Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 213 of 672.
#10601 3 years ago

My big worry is for anybody who has a Stern game on order.

I would think with everybody doubled over in laughter over at Stern for this entire week not much is going to get done over there for a while. Could cause serious disruptions in the supply chain

#10602 3 years ago

Remember how much complaining people did about the Thunderbirds FLIPPER BUTTONS hurting them?

#10603 3 years ago

Way too much effort in reinventing the wheel
That screen on the lockdown bar looks like it could be very distracting

#10604 3 years ago

a second (mirrored) display in the front is a long overdue improvement. but for gods sake, not this way.

#10605 3 years ago

Not just Stellar Wars.. I experienced the WMS lockbar of pain with Laser Ball.

Problem ain't just with the corners here though. People slam their fists on lockbars in frustration all the time. Bangbacks and deathsaves. Spilled beer. That thing won't last a month on location. SMH...

#10606 3 years ago

I don't get the stilts on the head, they look dumb. I don't want to see the wall behind my pins through my games. Lose that and it's better imo. Too much different to try and be different. It's the dumb Jpop effect all over again. Spend time on the hinges and not getting the game working.

Different year, different company, same Jpop. Some things will never change.

deeproot-no-stilts (resized).jpgdeeproot-no-stilts (resized).jpg

#10607 3 years ago

So... If the person before uses the apron screen as a coaster and spills their beer, I won't be able to start a new game.

#10608 3 years ago

The backbox with the wrap around image is VERY cool (art is OK)

But it would look better if the display/speaker area was attached directly to it instead of that second gap. Jpop may be obsessed with retro toasters and art deco but it's beyond obsolete from a design standpoint.

I like the crotch speakers. You could play voice clips there to better help the player.

Game itself doesn't look changed from Houston.

#10609 3 years ago
Quoted from mr9865:

A dialed back version could have a small screen on the left side of the apron that could be cool

I know Spooky had some mods that would put a little LCD screen where the rule card goes. That's a great minor innovation for onboarding new players.

#10610 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't get the stilts on the head, they look dumb. I don't want to see the wall behind my pins through my games. Lose that and it's better imo. Too much different to try and be different. It's the dumb Jpop effect all over again. Spend time on the hinges and not getting the game working.
[quoted image]

Aurich, man this is like old times. The band is back together.

#10611 3 years ago

Check out the movie style credits at the bottom of the translite

#10612 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

But a freakin' screen, right in the middle of the lockdown bar? Oof. Bet operators will LOVE the bill for that one!

Well, I mean it looks recessed a bit, so that lip may be a good spot to place my beer...

#10613 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

They did change the ramp and the ball return in front of the sling has been revised

#10614 3 years ago

OK now that the pointing and laughing is starting to subside lets get into pointless tech speculation:

I guess that lockdown bar/rails/glass come up in one piece like on Fireball '72? Or is that hulking monstrosity of a lockdown bar/touch screen separate?

#10615 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Well, I mean it looks recessed a bit, so that lip may be a good spot to place my beer...

It's almost as though.....how does someone NOT place a beer there? It looks like it was made to hold beer steady...

#10616 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I just cannot stop laughing!I thought Thunderbirds was bad This makes Thunderbirds look like game of the year.
I feel really bad for all the people waiting for a game. Bankruptcy next.

It still looks better than thunderbirds. Just wear oven mitts when you play it and the palm bruising won't be too bad.

#10617 3 years ago

wouldn't like to be a TD having to get a stuck ball - this is a JPOP game!!

#10618 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

[quoted image]

Yup bingo. Your drawing is much better... And would be cheaper too.

#10619 3 years ago

It took me a good hour or so to get caught up on this thread. What a train wreck, but I expected it.

#10620 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK now that the pointing and laughing is starting to subside lets get into pointless tech speculation:
I guess that lockdown bar/rails/glass come up in one piece like on Fireball '72? Or is that hulking monstrosity of a lockdown bar/touch screen separate?

Maybe the screen is part of the apron assemble. Take off the lock bar and pull it up like normal. Otherwise they'd have to deal with extra connectors being constantly being unplugged and replugged.

Of course if it's a touch screen, then it get's more complicated.

#10621 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Aurich, man this is like old times. The band is back together.

That's it for me, I don't feel right saying anything else with who I know at the company. Wish them the best.

But the stilts are dumb, and letting the image of your game when everyone is waiting for ANYTHING be some random photo with the display off and no staging is just bizarre. FFS, at least put a little effort into salvaging what you have. I had to photoshop it see for myself so figured I'd at least share.

#10622 3 years ago

So is this pin connected to the internet?

9FA92509-54F0-40B2-8B89-53DD39E7560F (resized).png9FA92509-54F0-40B2-8B89-53DD39E7560F (resized).png
#10623 3 years ago

The wraparound getting rid of lame ass T molding is a blessing .I can’t understand for the life of me how company’s seem to always screw up T molding colors .

#10624 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

[quoted image]

Could be a blue extension cord for all we know.

#10625 3 years ago

[quoted image]

They can't even get a pin made. Priorities.

It's probably just a cable in a conference room or it's communicating with the game because it's a proto cabinet without a PC.

#10626 3 years ago

It took them years and a failed launch to come up with this? Fucking laughable.

#10627 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Definitely looks like a cassette just like Full Throttle.

#10628 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But the stilts are dumb

They're too thin. With the way players slam games around and shake them, they won't last. Unless those are titanium or thick steel stilts, I could see one of these RAZA heads bending or even snapping off. They have to be hollow for wiring, so how thick are the metal walls?

Put one on location with a loose tilt and see how long the stilts (and lockbar) last. Or is this a home-only game?

#10629 3 years ago

[quoted image]

They were on a LAN at the Houston show and the entire display system was running Unity3d. Network connectivity comes standard on most COTS setups, so just run a jack to the cabinet.

#10630 3 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Check out the movie style credits at the bottom of the translite

"Directed by MUELLER", top billing. At least he's taking ownership of it!

#10631 3 years ago

Maybe the mid n upper tiers come with stainless ramps?

#10632 3 years ago

So is this pin connected to the internet

I had my RFM connected to the internet in 1999. Nothing to see here

#10633 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The backbox with the wrap around image is VERY cool (art is OK)
But it would look better if the display/speaker area was attached directly to it instead of that second gap. Jpop may be obsessed with retro toasters and art deco but it's beyond obsolete from a design standpoint.
I like the crotch speakers. You could play voice clips there to better help the player.

Don't you tink that whole backbox thing is an optional "slide in" addon?

If you don't have it, you'd still have the lockbar display and the crotch speakers. - At least that would EXPLAIN the crotch speakers. XD

#10634 3 years ago

Didn’t Kaneda say there would be 3 different models. I would guess the lockdown bar could be different on the various models

#10635 3 years ago

All the game is missing is some leg bolt spikes to give it that finished look.

In all seriousness, that lockdown bar screen has got to be one of the worst ideas ever. Besides durability concerns it doesn't seem like you want to have more surface areas to touch while playing on route during a Global Pandemic. I can't imagine all of the hand sanitizers and cleaners are going to be good for that screen.

#10636 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

If you don't have it, you'd still have the lockbar display and the crotch speakers. - At least that would EXPLAIN the crotch speakers. XD

Wow this makes so much sense!

#10637 3 years ago

You don't even need the head...speakers and display on the body. There is your $5000 pro.

#10638 3 years ago

Does “beta event” mean a bunch of pinball media types played it and told them it needed a lot of drawing board time still, in the eve of launch? That thing is weird.

#10639 3 years ago

NOW 213 pages on a company that hasn’t produced a single game and can’t even produce a single scheduled reveal of a game.

Who would trust this company to ship to you??? I can see it now... another year from now you see the reveal finally. Then you place your order and they tell you exactly when the game will ship only to find out that date is delayed another 6 months, then three years later the game shows up.

As for the pictures shown... I don’t like the unnecessary “Innovation” to the back box. It looks awkward at best. I also don’t like what I assume is speakers on the front of the game it looks horrible. I don’t know what is on the apron I’m assuming its a screen ... the way its framed in makes it look like a toaster. Looks bad. Why white buttons on a purple game that looks bad. You have three years to get it right and you can’t. Ouch.

One thing I totally don’t get is why this game isn’t powder coated after waiting three years.

I like the artwork if that is any consolation but I don’t like how they game themselves a credit on the back glass. WHAT? No one cares who designed the game look at Stern they might add that in a card on the apron but these arrogant people made it front and center. It’s a constant reminder every time you play the game who made it produced it... I think that is a huge mistake.

#10640 3 years ago

I could see deeproot having the hubris to offer multiple cabinet packages on their games. Why not add a few more SKU's to keep track of? Why not further complicate manufacturing lines and product supply lines? It's all meaningless so far, YOLO

#10641 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Do companies still put a couple prototype machines out on location to get feedback from players in the development stage? That and bringing protos to shows and listening to the feedback seemed like a pretty valuable tool in developing a game for market. I remember JJP bringing the proto WOZ to the NW Pinball and Arcade Show and their team really listening to what people said, American did the same thing with their proto Houdini and they hung around the whole show talking to players and listening to their feedback. It seem like a good way to get more eyes and fingers on a game and make sure it's ready for primetime before finalizing it.

I am a firefighter in Melrose Park, Stern used to be located in Melrose Park and they would always bring a prototype pin for us to play, then at least once a week they would come in and change out the roms and collect data. True story

#10642 3 years ago

5 surround sound

#10643 3 years ago

#10644 3 years ago

I don't understand why they spend so much time on the cabinets. It never occurred to me that cabinets needed innovation (unless you could make the games lighter somehow). the last one stern did moving the on/off switch to the head was a bust IMO. i don't need more screens, I barely can look at them when I am playing. Instead, improving playfield quality and lighting, visual keys on what to hit, reliability of mechs and some in-game whiz-bang innovations are where the focus needs to be.

#10645 3 years ago

One week ago - simpler times

3685F4F3-CD7B-4254-B294-FBF088DA3D69 (resized).png3685F4F3-CD7B-4254-B294-FBF088DA3D69 (resized).png
#10646 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

You don't even need the head...speakers and display on the body. There is your $5000 pro.

And you could still buy it aftermarket. Or switch them between machines, maybe while one ist stored (and taking less space).

At least it's not a horrible idea; if people would accept it is a different question.

#10647 3 years ago

The lockdown bar area looks like a 6th grader was told to “reinvent pinball” for his Science Fair project. And sure, I guess the giant wraparound art is cool and all, but that doesn’t really feel like a huge technological advancement. It feels like a little tweak on the age-old boring head design.

*shrug* meh. I dunno.

#10648 3 years ago

Despite all the negativity in this post, I honestly think it looks pretty good. I'm not going to rail on something that I haven't tried. I'm a little tired of the same old/same old in pinball, so this would nice step forward possibly. Now whether any of the games actually get produced or what not (or even if it's any good), I don't know, but at least they're trying something.

#10649 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

No, there's no way a company obsessed with "art above all else" would forgo a backbox.

If they have 4 channel sound it would make a LOT of sense to put the callouts and directive speech on the 2 front speakers. It's a very good idea and makes sense since they seem super-obsessed with story as well.

But end of the day it's a JPOP clunker turd. deepRoot put all their eggs in the same basket case.

#10650 3 years ago

There is no flipping way the head is the optional part. The lockdown part seems like the expensive fluff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
There are 33,559 posts in this topic. You are on page 213 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/213?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.