• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 669.
#9601 3 years ago

DR has had the designer talent to make great pinball machines.

Setting aside code, animations and sound, do they have the ability and money to manufacture enough pins effectively and efficiently?

When they announce a game clearly you gotta keep the line moving. Can’t JJP it.

David Thiel is a huge asset. They need to have the sound as good as Alien, best audio by far of any pin.

Management matters

#9602 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

3 cornerstones a year. Rest don’t count.

Why not? Stern is still the one who builds the contract games.

#9603 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern has been doing this 5 times a year for a decade

And then waiting for updates, playfields,quality control issues

#9604 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

just released: the 'hammer tester' audition tapes.
who do you think got the job?
===============================
1] the moonlighting maitre d'
2] iron man
3] the big wind up
4] lumberjack wannabe
5] dust in the wind

You forgot 6] Gallagher watermelon....

#9605 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Boutique games - not what they are known for.

When we compare AP, Spooky, JJP and say they don’t compare to the Stern manufacturing machine we are really talking about “the big high volume manufacturing machine”.

No one is in Stern’s league today.

Of course that doesn’t mean boutique manufacturers can’t innovate or sell a few machines occasionally.

#9606 3 years ago
Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

For what it's worth, deeproot hinted and more than one game:
comment: "Ohhh.. this is not end well... you don’t even have 1 game out... It’s like watching a mouse that wants to fight the elephant... be careful what you wish for!!!"
deeproot: "Luca Varriale there are more mice than you probably think."

You changed the name of the poster in your quote.

#9607 3 years ago

Discounting the extra 1000 ( ? Probably more ) EXTRA games stern produces a year on top of their three cornerstone titles is silly . It’s thatmany more games a year they churn out . In other words - on top top of their three tier cornerstone games they also have the capacity to double all other manufacturers output just in extra boutique games . They are a manufacturing juggernaut. I like other pins as well and want all other companies to succeed but any argument saying some of what one company produces doesn’t count is just silly .

#9608 3 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

You forgot 6] Gallagher watermelon....

Jim Adler is the obvious choice. He's already in Texas!

#9609 3 years ago

They changed their website. Still very much under construction but it looks like they have a working contact form now.

#9611 3 years ago

In the next year were gonna have new games by Oursler, Nordman, and papaduik. This is a win for our hobby. I'm hoping for the best. If the owner has a big mouth so what, he's putting three great designers back to work, at thier best destiny. Making new pins.

#9612 3 years ago

Some of the GREATEST pins ever designed were very late and worth waiting for!
Games like " THUNDERBIRDS" for example

#9613 3 years ago

They better deliver on Monday or I snatch a BKSoR while they‘re run and am broke for the near future.

#9614 3 years ago

From my own personal experience, when a pinball company shows nothing, and relies heavily on the very last marketing option - the teaser, then something is very wrong. For HP it was getting the games to actually function as they were supposed to, and just making sure what left the factory wouldn't break within a few days of ownership.

Far beyond sound guys, artists and coders....the mechanical and electrical engineers are the real beating heart of pinball game design. HP cut corners in this department and it cost them dearly.

Hell, I can code, create art and design audio packages for games, I do it every day. But could I design a circuit board and create complex mechanical toys? No way.

No one can match Stern, they've earned their place at the top with decades of experience in this field. They constantly drop the ball with coding simply because their output is remarkably fast.

You wanna make large mechanical toys with blinking lights? You go shopping for the best (experienced) engineers money can buy.

#9615 3 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I'm a potential customer and I'm waiting to see if deeproot reveals something interesting. As much as I like comic style, I sure as hell don't need another avengers type pin in my lineup.
Would blow people's minds if they really had a stockpile of pins ready to ship at reveal. Best of luck deeproot.

A Stern is a Stern is a Stern. With JJ only putting out a game every year and a half, we need another company to crank them out for variety alone. I'm all for hoping they'll shake things up.

#9616 3 years ago

I'm not sure why people feel the need to compare the newer companies to Stern, what we want is alternatives to Stern for more variety and innovation, not more of the same.

#9617 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm not sure why people feel the need to compare the newer companies to Stern, what we want is alternatives to Stern for more variety and innovation, not more of the same.

Yeeeessssssss!

e1e-1 (resized).pnge1e-1 (resized).png
#9618 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

In the next year were gonna have new games by Oursler, Nordman, and papaduik.

Are we? I bet not

#9619 3 years ago

I'm willing to take a bet on that.

365 days from now we will have three "new" (in Jpop's case that's a bit of a stretch) titles from old 90s wash ups to choose from, available to ship, proudly bearing the famous puckered butthole Deep Root Crest?

Surely that's a bottle 'o booze bet waiting to happen.

#9620 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Up-Vote posted and I agree with your sentiment. But it's been Deeproot themselves that has targeted Stern for comparison and have done so since the very beginning.

#9621 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

But it has been Deeproot themselves that has targeted Stern for comparison and have done so since the very beginning.

I agree. I remember when Star Trek:The Next Generation premiered, and they claimed that they didn't want to be compared to the original series. Well you can't use that name (and expect to inherit those fans) and then ask to not be compared.

Deeproot started with the idea of "we can be a better/bigger company than Stern" and "deliver more/better games than Stern" because "pinball is easy".

I suspect at this point if they could ship half the games that Stern does (in units OR titles), they'd take that as a big win.

#9622 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

I suspect at this point if they could ship half the games that Stern does (in units OR titles), they'd take that as a big win.

That would be 9,000 pins roughly. They are a LONG, LONG ways away from that.

#9623 3 years ago

Not only since the beginning, this was posted 3 days ago on their Facebook page.

Deeproot (resized).pngDeeproot (resized).png

#9624 3 years ago

I just want to see something new, different and cool. I dont really plan on ever buying any more new pinball machines, but I would sure be interested in playing something with a new twist.
Hell, Id absolutely even play Punny Factory if I saw it in an arcade. So Im pulling for these guys to deliver some innovative new ideas.

#9625 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Hell, Id absolutely even play Punny Factory if I saw it in an arcade.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

#9626 3 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

I just want to see something new, different and cool. I dont really plan on ever buying any more new pinball machines, but I would sure be interested in playing something with a new twist.
Hell, Id absolutely even play Punny Factory if I saw it in an arcade. So Im pulling for these guys to deliver some innovative new ideas.

That’s just taking it to far....

#9627 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Are we? I bet not

I'm in (but Popadiuk, not Papaduik), the next 365 days, starting September 20th.

What are we betting for?

#9628 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

I think we are years from that happening.

#9629 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

In the next year were gonna have new games by Oursler, Nordman, and papaduik. This is a win for our hobby. I'm hoping for the best. If the owner has a big mouth so what, he's putting three great designers back to work, at thier best destiny. Making new pins.

Am I the only one that is most excited to see what Jon Norris is working on.

#9630 3 years ago

I forgot Jon was working for them . I , too want to see his next title. He definately has some good games under his belt.

#9631 3 years ago

Man after just watching that Avengers premium stream by JD i sure hope DR brings it because that game is sick in a great way!

#9632 3 years ago

Sorry, forgot Jon Norris, him too! 4 games, 4 classic designers? Make that 16 months.
Remember this is thier BEST DESTINY, making new pins.
I'll buy us all a round of strawberry mojito's, at the Hilton, next TPF, god knows when.

#9633 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Why??

Spooky has built some contract games, but does not call those "Spooky" titles.

Also on another topic, to me Gary comes across as far more arrogant than Robert... no contest from what I've noticed. I digress.

#9634 3 years ago

I dreamt I was on the Deeproot reveal and that I met the Pope in a parking lot.

It COULD happen...

#9635 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Also on another topic, I notice Gary comes across as far more arrogant than Robert... no contest from what I've noticed.

I've always found Gary to be nice and more than willing to chat or talk pinball.

LTG : )

#9636 3 years ago

Dr gonzo says... always carry little airline bottles of vodka at pin shows. You never know.....

#9637 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I've always found Gary to be nice and more than willing to chat or talk pinball.
LTG : )

Fair call. Perhaps it makes a point about perception... I have not met either of them.

What one perceives from secondhand "reports" may be different than the reality I suppose, sometimes. (:

#9638 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Dr gonzo says... always carry little airline bottles of vodka at pin shows. You never know.....

I just drink the handsanitizer

#9639 3 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

I just drink the handsanitizer

People actually do this and some have died...

#9640 3 years ago

After becoming emotionally numb the past year or so, I have to admit my excitement for this reveal has been awakened.
Hurry Monday

#9641 3 years ago

Revelation in 5...

#9642 3 years ago

Are we all in agreement that the announcement or whatever that they have planned will (likely) be strictly in regards to RAZA?

#9643 3 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

Are we all in agreement that the announcement or whatever that they have planned will (likely) be strictly in regards to RAZA?

I'd not count on more games then Raza but I sure hope they do show off some of their general innovations as planned.

That'd be interresting even if Raza is not a game you care for.

#9644 3 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

People actually do this and some have died...

...the rest were proven alcoholics and just thirsty.

#9645 3 years ago

Any guesses as to the ‘80s movie theme the K-man mentioned today on his podcast that Deeproot has supposedly secured the license for? He said it’s as big as Ghostbusters. That’s a pretty big theme.

#9646 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Any guesses as to the ‘80s movie theme the K-man mentioned today on his podcast that Deeproot has supposedly secured the license for? He said it’s as big as Ghostbusters. That’s a pretty big theme.

Robert likes Battlestar Galactica.

Regarding "as big as Ghostbusters", I highly doubt Deeproot has BTTF and there is no such an active community and merchandise machinery like with Ghostbusters for any other 80's license I can think of.

#9647 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Fair call. Perhaps it makes a point about perception... I have not met either of them.
What one perceives from secondhand "reports" may be different than the reality I suppose, sometimes. (:

I've met Gary and Jersey Jack at the NW Pinball and Arcade Show a couple times over the years, but were super friendly and nice. But I have to say, almost all the industry folks I've met at shows have been in show mode and super friendly, when it gets down to business, pushing production, marketing and market share, I expect they are all pretty tough and know how to play hardball.

#9648 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

On par with Ghostbusters would be something like ET, Back to the Future, Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, Ferris Bueller, Die Hard and the Karate Kid.

#9649 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

On par with Ghostbusters would be something like ET, Back to the Future, Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, Ferris Bueller, Die Hard and the Karate Kid.

Cobra Kai has been in the Top 10 on Netflix for ages...

#9650 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Not in every regard.

How many people go to cons dressed as ET, or how many merch stuff is pumping out every other week for Ferris Bueller?

Ghostbusters and BTTF got their own Lego and Playmobil line and lot's of replica stuff, shirts and whatnot.

But yeah, Die Hard is still a kinda "active" franchise and Top Gun at least gets a new movie so...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Midlothian, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,444 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/193?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.