Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 672.
#1101 5 years ago

The one who can't be named cause it gets you permabanned.

#1102 5 years ago

I wish Deeproot the best of success, as I do all new and existing pinball companies, because I love pinball and want it to thrive and succeed.

I am also a Jpop plaintiff and didn't go for the Deeproot offer, as it didn't amount to much, there was nothing legally binding in it that was helpful, and as a point of principle I want to see the Jpop case through to the end, even if it takes 10 years. Already that case has achieved a lot, and for pinball it puts a useful legal line in the sand.

Finally, I view pinball purchases quite simply now- I'll pay in full when the machine is about to ship, with maybe a small amount as deposit first. Beyond that, no more BS. We have surely seen it all in the last 6 years, and that's quite enough of that, thanks.

#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Thanks, I didn't get that either.

#1104 5 years ago

He who must not be named, like Voldemort but starts with a K and ends with an a.

#1105 5 years ago

Kaneda

#1106 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

He clarifies that his goal is to streamline pinball design and manufacturing. His goal isn't to take Stern down, he just wants to build great pinball in the most cost effective way... a new company building from scratch would have a fresh approach.

im pro deeproot. its nice to see more attitudes swinging in that direction.
re: manufacturing, hes right about how ugly current upstarts and recent failed attempts are making/have made the industry look. years to production [if at all] and slow ramp ups being the norm.

Quoted from JodyG:

After listening to the interview, I hope Deeproot does disrupt the market a bit.

If deeproot delivers an exciting NIB experience when it comes to game features, price, and delivery times, companies whose customers are waiting up to a year for delivery of games designed by less experienced designers are going to be at risk. the competition needs to begin rewriting parts of their playbook starting now, before its too late and they 'wonder' what happened.

Quoted from JodyG:

I am imagining some kind of internet connectivity to these games as being the one way they are going to do it.

im old school. good shooter, good price; it doesn't need to be fancy. im hoping for a variety of playing experiences to be delivered through software. dynamic graphics on the pf [oleds] and holography might be ok. personally, ill be disappointed if internet, video, LCD graphics are a main selling point of their games.

no more quad assembly for robert, octo assembly is where its at now.

octoassembly.jpgoctoassembly.jpg

Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Had a good laugh in a previous podcast when Joe mentioned he kept increasing the orders on Thunderbirds making him eat crow.

despite whatever benefits/advances homepin has made in assembly/construction, they've failed to deliver on gameplay/playability with this title. this was discussed, with detailed reasoning, months ago in their main thread. whatever tweaks were made to the design since then were not enough to convince those at NWPAS; most reviews were tactfully negative. quick search found no comments on gameplay from last weeks NERG. there is a 9:00 gameplay video. perhaps subsequent layouts will be more worthy of discussion, but as it stands, expect TAG to be a non-factor.

#1107 5 years ago

Good post, Hornet

#1109 5 years ago

I just learned that Jon Norris REALLY likes flowers, from those facebook photos.

#1110 5 years ago

How can you not root deeply for these guys after the lovable Steve Bowden was hired!

#1111 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

How can you not root deeply for these guys after the lovable Steve Bowden was hired!

How can we not want pinball to succeed?
I do, not going to buy it. But glad this Thunderbirds is getting close after 4 years.

#1112 5 years ago

A nice interview. I wish them every success.

I look forward to seeing their games when the five days of Deep Root starts. And especially if I can get a look under the hood in case I ever help somebody with a tech question.

LTG : )

#1113 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

He who must not be named, like Voldemort but starts with a K and ends with an a.

Kvoldemorta?

#1114 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I look forward to seeing their games when the five days of Deep Root starts. And especially if I can get a look under the hood in case I ever help somebody with a tech question.

This really_ comes across corny to me.

Lots of the smoke and mirrors from them is very off putting to me. I'd like to skip all this and just get to the product I can buy. Please.

#1115 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Not everyone apparently. It wasn't that long ago a thread appeared on the main page with that knuckelhead buddying up to and putting his arms around of all people, Robin. Started by a moderator here I believe.

Buried or deleted in the depths of the basement now somewhere....

#1116 5 years ago

K03 (resized).jpgK03 (resized).jpg

Quoted from Frippertron:

How can you not root deeply for these guys?

let me ROOT, ROOT, ROOT for the home team
if they don't win its a shame
for its one, two, three strikes [K] youre out
at the old ball game.

#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

This really_ comes across corny to me.
Lots of the smoke and mirrors from them is very off putting to me. I'd like to skip all this and just get to the product I can buy. Please.

Well mark your calendar for Sat, March 23, 2019 - the second day of TPF is the official 5th day of deeproot. Everything about the company and its offerings are revealed by this date. Two titles are guaranteed to be offered - RAZA and MG. Might be one or two others. AIW will not be available until a later date - it is probably nowhere near ready.

On a separate note This week in Pinball TWIP identifies original Houdini and Fire & Brimstone as confirmed themes, so I'll let you connect the dots on games #3 & #4 that we might also see. I'll point out that Robert Mueller was indignant about Stern stealing Godzilla from Charlie, but he doesn't see the hypocrisy in his producing Houdini, when AP is already successfully delivering a full featured Houdini. Go figure

Robert Mueller has said before he intends to be able to ship games within two weeks of ordering. He mentions testing out his manufacturing process and building some early games before the 5DoDR. As the end date is fixed, if they are running behind they may need to reduce what is shown. I think this translates back into showing 2 games in the worst case and up to 4 games if everything falls into place. I hope they don't mention any games that are not ready at that presentation.

#1118 5 years ago

#1119 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Well mark your calendar for Sat, March 23, 2019 - the second day of TPF is the official 5th day of deeproot. Everything about the company and its offerings are revealed by this date. Two titles are guaranteed to be offered - RAZA and MG. Might be one or two others. AIW will not be available until a later date - it is probably nowhere near ready.

On a separate note This week in Pinball TWIP identifies original Houdini and Fire & Brimstone as confirmed themes, so I'll let you connect the dots on games #3 & #4 that we might also see. I'll point out that Robert Mueller was indignant about Stern stealing Godzilla from Charlie, but he doesn't see the hypocrisy in his producing Houdini, when AP is already successfully delivering a full featured Houdini. Go figure

Robert Mueller has said before he intends to be able to ship games within two weeks of ordering. He mentions testing out his manufacturing process and building some early games before the 5DoDR. As the end date is fixed, if they are running behind they may need to reduce what is shown. I think this translates back into showing 2 games in the worst case and up to 4 games if everything falls into place. I hope they don't mention any games that are not ready at that presentation.

Thanks. As a business owner and a guy that has helped build start-ups in silicon valley, I've had the pleasure of working with amazing people, that have no ego setting the example.

So it's a major turn-off to hear the ego unleashed here. I just want to buy an awesome game and not hear continued hype about how great they are for a year before 5DoDR.

Then again, here I am reading a thread about it. Oh the hypocrisy.

#1120 5 years ago

Good interview, thanks

#1121 5 years ago
Quoted from deeproot:

Curious... facts aside, is he not allowed to have or post an *opinion* that you don’t approve of?

Lol!

#1122 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I, for one, do not get any pleasure from even the thought of being "deeply rooted".

At least you got the joke!

#1123 5 years ago

High on air, low on details in that interview.
Wont need 5 more days of it.
Fan of DR when I see a game in a box.
Good luck.

#1124 5 years ago

I didn't listen to the interview and I'm not gonna, but they're seriously releasing a Houdini game? Extra lol to that, and if it's the hilariously broken joke Jpop did then I'm gonna need a trailer to carry the lols around with me.

#1125 5 years ago

Best quote of the interview:

"We're done with quad-assembly, we're doing octo-assembly now."

Five blades (resized).jpgFive blades (resized).jpg

#1126 5 years ago

When I see this face I think

M I L F !

#1127 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Best quote of the interview:
"We're done with quad-assembly, we're doing octo-assembly now."

Amp it up.

#1129 5 years ago

in before the lock!

#1130 5 years ago

I was just thinking about that spoof commercial today. Wasn't expecting it to be posted here.

#1131 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I didn't listen to the interview and I'm not gonna, but they're seriously releasing a Houdini game? Extra lol to that, and if it's the hilariously broken joke Jpop did then I'm gonna need a trailer to carry the lols around with me.

The vast volume of machines American Pinball has shipped really showed that the depths of Houdini Pinball are inexhaustible.

#1132 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The vast volume of machines American Pinball has shipped really showed that the depths of Houdini Pinball are inexhaustible.

How many Houdini’s are out there?

DR has a passion for pinball and a nice team in place

We all know how horrible pinball companies are at marketing. I’m assuming they will use social media to expand into the non pinhead world

I’m skeptical it will work on a big scale but def excited to see it play out

It’s just pinball after all and I’m not sure how many crazy people like us are out there

#1133 5 years ago

I am hoping DR's Houdini becomes Copperfield upon release. I hate always having to ask the manufactures name when just talking about a game.

#1134 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I am hoping DR's Houdini becomes Copperfield upon release. I hate always having to ask the manufactures name when just talking about a game.

Copperfield is expensive!

#1135 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Copperfield is expensive!

Maybe they'll go with Brodien instead.

51QsXMntxtL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_ (resized).jpg51QsXMntxtL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_ (resized).jpg
#1136 5 years ago

Is Houdini the same design?

#1137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Houdini would be an odd choice. American Houdini is already out. Big risk to have a machine compared to something already established, and pretty good. And for the fans of the Houdini theme, do they expect them to buy 2 expensive machines?

#1138 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Houdini would be an odd choice. American Houdini is already out. Big risk to have a machine compared to something already established, and pretty good. And for the fans of the Houdini theme, do they expect them to buy 2 expensive machines?

Houdini would be a horrible choice. People with the AP game will probably not want two games of the same theme. Then it's Jpop so some will not buy because of that. Third, it's not a great theme. Change the name to Magic Theatre or The Magician or Magicians.

#1139 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is Houdini the same design?

No totally different design. If DR wants to develop a magic themed pin, there is room for another, but market saturation might bite them in the ass. But when Josh was building Houdini he had to get a license so I can't see DR being able to pick the same license. Rethemed as David Copperfield or a David Blaine though, might breathe some fresh air into their design. Particularly challenging to building another Houdini pin are that his best known tricks are already captured by AP and the dialog and screens they provide are historically accurate and educational. Just doesn't make any sense to proceed on another Houdini. Time for DR to go in another direction on their magical pin, if they haven't already done so. :pullingarabbitoutofmyhat:

#1140 5 years ago

No totally different design. If DP wants to develop a magic themed pin, there is room for another, but market saturation might bite them in the ass. But when Josh was building Houdini he had to get a license so I can't see DR being able to pick the same license. Rethemed as David Copperfield or a David Blaine though, might breathe some fresh air into their design. Particularly challenging to building another Houdini pin are that his best known tricks are already captured by AP and the dialog and screens they provide are historically accurate and educational. Just doesn't make any sense to proceed on another Houdini. :pullingarabbitoutofmyhat:

Lance Burton!

#1141 5 years ago

Well we've guessed 3 of the top 5 greatest magician already. Before you look, do you know he other two licenses?

IMG_0479 (resized).PNGIMG_0479 (resized).PNG
#1142 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:Time for DR to go in another direction on their magical pin

Quoted from hank527:

Change the name to Magic Theatre or The Magician or Magicians

DR already has a magic pin in their lineup : magic girl.
do they really need a second one among their first four/five?
how about making one about a boy wizard?
or delve into bands pins with 'america'? because they can do magic.

#1143 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

IMO it wasn't *just* the fact that it was a broken, totally unworkable diorama ... it looked hideous.

Take a look at a picture of it. Cabinet and translite were fine (though I prefer the production model's seemless translite / screen integration). But, no offence to the artist - he was working to do what JPop wanted - the playfield and plastics looked awful.

Albeit I think Magic Girl looks like a complete dog's dinner. Others seem to disagree.
houdini (resized).jpghoudini (resized).jpghoudini1 (resized).PNGhoudini1 (resized).PNG

#1144 5 years ago

#1145 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

IMO it wasn't *just* the fact that it was a broken, totally unworkable diorama ... it looked hideous.
Take a look at a picture of it.

American Houdini looks to have a much better layout. The color palette is awful on the JPOP version. But I quite like some of the art — the lions at the bottom and the snakes intertwining around the shoot again, for example. Very Mata Hari/Paragon/Lost World/Sorcerer.

#1146 5 years ago

Well we've guessed 3 of the top 5 greatest magician already. Before you look, do you know he other two licenses?

I absolutely adore Penn & Teller, but even they would admit there are better magicians. Well known magicians? They are the top. Greatest magicians? Houdini, Copperfield, burton, Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon

#1147 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Take a look at a picture of it. Cabinet and translite were fine (though I prefer the production model's seemless translite / screen integration). But, no offence to the artist - he was working to do what JPop wanted - the playfield and plastics looked awful.
Albeit I think Magic Girl looks like a complete dog's dinner. Others seem to disagree.

It looks fine.. but dated. It looks like it would have been a fantastic partner to TOTAN or TOM. Which obviously makes sense. But AP Houdini looks like it was made this year... much more restrained and dare I say classier

#1148 5 years ago

Copperfield blows compared to Penn and Teller. Copperfield's show in Vegas was lame when i saw it.

#1149 5 years ago

Penn and Teller are the best!

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Copperfield blows compared to Penn and Teller. Copperfield's show in Vegas was lame when i saw it.

I read reviews that for the past few years he's just been going through the motions. Every once in awhile people catch him on a good night, but most of the time the show is lacking any energy. After reading that I choose to see Matt Franco instead. I thought it was okay, but I wish we were closer. I'm not sure any magic show would be in my top five for Vegas. If you're going to see a show now either see Absinthe or Love.

Sorry...back on topic. I don't see the need to redo Houdini at this point. Go with Magic Girl and then give us something different. There are enough themes out there I don't see the need to step on so many toes with Houdini and Bible Adventures.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/23?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.