Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240411_062859517 (resized).jpg
IMG_2583.gif
deeprootcapital-401-2024.04.01.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

360 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 672.
#7801 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I feel like Jpop always seems to do something annoying with the shooter lane.

Then you just may not be a JPOP fan. I like the overall feel of his games being different so adding a special skill shot is another plus for me. There is not a real special skill shot on CV, so that is lacking on that game.

Quoted from CLEllison:

holding out to see some real proof of AIW.

Robert already stated, AIW is a 2021 game.

Doubt it will even be a 2021 game. Robert said they are going to turn it into something really special.

#7802 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I doubt they only have RAZA to show.

The launch event is only one day and only RAZA is scheduled. So expect only RAZA.

#7803 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Robert already stated, AIW is a 2021 game.

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that.

#7804 4 years ago

Wow really? Thats shocking. They would fly previous jpop buyers to the show to see RAZA as their only offering? So the 3 days of deeproot is one day and one game?

The launch event is only one day and only RAZA is scheduled. So expect only RAZA.

#7805 4 years ago

Or they only published what we know as listing anything else might kind of spoil the unveil? In just a few weeks we will know and the next round of speculation can begin. Till then I wouldn’t decipher much about what is written personally. All will be known when the curtain raises.

#7806 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Thanks for the info, I hadn't heard that.

Have a listen to Kaneda's podcast with Robert from deeproot.

#7807 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Wow really? Thats shocking. They would fly previous jpop buyers to the show to see RAZA as their only offering? So the 3 days of deeproot is one day and one game?

Doesn't mean they will not give out some sneak peaks on launch day. After listening to what Robert says in the interview on how far along other titles are, that is why I only see RAZA being revealed to the public at this launch.

There are 9 more months in the year to roll out more titles.

#7808 4 years ago

Lesson learned was to better „underpromise and overdeliver“.

So they have to have Raza 100% finished and ready to roll, but anything on top of that is still possible and a bonus.

Way better then to announce 5 games at launch that may be not ready and cut into sales from „waiters“ from the getgo.

Gary said it and Robert did as well:
Buy whats on the market now and not wait for some promises on the horizon.
They needz your moneyz NOW.

#7809 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I feel like Jpop always seems to do something annoying with the shooter lane. If this is his "game signature" I guess he'll end up ruining AIW for me as well. :/
I've been debating on buying a MMR SE or Royale and have been holding out to see some real proof of AIW.
I highly suspect (and hope I'm wrong) that the only news that's going to pop on the release is RAZA and MG finished products. They've taken way too long on those two titles .... I just can't see how they'd be able to progress on the others.

I actually like them...it's different than the feed to the top stuff.

#7810 4 years ago

And that is exactly the message they want Mad Gaz to be tuning into.

As far as I'm concerned (from what RM has said) this is the line for the public, prior to launch... (where "the public" really only mostly just means "stern" Lol)

#7811 4 years ago

I'm more curious about what they will show for their manufacturing capability at launch. Between now and the last interview wasn't very much time to go from zero manufacturing to a line that is ready to produce pinball machines within so many weeks from launch. Especially if they are making most of the parts in house.

#7814 4 years ago

On this, I can only speak for myself… Launch won’t be the unrealistic daydreams I’ve had a million times since 2015, but it also won’t be disappointing either. Being humbled the hard way as you finally have to switch from tinkering to implementing has definitely given me some gray hairs and taken a few years off my life.

I appreciate Robert's more humble tone. When I have shared my doubts, it was because what he was saying or doing made no sense. Seems like the rubber has met the road and we can at least see the payoff now and hopefully with less hubris.

#7815 4 years ago

Robert finally sounds like he is starting to get it...no jabs at any other manufacturers or community members, and a little bit of humble pie for dessert. Hopefully he continues to follow this path from here on out.

"Launch won’t be the unrealistic daydreams I’ve had a million times since 2015, but it also won’t be disappointing either. Being humbled the hard way as you finally have to switch from tinkering to implementing has definitely given me some gray hairs and taken a few years off my life."

#7816 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Robert finally sounds like he is starting to get it...no jabs at any other manufacturers or community members, and a little bit of humble pie for dessert. Hopefully he continues to follow this path from here on out.
"Launch won’t be the unrealistic daydreams I’ve had a million times since 2015, but it also won’t be disappointing either. Being humbled the hard way as you finally have to switch from tinkering to implementing has definitely given me some gray hairs and taken a few years off my life."

It absolutely does. He's moving the goalposts again, but at least this time with a much more conciliatory tone. Maybe by 2025 he'll really get it.

#7817 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing. That all sounds pretty exciting, and even if there is definately some hyperbole - all it really takes is one great idea from either deeproot or AP to get me to spend my cash on a new machine
Really looking forward to see what deeproot has to offer, can't wait!

#7818 4 years ago

Without a major license game in the pipeline, how does deeproot expect to achieve scale?

#7819 4 years ago

If Deeproot wanted to get any decent licences (which they surely realise they need to), as a startup company, they would probably at the least need to demonstrate to the licence holders that they could at least make a working tested playable pinball machine... I don't know, maybe say a hacked together basic working version of Zidawares RAZA ?

So they demonstrated that last year

#7820 4 years ago

Hmm...the goodwill agreement with Deeproot (for those that got screwed by Zidware) says we'll have multiple games to select from at launch. While I like Robert's more realistic tone over all, it's not sounding exactly like that will be our situation. RAZA isn't anything like what I signed up for back in the day, so I'll be really disappointed if that is our only option. That said, I'm grateful to Robert that I even have an option after how jpop screwed us.

#7821 4 years ago

If anything other than RAZA gets shown, I expect it to be B.O.’s newest design. I have met Barry now at so many shows, I have talked with him at the last TPF and Expo, he’s signed everything I have ever asked him too, and even everything I didn’t ask him to sign... I had a pile of promo plastics that I took with me to the show, and only asked him to sign one of my Pinbot promos when he then grabbed all the rest of my plastics, went through and said “Oh, you want me to sign all the others?” and proceeded to sign almost every promo from the pile. I learned that day just how many other Barry designs he had done, worked on, and even been a part of.

So why do I think Barry’s machine is going to be revealed? Because he has a way of putting out “just what you need” designs that, at first seem maybe too simple, yet that simplicity brings in the casual players in droves. This is exactly the kind of title you want to offer along with your big flashy first machine like RAZA... They need a product that backs up the big risky unlicensed first offering with a machine that makes money for operators. RAZA is there for the FOMO factor and getting collectors to jump onboard. If I was an operator, I would look harder at their second offering, and Barry has a track record of making machines that earn. This seems like a no-brainer to me if dr wants to appeal to both halves of the market.

#7822 4 years ago

I think there will be a third. Nordman surely has something done by now too!

#7823 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

So why do I think Barry’s machine is going to be revealed?

Because he's signed a lot of stuff for you?

#7824 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I appreciate Robert's more humble tone. When I have shared my doubts, it was because what he was saying or doing made no sense. Seems like the rubber has met the road and we can at least see the payoff now and hopefully with less hubris.

Meh... he's getting to the point where he can't just keep saying it, he has to prove it. And he's softening up because the deadline calls him to the mat.

But you can tell the core traits are still there.

Don't fret about the Launch... this is just the start! This is only a taste of what we are doing, there is plenty more to come (again.. more promises instead of more deliverables)

"We will be excited to show a portion of what we’ve been working on, on launch day"

"So even though we are only showing a portion..."

He's just trying to set the table so he can keep promising MORE futures and try to steer the conversation away from what was expected now.

And then what is all the garbage about 'pinball for the next century'?

This is a company that is years late, clearly is struggling with knowing what to do vs not do... and we get fed lines like "We never wanted to redefine pinball itself. Just redefine the expectations from pinball for the next century"

I mean... we're talking about an industry that is not even a century old itself (I'm not talking pre-war pin bagetelle stuff... EM and onward) and a company that can't get its first product out the door is talking about redefining the game for the next CENTURY.

That's the kind of engrained bullshit pumping spiel that has defined RM in this hobby to date.. and clearly hasn't learned his lesson or finished his humble pie.

#7825 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Without a major license game in the pipeline, how does deeproot expect to achieve scale?

Who says that they haven't? - Actually they said they'll do a mix and have a beloved 80's license and work on mechs that could (relieably) generate sparks and smoke, wich started the whole BTTF discussion.

How major it'll be we'll see.

I'd bet on Battlestar Galactica.

#7826 4 years ago

Yes, that whole interview is setting up the "Well, we are only showing RAZA today...but don't worry, we have several other machines/innovations coming 'soon'" presentation.

As to "Pinball for the next century"...that's their new delivery time-frame.

#7827 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because he's signed a lot of stuff for you?

No, because we had a very long and interesting conversation, not just, “hey can I get your autograph?”. Barry is not a big talker, unless you engage him, and so I do at every show we are both at. Most people walk right by him, and he is not like other designers, he doesn’t seek the lime light. But he is a great guy and is eager to talk, if you just pull up a chair and take the time. Some of the other designers play up the their popularity, and it’s a lot of fun, but if you want a great pinball discussion, sit down with Barry and shoot the breeze for more than 30 seconds and get a great history lesson in pinball. You’ll be glad you did.

#7828 4 years ago

Humble tone... not humble tone.... that’s the question...

#7829 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Who says that they haven't? - Actually they said they'll do a mix and have a beloved 80's license and work on mechs that could (relieably) generate sparks and smoke, wich started the whole BTTF discussion.
How major it'll be we'll see.
I'd bet on Battlestar Galactica.

It'll be perhaps the first self cleaning game.

#7830 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Meh... he's getting to the point where he can't just keep saying it, he has to prove it. And he's softening up because the deadline calls him to the mat.
But you can tell the core traits are still there.
Don't fret about the Launch... this is just the start! This is only a taste of what we are doing, there is plenty more to come (again.. more promises instead of more deliverables)
"We will be excited to show a portion of what we’ve been working on, on launch day"
"So even though we are only showing a portion..."
He's just trying to set the table so he can keep promising MORE futures and try to steer the conversation away from what was expected now.
And then what is all the garbage about 'pinball for the next century'?
This is a company that is years late, clearly is struggling with knowing what to do vs not do... and we get fed lines like "We never wanted to redefine pinball itself. Just redefine the expectations from pinball for the next century"
I mean... we're talking about an industry that is not even a century old itself (I'm not talking pre-war pin bagetelle stuff... EM and onward) and a company that can't get its first product out the door is talking about redefining the game for the next CENTURY.
That's the kind of engrained bullshit pumping spiel that has defined RM in this hobby to date.. and clearly hasn't learned his lesson or finished his humble pie.

Agreed and it will be interesting to finally see what they are going to reveal, but his so called quelled hubris, is not quite there yet...next 100 years, lol.

#7831 4 years ago

So here's something to speculate:

Will the Deeproot reveal and/ or TPF be cancelled due to Corona?
GOGOGO!!!

#7832 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

GOGOGO!!!

Well South by Southwest was! And although Austin is QUITE far away from Dallas, who knows...!

#7833 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

No, because we had a very long and interesting conversation, not just, “hey can I get your autograph?”. Barry is not a big talker, unless you engage him, and so I do at every show we are both at. Most people walk right by him, and he is not like other designers, he doesn’t seek the lime light. But he is a great guy and is eager to talk, if you just pull up a chair and take the time. Some of the other designers play up the their popularity, and it’s a lot of fun, but if you want a great pinball discussion, sit down with Barry and shoot the breeze for more than 30 seconds and get a great history lesson in pinball. You’ll be glad you did.

I was exposed to his Facebook feed a couple years ago. Don't need to have a conversation with that guy.

#7834 4 years ago

Sorry for the derail, but this about Spooky caught my attention much more:

"...we’re really excited to get Ben back, and it has been great planning and working with him again. And I think when people see what he’s done – I think when people see the layout and the coolness that Ben has come up with, it is pretty amazing.”

#7835 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Humble tone.. not humble tone.. that’s the question.

good luck to robert mueller and the horse he rides in on.

still sounds like the best he will manage to do is to SHOW.
humbletonian (resized).jpghumbletonian (resized).jpg

#7836 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

GOGOGO!!!

Hope for no cancellation

#7837 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

There is a dedicated thread on that and the answer is no cancellation.

#7838 4 years ago

There is a dedicated thread on that and the answer is no cancellation.

Ok, I root for us!

#7839 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

If Deeproot wanted to get any decent licences (which they surely realise they need to), as a startup company, they would probably at the least need to demonstrate to the licence holders that they could at least make a working tested playable pinball machine... I don't know, maybe say a hacked together basic working version of Zidawares RAZA ?
So they demonstrated that last year

No, that’s absolutely not how it works. You need one thing and one thing only to license: money.

The agreement will stipulate other things like creative control and use of elements of course.

I would expect DR to easily have the money to license something like BSG.

#7840 4 years ago

From reading that article it sounds like they are going from launching with 4 or 5 titles ready to ship to just one?? That won’t even be ready to ship??? And we have already seen it!!!

#7841 4 years ago

if DR holds off for one more week, they could reveal on april fools day.

#7842 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

This is how you'll have to play the pins at TPF.

IMG_20200310_204251 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_204251 (resized).jpg
#7843 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

No, that’s absolutely not how it works. You need one thing and one thing only to license: money.
The agreement will stipulate other things like creative control and use of elements of course.
I would expect DR to easily have the money to license something like BSG.

I'm a huge BSG fan; I was the administrator for the Battlestar Wiki for a long time and I cosplay as Galen Tyrol with a screen accurate BDU. However, I'm not sure that the property has that wide an appeal now. I appreciate that there's a new series in the works for the Peacock streaming service but it could turn out to be a turd it's been more than a decade since the finale of the re-imagined series, Daybreak PtIII and ultimately ends in harmony with the discarding of all the Colonial and Cylon tech. There's also a complex mythology around the Cylons and their genetic link to modern humans it's not as simple as goodies vs baddies / Autobots vs Decepticons that could translate into a pinball machine very easy. Happy to be proven wrong but I'm quite a big BSG fan and I don't envision a BSG pin at home.

#7844 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

From reading that article it sounds like they are going from launching with 4 or 5 titles ready to ship to just one?? That won’t even be ready to ship??? And we have already seen it!!!

I've just read it again and when did he say there was only one pin and nothing was available to ship? To me he stayed pretty evasive on the lunch itself.
However, he says a "portion" so I hope it will be enough to create interest, for that I agree on it's not a good choice of word.

#7845 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Bible Stories. Based on the greatest selling book of all time!

#7846 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

They probably ran smack into the reality of making pinball machines. One thing out of their control can gum up the works.

I'm sure they are fast at it. To get things done. And get games going.

I know some of the people working there. And I'm sure they are as excited to get things rolling as we are.

Give them time if they need it.

LTG : )

#7847 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

To me he stayed pretty evasive on the lunch itself.

Yeah. Pretty sure nobody knows what refreshments Deeproot will be serving at their reveal.

#7848 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Bible Stories. Based on the greatest selling book of all time!

gf.gifgf.gif
#7849 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Yeah. Pretty sure nobody knows what refreshments Deeproot will be serving at their reveal.

But if we did people would find a way to complain about that also.....

#7850 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

But if we did people would find a way to complain about that also.....

Heard its cheese and whiiiiine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 33,574 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 672.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twip-is-deeproot-the-next-misadventure-or-a-pinball-revolution/page/157?hl=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.