Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 672.
#11101 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly. I've been saying this for years.
And there's a reason for that. It's because pinball isn't about innovation, it's about pinball. The entire allure of pinball is steeped in tradition and nostalgia, not shoehorning in tech that it doesn't need.
Deep Root calls their ridiculous "pinbar" "The most revolutionary innovation in the history of pinball."
Move over flippers, pop bumpers, score reels, solid state technology, digital displays, and digital sound. Here comes a bulky sharp-cornered lockdown bar with a screen nobody asked for. And if that ain't enough for ya, we got a new hammer proof clearcoat that has the texture of an orange peel and comes with dimples pre-installed, with the added impossibility of them ever flattening out because it's harder than a diamond.
The most revolutionary innovations in the history of pinball, ladies and gents.

I thought you were going to sit this out?

#11102 3 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I heard Deeproot spent a lot of time getting patents for everything they developed so that might not be the case. However I'm sure Stern will do just fine without any of these innovations.

can't find anything in the patent office with deeproot on it. None of what they have done is new really, so I suspect winning a patent case wouldn't be hard with so many prior works.

#11103 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I thought you were going to sit this out?

i lied.gifi lied.gif
#11104 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I wanna see the hammer test on the touch screen.

heck, "spill beer into touchscreen" test more interesting to me

#11105 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

heck, "spill beer into touchscreen" test more interesting to me

Beer and butt test. Can someone sit on it or spill a beer on it? Because all my current games have passed that test.

#11106 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

innovation has to be within the game... not the cabinet, or the backglass or the buttons that turn off extra balls. And a touch screen in the world of Covid - holy timing disaster batman.
I do like the crate though.
My heart is filled with dread on the goonies though...

I see this mentioned again and again but I’m curious how the hell any of you are playing pinball without touching the buttons?

#11107 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well they definitely got the right designer if they want to go the "amusing racial stereotype" route. Not sure how that plays in 2020 but honestly with the pinball crowd it might be a plus.

*Both laughing and cringing at this comment.* Yeah, there are a lot of ways Food Truck could go wrong and come off badly.

#11108 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I see this mentioned again and again but I’m curious how the hell any of you are playing pinball without touching the buttons?

Something I was thinking about the other day is, people can't use the touch screen with gloves or winter mittens. Probably not that big of an issue, but a minor bump.

#11109 3 years ago

Let's play them, shall we.

Display and display panel in the backbox are AWESOME!!

#11110 3 years ago

This thread is now just like the tides of the sea.

Ebb and flow, ups and lows of enthusiasm. XD

I think I have my new "Countdown".

Deeproot markeeeet treeeends: UP UP UP!!!

#11111 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I'm at home - nobody is playing my games except me at the moment!

#11112 3 years ago

There were 6 “pinball media” there - what did you think of the, you know... game?

#11113 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There were 6 “pinball media” there - what did you think of the, you know... game?

That probably falls into topics they are not allowed to discuss.

#11114 3 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

What pinball people say: They want: "Innovation".

What they say when it's offered to them: "No. Not like that, more like the way things have always been. That kind of innovation."

Not all new ideas are good ideas. When people say they want "Innovation", I don't think they mean -any- new idea.

#11115 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

That probably falls into topics they are not allowed to discuss.

If they all signed 5 page NDA's I'm curious what they were ever going to be able to report. Apparently everything was going to have to be approved by deeproot prior to publishing or download. They essentially became free shills of the company by reporting everything good and none of their personal concerns or anything negative. I'm not sure everyone in the pinball media would have signed up for such a tour even with early access.

#11116 3 years ago

Does anyone else dislike how you see the support bracket system for lifting the glass/side-rails from the normal players perspective? For a company so obsessed with aesthetics, it seems like an oversight to not better hide it.

IMG_4317-1 (resized).jpgIMG_4317-1 (resized).jpg
#11117 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

They essentially became free shills

That is not like it works, at all.

#11118 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Does anyone else dislike how you see the support bracket system for lifting the glass/side-rails from the normal players perspective? For a company so obsessed with aesthetics, it seems like an oversight to not better hide it.
[quoted image]

I don't mind and it's supposed to be not final if you read Jeffs text, so we'll see.

#11119 3 years ago

Innovation on the playfield is what gets the blood pumping....things that interact with the pinball.

#11120 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

This thread is now just like the tides of the sea.

Ebb and flow, ups and lows of enthusiasm. XD

The story of Deeproot.

First, "pinball is easy" and "quad-assembly = best and cheapest pinball game". All laughs.

Second, proven designers and a hundre more hired. Solid ambitions. Ok, maybe this is the shit.

Third, delays, trash talking, people leaving and a mixed feelings presentation of a prototype. Again people shaking heads.

Now, solid product presented, massive product outline already revealed. Now what to think.

Lets hope it'll go for the high tides again.

#11121 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Theme doesn’t matter? Hasn’t that been already settled
I’m my mind it has. It’s Number 1
Seems like they are trying to fight the facts to me

Give me a food truck pinball with some seriously awesome mechs - food truck takes in a ball and spits out a burger and fries
with some yeti level artwork and i will take a look

#11122 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

If they all signed 5 page NDA's I'm curious what they were ever going to be able to report. Apparently everything was going to have to be approved by deeproot prior to publishing or download. They essentially became free shills of the company by reporting everything good and none of their personal concerns or anything negative. I'm not sure everyone in the pinball media would have signed up for such a tour even with early access.

These things usually work like this: you are given a date / time (often called an embargo) when you are allowed to post your observations about the game, what you saw, etc. There is no requirement that you not post negative opinions at that time. There are also often topics (future titles, un-confirmed or not yet TM'd or Patented ideas, etc. - those would be called out specifically that you are not allowed to mention them even after the embargo is lifted.

#11123 3 years ago

I'm really shocked that there isn't more talk / excitement about a Who pin, that's pretty major IMO. I do understand that they've yet to produce one single fully-working game but The Who and many of those other upcoming titles could be really awesome if they can get their shit together!

#11124 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm really shocked that there isn't more talk / excitement about a Who pin, that's pretty major IMO. I do understand that they've yet to produce one single fully-working game but The Who and many of those other upcoming titles could be really awesome if they can get their shit together!

It doesn't look like they actually have a license. Sounds like they have "a concept."

So many concepts. I don't currently have the Harry Potter license yet either but I've provided a concept.

I do love me some fuckin' Who. More rock pins the better. Everybody says they are sick of them but they sell.

I think the reason you aren't seeing any excitement is because nobody believes Deep Root is ever actually going to produce a Who pin, "unique mechs" or no.

#11125 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think the reason you aren't seeing any excitement is because nobody believes Deep Root is ever actually going to produce a Who pin.

Or everyone is exhausted from bashing the shit out of and making fun of them the last two days after the failed / delayed reveal!

#11126 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

There's no talk or excitement because it more than likely will never come to fruition much like Heighway's Queen pinball. If you look at the progress on RAZA since it was revealed last November until now there really isn't that much. There's way more work that needs to be done before it gets released including finishing up the prototype game, setting up a factory, acquiring all the parts, and hiring line-staff and training them. I think we are at least a year away from the possibility of games hitting customer's hands. The Who pin is a pipe dream at this point.

#11127 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Because Data East already made an excellent Tommy? Granted it's based on the play based on the album (and you could change the music). But is deeproot really going to top the blinders mode?

and as I joked before. I imagine most pinheads are sick to death of Pinball Wizard

#11128 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

They essentially became free shills of the company by reporting everything good and none of their personal concerns or anything negative.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.36.35 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-22 at 4.36.35 PM (resized).png

Apparently Lauren, Cary, Colin, Chris, Krystle, and myself suck at shilling since our feedback helped cause delay of the launch for the company we were supposed to be shilling for.

#11129 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The problem ist exactly what you just mentioned.

I'm more hyped for the platform since for Raza, and am looking forward to "the possibility" of Magic Girl, BUT first off the have to get their feet successfully in the market.

Showing off so many games is a pretty risky move, since you're eating your own sales (if they do manage to get Raza out).

#11130 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

There's no talk or excitement because it more than likely will never come to fruition much like Heighway's Queen pinball. If you look at the progress on RAZA since it was revealed last November until now there really isn't that much. There's way more work that needs to be done before it gets released including finishing up the prototype game, setting up a factory, acquiring all the parts, and hiring line-staff and training them. I think we are at least a year away from the possibility of games hitting customer's hands. The Who pin is a pipe dream at this point.

Because they aren't designing a pinball machine. They are designing an entire platform with a new OS, power delivery, solder-less connections, etc. It isn't just PROC or a computer with PBL parts like other start ups.

Edit: To be clear I think they grossly underestimated how difficult everything they are trying to do would be but I am more excited now that I now what it is and isn't. As long as no one gives them preorder money the only people they owe something to is investors.

#11131 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

The problem ist exactly what you just mentioned.
I'm more hyped for the platform since for Raza, and am looking forward to "the possibility" of Magic Girl, BUT first off the have to get their feet successfully in the market.
Showing off so many games is a pretty risky move, since you're eating your own sales (if they do manage to get Raza out).

Yeah and they've told their customers what to expect, so now people will be patient to wait on the theme they want more (assuming they still want it later). It's been an issue over at JJP for years.

#11132 3 years ago

If they didn't do anything with the cabinet and just did a classic design they could have put this into production way sooner. The focus then would be on the artwork, gameplay and magic on PF. I feel all the extra things they've added will just drive the cost of the machine, and they have to R&D all this stuff.
Also if the screen just controls a magna save.... that one expensive button.

Touch Screen cost + RD + Touch screen support+ UI dev. =$$$$
vs a .25 cent button

Unless there banking on something amazing with that screen

#11133 3 years ago

How comical can you get.
Pinball media turn up for a day of pinball, free food and drink.
These new ‘media pin consultants’ tell the Deeproot team “Guys your not ready!”
The DR team agree, fold their tents, thank them for their candour and fcuk off...WTF!

#11134 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Because they aren't designing a pinball machine. They are designing an entire platform with a new OS, power delivery, solder-less connections, etc. It isn't just PROC or a computer with PBL parts like other start ups.

All I hear is a classic issue of scope creep.

#11135 3 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Unless there banking on something amazing with that screen

Read Jeffs article.

#11136 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I don't mind and it's supposed to be not final if you read Jeffs text, so we'll see.

So they're going to spend more money and time to cover up the newfangled lift system they didn't need to invent except to accommodate this new "pinbar" thing that partially blocks view of the flippers and tells people what to shoot in case they somehow miss the inserts on the playfield telling them where to shoot.

Sounds like a winner to me!

#11137 3 years ago

On a positive note. Ned looks bad ass with LED guns.

#11138 3 years ago
FB1D6F62-7E5E-4D91-A14E-41A973F972BD (resized).jpegFB1D6F62-7E5E-4D91-A14E-41A973F972BD (resized).jpeg
#11139 3 years ago

This is my weak arm, Levi!

#11140 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm really shocked that there isn't more talk / excitement about a Who pin, that's pretty major IMO.

It was buried between fast food and bigfoot, nobody cares.

This is why companies only announce one title at a time.

#11141 3 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

It was buried between fast food and bigfoot, nobody cares.
This is why companies only announce one title at a time.

It really has been hard to parse through just everything they unofficially-officially announced. There's so much to like, dislike, and a lot of superfluous designs that raise more questions. Honestly, they probably did need a proper five day event to explain everything and let stuff marinate. It's a lot to take in at once (and Jeff did a great job compiling a very information dense article)

#11142 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you guys finally get the hammer-proof playfield clearcoat you always wanted, but it has the texture of a hormonal 12-year old's face.
Is that what you were looking for? Pretty hard to find any playfield defects when it comes pre-cratered.

Instead of 'orange peel' like they said in the TWIP article, say the playfield has a 'hammer finish' and list it as a feature.

#11143 3 years ago

Do we know for sure they even got the "Food Truck" License? Or is this just another "Predator" all over again??

#11144 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Do we know for sure they even got the "Food Truck" License? Or is this just another "Predator" all over again??

I wonder how many bar goers will be annoyed when they hear there is a food truck at a bar, but no...not that kind of food truck

#11145 3 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

[quoted image]
Apparently Lauren, Cary, Colin, Chris, Krystle, and myself suck at shilling since our feedback helped cause delay of the launch for the company we were supposed to be shilling for.

Ya'll need to work on your shilling skills.

#11146 3 years ago

Why’s everybody hating on food truck? Same thing as Diner.

#11147 3 years ago

Food Truck could be fun, but I'm holding out for Uber.

#11148 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

they're about the same as Sharknado and Jaws.

#11149 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Take note... the diner pin wasn’t released in the 50s... it was a retro concept in 1990.

No one is retro feeling food trucks.

2 - this isnt the era of location only pinball anymore. Titles need to sell to home buyers

#11150 3 years ago

I'm not hating on food truck. I think it's an original theme that is fairly originally and a broad enough concept that they can do a lot with the idea. I was always disappointed in how Dinner played vs what I thought it could have been, ie Overcooked.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 223 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/223?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.