• 1,148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by blueberryjohnson
  • Topic is favorited by 308 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

deeprootcapital-321-2024.02.27.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 7.56.45?PM (resized).png
SEC-140-2024.02.05.pdf (PDF preview)
SEC-139-2024.01.25.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot_20240112_175938_Chrome (resized).jpg
403765574_876339380515815_4670370081257223759_n (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.41.36?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.29.19?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.27.08?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.42?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.26.05?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.25.18?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 10.24.27?PM (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

357 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 669.
#9151 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People who don't really like pinball dove into pinball and desperately want a lifeline. All you gotta do is promise to completely change pinball into something these people will actually like and you become a cult figure.

It's like they all need a Jim Jones in their pinball life... as if there isn't 70+ years of pinballs they could entertain themselves with..

I think you could pull it off Levi... you got the mic skills... reinvent the next Pinball Messiah

#9152 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Sure, but they didn't start out with comments like "Stern sucks" and "Pinball is easy", and ridiculous brags about shipping "dozens of titles" with Ferrari quality and Kia prices. JJP and CGC have spent far more time and effort building their games and far less time bragging about it.
Extraordinary claims should require extraordinary results. I think everyone (probably even Robert now) realizes that pinball is not easy.
My point was that even if deeproot manages to ship a game soon (and I hope that they do), they don't have much justification to be telling people to "suck it".

jack never said pinball was easy, but he was pretty vocal about stern cutting costs.. then he realized how expensive pinball really is to make and his "fully loaded game that didnt cut corners" woz quickly went from a $6k to $7500 game by the time it hit production. only the early pre-order buyers got that low pricing.

#9153 3 years ago

Jack was pissed-off Stern was taken out a lot of stuff for the same price.
He would do it better so he starts his own company.
Now he puts every thing back in again and now you pay almost the double as the (bare) Stern pro.
So tell me what did JJP beter than Stern.
So lets see if deeproot can build a decent (pro) game for a "Kia" price.

#9154 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

jack never said pinball was easy, but he was pretty vocal about stern cutting costs.. then he realized how expensive pinball really is to make and his "fully loaded game that didnt cut corners" woz quickly went from a $6k to $7500 game by the time it hit production. only the early pre-order buyers got that low pricing.

Umm...I never said Jack said this...it was Robert from deeproot that said pinball was easy. I think you are confusing two different people and two different companies.

#9155 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

Sure, but they didn't start out with comments like "Stern sucks" and "Pinball is easy", and ridiculous brags about shipping "dozens of titles" with Ferrari quality and Kia prices. JJP and CGC have spent far more time and effort building their games and far less time bragging about it.
Extraordinary claims should require extraordinary results. I think everyone (probably even Robert now) realizes that pinball is not easy.
My point was that even if deeproot manages to ship a game soon (and I hope that they do), they don't have much justification to be telling people to "suck it".

You have a source for the „Stern Sucks“ statement?

Pinball IS easy, people build them in their basements all the time. Now try to build a car, a rocket, a spaceship or a nuclear reactor in your basement.

#9156 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Jack was pissed-off Stern was taken out a lot of stuff for the same price.
He would do it better so he starts his own company.
Now he puts every thing back in again and now you pay almost the double as the (bare) Stern pro.
So tell me what did JJP beter than Stern.
So lets see if deeproot can build a decent (pro) game for a "Kia" price.

Jack was telling Stern to make more feature rich games... that the market was there for the high end games, not more and more stripped out games as Stern was doing as they raced to the bottom. Jack was not harping on the price point - he was harping on the product.

What did JJP do better than Stern? Recognize the market.

#9157 3 years ago

Update Theres a 20 in it!!! 20th of September (2020h. You son of a bitch I’m in.

#9158 3 years ago

I think history is important. I've only been in the hobby for about a decade so I don't know if Stern came out of the gate with a braggadocios approach or not. I do vaguely remember JJP came out fairly humble and over promised and under delivered. Of course both owners eventually fired some not so friendly comments at one another. Human nature - swinging D contest lol.
Not making any excuses for DR but I can at least understand/believe from the beginning Robert was truly excited. I'll "guess" he had somebody in his ear that he trusted implicitly promising things that Robert didn't have any real knowledge of and he "like us" felt incredible passion for pinball realizing that it's become over priced and uninspiring. It's kind of amazing really .... human nature. Where passion can lead us. Good or bad.
Successful corporations are successful because the founder surrounded his/herself with "qualified" people who share the same vision. If I was Robert, I'd hire a PR person to do damage control. Likely a female because most men won't attack a female. She could relay Roberts thoughts in such a manner that resonates more than if it came out of his own mouth.

Or I could just be talking outta my butt. I've been known to do that ...... a lot. LOL

#9159 3 years ago

Teaser webpage if it's a hint, surely Fire and Brimstone.

Aren't they doing this title?

#9160 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

history is important

Too late for that. We have a release date. You had 3 years to discuss that. When Raza is out there’s a cut day 0.

#9161 3 years ago

I judge wisely if nothing ever surprise me. This date is real.

#9162 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I think history is important. I've only been in the hobby for about a decade so I don't know if Stern came out of the gate with a braggadocios approach or not.

Kinda hard to answer considering just how long the Stern family has been in pinball. They helped found Williams after all. I don't know if they did, but I don't think you could blame them for talking trash when they started Stern Electronics, Data East Pinball, or Stern Pinball

More amusing is Stern's copycat history. When the started Stern Electronics, they bought the company that designed Bally's solid state system. They did a similar thing by copying Williams System 11 when they started Data East Pinball.

Stern has a long history of being sued over the copying and would occasionally get cheeky with stuff like the meaning of TYFFASI on their flipper boards.

#9163 3 years ago

This is still a Deeproot thread. I dont care about history from any other manufacturer. Can't we move on already from this?

#9164 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Teaser webpage if it's a hint, surely Fire and Brimstone.
Aren't they doing this title?

Terrible name. Makes you think of it in a negative Southern Baptist way.

Mine was gonna be Cecile b deMille/Michael Bay/God of War action spectacular. No God, no Jesus, just action and based on the Books of Moses for Jewish compatibility.

Curious to see how badly they screw up the concept they "borrowed" from me.

#9165 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Can't we move on already from this?

The day has soon come this thread is in the gutter. I was in in the beginning when so much hate against anything and anyone existed who had no deathwish against JPop (a bit exaggerated) really low. Things have calmed and deemotionalised but this pesty vibe contaminates the whole thread that’s why it’s cursed and must and will go down.

#9166 3 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9167 3 years ago

I look forward to the Raza owner thread. Very excited.

#9168 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Terrible name. Makes you think of it in a negative Southern Baptist way.
Mine was gonna be Cecile b deMille/Michael Bay/God of War action spectacular. No God, no Jesus, just action and based on the Books of Moses for Jewish compatibility.
Curious to see how badly they screw up the concept they "borrowed" from me.

Just curious what you would have called it. Would it have been Bible Adventures?

Seems hard to find the right name that has the tone of respect yet appealing to godless millennials like myself that want nothing to do with Judeo-Christian folklore. Fire and Brimstones actually probably does split the difference.

#9169 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Bible Adventures

Wrath of Olympus (ancient Greek religion)
brilliant theme

Legends of Valhalla (ancient German religion)
brilliant theme

Any present religion
Awful theme it’s just too serious to associate fun with it.

#9170 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Bible Adventures

Any point system in that theme is wrong. In general christianity is about modesty and the empire of the poor, disabled and outcast. Stacking wealth is against the classical Jesus movement only a few Christian branches like the French calvinists encouraged wealth stacking the rest of the rich payed money to the church to get absolution for their riches. So your points would have to be constantly 0. Horrible theme.

#9171 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Any present religion

But what if it was a Congo re-themed into being about Xenu and Scientologists? It's got the volcano already, just add in a DC-10 somewhere and make the lower playfield a e-meter display that changes value based on how hard you press the flipper buttons.

#9172 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

But what if it was a Congo re-themed into being about Xenu and Scientologists? It's got the volcano already, just add in a DC-10 somewhere and make the lower playfield a e-meter display that changes value based on how hard you press the flipper buttons.

They were actually DC-8s. DC 10s are way too large too fit down the mouth of a volcano.

Wait is Deep Root really doing the bible story thing? That could sell tens of units!

#9173 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Any point system in that theme is wrong. In general christianity is about modesty and the empire of the poor, disabled and outcast. Stacking wealth is against the classical Jesus movement only a few Christian branches like the French calvinists encouraged wealth stacking the rest of the rich payed money to the church to get absolution for their riches. So your points would have to be constantly 0. Horrible theme.

Well the proposed game would be old testament only, so no Jesus. Some classics like the plagues of Egypt, Noah, and maybe some of the lesser known "fun" stories like Elisha cursing children for making fun of his bald head and a pair of she-bears tore forty-two children to pieces.

#9174 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They were actually DC-8s. DC 10s are way too large too fit down the mouth of a volcano.
Wait is Deep Root really doing the bible story thing? That could sell tens of units!

Lol. While theme is not the end all be all I wouldn't take a bible theme pin for free. No thanks.

#9175 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You're right. Apologizes all around if I offended any Scientologist (in a way I didn't mean to)

#9176 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Well the proposed game would be old testament only, so no Jesus. Some classics like the plagues of Egypt, Noah, and maybe some of the lesser known "fun" stories like Elisha cursing children for making fun of his bald head and a pair of she-bears tore forty-two children to pieces.

Just goes to show.....God must not be all knowing.
Created EVERYTHING in 6 days......but I have no doubt he (she?) would have called it and rested after day 5 if he'd had the foresight to see that those created in his image would take years to produce this flaming turd of a theme.

#9177 3 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Just goes to show.....God must not be all knowing.
Created EVERYTHING in 6 days......but I have no doubt he (she?) would have called it and rested after day 5 if he'd had the foresight to see that those created in his image would take years to produce this flaming turd of a theme.

Even god couldn't create a pinball company in six days

#9178 3 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

[quoted image]

Well, it looks like the last missing number is "2021", when 9-20 will be on a Monday.

#9179 3 years ago

Isn't this just Month/year/day? so we have sep.t 2020 and no day yet?

#9180 3 years ago

Yes I would have called it Bible Adventures.

And it would have been much better rules-wise than Viking or Greeks because in western culture people are far more familiar with the Bible OH SNAP!

#9181 3 years ago

This is still a Deeproot thread. I dont care about history from any other manufacturer. Can't we move on already from this?

Yes your right sorry, but there is nothing to move on at the moment.

#9182 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes I would have called it Bible Adventures.
And it would have been much better rules-wise than Viking or Greeks because in western culture people are far more familiar with the Bible OH SNAP!

Not for me, if i hear bible i"am out.
I don"t believe in religion, let alone a pinball machine about GOD.
But i respect everyone who does and like a bible adventure pinball.

#9183 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Yes your right sorry, but there is nothing to move on at the moment.

Plenty. Whose games are you most interested in.. Barry Oursler, Dennis Nordman, JPOP?

Dennis has 2 unlicensed titles. I hadn't heard much about Barry's games whether any of them would be licensed. JPOP has MG, RAZA, AIW in process as well as 2 others that Robert mentioned one of these is licensed.

#9184 3 years ago

Plenty. Whose games are you most interested in.. Barry Oursler, Dennis Nordman, JPOP?
Dennis has 2 unlicensed titles. I hadn't heard much about Barry's games whether any of them would be licensed. JPOP has MG, RAZA, AIW in process as well as 2 others that Robert mentioned one of these is licensed.

I like them all to see.
I always believed in Deeproot.
We have to wait a little longer.

#9185 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Of course both owners eventually fired some not so friendly comments at one another

Show me a time Gary Stern has been anything but gracious

#9187 3 years ago
Quoted from BazilBLast:

If DR eventually pump out decent games , all of this wait will be forgotten - forgiven , just like jjp .
I wish them all the best , especially for people who have money in this .

When I have a tracking number.

#9188 3 years ago

9.0.20. d.ollars MSRP

#9189 3 years ago

>>>>>I do vaguely remember JJP came out fairly humble and over promised and under delivered. Of course both owners eventually fired some not so friendly comments at one another. Human nature - swinging D contest lol.

How in any way did JJP underdeliver? They threw literally everything in the pinball book at the game: Two mini playfields, flippers galore, rollovers, sculpted toys, crazy light show, the whole LCD in the backbox, sophisticated troubleshooting, a world class designer, wooden apron, etc, etc....

They invented the LE, and at the time it was their base model.

#9190 3 years ago

I am personally excited to see what Barry O. has been working on. Love his classic titles.

#9191 3 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

>>>>>I do vaguely remember JJP came out fairly humble and over promised and under delivered. Of course both owners eventually fired some not so friendly comments at one another. Human nature - swinging D contest lol.
How in any way did JJP underdeliver? They threw literally everything in the pinball book at the game: Two mini playfields, flippers galore, rollovers, sculpted toys, crazy light show, the whole LCD in the backbox, sophisticated troubleshooting, a world class designer, wooden apron, etc, etc....
They invented the LE, and at the time it was their base model.

Under delivered meaning not the quality of the product but the timeline WOZ was supposed to start shipping.

#9192 3 years ago

Robert talked about some Deeproot titles only having one version and other an LE and lower model(s).

#9193 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I hope you are just as hard on JJP and CGC. JJP started in 2011 and they had a very rough first 6 years. MMR was announced in 2013 but it has been a slow drip from them and the machines are already fully designed.
JJP) 5 games in 9 years
CGC) 3 in 7 years

Lest we forget American Pinball. 3 pins faster to market than anyone other than Stern, if I am correct? It can be done, and hell, AP initially took on JPOP, then cut him loose. Its amazing he was picked up by anyone at that point.

Anyway...

#9194 3 years ago

How about the Crusades? Maybe I could behind that? Or if bible adventures maybe a multiball mode where you have to load the animals on Noahs Ark? Might be funny/fun.

#9195 3 years ago

Relevant-

Super 3-D Noah's Ark for the SNES. An unlicensed Bible adventure... unlicensed doom clone for the Super Nintendo.

Warning: Narrator language.

#9197 3 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

Wrath of Olympus (ancient Greek religion)
brilliant theme
Legends of Valhalla (ancient German religion)
brilliant theme
Any present religion

"Popular" theme being taken on by DR ... ?

#9198 3 years ago

I like that they've updated their website and hopefully are ready to go soon, but to be honest this new "vague" countdown (or maybe it is only a reveal of a date that leads to a new countdown?) is getting a bit tiring.

#9199 3 years ago

This just up!

55791919adabb980510abde05f5b3904c772f5cf.png (resized).jpg55791919adabb980510abde05f5b3904c772f5cf.png (resized).jpg
#9200 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

AP initially took on JPOP, then cut him loose. Its amazing he was picked up by anyone at that point.
Anyway...

In their defense, I don't think AP had any idea what they were stepping into when they hired Jpop. They were not pinball people, and they weren't aware of the history. What excuse did Deeproot have?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 33,437 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 669.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.