in line)... Looks like I won't be buying that "Rare one that doesn't actually completely fully work" after all...

From TWIP it was exciting to see that both Magic Girl and RAZA were listed as being part of the initial launch.

https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-monster-bash-confirmed-pinburgh-interviews-with-robert-mueller-and-ben-heck-godzilla-toho-vs-warner-bros/

#1199 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

From TWIP it was exciting to see that both Magic Girl and RAZA were listed as being part of the initial launch.
https://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-monster-bash-confirmed-pinburgh-interviews-with-robert-mueller-and-ben-heck-godzilla-toho-vs-warner-bros/

Is that really exciting? There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that they won't remain a total pile of excrement.

#1200 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Is that really exciting? There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that they won't remain a total pile of excrement.

It's not going to cost anyone anything to find out. I'm excited about that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.