Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 672.
#11001 3 years ago

It seems like most of their original game ideas are mostly re-imagining classics. Which is sorta neat.

#11002 3 years ago

They do have some innovative ideas. but the real question here is how much will they cost? I am guessing that these will cost so much that they will only be obtainable by the super rich.

#11003 3 years ago

As someone in the midst of her 2nd playfield swap project, I like the printed detail on the bottom of the playfield.

Can't say that "Food Truck" is a theme that really grabs my attention. Now, something based on the skills required to actually get the grocery stores to deliver the items you ordered...that's got potential. Hit the scoop to complain about the chicken breast being missing from your order, and it holds the ball for 8 to 93 minutes playing musak... that could make for some exciting tournament play.

#11004 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Hmm...now I need to decide between Food Truck and Punny Factory. Time for a poll!
Also, those gas lift shocks do not have great longevity. In a couple years, you'll be using a broomstick to prop that thing up.

How long before the thing guillotines some fingers off.

Every piece of this screams inexperienced engineering.

#11005 3 years ago

#11006 3 years ago

First multi-denominational religious pinball game. Yikes.

#11007 3 years ago

Something about trotting out your next titles before game #1 is out the door screams "Heighway Pinball" to me.

#11008 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

First multi-denominational religious pinball game. Yikes.

To be featured at Church youth centers everywhere!

#11010 3 years ago

Really weird panic mode reaction. Shame they didn't just state they're not where they want to be, and let people share all of this, as it looks pretty compelling to me!

#11011 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

FOOD TRUCK?!?!? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

Can you let me know when Multi-denominational Religious Pin and Food Truck arrive at Jackbar. I'll be there for happy hour.

#11012 3 years ago

Even if deeproot doesn't survive, I bet at least some of these innovations will. Get an A for effort.

#11013 3 years ago

I'm gonna sit this out guys. I simply can't make fun of these innovations as they are all going to change pinball forever and I'll end up looking stupid while all of the youth are clamoring to play pinball because there's an ipad on the lockdown bar. I hear the laughter over at Stern has turned into panic. Today is their Pearl Harbor. Black Tuesday. The Pinpocalypse.

Wake me up when I can play some "Food Truck." Hopefully they rename it "Roach Coach" for some added style points.

#11014 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

have a suggestion just a suggestion... how about we bag this thread and forget we ever heard the name DEEPROOT!

No. No. And hell no.

Deeproot would LOVE for you to forget this shitshow. JPOP would LOVE for you to forget every one of his shitshows. We all carry the albatross of our past. They need to carry this one around their neck forever.

#11015 3 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Even if deeproot doesn't survive, I bet at least some of these innovations will. Get an A for effort.

Like what? No way Stern copies the lockdown bar. JJP had a little apron screen on POTC to help tell the player what to aim for.

#11016 3 years ago

Help two diesel punk heroes take on the world's greatest threat in this dystopian thriller.

Can someone help me understand what a diesel punk hero is?

#11017 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Help two diesel punk heroes take on the world's greatest threat in this dystopian thriller.

Think Mad Max instead of Steam Punk

#11019 3 years ago

Waiting for future games Rock, and Potato.

#11020 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

That has the most appeal to me. I could care less about the Goonies

#11021 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Think Mad Max instead of Steam Punk

The aesthetic of that slide doesn't at all fit with DieselPunk.

#11022 3 years ago

Kids and the younger generations that live on their iPads will love the PinBar, nothing overtly innovative or exciting personally but the iPad generation will probably walk up to these if they get on site for the touch screen.

#11023 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

The aesthetic of that slide doesn't at all fit with DieselPunk.

Oh I agree. The slide has more of mystical sci-fi vibe of ancient machines built by long distant aliens

Maybe time travelers from an alternate history.

#11024 3 years ago

What about the mechanics, what about the toys, what about the real gameplay
Innovation.
There is no revolution other than online stuff of touch pads.
I really hope they will bring something new with their future title because RAZA was a bit limited.
Bring us real playfield innovation. I already have an iPad at home ....

#11025 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The very phrase "Fake News CNN" is a partisan rallying cry. I get enough of that in the rest of the world and do not welcome it here.

Hey Frisco still a whining baby I see ! truth hurts again?

#11026 3 years ago

I don't even know where to start. Okay, that's a lie, I'll start here: Food Truck.

Deerpoot will need its own wing of the pinball history museum.

#11027 3 years ago

The Who game and the pinball wizard theme could be pretty darn good if implemented well.

Food Truck and social media......nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

#11028 3 years ago
Quoted from TomT:

They are the Theranos of pinball and Robert is the new Elizabeth Holmes.
[quoted image]

Having read “Bad Blood” that is a stinging but hauntingly appropriate analogy it seems. At least on the surface.

#11029 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The Who game and the pinball wizard theme could be pretty darn good if implemented well.
Food Truck and social media......nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Because if there is one thing I know for sure, pinball people can't get enough of listening to Pinball Wizard

#11031 3 years ago

My prediction is they will finish RAZA, sell some, not a lot, there will be headaches operating it, they will sell the company (themes and development) to another manufacturer to cut their losses.

#11032 3 years ago

I actually like the tilt up glass - always wondered why Bally stopped using it. The list of things the games are supposed to do is decent enough.

That list of games is... interesting. Could be some good ones, but at first blush seems like some duds. I do support more original themes and I hope they play well and prove me wrong.

Not sure why they cancelled the announcement over this stuff. Pinside was always going to hate it and this cancellation just fueled the fire.

There’s some good ideas here, just need to be implemented well.

#11033 3 years ago
Quoted from Ace8Track:

My prediction is they will finish RAZA, sell some, not a lot, there will be headaches operating it, they will sell the company (themes and development) to another manufacturer to cut their losses.

Would they really have anything of value to sell?

#11034 3 years ago

Who the F is going to buy a Food Truck themed pinball?
Really? Are we being punked?

Overall it looks cool, some nice new innovations
A lot of reinventing the wheel that was not really needed/wanted
- but nothing that will push me to buy a game if the gameplay/theme is not there

#11035 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Would they really have anything of value to sell?

Some patents on stuff other companies probably aren't interested in. CAD files that likely won't be formatted the same way as another company's preferred system. No designers to actually explain any of the design work or where it was left off. And a bunch of software libraries written for Unity, which I don't think anyone else uses. Seems like they made plenty of concept artwork though

#11036 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

How is that glass system supposed to work for those who have low ceilings? I've seen some gamerooms where there is barely any room for toppers and this seems to need a lot more clearance.[quoted image]

Bally had something similar in the 70's with em pins like nip it. They abandoned that idea only after a few short years.

#11037 3 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

I heard Deeproot spent a lot of time getting patents for everything they developed so that might not be the case. However I'm sure Stern will do just fine without any of these innovations.

#11038 3 years ago

"We use a system of distribution boards, cables, and assemblies to eliminate nearly all soldering required when assembling the machine. This also substantially reduces complexity in maintaining and diagnosing machine issues."

This may explain some of the technical difficulties. No solder means the vibrations shook the connections loose.

#11039 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Who the F is going to buy a Food Truck themed pinball?
Really? Are we being punked?
Overall it looks cool, some nice new innovations
A lot of reinventing the wheel that was not really needed/wanted
- but nothing that will push be to buy a game if the gameplay/theme is not there

Theme doesn’t matter? Hasn’t that been already settled

I’m my mind it has. It’s Number 1

Seems like they are trying to fight the facts to me

#11040 3 years ago

I seriously hope Stern just gave all their employees a raise after this.

#11041 3 years ago

Everything shown here looks pretty great to me, and I can't wait to see more. Obviously they were too ambitious for their original time line and they should have handled this whole situation better (it shouldn't take people outside the company to realize your software keeps crashing). Really hope to see them succeed. I think Food Truck is a great original theme for a pin, personally. I love the videogame Overcooked, restaurant based games are inherently frantic which I think will translate to a pin perfectly (and obviously Diner's a classic). RAZA still looks like a blast to me, and if they do the traditional-backbox base-model for Stern Pro price (or less) I'm interested in buying one for sure. My girlfriend will most likely push for any Goonies machine they put out as well.

Just balancing out some of the negativity in here.

#11042 3 years ago

No mention of production capabilities

Themes suck on the surface

Seems to me you gotta be able to actually assemble games and put them in a box

How is that gonna happen?

Need to hear about “Goodwill Agreement” soon

#11043 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Some patents on stuff other companies probably aren't interested in. CAD files that likely won't be formatted the same way as another company's preferred system. No designers to actually explain any of the design work or where it was left off. And a bunch of software libraries written for Unity, which I don't think anyone else uses. Seems like they made plenty of concept artwork though

I have not seen any deeproot patents. They would be public if they existed.

#11044 3 years ago

I like some of their ideas, but sorting out all that stuff is imo at least gonna take another year of burning money...

#11046 3 years ago

Hmmm... where to start... OK, here is where I am going to start- Pinbar. NOPE, no, nada, just not going to happen for me... it may take off for the new iPad generation, but for us old sticks in the mud... no, just ... NO. I want my lockdown bars, smooth, rounded and nice to hold onto. I dont even remember the last time I even looked at the action button on a Stern, much lest staring at a screen down there.

Online connectivity. This is innovation looking for a problem to solve that is not a problem. In the days of connectivity, I can see wanting to add this to pinball, and all the "neet" things it supposedly brings to the table, but is it relying on universal wifi to connect? or is going to piggyback off the wifi available at the location? what if there isn't any wifi? ELB? cellular? CAT5? tin can and string? If your an operator, checking on your games remotely has it's draw, but won't that lead to just more broken and non-functioning pinball on site? It's hard enough as it is to get operators to maintain their equiptment on site, now let them know there is no reason to empty the coin box and see how much maintenance the machines get.

Future titles. Food truck? seriously? and watch out for those evil Roach coach competitors.. out to steal your customers... Barry, that is just weak sauce. Would hate to have been in the room for that pitch meeting. "The Who" OK, well every pin company needs a aging rock music band title, why not the kings of pinball rock? This would interest me if done well... But the other titles felt too much like old men trying to be or seem relevant to their young teenage daughter's friends and it doesn't go well, giving a more icky creepy vibe than actual titles that might interest me.

Back in the 90's when B/W were crushing it, the innovations we all looked for were expected on the playfield in the form of interaction with the ball. The player interaction needed no explanation, no LCD's to guide you to the end of the game, your UI is just two buttons (or 4 with Magnasave at times) and you knew exactly what to do- hit the ball, keep it out of the outlanes and drains. Does pinball need to be much more than that? imo I don't think so.

#11047 3 years ago

I believe they would be better to have delivered one game and not leak too much until the next games are ready.

Either way they're having an uphill battle.

#11048 3 years ago
Quoted from marlboroman:

Hey Frisco still a whining baby I see ! truth hurts again?

No need to be a Dick, Dick.

#11049 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have not seen any deeproot patents. They would be public if they existed.

They could be provisional patents which is common for new companies until they are granted. Provisionals are not published they are just timestamps on aspiring patents.

#11050 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

They could be provisional patents which is common for new companies until they are granted. Provisionals are not published they are just timestamps on aspiring patents.

PGPubs is 18 months unless they requested non-publication of any applications for patent. Weren’t they saying they filed for patents several years ago?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 221 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/221?hl=guiitarman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.