Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 672.
#1001 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Coming in here very late to this thread but it is very interesting. There are a good number of industry folk who appear to be involved. That certainly has me intrigued.

Don't be too intrigued. Every single one of them was out of work.

#1002 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't be too intrigued. Every single one of them was out of work.

I don't get why all these manufacturers are always bragging about hiring these old dudes that made games 20 or 30 years ago. I want to see new, young design talent discovered. They are out there, and you probably can pay them less than these old reheated design ideas from the same 5 people.

#1003 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I don't get why all these manufacturers are always bragging about hiring these old dudes that made games 20 or 30 years ago. I want to see new, young design talent discovered. They are out there, and you probably can pay them less than these old reheated design ideas from the same 5 people.

Probably because you can't afford to F up when you are spending millions of other people's $$$

Where is the "young new design talent" that understands pinball?

Probably making more $$ doing something else.

#1004 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Probably because you can't afford to F up when you are spending millions of other people's $$$

Stern is hiring people based not upon stuff they did 30 years ago, but on potential.

TNA is a huge hit and I've never heard of the guy who designed it before.

Deep Root is pinning it's hopes on Magic Girl, Gorgar 2 and Dr Dude 2 and AP brought the band back together for those of you who are big Lost in Space fans.

#1005 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Says you. Somewhere out there is a young talent working on his quad-spinning disks that's going to blow all of our minds.

#1006 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Every single one of them was out of work.

Sorry, not true.

ddt

#1007 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

AP brought the band back together for those of you who are big Lost in Space fans.

Levi, I know you have a dislike for Balcer's games, but at least pick a game that he worked on. That was a John Borg game. BTW, there are only a couple of guys here who worked at Sega, Joe and Jeff Busch, so, not sure why you continue with that same trope. Not sure how you can even compare Jeff Busch's art work on Houdini to what he did at Sega 20 years ago.

I've never done pinball before Houdini, our sound/music guy Matt Kern I believe did one game before Houdini, our new programmer Joe Schober, did one game before he joined us (Alien), so plenty of fresh blood at AP. You may not like Houdini, but evaluate AP for who we are now, and what we are doing, not based on where guys worked 20 years ago.

#1008 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

#1009 5 years ago

Anyone else curious, if they're releasing several titles at once, and only one is good, how that will affect sales of the others. Sure hope they have something decent lined up.

#1010 5 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Anyone else curious, if they're releasing several titles at once, and only one is good, how that will affect sales of the others. Sure hope they have something decent lined up.

That could be a problem the other direction. Say they release three games. All at the same time. What if all three are great games ? What if you have to choose one ?

Sure will be interesting. I hope what ever they unveil is great.

LTG : )

#1011 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern is hiring people based not upon stuff they did 30 years ago, but on potential.
TNA is a huge hit and I've never heard of the guy who designed it before.
Deep Root is pinning it's hopes on Magic Girl, Gorgar 2 and Dr Dude 2 and AP brought the band back together for those of you who are big Lost in Space fans.

Lets wait and see what they actually produce before getting all bent out of shape over nothing. It's called keeping an open mind!

Scott, Eric and Keith are all new designers doing a great job so far.

And i don't see DR being another retread pinball company, they appear to bringing new innovation to the pinball world. We know the sound/audio/animations are going to be off the charts with David and crew.

Oh btw, Stern is gonna sell 12k pins this year, mix in the tax cut and they can afford to hire "potential".

#1012 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Yeah, I remember some "young new talent" that did the initial code on X-Men.

Based on that experience, give me "these old dudes that made games 20 or 30 years ago."

#1013 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, I remember some "young new talent" that did the initial code on X-Men.

Brutal!

#1014 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wait!, what? You got shirt? Some kind of favoritism going on here, I didn’t even get a shirt from JPOP.. you are one of the lucky ones

YES, thanks to Buddy for securing it from the hands of Jpop and bringing it back to me!

RAZA (resized).jpgRAZA (resized).jpg

#1015 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

BTW, there are only a couple of guys here who worked at Sega, Joe and Jeff Busch

To be fair, Jim did too.

#1016 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I don't get why all these manufacturers are always bragging about hiring these old dudes that made games 20 or 30 years ago.

Because those old guys know there shit and there is no substitute for experience. They are literally legends of the pinball industry, the best of the best. If something were to happen to all of those guys at once and Stern hired all young guys to replace them, it would not go well for Stern or us their customers either one trust me. The company would fold.

#1017 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If something were to happen to all of those guys at once and Stern hired all young guys to replace them, it would not go well for Stern or us their customers either one trust me. The company would fold.

that's make a lot of sense. Just like Apple folded after Steve Jobs kicked the bucket.....

#1018 5 years ago
Quoted from singapore_pin:

that's make a lot of sense. Just like Apple folded after Steve Jobs kicked the bucket.....

Apples and oranges dude, you cant even compare the two.

#1019 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Apples and oranges dude, you cant even compare the two.

Yes, i can! Iron Maiden and TNA are the best examples. It is raining money for Stern and Spooky........We will miss the old fellas but will have little impact on the hobby.

#1020 5 years ago

Yes, i can! Iron Maiden and TNA are the best examples. It is raining money for Stern and Spooky........We will miss the old fellas but will have little impact on the hobby.

When one of those old guys is Jpop then there is concern. What has he ever done right in pinball?

#1021 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

When one of those old guys is Jpop then there is concern. What has he ever done right in pinball?

Right Flippers, right outlanes, right ramps...

#1022 5 years ago

Wich is exactly what happened after firing him 1985.

#1023 5 years ago

There will always be a "new school"vs "old school" mentality in many industries. I think a smart company would have a mix of the two! This way you maintain wisdom and a somewhat older view of certain task at hand but also have a forward progressive thinking team that has a connection with the current pulse of society. Should be able to cover a wide spectrum with this type of team.

#1024 5 years ago

Which is why JPOP will likely be successful once again in this field, he needs to be managed. Give him creative license (within reason) and let others handle operations, ok well... everything else.

1 week later
#1025 5 years ago

Wow, did I shut this thread down with mention of JPOP?

#1026 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Wow, did I shut this thread down with mention of JPOP?

Because he is awful for Pinball and no one will buy any future games he is associated with.

#1027 5 years ago

If they ship an awesome next generation pinball machine merging modern GPU's, network connectivity and classic pinball, with world class service and support, I don't care who they have on staff.

It just comes down to how awesome they make their pinball machines. And how awesome their themes are. How they support customers.

It's already a win that they aren't using customers to fund the company.

#1028 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

If they ship an awesome next generation pinball machine merging modern GPU's, network connectivity and classic pinball, with world class service and support, I don't care who they have on staff.
It just comes down to how awesome they make their pinball machines. And how awesome their themes are. How they support customers.
It's already a win that they aren't using customers to fund the company.

Only because that model is dead. Jpop is toxic.

#1029 5 years ago

How do we even know if JPOP will even survive at deeproot? Robert has already talked about "tough love" conversations.

How many of you "not going to buy from any company associated with that toxic designer" would change their mind if JPOP was no longer with the company?

#1030 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Only because that model is dead. Jpop is toxic.

Ok. But what about the 30 other people working there pouring their heart into a new machine?

One bad apple doesn’t influence my overall opinion of a company.

#1031 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lets wait and see what they actually produce before getting all bent out of shape over nothing. It's called keeping an open mind!

Oh yeah, when I think "pinside" I DEFINITELY think "open minds."

I still can't believe these guys are bringing Jpop back.

#1032 5 years ago

I plan on entering deep root's giveaways and if no one wants to sign up for John's pin, I might win it.

#1033 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Ok. But what about the 30 other people working there pouring their heart into a new machine?
One bad apple doesn’t influence my overall opinion of a company.

I do not care. If Jpop is on the payroll, I will not support them. If a company emoyed someone who did harm to you, would you support them?

#1034 5 years ago

Hiring JPop comes with a lot of baggage. If they offer a serious olive branch to JPops victims, it would go a long way towards putting that mess behind them. If they offer nothing then the deeproot bashing will follow them for a long time...

#1035 5 years ago

Kick ass Deeproot !

I'm on mushroom with you

LOVE

ALICE

I would like that special trip

#1036 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I do not care. If Jpop is on the payroll, I will not support them. If a company emoyed someone who did harm to you, would you support them?

They are employing someone who did harm to me. JPOP screwed me out of my money for RAZA! Deeproot hired him and they are going to give me a free game for my lost money. You're damn right I'm going to support them.

Quoted from Rondogg:

Hiring JPop comes with a lot of baggage. If they offer a serious olive branch to JPops victims, it would go a long way towards putting that mess behind them. If they offer nothing then the deeproot bashing will follow them for a long time...

What's a bigger olive branch than assuming ownership of JPOP's pissed off customers, and giving them a free game?

Other than Pisiders needing something to be pissed about, I just don't get the angst here. If they hired JPOP and said F U to previous owners by asking them to buy one of his new games, I would totally get it. But that's not what they're doing. They're building games without taking money from anyone (whether that's successful or not remains to be seen) and in the process they're giving restitution to the people John screwed over. What the hell is there in that to be upset about?

#1037 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What's a bigger olive branch than assuming ownership of JPOP's pissed off customers, and giving them a free game?
Other than Pisiders needing something to be pissed about, I just don't get the angst here. If they hired JPOP and said F U to previous owners by asking them to buy one of his new games, I would totally get it. But that's not what they're doing. They're building games without taking money from anyone (whether that's successful or not remains to be seen) and in the process they're giving restitution to the people John screwed over. What the hell is there in that to be upset about?

I agree with you. Nothing to lose really. But this is like the 3rd JOP Savior to come along so try to temper your hopes..

Charlie-Brown-Football- (resized).jpgCharlie-Brown-Football- (resized).jpg
#1038 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

They are employing someone who did harm to me. JPOP screwed me out of my money for RAZA! Deeproot hired him and they are going to give me a free game for my lost money. You're damn right I'm going to support them.

They never said they are giving free games, did they?

#1039 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

In twip interview Deeproot was said to be giving one of each designers pins away "for free". I think some of of the paid in full people get a Deeproot game in "exchange" for their financial loss.

#1040 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

They are offering a game, games or cash to past JPOP customers, depending on the amount given to JPOP.

If anyone is interested in the exact terms Deep Root is offering to past JPOP customers, the information is public. See link below.

https://zidware.deeproottech.com/

#1041 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

In twip interview Deeproot was said to be giving one of each designers pins away "for free". I think some of of the paid in full people get a Deeproot game in "exchange" for their financial loss.

Just to clarify, deeproot plans to give away one of each designers pins as part of the monthly This Week in Pinball Giveaway Extravaganzas (info here: https://thisweekinpinball.com/new-giveaways-for-august-first-twip-le-emails/).

That is completely separate from the Goodwill Terms for Zidware customers, where deeproot is offering credits towards deeproot games based on how much $$ Zidware customers were owed, if that makes sense. As Jvspin said, more info can be found here: https://zidware.deeproottech.com/

#1042 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Um, how?
Their electric cars? The CO2 footprint of the average Tesla is so high (due to the large capacity Lithium-Ion batteries) that you have to do huge mileages for years to emit less CO2 overall than an average family car over the same period.
For the average owner, it's multiples worse. As of now, pure ICEs, mild hybrids, or small city-type electric cars are vastly 'greener' and more sustainable. In terms of environmental impact and resources expended, Teslas are the most burdensome cars on the planet.

Citations please, or I call bullshit.

Those batteries have a massive lifecycle - they're expected to be used for decades after they're taken out of the car for other uses.

#1043 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Citations please, or I call bullshit.
Those batteries have a massive lifecycle - they're expected to be used for decades after they're taken out of the car for other uses.

I refer to the highly liberal-leaning Forbes magazine, which says the footprint of manufacturing the car (slightly more than the manufacture of a traditional petroleum engine) is dramatically and several-orders-of-magnitude outweighed by the CO2 savings of not using gas to power the car over its lifetime.

#1044 5 years ago

How did the tesla thread get criss-crossed into the deeproot thread?

#1045 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I refer to the highly liberal-leaning Forbes magazine, which says the footprint of manufacturing the car (slightly more than the manufacture of a traditional petroleum engine) is dramatically and several-orders-of-magnitude outweighed by the CO2 savings of not using gas to power the car over its lifetime.

Oh, that rag. Their conclusions are debunked here, I assume you will trust Popular Mechanics as a fair source:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/news/a27039/tesla-battery-emissions-study-fake-news/

Back to the topic of deeproot, I for one hope they do great stuff and shake the industry up.

The only hard limit I can think of is the software. Throwing people at the software side of the problem will just make it take longer.

Does anyone know if they're using something like P-ROC or developing their own system from scratch? AP is using P-ROC, aren't they?

#1046 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

Oh, that rag. Their conclusions are debunked here, I assume you will trust Popular Mechanics as a fair source:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/news/a27039/tesla-battery-emissions-study-fake-news/
Back to the topic of deeproot, I for one hope they do great stuff and shake the industry up.
The only hard limit I can think of is the software. Throwing people at the software side of the problem will just make it take longer.
Does anyone know if they're using something like P-ROC or developing their own system from scratch? AP is using P-ROC, aren't they?

Awesome link; that supports the Forbes article
Perfectly!

Fully agree on the software front. Yes, AP is using P-roc. Makes total sense to me to move to a common platform - my only tiny complaint about P-ROC is the boot time. Otherwise it is pretty easy to develop against and very lightweight which is awesome!

#1047 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Hey now they are giving me a big FU in that those of us who took Jpop to court got the big FU treatment. Then Jpop counter sues because he claims if he had gotten the full money from everyone that he could have made the games. I'm sorry but Im not buying any of this free game crap.

#1048 5 years ago

when will the deeproot tote bags come out?

#1050 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Then Jpop counter sues because he claims if he had gotten the full money from everyone that he could have made the games.

What an asshole.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/21?hl=grimdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.