• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 669.
#9201 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

In their defense, I don't think AP had any idea what they were stepping into when they hired Jpop. They were not pinball people, and they weren't aware of the history. What excuse did Deeproot have?

Managing Jpop is easy.

#9202 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

but to be honest this new "vague" countdown (or maybe it is only a reveal of a date that leads to a new countdown?) is getting a bit tiring.

I agree. A slow reveal of the START of a countdown is just

#9203 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This just up!
[quoted image]

This is just getting stupid.

If deeproot really wants us to take them seriously we need to see facts, not puzzles.

#9204 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

we need to see facts, not puzzles

Fact is their last promise is to release (RAZA) in September 2020.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Managing Jpop is easy.

JPOP needs a staff to realise his ideas. He is brilliant in his ideas and vision and magic but the realisation of that is and has always been the work of others. Thats what AP did not understand a big mistake of them. RM did understand and you saw his influence on JPOP in the expo conference. There JPOP said how thankful he is and how much he learns from the staff that realises and build his ideas and that he learned to closely communicate with them what and how hard and expensive something is to realise. I (also) dont think the delay is JPOP´s fault its nobodys fault the fault was RMs false promises.

#9205 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

JPOP needs a staff to realise his ideas. He is brilliant in his ideas and vision and magic but the realisation of that is and has always been the work of others.

Great...so you are putting this scatterbrained "visionary" in charge of Deep Root's design division? BRILLIANT!

From what we saw, RAZA is obviously another terrible Jpop game with serious design flaws, which really shouldn't be surprising to anybody who has been paying attention for the past 25 years.

Jpop is the ultimate in fool's gold; you are salivating over the prospect of more Jpop junk and you don't even know why. HIs games are mostly bad, he's produced relatively few of them, his reputation and whatever success he's had exists due to the work of others, and he's a nightmare to work with. Great guy to build your nascent pinball company around.

#9206 3 years ago

Is this counting down to the date they will reveal the date the 5 days of deeproot will begin?

#9207 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Is this counting down to the date they will reveal the date the 5 days of deeproot will begin?

Nope. The "9" stands for 9 years since the first "Zombie Adventureland" announcement (February 17th, 2012). So only one more year before the splash starts. Stand by. . . Almost there . . .

#9208 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

In their defense, I don't think AP had any idea what they were stepping into when they hired Jpop. They were not pinball people, and they weren't aware of the history. What excuse did Deeproot have?

Oh, absolutely. Once they learned of JPOP and his ripping off of the community, they dropped him like a bad habit. Not sure what DP excuse is.

#9209 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Oh, absolutely. Once they learned of JPOP and his ripping off of the community, they dropped him like a bad habit. Not sure what DP excuse is.

Pretty sure it was the box of lights they were forced to show off at Expo. I still feel bad for them about that. It did not flip, had no cabinet. Literally a box of lights. Not sure if it got turned into Magic Girl or just trashed or what. Sure looks a hell of a lot like a modified Theater of Magic though.

#9210 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Pretty sure it was the box of lights they were forced to show off at Expo. I still feel bad for them about that. It did not flip, had no cabinet. Literally a box of lights. Not sure if it got turned into Magic Girl or just trashed or what.

Say what you will but I Wish that version of Houdini made it. Love it.

#9211 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Say what you will but I Wish that version of Houdini made it. Love it.

Could have been a good game, I'm sure - but at the time, it sure as hell wasn't. The art is cool though! Who did that? ZombieYeti?

#9212 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This just up!
[quoted image]

If underpants is a reference to Sponge Bob Square pants I'm in!!!!

#9213 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Relevant-
Super 3-D Noah's Ark for the SNES. An unlicensed Bible adventure... unlicensed doom clone for the Super Nintendo.
Warning: Narrator language.

wolf3d not doom

#9214 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jpop is the ultimate in fool's gold

There are many who don´t "get" the JPOP magic and you are obviously one of them. You are like my uncle he also does not see the JPOP magic. But he does not say those who do are fools. Nor do I say those who dont are fools. JPOP is an artist some are inspired others are not.

For me and many others JPOP is creating a realm of imagination beyond the pinball table. Noone else is able to do that. That´s why Zidware collected so much money. Just bc he did not deliver does not mean his art is fools gold but that emotional connection is what I was seeing in this thread in the beginning and thats why this thread is toxic and needs and will go into the gutter soon.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

serious design flaws

I didn´t see any serious design flaws in the RAZA prototype it worked just fine from what i saw in the videos esp the ramp was doable (on the fly).

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

From what we saw

No from what you saw you saw serious design flaws and a terrible table me and many others did not.

#9215 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This just up!
[quoted image]

So are they trying to sell soiled underwear because they craped themselves when they realized it's going to take 25yrs to break even?

#9216 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

There are many who don´t "get" the JPOP magic and you are obviously one of them. You are like my uncle he also does not see the JPOP magic. But he does not say those who do are fools. Nor do I say those who dont are fools. JPOP is an artist some are inspired others are not.
For me and many others JPOP is creating a realm of imagination beyond the pinball table. Noone else is able to do that. That´s why Zidware collected so much money. Just bc he did not deliver does not mean his art is fools gold but that emotional connection is what I was seeing in this thread in the beginning and thats why this thread is toxic and needs and will go into the gutter soon.

I didn´t see any serious design flaws in the RAZA prototype it worked just fine from what i saw in the videos esp the ramp was doable (on the fly).

No from what you saw you saw serious design flaws and a terrible table me and many others did not.

You didn’t notice the ramp that was so impossible to make they had to redo the code to reward you for failed shots?

You, my friend, have been blinded by jpop bullshit. It’s pink and green and purple and has little candy corn nuggets in it, but it’s still shit.

#9217 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

There are many who don´t "get" the JPOP magic and you are obviously one of them.

Interesting take. Words are tone deaf so understand I'm not attacking you at all here. For me, the JPOP "magic" is how he has always taken a theme and so excellently integrated it into pinball. The artwork has always been second to none. A JPOP machine is so easy to spot because of it.
Spinny toy (for me personally super annoying)
Weird short skill shot shooter lane (for me personally super annoying)
One "fancy" ramp

Theatre of Magic (for me) was probably one of the "less" toy annoying JPOP jobs. Still weak shooter lane and one fancy ramp.
Now look at RAZA.
CHECK - Spinny toy (Basically every JPOP machine)
CHECK - Weird short skill shot shooter lane (Basically every JPOP machine)
CHECK - One "fancy" ramp (Basically every JPOP machine)
Roll over switches ala WCS94 and CV
Moving target (NED) ala WCS94 striker the goalie

Anyway, Robert spoke quite strongly of "innovation." I'm NOT saying RAZA is bad - but what I am saying is this game is CHOCK full of JPOP recycled ideas. I don't see any innovation here?
In all fairness maybe I'm missing the innovation piece and someone can educate me.

#9218 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Just bc he did not deliver does not mean his art is fools gold

Just so you know, that is the exact definition of Fool's Gold.

#9219 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

This is just getting stupid.
If deeproot really wants us to take them seriously we need to see facts, not puzzles.

Just to make sure it wasn't a Magic Eye / Stereogram puzzle, I stared at the image close up for a few seconds. A pinball machine did not appear :-/

#9220 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Interesting take. Words are tone deaf so understand I'm not attacking you at all here. For me, the JPOP "magic" is how he has always taken a theme and so excellently integrated it into pinball. The artwork has always been second to none. A JPOP machine is so easy to spot because of it.
One "fancy" ramp
Theatre of Magic (for me) was probably one of the "less" toy annoying JPOP jobs. Still weak shooter lane and one fancy ramp.
Now look at RAZA.
Anyway, Robert spoke quite strongly of "innovation." I'm NOT saying RAZA is bad - but what I am saying is this game is CHOCK full of JPOP recycled ideas. I don't see any innovation here?
In all fairness maybe I'm missing the innovation piece and someone can educate me.

There is a rotating target bank on the left hand side. It's an EM concept he's modernizing, which to me is the more JPop design trait. The swinging NED target is straight from a 70s EM game.

Also there is a cool little jump ramp that the ball goes up, hits a target, and then rolls back under the same ramp. It's a neat little design. It might be on something older, but it looked new.

#9221 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

One "fancy" ramp
Now look at RAZA.

I'm still hoping the innovation comes from what we...haven't...been shown yet. Once they fully unveil RAZA, and ideally one or two more fully functional games (whenever that will occur) then it seems like a more fair time to assess Robert's claim.

Stern is most interested in profit and scraping by with the lowest BOM possible. So any approach or high minded claim other than what Stern is doing year after year, at least is attention getting.

Deeproot is a total fantasy right now, but that fantasy is the most engaging, even compared to JJP possibly being more streamlined as ownership rears it's head with each new game.

#9222 3 years ago

What innovation do people actually want that the player will notice?

Like they might innovate some sort of rotisserie system for maintenance, but the average player isn't going to care about that.

They might have been able to beat Stern to the online functionality, but it's increasingly less likely. JJP already got the WiFi code update out.

Stern rightfully gets shit on for their quality control, but they're more innovative than people give them credit for. Like the projector on Stranger Things is cool, the game itself is just middling. (Oh man, if deeproot does have some sort of breakthrough "innovation" but the actual game part turns out to stuck. That sounds like popcorn time)

#9223 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Deeproot is a total fantasy right now, but that fantasy is the most engaging, even compared to JJP possibly being more streamlined as ownership rears it's head with each new game.

Well, you nailed that part of it. Beyond a doubt.

The fantasy is almost always more exciting and enticing than reality. And deep root has always delivered in this department, in spades.

The crappy RAZA proto we all saw is the reality. It seems like the best model for keeping people interested is to simply never release anything, that way the perfect, fantastical Jpop machine will always exist in the minds of the thirsty.

#9224 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The crappy RAZA proto we all saw is the reality.

Hmmm we must have seen a different game as I rather liked what I seen and look forward to owning one personally. Seems most are more infatuated with the history of Jpop (an employee) then the games they are building? Luckily, Jpop doesn’t come with the game purchase so I am happy to not care about his past.

#9225 3 years ago

I love jpops designs and can't wait to see more. There are many pinheads like me that are happy to see more of his games come to fruition.

He'll have the help and expertise he needs to bring the magic to life, and debts are settled via Deeproot. It's a new era.

Couch critics be haters, and you'll be bitching no matter how good the games are.

The frog in my belly says " ribbit, games will be awesome!"

#9226 3 years ago

The older RAZA translite art and side cabinet art, and the play field art was amazing. I feel like they didn't really care about the art in the deeproot version of the game.

#9227 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The fantasy is almost always more exciting and enticing than reality. And deep root has always delivered in this department, in spades.

Ultimately we can only judge them as fantasy until they become a reality.

Even if they don't produce a single game, I kinda feel they'd still be less disappointing than Stern's titles. Now if they produce games as mediocre as Stern, then I'll be genuinely disappointed.

#9228 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Even if they don't produce a single game, I kinda feel they'd still be less disappointing than Stern's titles. Now if they produce games as mediocre as Stern, then I'll be genuinely disappointed.

*****ROLLS EYES******

#9229 3 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

*****ROLLS EYES******

I was like, yaa, thats some mental gymnastics right there.

#9230 3 years ago

I will admit, I just want to be "that guy" that says "OMG! I haven't been here in 30 days because I am soooo busy and just thought surely there is something new or leaked"!

#9231 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I was like, yaa, thats some mental gymnastics right there.

Just my view. Not interested in buying games by Stern till they place more into build quality, better lcd, more novel use of the playfield and mechs, etc. I feel like Ripley's felt more like a pin from the B/W's 90's era than anything they've done since, maybe excluding Ghostbusters.

It's great that pinball has survived thanks to them existing solo, but their brand of pinball has never really interested me to the point of owning.

Hopefully Deeproot pushes much farther in the ways I feel Stern has languished. If they don't, more cash in my pocket.

#9233 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Just my view. Not interested in buying games by Stern till they place more into build quality, better lcd, more novel use of the playfield and mechs, etc. I feel like Ripley's felt more like a pin from the B/W's 90's era than anything they've done since, maybe excluding Ghostbusters.
It's great that pinball has survived thanks to them existing solo, but their brand of pinball has never really interested me to the point of owning.
Hopefully Deeproot pushes much farther in the ways I feel Stern has languished. If they don't, more cash in my pocket.

Sorry not sure many would agree with you on this. Yes they have some issues but that Can and Will happen when you are the primary company building 90% of the pinball world products. Just the law of averages you will have more opinions and yes some issues. I personally Love all that Stern has offered and enough variety (more then one title) to appear to many tastes. Not an easy task I would bet. You might consider Owning a Stern some day to give your personal opinion of their quality and enjoyment vs what is pitched in a forum. Just a suggestion. In my view Stern is doing a lot of amazing things and most companies Wish they were in their position is my guess.

#9234 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I generally agree. Uncle Gary has cost cut the company too far for my tastes. IMDNLE will be my last Stern. Value just isn't there for me anymore. Just think about SPP or LOTR. They would be ultra-super-duper-pooper-scooper LEs if they were made today. That era is gone for good, and it ain't a good thing. I really hope Deeproot knocks out of of the park so we get some healthy competition.

#9235 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Even if they don't produce a single game, I kinda feel they'd still be less disappointing than Stern's titles.

Well, then they certainly have the right designer working for them.

#9236 3 years ago

Complicated mechs aren’t making a come back with even more home collectors who can’t figure out something like replacing a drop target. Hell I did a service call on a Batman 66 where the screw securing the bat to the crank simply fell off. Took apart a Metallica rising cross toy to replace the flash bulb. Very simple stuff that a lot of home owners are intimidated by or don’t know where to begin.

#9237 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Generally I agree that Stern has had some fairly lackluster releases recently - Munsters and Stranger Things come to mind. I hate that they can't even upgrade their damn coil stops, not to mention the clear issues.

But JP2 and Elvira3 have been KNOCK. OUT. good. The gameplay on JP2 is really interesting, the playfield is well laid out, the toys on the Prem are amazing - it's a solid package. (yeah the LCD work is kinda lame). EHOH on the other hand, is almost the reverse. Somehow Lyman figured out how to make the fan layout interesting, the art and LCD screen work is AMAZINGLY well integrated. I am just bowled over by that game. It's super fun, and there are a million modes. I haven't even seen half the game, and I play it every day.

#9238 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Ultimately we can only judge them as fantasy until they become a reality.

See, this post here sums up the delusion of your average deep root fetishist. When you are searching for a meaning in your life, a cure for emptiness, the fantasy (deep root) will always eclipse reality (stern). The delusion and longing for meaning runs so deep that you crave unfulfilled fantasy to the point that it means more to you than actual reality. You can’t touch it, buy it, or play it, yet it’s “less disappointing” than what reality actually has to offer.

It’s really quite fascinating! I’ll be following up with some questions once I secure the collegiate funding grant I need to complete my study on this psychological consumerist phenomena.

#9239 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

See, this post here sums up the delusion of your average deep root fetishist. When you are searching for a meaning in your life, a cure for emptiness, the fantasy (deep root) will always eclipse reality (stern). The delusion and longing for meaning runs so deep that you crave unfulfilled fantasy to the point that it means more to you than actual reality. You can’t touch it, buy it, or play it, yet it’s “less disappointing” than what reality actually has to offer.
It’s really quite fascinating!

Reality for the most part is a bit s#it! Lol

#9240 3 years ago

Fact 1: Deeproot owes me a RAZA from the Zidware situation.
Fact 2: I'm neither a Stern nor an Avengers fanboy.

That said...

Fact 3: Elwin's new game shows more "innovation" (aka - creative layout) in the (1?) year he's spent working on it than jpop's game has in the better part of a decade that he's been noodling on RAZA.

Iron Maiden and Jurassic Park weren't for me (and maybe not Avengers either), but bring on the new blood designers. I have no interest in the Avengers theme, and haven't bought a Stern since STLE. But despite working for the "cost-cutting" Stern, Elwin's new game looks PACKED with creative stuff and has me interested.

Bottom line: Jpop is a has-been. I still have 2 of his 90s games, and was lured into RAZA, but what has he done since CV that's remotely interesting? SWE1? Magic Girl? RAZA? I hope Deeproot has better things in the hopper, because the old guard seems to be just that...old and tired. And this is coming from someone who has a literal financial interest in Deeproot being successful.

#9241 3 years ago

Is it just me.....?
Everytime I see his name....jpop,
I read it as J-poop.

#9242 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Is it just me.....?
Everytime I see his name....jpop,
I read it as J-poop.

Remember when calling him Jpoop was actually banned around here?

#9243 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sorry not sure many would agree with you on this. Yes they have some issues but that Can and Will happen when you are the primary company building 90% of the pinball world products. Just the law of averages you will have more opinions and yes some issues. I personally Love all that Stern has offered and enough variety (more then one title) to appear to many tastes. Not an easy task I would bet. You might consider Owning a Stern some day to give your personal opinion of their quality and enjoyment vs what is pitched in a forum. Just a suggestion. In my view Stern is doing a lot of amazing things and most companies Wish they were in their position is my guess.

Lots of people would definitely disagree with me for sure, as lots of people are Stern owners, and are pretty contented about that....and that's a positive!

I didn't say that Stern isn't highly accomplished, and very efficient, as well as prolific, and most important profitable! They just don't fit my personal style for aesthetics, quality for price, theme selection, etc. And...that's okay too.

I've thought about buying an Elwin game, if any, but for me I feel like Stern's incredible strengths also hinder in some ways the overwhelming positives he brings.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s really quite fascinating! I’ll be following up with some questions once I secure the collegiate funding grant I need to complete my study on this psychological consumerist phenomena.

Well....that's kind of the point of any fantasy, be it religion, a marriage ceremony, new career you're striving for, a film, etc. Building and striving towards a goal represents hope, and elusive hope can often have a long lifespan, often more than an attainable representation of hope.

Most likely unattainable, but something you very badly wish to occur. Deeproot.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Generally I agree that Stern has had some fairly lackluster releases recently - Munsters and Stranger Things come to mind. I hate that they can't even upgrade their damn coil stops, not to mention the clear issues.
But JP2 and Elvira3 have been KNOCK. OUT. good. The gameplay on JP2 is really interesting, the playfield is well laid out, the toys on the Prem are amazing - it's a solid package. (yeah the LCD work is kinda lame). EHOH on the other hand, is almost the reverse. Somehow Lyman figured out how to make the fan layout interesting, the art and LCD screen work is AMAZINGLY well integrated. I am just bowled over by that game. It's super fun, and there are a million modes. I haven't even seen half the game, and I play it every day.

I've heard nothing but overwhelming praise for EHOH, and haven't had a ton of time on it with newer code. And I definitely appreciate Elwin's design sense more than any other recent game by them, except for maybe Deadpool.

#9244 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Complicated mechs aren’t making a come back with even more home collectors who can’t figure out something like replacing a drop target.

Guess this post didn't age well...

Less than an hour later... Stern Drops Avengers II...

#9245 3 years ago

Deepwho? Stern is back to eating everyone's lunch as usual. A lame teaser isn't going to cut it any more, guys.

#9246 3 years ago

I'd also like to point out it's been 62 days since TMNT was released. 2 months and they release a completely new game.
How is deeproot ever going to release more titles than any other manufacturer?

#9247 3 years ago

JP and Elvira are two of the best games ever released. STH is great too.

I'd say Stern is crushing it. Avengers looks like another Elwin home run.

IF DR can even come close to what Stern is putting out then they will have success.

Competition is a good thing.

To deny what Stern is accomplishing right now just means you aren't paying any attention!!

#9248 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Guess this post didn't age well...
Less than an hour later... Stern Drops Avengers II...

What complicated mechs do you see? It's mostly ramps and habitrails. The spinning platter into a subway is a neat mech that I'm excited to learn how it works, but everything else is pretty dang easy from a maintenance perspective.

#9249 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'd also like to point out it's been 62 days since TMNT was released. 2 months and they release a completely new game.

You have to hand it to Stern. In the craziest of times they keep rolling along !

I was thinking that after Williams closed and they were all alone in pinball in the worst decade in coin op ever and managed to stay alive. I wonder if those hard times made them stronger to get through what is all going on now ?

LTG : )

#9250 3 years ago

TAIQ looks great could very well be a gem like JP. It not only looks good (best art package in years from Stern) but probably also shoots well. Problem for RAZA is the theme is similar. Much better business choice from Stern releasing that now instead of LZ the timing could not be nastier for deeproot. TAIQ has a lot of interesting stuff on 3 levels (on premium) so the RAZA release must be significantly better than the prototype to not disappoint in that light.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 185 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/185 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.