• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 669.
#11851 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

History has shown countless times technology and innovation offering solutions to problems people didn’t even know they had, until the new and improved way comes to market. Then and only then is the old way considered obsolete and the new way embraced and become the new standard. This is what I anticipate with deeproot, if they can ever get some games out the door.

Did you see the pictures of RAZA?

#11852 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Did you see the pictures of RAZA?

Yes.

#11853 3 years ago

Deeproot... you need to remember Pinsiders just got over Stern moving the power switch to the back box.. baby steps... baby steps..

#11854 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Deeproot... you need to remember Pinsiders just got over Stern moving the power switch to the back box.. baby steps... baby steps..

Only problem being, that change was counter inovative. Lol

Cost cutting, it is not actually an improvment on the switch location for the user.

#11855 3 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

No one has asked the very important question of where is the DR power switch? Or does it even have one? I reken you clap twice to turn it on?

#11856 3 years ago

It has been a week now. How big was this technical glitch that they could not have at least streamed the game by now after fixing the glitch? Not seeing RAZA flip after all this time is a pretty big warning sign for me.

#11857 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Probably was comparing to a Stern Premium, not a pro. Was "pro" a word Robert actually used? I think he just stated "cheaper than a Stern".

I'm referring to the "leaked" Kaneda Info, that the Arcade Model would be priced slightly lower then a Pro, if I remember correctly.

But, and this is a nearly as good as a fact, with the game still in development that pricepoint is only a set goal and still tbd.

#11858 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

They keep putting the cart before the horse. Show us an amazing game(s) that we all want and *then* blow our minds with the innovation stuff. Nobody buys a game because it's innovative. They buy it because it's fun.

Exactly. Or should we say putting the box before the game.

So much focus on all the innovations (as they call them) and nothing about what anyone really cares about - fun gameplay.

Many of the ideas are good and no one would argue they are innovative but they are simply not the main reason anyone would buy a game.

I mean it’s getting to laughable levels for me. If the next beta, alpha or whatever release features even more new innovations instead of a working pinball game with some flippers to flip, I’ll be on the floor.

How about unlockable wheels and a remote control so you drive it around to move it? How about building in stair-climbing ability like an escalera?

Waiting in anticipation...

#11859 3 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

History has shown countless times technology and innovation offering solutions to problems people didn’t even know they had, until the new and improved way comes to market. Then and only then is the old way considered obsolete and the new way embraced and become the new standard. This is what I anticipate with deeproot, if they can ever get some games out the door.

While this is true the opposite is much more likely. For every one of these game changers that are embraced, there are dozens and dozens of innovations that never make it out of the patent office. Only a small percentage even make it through Ron Popeil's front door let alone be embraced by the public at large.

#11860 3 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

While this is true the opposite is much more likely. For every one of these game changers that are embraced, there are dozens and dozens of innovations that never make it out of the patent office. Only a small percentage even make it through Ron Popeil's front door let alone be embraced by the public at large.

100%

If you think you have something super game changing, but it's not selling, maybe you don't have what you think you had.

Just constantly saying "this is the most innovative best thing ever" doesn't make it true even if the creator believes it.

#11861 3 years ago

Stolen from TWIP...

..looks nice!

(LEDs in Neds guns were allready mentioned.)

IMG_4295-2-850x478 (resized).jpgIMG_4295-2-850x478 (resized).jpg

#11862 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Stolen from TWIP...
..looks nice!
[quoted image]

Is there a motor? I wonder what it does or it’s just decoration.

#11863 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Stolen from TWIP...
..looks nice!
[quoted image]

What is with those huge opto boards and connectors on the ramp to the right? Those obviously are still in pre-prototype form. Not to mention that hideous split in the ramp?

#11864 3 years ago

Just saw Cary Hardy's video .
I really like the look of what they have done so far .
I can see what they've been doing with their time .
Only Goonies really interests me at the moment , will have to see what the other titles look like .
If you're going to do original titles do something cool that has footage available , like Pearl Harbour or the Battle of Britain .

#11865 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Is there a motor? I wonder what it does or it’s just decoration.

I'd guess ther LEDs in the rotate to simulate firing.

If I remember correctly Ned is sitting on a coil (so he rattles) and at his bottom is the motorized "goalie" target.

#11866 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

What is with those huge opto boards and connectors on the ramp to the right? Those obviously are still in pre-prototype form. Not to mention that hideous split in the ramp?

It's called camera zoom. XD

#11867 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I’m going to find it hard to get excited about any pinball machine from here on in that doesn’t have a broiler attached.

Ill take a smoker attachment!

#11868 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I'd guess ther LEDs in the rotate to simulate firing.
If I remember correctly Ned is sitting on a coil (so he rattles) and at his bottom is the motorized "goalie" target.

It’s funny because the voice is the same as AFM and the marsian mechanism too!
It could have been called AFM 3...

#11869 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Just saw Cary Hardy's video .
I really like the look of what they have done so far .
I can see what they've been doing with their time .
Only Goonies really interests me at the moment , will have to see what the other titles look like .
If you're going to do original titles do something cool that has footage available , like Pearl Harbour or the Battle of Britain .

If it was just a regular game with a traditional build, I'd be interested in it.

#11870 3 years ago

I really like the idea of playing against other owners, that actually seems overdue to me.

#11871 3 years ago

I think some pretty sweet innovative ideas are present. However I cannot force myself to EVER call adding several decades old technology to a pinball machine "innovation". I can accept using the the term "a more immersive experience".
I've bitched for a long time about why no one had added the ability for automated firmware updates - JJP and DR now add wireless which makes it possible. Sad that it's taken anyone this long to figure out what a common sense idea that is. It's long over due to retire USB drives.
So back to using WIFI and connecting the players online is great - but Sony had that available on the PS2.

I like the idea of the touch screen but with anything in life the fancier you get the more problems that can occur. I'd like to see their replacement parts price list. If it's not cost effective to maintain well then I'm against all this fancy stuff ya know? Speaking of, "IF" the touch screen is a DR proprietary design then that leaves you open to being screwed trying to get a replacement. Example is the small screen for the Hobbit. JJP is out and apparently there's not a suitable replacement. That[s bad .... like ..... really bad.

The tools to set pitch and level off the touch screen - now that's awesome! Now if they added hydraulics like on RV's it would literally do everything itself lol

I'm bummed though. After watching the above video (thank you sharing btw) it looks like Alice is down on the list. They're focused on many other things and obviously "Hey you guys" is goonies next year. Whether that'll be digital or not is the real question.

#11872 3 years ago

So, um.... when does the next countdown begin? Or should we just continue to bicker amongst ourselves?

#11873 3 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

So, um.... when does the next countdown begin? Or should we just continue to bicker amongst ourselves?

Who cares? Until something is playable and in a box nothing to see here. I think most would agree that it's put up or shut up time and don't post anything until you are ready.

#11874 3 years ago

after watching cary hardy's video I have a new respect for what they are attempting to do but have a few questions

- if the game is started, players added, etc... all options done through the pinbar, this is probably going to be an expensive item that no operator (or home owner) is going to have an extra on hand to get their game back up and running should it fail (unlike a simple push button start button). and like how stern promised that node boards would be cheap to produce (but leaving out the part that it will cost the end user an arm & a leg), I'm guessing that replacement pinbars will not be cheap.
also, if they're not readily available, this equals a game that will be down for a extended period of time (something that operators / home use only owners will not be thrilled about

- does the playfield glass lift and open all of the way (perpendicular to the floor)? if so, what is the ceiling requirement? (I'm guessing at least an 8' minimum). if it doesn't lift all the way and isn't removeable, this really limits just how far you can lift the actual playfield up to be able to work on the underside of playfield

#11875 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if the game is started, players added, etc... all options done through the pinbar,

Strongly dislike this idea. I enjoy the tactile satisfaction of walking up to a game and BANG-BANG add a couple players from a real start button. Why are they spending thousands (millions?) of development dollars to make the simplest things harder AND less fun to do?

Cargument time! It's like when they replace volume & climate knobs with a touchscreen. That is NOT an upgrade.

#11876 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Strongly dislike this idea. I enjoy the tactile satisfaction of walking up to a game and BANG-BANG add a couple players from a real start button. Why are they spending thousands (millions?) of development dollars to make the simplest things harder AND less fun to do?
Cargument time! It's like when they replace volume & climate knobs with a touchscreen. That is NOT an upgrade.

I've noticed that a lot of newbies have trouble finding the start button on pins. They're not used to either having to press a start button at all, or unaccustomed to having a start button below their line of sight.

Having a start button on top could be useful, but I agree, a touch screen shouldn't be the only way to start a game.

#11877 3 years ago

Same reason why they put two coin slots on the door. A little redundancy so that the game can keep earning.

Even if it is never used and the Pinbar™ never breaks, it's a two dollar insurance policy. Out of all the frivolous things they want to put into a game, that's a trivial cost and would be more appreciated among operators than some of their other ideas.

I really wonder if the thought crossed their mind that they should have done some focus testing with some operators. Probably not or it was ignored advice. (I would say that they should just focus on home collectors, but whatever)

#11878 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Pinball aside, I can't Stand crap old cars with the temp control knobs. Do you want to be more blue or red? WTH does that even mean? Give me a simple set temperature on the screen and done for life. Some advancements Are common sense.

#11879 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Pinball aside, I can't Stand crap old cars with the temp control knobs. Do you want to be more blue or red? WTH does that even mean? Give me a simple set temperature on the screen and done for life. Some advancements Are common sense.

Yet my wife still cranks the temp up as high as she can when she wants MAWR heat now...

#11880 3 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

The countdown clock is again unplugged.

#11881 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Bang Bang the N00b starts a 3 player game by his own and has to play through it.

#11882 3 years ago

DR on PinBar (Pinball news):

“We want to challenge the last few decades of pinball by changing from a habit of walking up to a deeproot machine and saying, “Where is the start button?”; to walking up to any non-deeproot machine and saying “Where’s the PinBar”?

How about “Where’s the pinball machine?”

Or “Where’s the manufacturing line?”

#11883 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

agreed. hence why ford (and other auto companies) have gone back and replaced most of those touchscreen controls back to physical switches. too many customers complaining about losing the ability to do anything when the touchscreen stops working.

Quoted from Yelobird:

apparently, you've never seen the year with out a santa claus. what the colors blue and red represent is pretty evident
1heatcoldmiser (resized).jpg1heatcoldmiser (resized).jpg

#11884 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

When you're driving, it's much easier to make adjustments with physical knobs without having to look than with a touchscreen.

#11885 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

apparently, you've never seen the year with out a santa claus. what the colors blue and red represent is pretty evident

I think he meant that there's no indication of the exact temperature.

#11886 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Pinball aside, I can't Stand crap old cars with the temp control knobs. Do you want to be more blue or red? WTH does that even mean?

You mean you've never seen a shower or sink faucet with this same color coding? Red = hot, blue = cold. That's, like... kindergarten easy.

And universal too because it doesn't require numbers to be labeled as F or C, or converted, or even calibrated as accurate (which they most often are not).

#11887 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Ill take a smoker attachment!

How about the Pingina (TM)? Fleshlight built right into the coindoor. Now that's innovation!

#11888 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It's called camera zoom. XD

Camera zoom or not, the opto board needs to fit completely underneath the lip on the side of the ramp in order to fit in most places they will need them. Having a connector stick out an inch to the side is definitely sign of a prototype. As for the split ramp. No matter how well it fits, there will always be a transition making it play wonky instead of buttery.

I don't mind plastic ramps, but I am surprised that the plastic ramp police who like to bug Stern so much haven't come out in this thread.

#11889 3 years ago

So Ben Heck and K made a good point on K’s latest podcast. That the complete beta day dump of every thought they ever had looked like it all came from invester slide decks. Indeed it did. I mean releasing names and descriptions on every game for the next ten years is nuts.

A troubling sign. Why would a company portray itself to the world like this unless things are getting desperate. Perhaps looking for more investment. If that’s the case though, the beta flail event couldn’t have been more optimally designed to scare off last minute saviour investment - just makes no sense.

Also consider departures and mass gagging including Steve now. Something is up for sure.

#11890 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do you want to be more blue or red? WTH does that even mean?

I know you're not that dumb.

#11891 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

How about the Pingina (TM)? Fleshlight built right into the coindoor. Now that's innovation!

Except I would have to kneel on a box to even think about using said Pingina(TM)... Lets try mounting it in the Pinbar because my junk is nearly lockbar high... (and would let me do to the Pinbar what I actually think of the Pinbar). And dont even start with the "how tall are you?" questions- if you have ever met me, you get the picture.

#11892 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

hence why ford (and other auto companies) have gone back and replaced most of those touchscreen controls back to physical switches. too many customers complaining about losing the ability to do anything when the touchscreen stops working.

First time I saw a Model S with that giant tablet in place of the entire console I was like, never buying one of those. Touchscreens are not luxury, they are just everyday junk now. That's what cars looked like in 1970's sci-fi. I hope someone makes "cheap" cars with knobs (which are actually way more expensive) as long as humans drive them. And pinball machines with buttons.

#11893 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I don't mind plastic ramps, but I am surprised that the plastic ramp police who like to bug Stern so much haven't come out in this thread.

We are so far from a working production machine that frivolous concerns like "gameplay" seem irrelevant.

Innovation!

#11894 3 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Except I would have to kneel on a box to even think about using said Pingina(TM)... Lets try mounting it in the Pinbar because my junk is nearly lockbar high... (and would let me do to the Pinbar what I actually think of the Pinbar). And dont even start with the "how tall are you?" questions- if you have ever met me, you get the picture.

If dr really wants to innovate they need to come up with a multi-positional Pingina (TM). Everyone regardless of height should be able to participate in the race to drain their balls before they drain their ball.

#11895 3 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I know you're not that dumb.

Does the thermostat on your wall at home have a temperature number or do you just add more wood still? Pretty basic technology for those that can accept change. Lol

#11896 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

Ha, I don't think old war themes are gonna be big sellers with the under 70 crowd.

#11897 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Does the thermostat on your wall at home have a temperature number or do you just add more wood still? Pretty basic technology for those that can accept change. Lol

I actually just add more wood . It doesn’t seem to be a problem .

#11898 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Does the thermostat on your wall at home have a temperature number or do you just add more wood still?

It has a giant knob and one button that physically clicks, no touchscreen.

#11899 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Ha, I don't think old war themes are gonna be big sellers with the under 70 crowd.

Battlefield and Call of Duty franchises might disagree

#11900 3 years ago

What a total shitshow this has been.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 238 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/238 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.